So..why did people hat GT?

Avatar image for primmaster64
#1 Posted by Primmaster64 (21668 posts) - - Show Bio

Why did you?

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
#2 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23390 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't. I love GT. Super 17 and SSj4 ftw.

Avatar image for primmaster64
#3 Posted by Primmaster64 (21668 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: Some people, well a lot of people did
Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
#4 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23390 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64: I know, I could never understand why. The Goku being a kid thing was a pain, but that was only for the first season anyway. The villains were awesome.
Avatar image for primmaster64
#5 Posted by Primmaster64 (21668 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: Yeah the whole kid Goku thing inda sucked
Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
#6 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23390 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64: That it did. A terrible, terrible idea. Fortunately the insanely epic season 2 made up for it.
Avatar image for sexy_merc
#7 Posted by Sexy Merc (42472 posts) - - Show Bio

Plot holes are by far the biggest reason. If you watch it in Japanese, plot holes are fixed, just not all. Other than that, most of the characters felt like a bunch of pussies. At least in the Saiyan saga, Yamcha and them didn't look like total chumps. Oh yeah, and Piccolo was barely there, Goku was a kid which a lot of people didn't like, and it was too focused on Goku and Pan. The audience is probably more used to Toriyama-sensei's style of the Dragon Ball franchise, and he didn't create GT, he just monitored it, made designs for a bit of stuff like SSJ4 Goku and he enjoyed GT himself.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
#8 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23390 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sexy Merc: That's a fair summary of the cons. Pan was in it too much, and Gohan getting sidelined sucked.
Avatar image for innervenom123
#9 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29887 posts) - - Show Bio

Cell + Buu = Baby 
 
You know it's true.

Avatar image for biggkeem89
#10 Posted by biggkeem89 (1478 posts) - - Show Bio

I hated in this order: 
1. Turning Goku back to a kid 
2. The drastic alteration of power levels. Super Saiyan 4 Goku was being hurt by glass. There's no way the characters should have gone from easily being able to destroy a planet, to being able to be hurt by glass. 
3. The Dark Dragons-Just hated the idea of the Black Star Dragon Balls and those Dragons. Plus, each one of those evil dragons should only have been as powerful as Shenron, and Shenron was easily killed my King Piccolo in DragonBall. Side Note: When Kami and Piccolo merged in DBZ, the DragonBalls Kami created were rendered inert(that's why they had to get Dende). If that's the case, since Kami created the Black Star Dragon Balls then they should have been inert as well. 
4. The Half and Quarter Saiyans not being as powerful-They stated throughout DBZ that half-Saiyans have greater potential that full blooded Saiyans. I know that Super Saiyan 4 can only be achieved by full saiyans, but shouldn't that half saiyans(with their tails restored) be able to go even further. Side note #2: Why didn't Pan ever go Super Saiyan? Or Bra for that matter? They both faced life threatening situation that could have turned them. Kinda Sexist  
5. Piccolo being trapped in Hell-The coolest character in the DB universe get the crappiest fate. 
6. Androids-You know after all that Cell stuff, I didn't need anymore androids. Super Hell Fighter 17(besides from having the lamest of any DB villian) was just kinda lame. 
7. Uub getting the short stick-This kid was hyped as being the new protector of Earth by Goku, but when it got down to it, he kept getting horrible outclassed. Terrible misuse of character. 
I could go on forever

Avatar image for webhe4d
#11 Edited by webhe4d (158 posts) - - Show Bio

Not enough Goten and Trunks shenanigans

Avatar image for roostercogburn
#12 Posted by RoosterCogburn (212 posts) - - Show Bio

Just took it too far.
Besides I don't really like anything to do with the Dragonball series after Cell Games.
I really hate how they pushed all the original characters to the side and threw in a shitload of Saiyans.

Avatar image for danhimself
#13 Posted by danhimself (21434 posts) - - Show Bio
@biggkeem89 said:
" I hated in this order: 1. Turning Goku back to a kid 2. The drastic alteration of power levels. Super Saiyan 4 Goku was being hurt by glass. There's no way the characters should have gone from easily being able to destroy a planet, to being able to be hurt by glass. 3. The Dark Dragons-Just hated the idea of the Black Star Dragon Balls and those Dragons. Plus, each one of those evil dragons should only have been as powerful as Shenron, and Shenron was easily killed my King Piccolo in DragonBall. Side Note: When Kami and Piccolo merged in DBZ, the DragonBalls Kami created were rendered inert(that's why they had to get Dende). If that's the case, since Kami created the Black Star Dragon Balls then they should have been inert as well. 4. The Half and Quarter Saiyans not being as powerful-They stated throughout DBZ that half-Saiyans have greater potential that full blooded Saiyans. I know that Super Saiyan 4 can only be achieved by full saiyans, but shouldn't that half saiyans(with their tails restored) be able to go even further. Side note #2: Why didn't Pan ever go Super Saiyan? Or Bra for that matter? They both faced life threatening situation that could have turned them. Kinda Sexist  5. Piccolo being trapped in Hell-The coolest character in the DB universe get the crappiest fate. 6. Androids-You know after all that Cell stuff, I didn't need anymore androids. Super Hell Fighter 17(besides from having the lamest of any DB villian) was just kinda lame. 7. Uub getting the short stick-This kid was hyped as being the new protector of Earth by Goku, but when it got down to it, he kept getting horrible outclassed. Terrible misuse of character. I could go on forever "
a lot of that stuff wouldn't have happened if Toriyama...had his way with the show....I read an interview once where he said that it was his intent to have Gohan become the main focus of the show after the Cell saga and you could see that it was going that way for a while but the executives didn't want to change focus from Goku so he was brought back in the Buu saga....basically you can tell that Toriyama wasn't writing the series after DBZ because everything he did in DBZ was reversed or ignored
Avatar image for primmaster64
#14 Posted by Primmaster64 (21668 posts) - - Show Bio

you guys are right

Avatar image for untammed
#15 Posted by untammed (466 posts) - - Show Bio

 i liked gt not as much as dragonball or dragonball z  but it was good

Avatar image for man_of_lengend
#16 Posted by Man of Lengend (1019 posts) - - Show Bio

i enjoyed SSj4 Vegeta ... bout all i remember really

Avatar image for difficlus
#17 Posted by difficlus (10659 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh it was ok IMO, just a little too much with kid Goku, i enjoyed the SS4 stuff though...

Avatar image for theworldbreaker
#18 Posted by Theworldbreaker (1681 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont realy care for it, it was ok Omega shenron was a pretty cool guy. the SS4 transformation was also pretty cool i guess and SS4 Gogeta with his FTL punchs and i-can-hurt-you-by-starring attack.
Avatar image for shafeman
#19 Posted by SHAFEMAN (57 posts) - - Show Bio

Not Related To Toryama. Thats enough reason for me
Avatar image for lilja
#20 Posted by Lilja (5 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
a lot of that stuff wouldn't have happened if Toriyama...had his way with the show....I read an interview once where he said that it was his intent to have Gohan become the main focus of the show after the Cell saga and you could see that it was going that way for a while but the executives didn't want to change focus from Goku so he was brought back in the Buu saga....basically you can tell that Toriyama wasn't writing the series after DBZ because everything he did in DBZ was reversed or ignored
This. I recently finished Dragon Ball Kai an the ending was great. It ended with the Cell saga, Goku dead and Gohan becoming the ultimate protector of earth. End of story.
Avatar image for primmaster64
#21 Posted by Primmaster64 (21668 posts) - - Show Bio

No Buu?

Avatar image for the_mayhem_theory
#22 Posted by The_Mayhem_Theory (1085 posts) - - Show Bio
I enjoyed the series. I was hyped when I saw Goku reach Super Saiyan 4.
Avatar image for rabbitearsblog
#23 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6532 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't really like the idea about Goku being a kid throughout the series. I liked seeing young Goku in Dragonball, but I didn't want him to revert back to a kid since he had so much character development as an adult. I also didn't like the fact that Gohan was shoved to the side since he was such a great character in DBZ.

Avatar image for rscotth08
#24 Posted by RScottH08 (282 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

@biggkeem89 said:
" I hated in this order: 1. Turning Goku back to a kid 2. The drastic alteration of power levels. Super Saiyan 4 Goku was being hurt by glass. There's no way the characters should have gone from easily being able to destroy a planet, to being able to be hurt by glass. 3. The Dark Dragons-Just hated the idea of the Black Star Dragon Balls and those Dragons. Plus, each one of those evil dragons should only have been as powerful as Shenron, and Shenron was easily killed my King Piccolo in DragonBall. Side Note: When Kami and Piccolo merged in DBZ, the DragonBalls Kami created were rendered inert(that's why they had to get Dende). If that's the case, since Kami created the Black Star Dragon Balls then they should have been inert as well. 4. The Half and Quarter Saiyans not being as powerful-They stated throughout DBZ that half-Saiyans have greater potential that full blooded Saiyans. I know that Super Saiyan 4 can only be achieved by full saiyans, but shouldn't that half saiyans(with their tails restored) be able to go even further. Side note #2: Why didn't Pan ever go Super Saiyan? Or Bra for that matter? They both faced life threatening situation that could have turned them. Kinda Sexist 5. Piccolo being trapped in Hell-The coolest character in the DB universe get the crappiest fate. 6. Androids-You know after all that Cell stuff, I didn't need anymore androids. Super Hell Fighter 17(besides from having the lamest of any DB villian) was just kinda lame. 7. Uub getting the short stick-This kid was hyped as being the new protector of Earth by Goku, but when it got down to it, he kept getting horrible outclassed. Terrible misuse of character. I could go on forever "
a lot of that stuff wouldn't have happened if Toriyama...had his way with the show....I read an interview once where he said that it was his intent to have Gohan become the main focus of the show after the Cell saga and you could see that it was going that way for a while but the executives didn't want to change focus from Goku so he was brought back in the Buu saga....basically you can tell that Toriyama wasn't writing the series after DBZ because everything he did in DBZ was reversed or ignored

I grew up watchin and readin just about anything and everything DB related I could get my hands on, and I must say I completly agree with both these comments. I know this has been said, but the lack of the coolest characters is what killed it for me, especially Piccolo, him being my favorite all the way through DBZ, then just seein him cast off aside in GT really sucked. I will admit though when he died in GT i thought it was kinda cool, the ultimate sacrifice and all, and being little and watchin that really hit a soft spot. Overall though it just couldnt capture the magic of DB and definetly not DBZ.

Avatar image for hazlenaut
#25 Posted by Hazlenaut (2096 posts) - - Show Bio

It was flawed in the very beginning. Why would cross the universe when the basic dragonballs would do the same thing. Why it a planet must be destroyed when the other dragonballs do not require that high price or the effort? Why have earth when you can be a ruler for another that less formidable? We can grill dragonball gt to show how many flaws this series has. This is one the reasons there are boundary line in mangas and comics. Dragonball Z Kai wants recon that failure and I will allow it.

There was no need for Super Sayien 4 and it ruin the series. The feat of Super Sayian was considered a legend it relys on depth of anger to bring out. When trucks and Gohan become super sayian it rendered it as child’s toy but it at least they put effort into it. Super Sayian 2 required year of fully strict training. Super Sayian 3 required to be dead in order be dead to gain that power. SS4 makes lazy in comparison when you can use a device to become it. Sayians were finally out class when dealing with Majin Buu. There was finally a limit to that species. They shown tools from gods in order to gain more strength they can did alone. The former Supreme Kai gave power up to Gohan stating sayian power up nothing compared to inner power he has. Yes, the form is not popular but that is the thing. The gimmicks are done there is no need for add-ons this is the limit he can be. There shame about it people that your character is not invincible. Flaws makes you care for the character. It means they make do what they have. Do we need to add another number in order to win the day? Do we want to hear that the hero relies on specie’s superiority forever as a clutch? If the series continue do you want to hear Super Sayien 139 in order to gain victory?

Avatar image for superguy0009e
#26 Posted by Superguy0009e (2404 posts) - - Show Bio

Nuff Said

Loading Video...
Avatar image for cold_world
#27 Posted by Cold_World (45 posts) - - Show Bio

Nuff Said

Loading Video...
Avatar image for innervenom123
#28 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29887 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cold_World said:

Nuff Said

Loading Video...

WTF? Inconsistency....

Avatar image for _slim_
#29 Edited by _slim_ (16521 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed GT.  
It wasn't the best, but it was entertaining.

Avatar image for cold_world
#30 Posted by Cold_World (45 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123: GT was without a doubt the most inconsistent trash i have ever watched. In one episode you have Goku at super saiyan 1 punch someone to the other side of the planet. And in the next he struggles to punch someone through a building. In one episode you have the shock wave from Goku's punches destroy a city. And in the next at super saiyan 4 he struggles to hold a falling building. Baby in vegetas body, transformed into a super saiyan great ape failing miserably to destroy a planet with his most powerful attack. It was painful to watch.

Avatar image for majestic99
#31 Posted by majestic99 (8915 posts) - - Show Bio

LOVED IT. Anyone who thinks different is missing out on an AWESOME series.

Avatar image for kidchipotle
#32 Posted by kidchipotle (15627 posts) - - Show Bio

GT was horrible. I do admit there were some cool things about GT, such as SSJ4 and I'll even give you Super 17. But the constant plot holes were just unbearable as well as the lack of focus on anyone OTHER THAN Goku and Pan. Goku as a kid - annoying. Piccolo being sentenced to hell for ever - annoying. Trunks, Gohan, and Goten being vagina's - annoying. Baby - annoying. The entire dark shrenron saga + the black star balls not being inert - annoying. Uub being a bitch - annoying. The list can go on. The worst part may have been when Goku left with Shrenon. That was the worst flipping thing that could have ever been conceived. It's just horrible in it's entirety.

Avatar image for kidchipotle
#33 Posted by kidchipotle (15627 posts) - - Show Bio

@RScottH08 said:

@danhimself said:

@biggkeem89 said:
" I hated in this order: 1. Turning Goku back to a kid 2. The drastic alteration of power levels. Super Saiyan 4 Goku was being hurt by glass. There's no way the characters should have gone from easily being able to destroy a planet, to being able to be hurt by glass. 3. The Dark Dragons-Just hated the idea of the Black Star Dragon Balls and those Dragons. Plus, each one of those evil dragons should only have been as powerful as Shenron, and Shenron was easily killed my King Piccolo in DragonBall. Side Note: When Kami and Piccolo merged in DBZ, the DragonBalls Kami created were rendered inert(that's why they had to get Dende). If that's the case, since Kami created the Black Star Dragon Balls then they should have been inert as well. 4. The Half and Quarter Saiyans not being as powerful-They stated throughout DBZ that half-Saiyans have greater potential that full blooded Saiyans. I know that Super Saiyan 4 can only be achieved by full saiyans, but shouldn't that half saiyans(with their tails restored) be able to go even further. Side note #2: Why didn't Pan ever go Super Saiyan? Or Bra for that matter? They both faced life threatening situation that could have turned them. Kinda Sexist 5. Piccolo being trapped in Hell-The coolest character in the DB universe get the crappiest fate. 6. Androids-You know after all that Cell stuff, I didn't need anymore androids. Super Hell Fighter 17(besides from having the lamest of any DB villian) was just kinda lame. 7. Uub getting the short stick-This kid was hyped as being the new protector of Earth by Goku, but when it got down to it, he kept getting horrible outclassed. Terrible misuse of character. I could go on forever "

AT has stated the only reason he never had a female turn into a super saiyan was because he couldn't figure out how to draw the female's hair without it looking ridiculous. It wasn't sexist, he just couldn't figure it out.

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
#34 Edited by TheGreyOutcastX (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

GT was horrible. I do admit there were some cool things about GT, such as SSJ4 and I'll even give you Super 17. But the constant plot holes were just unbearable as well as the lack of focus on anyone OTHER THAN Goku and Pan. Goku as a kid - annoying. Piccolo being sentenced to hell for ever - annoying. Trunks, Gohan, and Goten being vagina's - annoying. Baby - annoying. The entire dark shrenron saga + the black star balls not being inert - annoying. Uub being a bitch - annoying. The list can go on. The worst part may have been when Goku left with Shrenon. That was the worst flipping thing that could have ever been conceived. It's just horrible in it's entirety.

Pretty much this. And considering that Akira Toriyama more or less retconned this when Dragonball Online came out, it makes GT inert.

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Online

Avatar image for nerx
#35 Posted by Nerx (15351 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64: goku getting cut by broken glass, b!tch please and no planet busting shown

Avatar image for aiden_cross
#36 Posted by Aiden Cross (15726 posts) - - Show Bio

They turned Gohan into a softy.. he was supposed to be the most powerful!

Avatar image for onemoreposter
#37 Posted by Onemoreposter (4351 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't read all the previous posts so if i reiterate I apologize. Dragon Ball was perfect how it was. Buu was the ultimate enemy. As a fan, sure I wanted more, but GT wasn't what I wanted. GT just seemed like a pointless rehash (poorly written at that) to make a few extra bucks. I didn't like it because it really didn't add anything to the mythos, but more importantly it was just plain boring.

Avatar image for vance_astro
#38 Posted by vance_astro (89987 posts) - - Show Bio

It wasn't good...

Moderator
Avatar image for primmaster64
#39 Posted by Primmaster64 (21668 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nerx: The hell?
 
Yes after watching it again....It is horrible.
Avatar image for nerx
#40 Posted by Nerx (15351 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64: it never happened as far as I am concerned

Avatar image for primmaster64
#41 Posted by Primmaster64 (21668 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nerx: It should have never existed in the first place.
Avatar image for theamazingbatman
#42 Edited by theamazingbatman (2728 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate GT because of it's inconsistency . Oh come on ssj 4 goku getting cut by glass,really?? If a simple human being was 4000x his base form , the glass wouldn't scratch him let alone goku who was as strong as ssj 3 in his base form and was transformed into a ssj4! I also liked few episodes of GT. The last episode almost made me cry. I hated the scene where goku goes off with shenron and does not even say a proper good bye to his family and friends. Krillin and Goku had been life long friends for like 50 years and he did not even say goodbye . and can anyone tell me why did goku leave with shenron and will there be a new series of dragonball?? and is there any way that i can post more than 4 times in a day??

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.