So as many of you that read the Nightwing forum already know, there a lot of complaints with Nightwing’s recent portrayal in the New 52. So instead of just crying about it I have thought of a solution and want to know what you guys think about it.
First the problems
1. Lack of connections to anyone in the DCU
2. Lack of growth over the years/stagnate/
3. Batman’s shadow/in Gotham
4. Not on a team
5. No Nemeses
Now the solution
As we know there are currently two timelines in the New 52,the main one where most of the characters are in and the Beyond time line where Batman Beyond, Superman Beyond, JL Beyond exists. My solution is creating a third timeline called the League of Titans timeline. For those of you that don’t know the League of Titans was briefly portrayed in “The Last Days Of Animal Man” they are basically the JL of the time between the older hero’s retirement and the Beyond universe.
How this solves the problems
1. Nightwing reestablishes all of his connections because in League of Titans he is the leader and is obviously well respectedand known in the DCU
2. This allows Nightwing to grow without a direct competition or overshadowing by Bruce since he is retired, and there is no way to really tell how good Bruce was before he retired since he is starting over in 52.
3. Nightwing will move back to Bludhaven and firmly have his own ground because according to DC, Gotham has a lot of crime before Terry but in Beyond there is no real super villains before Terry becomes the Bat so it’s understandable thatNW would focus his attention on more serious threats and by this time may have become more at home in Bludhaven.
4. This obviously puts him on a team
5. He can have his own villains that won’t be instantly be put on the bat radar because bats is retired
1. It gives Dick Grayson a future instead of the stupid “ I got shot in the eye and my daddy (Bruce) didn’t care so I quit, ohbut I understand cuz that’s how he is” excuse
2. It gives a place for all the other former sidekicks to thrive and grow as well.