Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9431 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

Recommendation: Which Nightwing trades to purchase?

rfilipek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I have two (hopefully, easy-to-answer) questions. I recently started reading the Nightwing trades. Through a local comic book store here in Orlando, Fla., I was able to purchase 7 trades (the ones they could order online):

• Bludhaven
    • Rough Justice
    • All five, post New 52 trades

I also have all of the Grayson issues to date (1-12), the two Grayson annuals, the Grayson Future's End issue, the Batgirl annual featuring Dick and Helena B., and the core Forever Evil comics (1-7).

Much to my chagrin, I learned there are 13 additional trades following Rough Justice and leading to the New 52 Nightwing. Not to mention the Nightwing/Huntress trade and Old Friends, New Enemies trade. Therefore, there are 15 trades not accounted for.

Question: Are these trades worth reading/buying? And, if so, should I buy them all or only certain ones? All of these have to be purchased online, probably via Amazon, since three of the comic stores I called can't order them or have them in stock. There's also a handful that are quite pricey. And, I've read/heard that the Devin Grayson years are probably worth skipping.

Any recommendations would be highly appreciated!

Thank you!

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Aahz

I'm not sure what are the respective trades but after the Death of Blockbuster in issue 93 there is not much worth reading with the exception Nightwing: Year One.

Old Friends, New Enemies is by the way more about Roy Harper than Dick Grayson.

Folly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The pre-N52 run is currently half-yearly published, that's probably why the shops only had the first two trades.

The Huntress/Nightwing Mini is something for in between. It's a secluded story and worth reading as long as you are not completely uninterested in Huntress.

Devin Grayson... It's better to leave her out. There are a few good Issues and not everything she wrote is bad but over all she made a whole lot of mistakes. It's easier to leave the mess after 93 out.

I started to enjoy Nightwing again starting with 125.

The last Issue's of Nightwing (147-150) can be left out. It's a set up to Batman R.I.P.

These reviews of the old run might help you too:

http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/dc-comics/nightwing

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go ahead and pick up the next two Nightwing trades set to release (Vol 3 in January and Vol 4 in April), as they continue Chuck Dixon's run, which is easily the best the character's ever had. You'd be better served in my opinion waiting for those than tracking down the other trades currently out, as they're reprinting the past works and will probably end up collecting all of Dixon's run at least.

Old Friends, New Enemies collects three adventures featuring Dick and Roy teaming up. Nothing spectacular or groundbreaking, but still nice. It also doesn't go for much last time I checked so i'd recommend that.

Devin Grayson can be skipped without missing anything of value, unless you're a perfectionist.

rfilipek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathaniel_christopher: Thanks! So, basically collect Love and Bullets and A Darker Shade of Justice when they come out next year? Sorry ... I'm still new to this!

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Aahz

@folly said:

I started to enjoy Nightwing again starting with 125.

But the Wolfman run (especially the 321 Days storyline) is also not that great (but still better as the crap before).

rfilipek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@folly: thanks! Appreciate your reply!

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rfilipek said:

@nathaniel_christopher: Thanks! So, basically collect Love and Bullets and A Darker Shade of Justice when they come out next year? Sorry ... I'm still new to this!

Yes

rfilipek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.