Follow

Dystopia

Concept » Dystopia appears in 1261 issues.

The future is a fertile ground for stories, but some of those invariably show where might have gone wrong (or are going wrong) as a civilization and species.

Dystopian Tools - Innocence

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz

No Caption Provided
     It has been a while since I even thought to do one of these of this series of blogs that I had planned.  A part of the problem is that I have had other writing projects on my mind and so instead of reading I have been doing a lot of writing.  I did finish up a few more dystopian books, but the problem is that there really aren't that many of them.  I finished We and then was going to read The Sleeper Awakes (which is not actually a dystopian novel) and then the Iron Heel and then stop, but The Sleeper Awakes was so non-engaging that I only got halfway through before giving up on it (though I will finish it and the Iron Heel someday, and maybe Virtual Light).  Recently though there was a novel released in comic form (which I have yet to read in this format) which got me thinking about dystopia again - the novel was A Wrinkle in Time.  A Wrinkle in Time is a lot more science fiction than it is dystopian, and as a small girl I watched the movie version of this and was terrified (I can't remember exactly how old I was - seven maybe, but the story involving a girl's scientist father getting kidnapped by an alien resounded with me as my father is a scientist) but underneath the freaky science fiction there is an element that people have to learn to think for themselves or else it will lead to a broken society of non-thinkers.     

The action in the novel is driven by three children, and children in a sense embody the nature of the protagonist in most dystopian novels be it Montag, Winston Smith, D-503, or any others.  That is the concept of innocence is a common one throughout the use of dystopia.  This generally takes the form of the protagonist doing what they think is best for the society, until they realize that they are part of the problem and in this way also the source of all of their own unhappiness and either the unhappiness of others or their ignorant bliss.  This is not so much the case for A Wrinkle in Time, but more so because it is a group of children that are the protagonists (and children are the best examples of innocence) who have not yet had the society impose all of its rigid rules on them before they decide how to act.  As a child the underlying message was maybe mostly lost on me, but a re-reading of this as an adult gave me a better insight on the dystopian nature of this book.  As an aspect of dystopian writing therefore the concept of innocence is inherent to the sub-genre, although not absolutely necessary. 
    No Caption Provided
    Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Delphic

I hope to eventually get around to reading (or at least watching) "A Wrinkle In Time". Anyway, a future novel you might like to read for Dystopian purposes if you haven't already is "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Philip K. Dick. It's the book that inspired Blade Runner. It might also be more sci-fi than dystopian, but from what I can judge about Blade Runner, it seems pretty dystopian to me. I plan to read this book soon myself.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @Delphic: I might read that someday, I have a hard time with books when I have already seen the movie as though the books are better I usually unconsciously piece together what is going to happen.  it is a good example of another sort of dystopian novel though, though it tends to focus more on the humanization of robot I think.  Plus the author is a Dick.  
    Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Delphic

@RazzaTazz: Well in the credits of Blade Runner, it said the movie was only "Inspired By" the novel. And did I just hear the RazzaTazz make a rather lewd insult? :P

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @Delphic: I was just making a joke because his last name is Dick.  ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.