Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9431 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

Was dick grayson robin in the new 52?

Regas13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Regas13

was dick grayson robin in the new 52? or don't we know yet? man i hope so:(

SuperShafe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SuperShafe

HE was Robin and for a time Batman

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By fodigg

@Regas13 said:

was dick grayson robin in the new 52? or don't we know yet? man i hope so:(

Yeah, he's a former Robin. None of the Robins were touched continuity-wise, they were just kind of scrunched together time-wise cause all their drama has to have happened in 5 years.

The one big retcon re: Grayson is that he never led the Teen Titans. He had some teamups, but nothing officially as a team. Teen Titans was apparently a new concept when Drake put his team together in the new run of Teen Titans post-Flashpoint.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

For the most part, Batman's continuity hasn't been changed all that much. Same for Green Lantern.

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By cosmo111687

@fodigg: But I thought that Starfire revealed that she did have memories of the Teen Titans, after-all. (I'm not sure, I haven't been reading it.)

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fodigg

@cosmo111687 said:

@fodigg: But I thought that Starfire revealed that she did have memories of the Teen Titans, after-all. (I'm not sure, I haven't been reading it.)

Yeah there were some continuity goofs at launch but the word-of-didio was that the titans didn't exist prior to the current run. All that stuff is being treated as misc. teamups.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SmoothJammin

C'mon, seriously? lmao. DC can tamper with alot of things but Dick Grayson's time as Robin is sacred.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Daveyo520

Yes, they even point it out in Batman #1 that he was.

Regas13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Regas13

@SmoothJammin: @Daveyo520: but when was he?

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By BatteredArmor

@Regas13: 5 years ago

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kidchipotle

@SmoothJammin said:

C'mon, seriously? lmao. DC can tamper with alot of things but Dick Grayson's time as Robin is sacred.

Preach it brotha

Avatar image for themilkywaydude
    TheMilkywayDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By TheMilkywayDude

I see Justice League as being about 8-11 years ago and Bruce at least having Jason by the time of it. And then he must have existed another 6 years before to have Dick and be on his own for a couple of years. I would rather think of it in this way to put my mind at rest. Justice League being 8-11 years ago totally makes more sense than 5, I mean how is that even possible? I would just make your own timeline which makes sense for you rather than listen to DCs messed up timeline.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By John Valentine

It has to have happened within the last five years? Why?

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fodigg

@John Valentine said:

It has to have happened within the last five years? Why?

I was actually wrong in saying that, because while Batman has only been operating in public for the last five years (Justice League), there's nothing to say he hasn't had a longer career before that in secret. However, we then get left with the impression that Grayson's entire time as Robin was secret and behind the scenes, which I suppose makes some amount of sense if he never publicly led a team of teenage superheroes.

Regas13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Regas13

@BlackArmor: so your saying that in the past 5 years dick was robin, became nightwing, jason became robin, died, tim drake became robin, they met Damian, who after bruce died became robin and dick who with less than 5 years of training became batman?

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BatteredArmor

@Regas13 said:

@BlackArmor: so your saying that in the past 5 years dick was robin, became nightwing, jason became robin, died, tim drake became robin, they met Damian, who after bruce died became robin and dick who with less than 5 years of training became batman?

....actually based on Dick's solo series that all happened in a little less than 5 years....

Regas13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Regas13

@BlackArmor: thats super dumb

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SmoothJammin

Somewhere in a Kyle Kiggins interview, I believe for newsarama(or CBR) it is stated Dick started as robin at 16. How effed up is that

luckydomino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By luckydomino1

this is why reboots are bad

batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By batmanary

I'm pretty sure that Batman's existed for 10 years or longer. Dick would have been Robin during that whole time where he's considered a myth.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BatteredArmor

@batmanary said:

I'm pretty sure that Batman's existed for 10 years or longer. Dick would have been Robin during that whole time where he's considered a myth.

I heard the 10 year thing to, but Nightwing #3 reveals the Dick was still in the circus with his parents 5 or so years ago

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, Dicks new timeline (Really the Bat family's in general) and the exclusion of the Teen Titans is one of The New 52's biggest mistakes in my opinion.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SmoothJammin

@Nathaniel_Christopher said:

Yeah, Dicks new timeline (Really the Bat family's in general) and the exclusion of the Teen Titans is one of The New 52's biggest mistakes in my opinion.

If you think about it, that whole first generation of sidekicks got the shaft. Wally, Roy, Donna, Beast-Boy, Raven..even Starfire. Only Cyborg got all the trimmings. Who'd have thought, lol.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By ReVamp

@SmoothJammin said:

If you think about it, that whole first generation of sidekicks got the shaft. Wally, Roy, Donna, Beast-Boy, Raven..even Starfire. Only Cyborg got all the trimmings. Who'd have thought, lol.

Well, Starfire seems pretty much the same, just being evolved as a character. Roy got f*cked, but honestly, he was fcked much before the reboot was announced during Cry For Justice. Raven is going to be appearing though... Beast Boy is appearing too, but he seems to be different. Cyborg did go well, but I still don't like him in the JLA.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ReVamp said:

@SmoothJammin said:

Well, Starfire seems pretty much the same, just being evolved as a character. Roy got f*cked, but honestly, he was fcked much before the reboot was announced during Cry For Justice. Raven is going to be appearing though... Beast Boy is appearing too, but he seems to be different. Cyborg did go well, but I still don't like him in the JLA.

Yeah the first gens got screwed, but as ReVamp pointed out, Roy was getting screwed before the change and so was Wally for that matter. Does anyone even remember where he was before Flashpoint?! All I remember is that he was basically replaced with Barry in every way. Both Donna and Wally need to reappear. At least they're doing new things with Starfire.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#26  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @fodigg: But Tim said at one point that "this will be the shortest incarnation of teen titans ever and that was in the last issue or the one before.
    Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I know he was Batman for a while in the new 52. So, my guess is that he was Robin also

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fodigg

@spiderbat87 said:

@fodigg: But Tim said at one point that "this will be the shortest incarnation of teen titans ever and that was in the last issue or the one before.

Another plot hole then. Somebody should really tell Dan Didio what his writers are doing.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @fodigg said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@fodigg: But Tim said at one point that "this will be the shortest incarnation of teen titans ever and that was in the last issue or the one before.

Another plot hole then. Somebody should really tell Dan Didio what his writers are doing.

When did Dido say there was no Titans?
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By fodigg

@spiderbat87 said:

@fodigg said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Ohhh, you're making me dig through my forum history WHY? How DARE you ask for verifiable evidence to support my wild claims! ~

The quotes I'm thinking of can be paraphrased roughly as "So these characters may have worked together in the past but never called themselves the Titans" and "... eventually the New Teen Titans will not have existed."

I was able to find a source here that says the "eventually the perez era will be gone," but that source was second hand and not a direct quote. It may, however, be the latter above quote I'm thinking of. I will continue to search for those quotes. The gist was, however, that Didio was talking and behaving as if the previous era of the Titans did not exist and that Wally/Donna were totally out, meanwhile launch books had clear indicators that for some writers this was not the approach they took.

I can see myself referencing these quotes on the first page but of course I didn't source them then either. This quote would've happened around the same time as the "no crisis events" quote, when people were still trying to pin down DCnU continuity and there was a lot of conflicting info from the DC brass.

As I'm unable to (at the moment anyway) find a direct Didio quote, these quotes should do:

Teen Titans editor Bobbie Chase: "Not only are these character meeting each other for the first time, in the New 52, this is the first incarnation of Teen Titans, ever" (source)

vs:

On Teen Titans History: “With Starfire in the Red Hood series and no Donna Troy, did that Teen Titans team ever come together?” Lobdell: “There are groups in the mythology that were called the Teen Titans before.” (source)

So while I don't have Didio's off-the-cuff remarks, there is (or at least was) some confusion among creators how much of the Titans history remained after the revamp.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @fodigg said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@fodigg said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Ohhh, you're making me dig through my forum history WHY? How DARE you ask for verifiable evidence to support my wild claims! ~

The quotes I'm thinking of can be paraphrased roughly as "So these characters may have worked together in the past but never called themselves the Titans" and "... eventually the New Teen Titans will not have existed."

I was able to find a source here that says the "eventually the perez era will be gone," but that source was second hand and not a direct quote. It may, however, be the latter above quote I'm thinking of. I will continue to search for those quotes. The gist was, however, that Didio was talking and behaving as if the previous era of the Titans did not exist and that Wally/Donna were totally out, meanwhile launch books had clear indicators that for some writers this was not the approach they took.

I can see myself referencing these quotes on the first page but of course I didn't source them then either. This quote would've happened around the same time as the "no crisis events" quote, when people were still trying to pin down DCnU continuity and there was a lot of conflicting info from the DC brass.

As I'm unable to (at the moment anyway) find a direct Didio quote, these quotes should do:

Teen Titans editor Bobbie Chase: "Not only are these character meeting each other for the first time, in the New 52, this is the first incarnation of Teen Titans, ever" (source)

vs:

On Teen Titans History: “With Starfire in the Red Hood series and no Donna Troy, did that Teen Titans team ever come together?” Lobdell: “There are groups in the mythology that were called the Teen Titans before.” (source)

So while I don't have Didio's off-the-cuff remarks, there is (or at least was) some confusion among creators how much of the Titans history remained after the revamp.

It sounds like none of them actually know, you'd think they would have a big meeting about this stuff before everything went to print
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By fodigg

@spiderbat87 said:

It sounds like none of them actually know, you'd think they would have a big meeting about this stuff before everything went to print

I know, right? One would think that'd be item number one when doing a revamp: what continuity are we keeping?

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SmoothJammin

Damn it guys.. I love the reboot and all but I seriously miss oldschool DC. Ugh.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ReVamp

@spiderbat87 said:

Biggest problem of the reboot is that no one actually knows what's going on with anything else. They haven't totally decided, or at least seemed to, what exactly is considered cannon or not, which kind of sucks.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Biggest problem of the reboot is that no one actually knows what's going on with anything else. They haven't totally decided, or at least seemed to, what exactly is considered cannon or not, which kind of sucks.

They should have got together with there writers and made a real basic timeline up to the present, so everyone knows whats happened and what's not
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ReVamp

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

They should have got together with there writers and made a real basic timeline up to the present, so everyone knows whats happened and what's not

Yeah man, they really should have done something like that. It doesn't even need to be extensive, but just knowing what characters are getting cut, what's getting retconned and whatnot, that would've made the reboot much more appealing to other people.

Darkmaster006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Darkmaster006

The News 52 timeline is a crap. It doesnt make sense and the Robins trained for six months and be Robin for six months, that very idiot and without sense. Im thinking my own timeline cause the original is horrible.

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

#38  Edited By Arkhamc1tizen

@JediXMan said:

For the most part, Batman's continuity hasn't been changed all that much. Same for Green Lantern.

umm tim was never robin thats quite a big change

redkevlar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By redkevlar

I think people get caught up in "Ohhh my! It never happened in the New 52", but this takes place from then so it really wouldn't matter since they are in the present and not the past. Also if Robin never existed anywhere people wouldn't be sad he wasn't there.

Superbat420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Superbat420

hes still robin, but the build up to him becoming nightwing, is completely destroyed. he should have no independence, with the new 52 hes off fighting crime by himself at the age of about 18 with only a year training? batmans a bad mentor obviously

LuigiBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LuigiBat

@Arkhamc1tizen said:

@JediXMan said:

umm tim was never robin thats quite a big change

The whole Tim thing is confusing to say the least. Technically he WAS and IS a Robin and he was most definitely trained by Bruce, he never served as Batman's Robin but was nonetheless a Robin of sorts. Tim not being Robin alongside Bruce is mainly down to the compressed timeline. Pre-flashpoint there were years between Jason's death and Tim discovering Nightwing and Batman's true identities and then attempting to become Robin, and even then Bruce was less than enthusiastic about the idea of another Robin after what happened to Jason. With the compressed timeline you'd be talking about a matter of months elapsing between Jason's death and Tim coming onto the scene, no way would Bruce let anyone else become a Robin so soon after Jason died. No doubt the Red Robin persona was partly thought up by Bruce as a means of allowing Tim to fight crime but not alongside Batman.

vernierhawk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By vernierhawk001

@SmoothJammin said:

Tim is an olympic -level gymnast....nothing is sacred.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.