Follow

Doctor Doom

Character » Doctor Doom appears in 3794 issues.

The very mention of his name makes lesser men tremble! The brilliant scientist whose iron mask conceals his scarred (but once handsome) face! Master of science and sorcery, Victor Von Doom is the monarch of Latveria, attempting the betterment of humanity through world conquest! Unequaled and unrivaled in every manner, Doctor Doom has had many conflicts with both earthly and cosmic super-beings, but he will always be known as the eternal nemesis of Reed Richards and his accursed Fantastic Four!

Why Dr. Doom is Awesome

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

Edited By batmannflash

For my blog series, "Why ___ is Awesome," I'm writing about one of Marvel's greatest villains: Dr. Doom, Victor von Doom.

1. Background

As a child in Latveria, his mother was killed when she called upon Mephisto. Not long after, Doom's father left the family and dead, leaving Victor by himself. Although it may not seem like it on the surface, but after some digging, you learn that Dr. Doom is a complex and tragic character. Left without his parents, he sought out to bring his mother back from Mephisto. In doing so, with his arrogance as his downfall, he scarred his face, got expelled from college, and created a long-time rivalry against Reed Richards. He is an example of tragedy and competition slowly destroying the character of someone.

No Caption Provided

2. Perfection

No Caption Provided

I have to admit, Dr. Doom has a lot of reasons to boast. Starting as an orphan in the small country of Latveria, he used his brilliant mind to become one of the world's greatest humans. He learned sorcery and had the intelligence to achieve greatness. Like Batman, he possesses the willpower to strive towards perfection and would probably have been one of the greatest heroes if he was good. Doom's amazing brain and dedication attributed to his success. Despite not having superpowers or anything like that, he built himself up from the bottom all the way to the top!

3. Reed Richards

His rivalry with Reed Richards, Mr. Fantastic, is legendary. The two most intelligent humans on Earth, competing against each other. In a way they are so similar, yet so different. The two always make more dramatic and interesting confrontation and it's always awesome seeing them clash. Doom really hates Reed but there's almost a little bit of fear, mutual respect, and jealousy for each other. He has a rivalry with the Fantastic Four as a whole, but mainly Richards, and it's a relationship that should be explored even more.

4. Latveria

Dr. Doom is the ruler of his home country, Latveria. An example of his greatness is him putting himself as the ruler of Latveria, through a dictatorship. Through fear and intimidation with his Doombots, he has made the country into a safe place, surprisingly. And the small country has become a greatly feared and powerful country in the world. He has willed himself into a powerful commander and leader. I'm not saying that I'm supporting his dictatorship, but I'm saying that unlike most villains who want to take over someplace, Dr. Doom has actually done it and has been leading Latveria for quite some time.

No Caption Provided

5. Doom

Because he's Doctor Doom. And he's a badass with confidence and crazy arrogance. He has fought against powerful foes and has come out on top. Everyone is scared of him and rightfully so.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Like what you see? Comment below on Doom! Read more: Why ___ is Awesome

deathstroke19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Gotta love the big D.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By AllStarSuperman

I don't think I have even read anything with doom...

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

And remember he gave us another great villain, Darth Vader!!

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think I have even read anything with doom...

Read "Books of Doom," for sure

@lyrafay said:

And remember he gave us another great villain, Darth Vader!!

Yes yes, true!

daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Forgot where it was but it was in the Forever storyline right before he fought the Celestials for Valeria Richards where he promised her to come back and began shit talking the Celestials. That right their cemented his awesomeness.

To my understanding he doesnt really hate Reed that much he's only just a rival too him. Why else would he be the god father to his kid? In fact in New Avengers Dr.Strange and Reed Richards had dinner at Doom's castle and it didnt seem awkward so it seems that this is quite the common thing.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daak1212 said:

Forgot where it was but it was in the Forever storyline right before he fought the Celestials for Valeria Richards where he promised her to come back and began shit talking the Celestials. That right their cemented his awesomeness.

To my understanding he doesnt really hate Reed that much he's only just a rival too him. Why else would he be the god father to his kid? In fact in New Avengers Dr.Strange and Reed Richards had dinner at Doom's castle and it didnt seem awkward so it seems that this is quite the common thing.

I haven't read that before.

True, true. I do still think there's hatred in there. But like I mentioned, there's a little bit of mutual respect in the relationship. But they have an intense rivalry because Reed is always there to stop Doom

daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmannflash: It was a 22 issue Hickman run that started on Fantastic Four and FF. One of the greatest reads ever imo. If I can find the scan of what he actually said I will post it.

daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daak1212: that is so awesome. I've always liked the white costume, though green is great as well

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kgb725

@batmannflash: @daak1212: Doom is the godfather to Valeria because without him the baby most likely would have died and they let him name her Valeria because of what he did to the woman he loved who was named valeria and he promised to protect Reed's child to atone for his sins

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Lvenger

Reason no 5 is why I love Doom as a villain. He takes on every hero in the Marvel universe from Spider-Man and Daredevil to Thor and Silver Surfer. His versatility as an antagonist makes him a great character to pit against Marvel's heroes. Great blog!

ZeroPlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@batmannflash: Is there any comic book character who isn't awesome :P ?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By batmannflash
    Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Idk why I'm just now seeing this but nice, I love Doom. He needs a crossover with DC!!! Doom and Batman prep battle XDD

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.