Follow

Dragon Ball Universe

Concept » Dragon Ball Universe appears in 184 issues.

The shared universe between some of the works of Akira Toriyama such as Dragonball, Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, Dr Slump, Neko Majin, and other one shot mangas.

Would you still like Dragon Ball Z if Gohan was the main character instead of Goku?

Atek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Atek

Poll Would you still like Dragon Ball Z if Gohan was the main character instead of Goku? (45 votes)

Yes 42%
    No 56%

It's a simple question that was on mind for a long time, and I what to know your opinion on this subject. Me, I like the idea because I love Gohan because I was around his age and can relate to him, so it's a yes from me, but I what to hear your opinion on this no matter how good or bad it's as along you're not being a troll about it.

• 
    kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vegeta is the main character

Avatar image for life_without_progress
    life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Yes, I would have like the show much better as an adult if Gohan did became the main character. back when I was a 10 year old, I didn't really give a $#!+ about plot or character development. Looking back at the series, they built up that kid so much only to have him screwed over big time by Toriyama and some parts of the Dragon Ball fan base.

AkshSarpanch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, i would be honest. I never liked Gohan. I love the character of Goku, careless and cheerful.

But if Vegeta would have become main character, i won't mind it :)

Avatar image for monarch_chronicle
    Monarch_Chronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If we are talking Future Gohan or Teen Gohan, then yes.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NO!

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NO

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I would have like the show much better as an adult if Gohan did became the main character. back when I was a 10 year old, I didn't really give a $#!+ about plot or character development. Looking back at the series, they built up that kid so much only to have him screwed over big time by Toriyama and some parts of the Dragon Ball fan base.

Yep

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't dislike DB or stop watching it because of that, but I would not like that at all. I don't really like Gohan tbh.

CinYeldoow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope...Future Trunks (Android Saga) or Vegeta (Current) offer more IMO.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm personally not of fan when main characters are replaced.

Nathan from Misfits hit me hard.

Avatar image for amazingspiderdan
    AmazingSpiderDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't hate it, but I definitely wouldn't love it. Throughout the series Gohan is built up so much but it is all thrown to waste.

I'd rather have the series focus on Goten instead, but that's just me.

Avatar image for midnightdragon18
    midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

panther21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yea, he should have been during the Buu Saga anyway when he was fighting Super Buu.

Avatar image for mr_onomatopoeia
    Mr_Onomatopoeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm writing a fan fiction where Gohan is the main hero, so yes. Granted, it's an alternate universe's Gohan.

TheMan44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NOPE NOPE NOPE... The cell games were his time to shine and that's it. If anything make it Vegeta or even Goten.

le0nhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, DB without Goku isn't DB

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Avatar_of_Green

Yes... Goku ruins the series. They shouldv'e committed and left him dead. As it is there is 0 drama. Even if someone dies you know they'll just come back to life and the planet will be restored to normal. There's ZERO drama as it stands.

Avatar image for keiran_liafador
    Keiran_Liafador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avatar_of_green: Eh, at this point im pretty sure the main drama aspects will be :

x villain is going to destroy the universe!!!oneoneoneone

*gasp* Oh noes, without the universe, there'll be no dragon bawlls!!!111

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undefined:

No way!

Gohan to me was and still is the worst character in the DBU.

Golan as always shown why he would never be Goku sucessor. His simple lack of fighting spirit, but most of all his lack of talent makes him inferior to Goku.

Also Goku got where he got by hard training. Gohan only trained hard like two times in the entire DBZ. During the Saiyans and Cell arcs.

During the Freeza arc he got hos powers augmented by the elder leader and father of the Namek.

During the Buu arc, he got his powers increased by the elder Supreme Kai.

And during the Cyborgs/Cell arc if it wasn't for Goku, as seen in future Trunks timeline, he would be a failure. It was Goku that trained him to achieve the power that he had at the time.

During the Buu arc we saw how little talent he really had, because he was able to actually become weaker than what he was during the fight with Cell.

Goku isn't the smartest guy in the room. Goku isn't exactly fatherly material. But no one can deny is talent and his ability to surpass his current limitations.

Something that Gohan doesn't have. In fact the moment I started to read some people saying that Gohan should at some time, in DBS, also acquire the God power because he still has a lot of innate power to develop, I was like "WTF! How can he still have any dorment power waiting to be awaken!? Elder supreme kai already took his powers to their maximum."

By the same logic Goku, Vegeta, Goten and Trunks, also have a lot of power waiting to be effortlessly awaken.

So no. Gohan is nowhere near Goku.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
    linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for the_legendary_supersaiyan_hulk
    The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on what Gohan we're talking about. Current Gohan? Nope. Teen or Mystic? Absolutely, I'd even take the the alternate time-line Gohan.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
    deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess so

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Too late for that, but if time can rewind back to buu saga then yes, or just end with Cell saga.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well up until the Buu Saga that's what he was being built up to anyways so had that continued going forward yeah I would've been far happier with it than I am with the series as it is now.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Question: Why do people act as if Gohan was always being built up to be the protagonist since his first appearance? The only time something like that could be said was the latter half of the cell saga, and even then, he's barely focused on until goku calls him up.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if gohan actually replaced goku by the start of buu saga, then goku's action on the cell games would have been justified but then again chichi won't let gohan train.

z would have been infinitely better if toriyama didn't have to be build gohan that much in the cell saga then barely use him in the buu saga.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbzk1999 said:

Question: Why do people act as if Gohan was always being built up to be the protagonist since his first appearance? The only time something like that could be said was the latter half of the cell saga, and even then, he's barely focused on until goku calls him up.

Probably because of how much focus he received from his first appearance on.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I would have liked if he remained the main character during the Boo arc.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathaniel_christopher: how much focus DID he receive though? Because it was about the same as every other character (arguably even less for a majority of the android arc)

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbzk1999 said:

@nathaniel_christopher: how much focus DID he receive though? Because it was about the same as every other character (arguably even less for a majority of the android arc)

A lot, which was only enhanced by his status as Goku's son. In the Saiyan Saga he recieved probably equal to everyone else, but far more in the Namek Saga where it was then just him, Krillin, Bulma, and Vegeta (Though not on the side of the good guys). He then received an equal amount through the conflict with the Androids, maybe slightly less at first and the amount he did receive increased moving forward as Cell entered the picture. Then he was written in a completely different manner from everyone else, being the only child of the bunch, with his hidden potential being a constant focus. This is why SS2 at the Cell Games is so monumental, because it's the end result of what we've been seeing of the character in every arc from the beginning. Same with SS for Goku.

SSbardock84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Gohan annoys me. I'd still probably watch it but I wouldn't like it as much.

Pandalumina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would rather have Kakarot stay the main. Vegeta should stay as he is. Piccolo could use some more development. The human fighters can use some too.

zzagirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gohan is a boring character, fans would immediately begin their protesting if Goku wasn't the main character. I also can't believe people are still saying Toriyama ruined Gohan's character, when he actually remained faithful to it very well.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.