Follow

Dragon Ball Universe

Concept » Dragon Ball Universe appears in 185 issues.

The shared universe between some of the works of Akira Toriyama such as Dragonball, Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, Dr Slump, Neko Majin, and other one shot mangas.

Which arc was better Zamasu/Black Goku Arc or Majinn Buu Arc

• 55 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
    deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which arc was better Zamasu/Black Goku Arc or Majinn Buu Arc (47 votes)

Zamasu/ Goku Black arc 45%
    Majinn Buu Arc 55%
    "Buu no like you, Buu angry!"
    "Ningen"

Which was the better arc in your opinion.

For the both arcs consider the anime and manga versions

• 
    emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 emperorthanos-  Moderator

Majin Buu for me.

Skrskr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black arc, because legitly there was some good mystery and hype while nothing was explained and we didn't really know who was who.. the only bad thing was the spirit sword ending lol

We actually got an arc where the villain won in the end..

Aimless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buu arc was executed better.Both dragged on like hell but ultimately we got much more satisfying moments from the Buu arc.

Apart from Beerus killing Zamasau,what other moments in the Black arc compare to the Ss3 transformation,Vegeta's sacrifice,mystic Gohan and Vegetto?Plus we at least got to see Hercule get some development.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aimless said:

Buu arc was executed better.Both dragged on like hell but ultimately we got much more satisfying moments from the Buu arc.

Apart from Beerus killing Zamasau,what other moments in the Black arc compare to the Ss3 transformation,Vegeta's sacrifice,mystic Gohan and Vegetto?Plus we at least got to see Hercule get some development.

Bejito blue

Edit: but it was a lot shorter and they add the whole one hour thing. i personally could care less

Avatar image for nemesisreloaded
    NemesisReloaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always thought SS3 looked stupid, but loved Buu. I like the little mystery in the Zamasu arc and how it worked out, I like what Beerus did to present Zamasu. I didn't like the end with Zeno.

Personally I found Buu arc more entertaining, and it doesn't help that Goku was kind of an arse in both, but really stupid in Zamasus arc.

I think I have to give it to Buu.

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buu arc, and it really isn't close. The Black arc had the potential to be better but Toei just couldn't follow through.

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buu arc, and it really isn't close. The Black arc had the potential to be better but Toei just couldn't follow through.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aimless:

Trunks' transformation

Vegetto Blue

Father-Son Galick Gun

Gonna have to go with Buu on this one, just cause I had more fun with it. Future Trunks Saga is still in my top 5 arcs though

GunsNRoses23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

both were mediocre

JohnCena69swag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aimless said:

Dragged on like hell? What were you watching?

I would have said the black arc was damn near perfect if only it lasted longer and didn't have such a rushed conclusion.

Aimless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johncena69swag: Bruh I'm talking about the incident where Goku and Vegeta flee back to the past...twice,which amounted to nothing because the first time they forgot senzu beans and the second time they forgot the mafuba seal.

Yes,the ending was rushed,thanks to the prior fights being dragged on.I would have loved another episode of Vegetto over the saiyans running back to the past due to poor planning.

JohnCena69swag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aimless: I admit the second time may have been a bit much with all the trunks bs, but if they didn't go the first time we wouldn't have had that whole epic fight when black first showed ssr. Other than fleeing while trunks had his power up, I would say nothing was really dragged out, and even then that wasn't that bad.

wafflecone72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The black arc is so much better. Black is hands down my favorite villian.

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The black arc is so much better. Black is hands down my favorite villian.

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black arc has better antagonist, mystery, soundtrack and is darker especially at the end.

Buu arc has better fights (im not even talking about animation and art, fights in Black arc are just to short), better Vegetto, better Genki Dama and overall more epic moments. Sure Gokus rage or Black SSR transformation were cool but Gokus SS3, Vegeta Sacrifice etc. were better imo.

I take Buu Saga

LeonardoTMNT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buu Arc for me.

The Black arc started off so great, though it fell off the road a little bit on the back end.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a2b0053414c5
    deactivated-5a2b0053414c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buu Arc.

Zamasu arc had a lot of potential, and it started well. But it ended up being a poor portrayal of the "malevolent righteous god" and dragged on too long. That in addition of all the stupid PIS just ruined it for me.

Kute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if dbz had ended with vegeta successfully suiciding/killing buu, it might have been quite the ending. but i thought the rest of the buu arc started getting silly. i prefer the black arc

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BlueHope

Buu, Black arc has one of the worst endings I ever saw in an anime arc, also the evil clone is the most generic idea possible for a villain,he even had the most generic name for a evil clone possible.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluehope: I mean, it's technically not an evil clone since Zamasu just switched bodies with him....but they did kinda steal Baby's gimmick from GT, so... never mind, you're right, it wasn't original either way :T

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buu.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The general consensus from what i'm getting is buu arc stomps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaycool2: Anyone with common sense could have foreseen that lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beast_mode999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Black Arc had a Lot of potential to be one of DB's best arcs but.. well think of the Falcons and the Patriots game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5aeee927346fb
    deactivated-5aeee927346fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Black arc started off great but then dragged on and became a total mess. Very meh...

Avatar image for the_man_with_questions
    The_Man_With_Questions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black arc was shit. Started off well, but quickly became garbage. The arc dragged on for to long (the stuff where they traveled back to the past multiple times didn't amount to anything), retcons (RIP Vegito), the power-scaling was horrible (Herp Derp, Trunks is angry so he suddenly gets absurdly powerful just to stay relevant to the story), and the stupid moments outclassed the good moments. Father Son Galick Gun was cool, but it was then followed by Goku using a kamehameha to replicate what Trunks and Vegeta did by himself (and to even greater effect). You also have things like an entire episode dedicated to Goku learning the Mafuba, only for him to never use it and Trunks learning it almost instantly by just watching a video. Plus the ending was just straight up stupid. Everyone Trunks's timeline dies, but it's barely touched on. Yeah we get the thing with Mai and Trunks crying, but that's it. Goku and Vegeta seemed they could care less. Plus what was the point of Trunks going to another timeline? All the people he knew were dead. All your friends in that other time line aren't the same people as the ones you knew. On top of all that, throughout the whole arc there's talk about how the Z-Fighters (specifically from Beerus and Whis) rely to much on Gods... Only for Whis to pull something out of his ass at the end (something he could've done this whole time), and prevent the Whis thing from ever happening.

Buu arc was way to long, but it's gets some points. Buu started off as a unique and interesting villain, but quickly lost his charm. He didn't come off as intimidating and was unpredictable, and this made him a fantastic villain. However, he quickly became super bland. Buutenks and Buuhan are basically just shitty rip-offs of Perfect Cell. Not only that, but by the time you get to Kid Buu the arc had dragged on for way to long and Buu had over stayed his welcome. There's also some really dumb stuff in this arc as well. Goten was an ass-pull who's soul purpose seemed to just be for Gotenks to exist. Ultimate Gohan is cool, but the way they did it was also kind of lame and also an ass-pull (yay! an old guys appears and he has a dance that can suddenly make me stronger than anyone else in the series). Plus, if what the series implies is true, Goku not killing Buu while in SSJ3 is freaking stupid and makes him look like a douche bag. If the Dragon Balls didn't exist, he'd be fudged. If he had killed Buu then the Earth would've never been blown up, his Wife wouldn't have gotten turned into an egg and crushed, and his sons wouldn't have gotten absorbed.

However, this arc had way more good moments. Vegito, good character development that made me slightly like two of my least favorite characters in DB (Vegeta and Hercule), Videl is a cool character, SSJ3 was "Meh" but the music for that scene was on point, and Vegeta's sacrifice.

Buu Arc>>>Black Arc.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aimless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like dbz's worst arc is still better than super's best arc lmao

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aimless: but the cell arc isn't listed XD

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By alextheboss

@aimless said:

The Buu arc gets unnecessary hate imo. It brought in a lot of iconic characters and had great moments. Majin Vegeta vs Goku, Mr. Satan and Buu relation ship, ssj 3, fusion, Gohan and Videl's relation ship, Videl vs Spopavich, the final battle with Kid Buu was great, ect.

Aimless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alextheboss: Yeah true.Buu arc was by no means a bad arc.It did tremendous justice to Vegeta whom honestly I prefer over Gohan.I'd even say Cell and Buu arcs can be debated on as to which is better,though I'd just lean towards the former cause the ending was one of the most satisfying moment in the series.

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aimless: Ya I agree. The Cell and Buu arcs are close. Imo the Buu arc starts off stronger than the Cell arc, but the Cell arc finishes stronger.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By tensor
    Deszo44GoW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alextheboss: I totally agree. Inn the Cell saga it was all dicking around at first then serious fighting.

In the buu saga it was all serious fighting, then dicking around, then the spirit bomb actually kills a character/ well reincarnates a character.

Other than that the buu saga was way better, just too much fusion

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Did not like the fact that they had Goku be the main character for the Buu saga, and did so many things that did hurt the series. While the ending was much more satisfying, the ending for the Black arc did gave it more possibility for Trunks, while the Buu arc basically kick Gohan out of the MC chair. They both have stupid, awesome and awesome stupid moments, so I say ehhh Black arc since it did not ruin Gohan.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jgames

@alextheboss said:
    @aimless said:

The Buu arc gets unnecessary hate imo. It brought in a lot of iconic characters and had great moments. Majin Vegeta vs Goku, Mr. Satan and Buu relation ship, ssj 3, fusion, Gohan and Videl's relation ship, Videl vs Spopavich, the final battle with Kid Buu was great, ect.

Bc it brought Goku back and had the same formula has the other DB arc, instead of doing something new and having faith on Gohan being the main character in an arc where Goku want them to be the one to beat buu only to be one to basically defeat them. For Goku fan I can see why they might not be as bother, but I always saw DBZ as Gohan story, which is why I always thought Cell saga was better then Frieza saga as it was one of the best long paid off building up Gohan character, only to destroy it in the next arc. It had cool moments, but also have lot of horrible moments.

It deserved the hate because it left the series with weaker legs in my opinion.

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames: Usually when I hear people hate on it, it's because of the goof characters and lighter tone. Ya bringing back Goku was a cop out too, but it only left the series weaker if it ended there. Now with Super Goku is needed and it kind of makes bringing Goku back not bad in the grand scheme of things.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jgames

@alextheboss said:

@jgames: Usually when I hear people hate on it, it's because of the goof characters and lighter tone. Ya bringing back Goku was a cop out too, but it only left the series weaker if it ended there. Now with Super Goku is needed and it kind of makes bringing Goku back not bad in the grand scheme of things.

Goku is annoying in the series right now in Super, and Vegeta and Trunks are easily better character with many fan wanting Gohan back, so not seeing how bringing Goku back can be considered a good thing when is getting harder for other characters to shine. Not to mention them trying to developed Goku character at this stage just seem strange.

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By alextheboss

@jgames:

Goku is annoying in the series right now in Super

That's more or less Toei's fault though

and Vegeta and Trunks are easily better character with many fan wanting Gohan back

Ya but it's hard to imagine dragon ball without Goku.

so not seeing how bringing Goku back can be considered a good thing when is getting harder for other characters to shine.

With good writing he can be brought back and other characters can shine. I think Vegeta should of had a much longer fight with Golden Frieza though, and I think Piccolo and Gohan should of actually fought with Frieza in his first form, maybe even making him transform (Piccolo jobbing to Tagoma is one of the most BS moments in dragon ball). The Champa arc was fine, it gave Vegeta a lot of fights, but I think Piccolo's fight could of been better. The Black arc gave Vegeta and Trunks plenty of moments, and so far the new arc is giving Buu and Gohan their moment. Hopefully the new arc will continue and give all the fighters their time to shine.

Not to mention them trying to developed Goku character at this stage just seem strange.

True, but tbh they are failing to really develop him correctly.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alextheboss: I can't imagine DBZ without Gohan, especially how they build him up, and I always thought Goku was passing the torch to Gohan as Goku character was already developed, but they went with the safe and more markable choice. Seeing other anime or hell media in general, death can be hard to see for your favorite character but, can be a great character development and pass the torch to the next character like what they did in Gurren Laggan, Star Wars, Lion King etc. While I guess with the Dragon Ball it was never going to be a thing, but seeing Goku refusing to be revived and seeing Gohan grown up in the next arc I thought they would have stuck their gun, but sadly they didn't. While the Buu arc itself was overall fun, especially with the animation being improved and ton of cool moment like Vegito and SSJ3,I can't help but see the wasted potential.

At least I have this scene

Loading Video...

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As for Black arc, they needed more episode, like 3 minimum, and less Goku is stupid joke. Still a overall fun arc, just needed to be more polish.

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames:

can't imagine DBZ without Gohan

Well dragon ball was originally just one manga called dragon ball and Gohan doesn't show up until like chapter 197, lol.

especially how they build him up, and I always thought Goku was passing the torch to Gohan as Goku character was already developed, but they went with the safe and more markable choice.

It wouldn't of been so bad if Gohan was there to help with the final fight with Kid Buu instead of just a guy on the sidelines.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jgames

@jgames:

can't imagine DBZ without Gohan

Well dragon ball was originally just one manga called dragon ball and Gohan doesn't show up until like chapter 197, lol.

especially how they build him up, and I always thought Goku was passing the torch to Gohan as Goku character was already developed, but they went with the safe and more markable choice.

It wouldn't of been so bad if Gohan was there to help with the final fight with Kid Buu instead of just a guy on the sidelines.

Except after the other time skip when Goku had a son, his character really went nowhere, while Gohan character was developing. Goku story is finished when he beat Piccolo at the 23th tournament and marry chi-chi. I mean him learning about his race and that he kill his Dad, or that Frieza kill his race really did nothing to the character except world building. Let someone else take the mantle and grow with that character and trust that the story can still be good, instead of falling to the same formula. The main reason why people hate Goku now is that he have not developed over the series, and them trying now seem stupid. Gohan is a much more relatable character that had room for improvement without looking forced, but whatever more power to people who are Goku fans. I just prefer the Black arc since it at was about as stupid and fun as the Buu saga, except with a better villain and giving spotlight to other character like Trunks.

Thedarkpaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DB hasn't had a good arc since Namek.

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames:

Except after the other time skip when Goku had a son, his character really went nowhere

Yes he was pretty much developed, but he was a good character and he got some of his best character moments after that.

Goku story is finished when he beat Piccolo at the 23th tournament and marry chi-chi.I mean him learning about his race and that he kill his Dad, or that Frieza kill his race really did nothing to the character except world building.

I mean becoming the legendary ssj to beat the tyrant who killed his race and best friend is a pretty good story. It fit better with Goku than it would of with Gohan.

Let someone else take the mantle and grow with that character and trust that the story can still be good, instead of falling to the same formula.

Then it really wouldn't be dragon ball anymore. I would love to see more side stories like dragon ball minus or Jaco the Galactic Patrolman. That way we can give new characters the spotlight but still keep Goku as the main character for the main series.

The main reason why people hate Goku now is that he have not developed over the series, and them trying now seem stupid.

I think the main reason is that he is regressing. If he was staying the same people wouldn't have that much of a problem.

Gohan is a much more relatable character that had room for improvement without looking forced, but whatever more power to people who are Goku fans.

I like Gohan, but I feel like he is better used as a guy who is really strong only when he really needs to be, while Goku is better as the guy who is always strong.

I just prefer the Black arc since it at was about as stupid and fun as the Buu saga,

I would say it is as stupid, but not as fun. Half the arc was pretty much just Goku and Vegeta vs Zamasu and Black with some Trunks, 5 minutes of Vegito, and going back and time a few times. The Buu arc had good slice of life in the beginning, Gohan's love interest, the budokai, Spopovich vs Videl, which was an intense fight but with weaker characters which was interesting, Vegeta vs Goku rematch, Vegeta character development with epic sacrifice, ssj3, fussion, Buu and mr. Satan relation ship, Buu's character development, mystic Gohan, and the final fight was good, plus a twist with mr. Satan saving the day.

The Buu arc just had so much more content and memorable moments. And the Black arc ended pretty poorly and had a unsatisfying end of Trunk's timeleine being permenatnly erased. It would of been so much better if they just used the super dragon balls to bring his timeline back.

except with a better villain

I'll give you this

and giving spotlight to other character like Trunks.

I would argue that the Buu arc gave the spotlight to way more characters than the Black arc. Started off with Gohan as the main character. He also fights Dabura and a bit with Buu. Gave Goten and Trunks a good fight in the tournament and then them vs 18. Then later Goten and Trunks are a big deal for a while because of fusion. Gohan gets the spot light again when he goes mystic. Mr. Satan actually gets a lot of screen time. Ya Goku is the one who finally saves the day, but when it comes down to the Black arc nobody really saved the day. Zeno beat Zamasu and killed everyone else in the universe.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jgames

@alextheboss: Yeah well I think the fact that you think Dragon Bal need Goku, is the reason why I will always disagree. So let just agree to disagree.

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By alextheboss

@jgames: I'm not saying it needs it, it just wouldn't be the dragon ball that we know of now. I mean it really doesn't matter here since Goku is in both arcs, lol. And the Buu arc gives way more to Gohan than the Black arc did. That Black arc gave him nothing.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames: I'm not saying it needs it, it just wouldn't be the dragon ball that we know of now. I mean it really doesn't matter here since Goku is in both arcs, lol. And the Buu arc gives way more to Gohan than the Black arc did. That Black arc gave him nothing.

The Black arc gave nothing for Gohan bc the Buu arc shit on him and basically solidified Goku as the mc for the stupidest of reason and unlike GT, is here to stay and the damage is hard to removed. All they did is wave what the fan wanted and slap them in the head. While Trunks might not have technically beat Zamasu, and it was a stupid power up, it was still cool and gave more development to that character instead of just destroying several arc building Gohan as the mc. The Black arc gave alot of thing trunks fan wanted aside from a satisfying ending, but there actually lot of thing that can be explored with Trunks story if Toei ever gets smart and realized they can make more money making a spin-off story with him. The Buu saga basically say GOKU IS THE MAIN CHARACTER, he need to save the day, don't have the other character be relevant except maybe Vegeta. Only thing I will said is the buu saga have a much more satisfying ending, but is probably the reason why most show after this arc are not that great for the most part.

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By alextheboss

@jgames:

The Black arc gave nothing for Gohan bc the Buu arc shit on him and basically solidified Goku as the mc for the stupidest of reason and unlike GT, is here to stay and the damage is hard to removed.

Not true. The Buu saga ended with Gohan being the strongest non fused character. He was only nerfed during Super.

All they did is wave what the fan wanted and slap them in the head. While Trunks might not have technically beat Zamasu, and it was a stupid power up, it was still cool and gave more development to that character instead of just destroying several arc building Gohan as the mc.

Gohan's arc was that he realized he preferred a family life over fighting. Note everyone has to become a fighter.

The Buu saga basically say GOKU IS THE MAIN CHARACTER, he need to save the day, don't have the other character be relevant except maybe Vegeta.

I mean when you really look at the arc Goku wasn't the main focus for most of it The beginning started with Gohan. Then it was Gohan, Vegeta, and Goku in babadi's ship where each got a fight, but Gohan's was the longest. Then Goku vs Vegeta, where Goku was taken out and Vegeta got his time. Then Goku came back, but only to stall Buu and teach fusion. Then it was Gotenk's turn, then Gohan's turn, then Vegito's turn, and then it was Goku, Vegeta, Fat Buu, and Mr. Satan vs Kid Buu, and Goku could only finally win with a spirit bomb that had everyone's energy in it from the entire series.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.