Follow

Eddie Brock

Character » Eddie Brock appears in 1060 issues.

Eddie Brock bonded with the dark alien symbiote after it was discarded by Spider-Man, becoming the first Venom. Later, Brock became Anti-Venom, but the symbiote was lost during the events of Spider-Island. Brock has also been forcibly bonded to the Toxin Symbiote by the Crime-Master, but has reluctantly given it up to stop Carnage. Recently he has re-bonded with Venom.

Why is 'Dark Origin' treated as canon and used in this wiki?

• 64 results
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By InnerVenom123

It shouldn't be, imo. Aside from the fact that the characterizations were all horrifically off, it doesn't use the cancer angle (the canon cancer angle). I mean, we've had stories with Eddie in the hospital, being cured, becoming Anti-Venom.... so why is Dark Origin being used as the origin here?
    Avatar image for theguywhothinkshesdeadpool
    TheguywhothinkshesDeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Because Chuck Norris says so.

No Caption Provided
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @TheguywhothinkshesDeadpool said:

" Because Chuck Norris says so.

No Caption Provided
    "
    HA! No, but seriously. Its like if I edited Deadpool's wiki and used Daniel Way's flashbacks from when he fought Ghost Rider as his origin and said there was no other origin. (which I believe were inaccurate, correct?).
    Symbiocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Symbiocide
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    "
    It shouldn't be, imo. Aside from the fact that the characterizations were all horrifically off, it doesn't use the cancer angle (the canon cancer angle). I mean, we've had stories with Eddie in the hospital, being cured, becoming Anti-Venom.... so why is Dark Origin being used as the origin here? "

You mean...you want that stupid cancer angle to be canonically? 

"I hate you Spider-Man...because I have cancer." 

"..."
    LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LT1085
    @TheguywhothinkshesDeadpool said:
    " Because Chuck Norris says so.
    No Caption Provided
    "
    Please leave.
    fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By fesak  Moderator
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    "
    It shouldn't be, imo. Aside from the fact that the characterizations were all horrifically off, it doesn't use the cancer angle (the canon cancer angle). I mean, we've had stories with Eddie in the hospital, being cured, becoming Anti-Venom.... so why is Dark Origin being used as the origin here? "
    It seems to be canon according to this article.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

If it's canon, that's just wrong. It was a really terrible story. It just seemed thrown together with no research and even less regard for Eddie's character.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By fesak  Moderator
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " If it's canon, that's just wrong. It was a really terrible story. It just seemed thrown together with no research and even less regard for Eddie's character. "
    We can't consider it non canon just because it's badly written.  
    If we could i would disregard OMD and all Jeph Loeb's stuff as non canon.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Mercy_
    @fesak said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " If it's canon, that's just wrong. It was a really terrible story. It just seemed thrown together with no research and even less regard for Eddie's character. "
    We can't consider it non canon just because it's badly written.  If we could i would disregard OMD and all Jeph Loeb's stuff as non canon. "
    I vote to put that into effect. With the exception of Batman/Superman: Supergirl. 
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @fesak said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    We can't consider it non canon just because it's badly written.  If we could i would disregard OMD and all Jeph Loeb's stuff as non canon. "
    I vote to put that into effect. With the exception of Batman/Superman: Supergirl.  "
    Batman: Hush, the Long Halloween and Dark Victory need to be excluded, they're awesome. 

Truthfully, I didn't like S/B:SG. I thought Batman was way out of character (and the movie was God-awful).
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Gylan Thomas

Didn't the cancer thing come way after Venoms first appearance? Relatively recently infact. Dark Origin was an update t omove things inline with BND from what I understood.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mercy_
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @fesak said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    I vote to put that into effect. With the exception of Batman/Superman: Supergirl.  "
    Batman: Hush, the Long Halloween and Dark Victory need to be excluded, they're awesome.   Truthfully, I didn't like S/B:SG. I thought Batman was way out of character (and the movie was God-awful). "
    Oh, oh! Finally got and read Hush. Absolutely amazing! 

:O BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!! It was great! The comic, not the movie, haven't actually seen it yet, but haven't heard anything good about it.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Gylan Thomas said:
    " Didn't the cancer thing come way after Venoms first appearance? Relatively recently infact. Dark Origin was an update t omove things inline with BND from what I understood. "
    No, the cancer was something Eddie ALWAYS HAD, it was just recently revealed is all. He had cancer, and the odd mix of adrenaline it made attracted the symbiote along with his negative emotions.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Symbiocide said:
    " @InnerVenom123 said:
    "
    You mean...you want that stupid cancer angle to be canonically?  "I hate you Spider-Man...because I have cancer."  "..." "
    Its not that I want it, its just that it IS canon. And 'Dark Origin' is so f**king terrible (and out of character, character designs wrong, origins screwed over). It doesn't mention the canon cancer, therefore, it is non-canon. Eddie is not a sociopath. 

What makes it worse is that 'NEW WAYS TO DIE' was running at the same time, and it had Eddie as a genuinely good guy with really f**ked up problems. I'd prefer the screwed up good guy over the Topher Grace clone, any day.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @Gylan Thomas said:
    " Didn't the cancer thing come way after Venoms first appearance? Relatively recently infact. Dark Origin was an update t omove things inline with BND from what I understood. "
    No, the cancer was something Eddie ALWAYS HAD, it was just recently revealed is all. He had cancer, and the odd mix of adrenaline it made attracted the symbiote along with his negative emotions. "
    So the cancer was retconned into always being there? Why was needed?
    I choose to ignore that sort of weak writing. 
    Hate retcons.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Gylan Thomas said:
    " @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @Gylan Thomas said:
    No, the cancer was something Eddie ALWAYS HAD, it was just recently revealed is all. He had cancer, and the odd mix of adrenaline it made attracted the symbiote along with his negative emotions. "
    So the cancer was retconned into always being there? Why was needed?I choose to ignore that sort of weak writing.  Hate retcons. "
    It wasn't, but it happened. That's the point. Dark Origin ignores it (and also it gets everyone out of character). Dark Origin should not be canon and used in this wiki, is what I'm getting at.
    fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fesak  Moderator
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @Gylan Thomas said:
    " @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @Gylan Thomas said:
    So the cancer was retconned into always being there? Why was needed?I choose to ignore that sort of weak writing.  Hate retcons. "
    It wasn't, but it happened. That's the point. Dark Origin ignores it (and also it gets everyone out of character). Dark Origin should not be canon and used in this wiki, is what I'm getting at. "
    So it was re-retconned. Happens all the time. We can't ignore it just because you don't like it.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @Gylan Thomas said:
    " @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @Gylan Thomas said:
    It wasn't, but it happened. That's the point. Dark Origin ignores it (and also it gets everyone out of character). Dark Origin should not be canon and used in this wiki, is what I'm getting at. "
    I read Dark Origin. Can't remember much about it. Wasn't real impressed. 
    Eddie always seemed a bit of a @ss hole to me though. Maybe survinving cancer changed him but even in new ways to die he didn't seem completely emotionally stable.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @fesak said:
    " @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @Gylan Thomas said:
    " @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @Gylan Thomas said:
    So it was re-retconned. Happens all the time. We can't ignore it just because you don't like it. "
    I can ignore :D
    I'm currently ignoring various elemnts of Superman too. The fact Clark was Superbiy again, he grew up with Lex and freeze breath for example. Totally ignoring 'em allbecause they're dumb
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @fesak said:
    " @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @Gylan Thomas said:
    " @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @Gylan Thomas said:
    So it was re-retconned. Happens all the time. We can't ignore it just because you don't like it. "
    Anti-Venom, Eddie's current form, can't exist without the cancer. Therefore, Dark Origin is non canon.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @fesak said:
    " @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @Gylan Thomas said:
    " @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @Gylan Thomas said:
    Anti-Venom, Eddie's current form, can't exist without the cancer. Therefore, Dark Origin is non canon. "
    I don't reckon Anti-Venom will be around for long more. With out a Venom no need for an Anti-Venom.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @InnerVenom123: Gargan won't be Venom, but there's probably gonna be a new host.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @InnerVenom123: Gargan won't be Venom, but there's probably gonna be a new host. "
    I'd suggest Eddie.
    Did Eddie know himself he had cancer way back when he first encountered the simbiote? That'd explain why it's not in Dark Origin and why he never mentioned it untill the dumb retcon.
    The Cancer first came in the Mark Millar series, right? I don't remember it being retconned as always being there back at that time. I might be wrong though.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Gylan Thomas: Eddie doesn't want the symbiote. Making it go back is a pipe dream, it would undo all the great characterization Eddie's gotten recently. 

Eddie knew he had cancer, its why he focused on his work so much, he was trying to do something with his life (also to impress his dad, as always). 
    (At least, from what I remember. But I know he knew he had it.)
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @Gylan Thomas: Eddie doesn't want the symbiote. Making it go back is a pipe dream, it would undo all the great characterization Eddie's gotten recently. 

Eddie knew he had cancer, its why he focused on his work so much, he was trying to do something with his life (also to impress his dad, as always). 
    (At least, from what I remember. But I know he knew he had it.) "
    I'm sure a writer couldcome up with some way to get Eddie back in black.
    Kinda lame the cancer thing was a total retcon though.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Gylan Thomas: There's no point in giving it back to Eddie. 

Yup. But its canon :P
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @Gylan Thomas: There's no point in giving it back to Eddie.   Yup. But its canon :P "
    Doesn't mean we have to like it :P

They often do stuff to the characters we like that seems pointless. Eddie was the first Venom and a lot of people liked him best as Venom. Making him Venom again would mean sales.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Gylan Thomas: Yes, but it does mean it has to be acknowledged. :P 

True. We'll just have to wait and see.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@InnerVenom123: I see your pain then...sorry I have angered you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@LT1085: You said please....so.....NO! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAH AHAHAAA-.....heh. That as epic.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @fesak said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    Batman: Hush, the Long Halloween and Dark Victory need to be excluded, they're awesome.   Truthfully, I didn't like S/B:SG. I thought Batman was way out of character (and the movie was God-awful). "
    Oh, oh! Finally got and read Hush. Absolutely amazing!  :O BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!! It was great! The comic, not the movie, haven't actually seen it yet, but haven't heard anything good about it. "
    Haha! Yes! Hush is my favourite comic book ever. It may not be the best, but it's still my favourite :D

I thought Batman was way too hard on Supes in S/B:SG. If anyone in the DCU understands the need to have a family, it's Bruce Wayne. Loeb focused too much on his paranoid side.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mercy_
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @fesak said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    Oh, oh! Finally got and read Hush. Absolutely amazing!  :O BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!! It was great! The comic, not the movie, haven't actually seen it yet, but haven't heard anything good about it. "
    Haha! Yes! Hush is my favourite comic book ever. It may not be the best, but it's still my favourite :D  I thought Batman was way too hard on Supes in S/B:SG. If anyone in the DCU understands the need to have a family, it's Bruce Wayne. Loeb focused too much on his paranoid side. "
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!! The fact that I knew who Hush was didn't hinder the story at all. LOVED it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Eh. I suppose so. xP
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @fesak said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    Haha! Yes! Hush is my favourite comic book ever. It may not be the best, but it's still my favourite :D  I thought Batman was way too hard on Supes in S/B:SG. If anyone in the DCU understands the need to have a family, it's Bruce Wayne. Loeb focused too much on his paranoid side. "
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!! The fact that I knew who Hush was didn't hinder the story at all. LOVED it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Eh. I suppose so. xP "
    Heh heh, well I'm an insane Batman fan, so if I think he's out of character, it hinders the story greatly for me :P

The movie is really bad though. It hampered my enjoyment of the comic. Supergirl gets hit with Omega Beams something like 11 times and keeps fighting :|
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Anti-Venom merges with regular Venom to create;

SUPER ULTRA MEGA VENOM!

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Mercy_
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @fesak said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!! The fact that I knew who Hush was didn't hinder the story at all. LOVED it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Eh. I suppose so. xP "
    Heh heh, well I'm an insane Batman fan, so if I think he's out of character, it hinders the story greatly for me :P  The movie is really bad though. It hampered my enjoyment of the comic. Supergirl gets hit with Omega Beams something like 11 times and keeps fighting :| "
    I can understand and sympathize with that. 

O_O You are $#itting me. That's effing ridiculous. 
    Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

I'd much rather not have The Beyonder's hideous retcon be acknowledged as cannon also but i just guess the powers that be just do go a little insane sometimes.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @fesak said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    Heh heh, well I'm an insane Batman fan, so if I think he's out of character, it hinders the story greatly for me :P  The movie is really bad though. It hampered my enjoyment of the comic. Supergirl gets hit with Omega Beams something like 11 times and keeps fighting :| "
    I can understand and sympathize with that.  O_O You are $#itting me. That's effing ridiculous.  "
    I know. It was just wrong. On top of that, Superman feels remorse for frying the DD clones (despite having killed multiple clones before that). WTF? There is no faux-death for Kara, Darkseid just leaves because he's scared of Clark and Kara (eye twitches). Darkseid. Scared. 

FAIL. 

I love DCAU movies, but this one was really, really bad. I was so disappointed.
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By Magian
    @FadeToBlackBolt: Really? They changed so many things?
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Mercy_
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @fesak said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    I can understand and sympathize with that.  O_O You are $#itting me. That's effing ridiculous.  "
    I know. It was just wrong. On top of that, Superman feels remorse for frying the DD clones (despite having killed multiple clones before that). WTF? There is no faux-death for Kara, Darkseid just leaves because he's scared of Clark and Kara (eye twitches). Darkseid. Scared.   FAIL.   I love DCAU movies, but this one was really, really bad. I was so disappointed. "
    WTF?!?! That's ridiculous. Scared? Christ. I don't know if I can see this movie. I don't think I can handle the epic fail that it seems to be full of. 

DCAU movies usually kick ass. 
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @ComicMan24:@The Dark Huntress: It really is awful. 

Another thing, and this is, in fairness, nitpicking. Where was Mister Miracle? I know that he didn't appear in the source, and for good reason, when you're writing with Turner, you want most characters to be female, but it could have been a real nice cameo, and they just left it out. As a big MM fan, that really bummed me out.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mercy_
    @FadeToBlackBolt: As much as I love Summer Glau, it's not enough to get me to see this movie.  

I agree. 
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Magian
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @ComicMan24:@The Dark Huntress: It really is awful.   Another thing, and this is, in fairness, nitpicking. Where was Mister Miracle? I know that he didn't appear in the source, and for good reason, when you're writing with Turner, you want most characters to be female, but it could have been a real nice cameo, and they just left it out. As a big MM fan, that really bummed me out. "
    I guess with all these changes they could make him appear. Did Harbinger appear?
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt: As much as I love Summer Glau, it's not enough to get me to see this movie.   I agree.  "
    She was good in it though :)
    @ComicMan24 said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @ComicMan24:@The Dark Huntress: It really is awful.   Another thing, and this is, in fairness, nitpicking. Where was Mister Miracle? I know that he didn't appear in the source, and for good reason, when you're writing with Turner, you want most characters to be female, but it could have been a real nice cameo, and they just left it out. As a big MM fan, that really bummed me out. "
    I guess with all these changes they could make him appear. Did Harbinger appear? "

Yes.

Also, it should be worth mentioning that the Green Arrow short was fantastic.
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Magian
    @FadeToBlackBolt: Nice. I liked her. The GA short was an original story, right?
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @ComicMan24: As far as I know, yes. It was the best short so far, imo. Even though Jonah Hex had Michelle "I love her" Trachtenberg in it :P
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mercy_
    @FadeToBlackBolt: Good enough to make up for everything else?
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Magian
    @FadeToBlackBolt: lol I will check it.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt: Good enough to make up for everything else? "
    Sadly, no. Watch Firefly again instead :P Or "Waiting in the Wings" (Season 3, episode 13 of Angel, Glau's first Whedonverse appearance)

@ComicMan24 said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt: lol I will check it. "

You shan't regret it.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Mercy_
    @FadeToBlackBolt: Isn't that the one with her as a dancer? I've been meaning to see it, because I know that she was a trained ballerina. It's actually quite evident in the way that she walks in Firefly/Serenity. 
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Magian
    @FadeToBlackBolt: I have to watch Angel eventually.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.