Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9479 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

Nightwing's Big Move

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmoothJammin

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Squalleon

Bludhaven is destroyed so that's not choice anymore.

I don't think that Nightwing should move to other town again.He finally got some roots in Gotham with the circus and the "Gray-Son"

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SmoothJammin

An article in USA today mentions the fallout from issues 16-17 are going to push Nightwing in a bold new direction. Where does he go from DOTF? Kyle recently stated in the fatman podcast w/Keven Smith he wanted to produce a memorable NW story that established him as a standalone hero. The interview left me with the impression that Nightwing is going to lead his own charge. Batman won't have much business in NW's future endeavors which I think is great b/c when the two of them are paired together Dick is usually outshined and relegated to jobber status(Batman #7 falcon punch, the conclusion of Nightwing #16 etc). I've always felt he was stronger when distanced from the Batman family. Where does he go?

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SmoothJammin

@Squalleon said:

I don't think that Nightwing should move to other town again.He finally got some roots in Gotham with the circus and the "Gray-Son"

Will the circus want to stay in Gotham, even after what happened in issue 16?

Will Dick even want to coexist with Bruce who withheld so much from the batfamily for that matter?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By Squalleon

@SmoothJammin said:

@Squalleon said:

Will Dick even want to coexist with Bruce who withheld so much from the batfamily for that matter?

Will the circus be alive after Issue 16 is the right question :-P

Yeah i think that Dick will get some roots in Gotham and that Higgins didn't Build the Circus just to destroy it in one issue.I don't know what they have planed for the aftermanth but from the solitics it doesn't seem that Nightwing has any intention of leaving gotham.Probably he will retrain himself and will cut his ties to Bruce once again.

Avatar image for goldenboy_prime
    Goldenboy_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Goldenboy_Prime

I chose other. Some guy on CBR came up with some amazing Vegas concept. It was brilliant. Most of the cities listed are easy to write as grim and Nightwing should be written in a different tone than Batman. Vegas is an entertainment based and vice laden city, a showman like Grayson would fit that scene pretty well. Also, I don't recall that city ever being heavily used in comics if at all.

I know they was no vote or response to this but, why would anyone got to Metropolis? Aren't Superboy and Supergirl based out of there along with Superman? I mean you should at least leave some lowly cannon fodder for the police to catch, you know show their worth.

Anyway if I can find that post I'll repost some of it's excerpts over here. Realistically though, I don't even care if he stays or leaves. I just a good direction to drive the freaking story and for them to stop tanking the character and mutilating his history. Am I asking for too much?

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SmoothJammin

@Squalleon said:

@SmoothJammin said:

@Squalleon said:

Will the circus be alive after Issue 16 is the right question :-P

Yeah i think that Dick will get some roots in Gotham and that Higgins didn't Build the Circus just to destroy it in one issue.I don't know what they have planed for the aftermanth but from the solitics it doesn't seem that Nightwing has any intention of leaving gotham.Probably he will retrain himself and will cut his ties to Bruce once again.

Well, in Kyle's defense when talks of DOTF got rolling I remember an excerpt Scott made about this event being a big welcoming party for Joker. Given the nature of the crossover if the character was to be used within other titles writers were to treat it as if this was their one shot at writing a definitive Joker story. New 52 Joker quickly became a wrecking ball. His existence lend itself to tearing the heroes world apart until there was nothing left standing. To writer Kyle Higgins it meant pulling out all the stops, at the expense of losing Raya, Jimmy, Amusement Mile and possibly Haly's Circus he's made well on his end of the deal.

Recently the way Nightwing's been put through the wringer it wouldn't surprise me if we we were hit with a tragedy on par with Chemo at the end, it's just the nature of the beast when you decide on collaborating with a maniac like Scott Snyder. The aftermath will deal with Dick drawing upon his innate ability to find hope in the darkest recesses of his self and overcoming unlike Bats who will be haunted by the attacks made on his family by his ghastly nemesis forever. Even it means soldiering on and leaving Gotham for a new locale I'm betting Dick will enable a complete payoff from this much like Black Mirror where at the finale he found his identity(something he couldn't say from the beginning)and ultimately came out stronger.

@Goldenboy_Prime said:

I chose other. Some guy on CBR came up with some amazing Vegas concept. It was brilliant. Most of the cities listed are easy to write as grim and Nightwing should be written in a different tone than Batman. Vegas is an entertainment based and vice laden city, a showman like Grayson would fit that scene pretty well. Also, I don't recall that city ever being heavily used in comics if at all.

I know they was no vote or response to this but, why would anyone got to Metropolis? Aren't Superboy and Supergirl based out of there along with Superman? I mean you should at least leave some lowly cannon fodder for the police to catch, you know show their worth.

Anyway if I can find that post I'll repost some of it's excerpts over here. Realistically though, I don't even care if he stays or leaves. I just a good direction to drive the freaking story and for them to stop tanking the character and mutilating his history. Am I asking for too much?

Haha yeah I've heard the Vegas pitch a couple times. I'll agree it crossed my mind when I created the topic I just didn't know how it would resonate among viners. What an opportunity both major companies are missing out on by not cashing their chips in on a marketable locale like sin city eh(zing!)? So much symmetry you can make within the context of the story and it's hero, it's an inversion of Gotham in many respects. I can see Nightwing ebbing and flowing with the tide of Vegas' crooked infrastructure.

The Metropolis touch was a product of my own curiousity. I figured since Supes was a huge inspiration for him growing up the first thing Dick would have on his mind as he left Batman's turf was visiting his cool relatable uncle, and reclaim some of the wholesomeness he lost whenever he decided to mainstay Gotham as Nightwing and forget about his Titan friends. Of course the general consensus would argue, in a city full of metahumans/supervillains what role can NW possibly play that isn't grasping at straws..? Allow me to break a couple options down.

A.) Metropolis very own vigilante hero. The city's southside hosts a crime ridden area so infested with gang activity and high murder rate even Superman can't bring himself to wipe it all out. This is of course known as Suicide Slums. My line of thinking was since Nightwing has experience in dealing with organized crime and working with the police this is the perfect backdrop for him. Many heroes have taken up residence there at some point in their costumed careers but none of those guys had the track record Grayson does. Superman's hands are usually full dealing with heavy hitters, the least Nightwing can do is extinguish the lower level threats inhabiting the lesser guarded projects. Every once in a while maybe you can even throw in a tango with Lex Luthor.

B.)Form up with Steel and have him work on an upgrade to the current costume, transitioning him into a Batman Beyond of sorts.. Doing so allows Grayson the freedom to combat rogues alongside Superman and maintain a semblance of uniformity to Metropolis' futuristic tone(i.e. the batman of tomorrow) It would be groundbreaking if it happened, and undoubtedly a huge turning point for the character in future issues. As a result the disparity in skill between Bruce and Dick's will dissipate from the current Mentor/sidekick dynamic it almost feels like nowadays. Leaves room in Gotham for Tim to come back and shift the focus on Batman's younger Robins development.

Idk man I dig it. Lets not forget, Snyder will eventually be moving to Superman. Both writers have been known to exchange story ideas and work together well on projects so I really think this could work. Dick Grayson is probably the only hero who has enough creative leeway to hop between titles without fear of scrutiny.

darkwingdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By darkwingdan

@Squalleon: Kyle Higgins mentioned that Dick's time in Bludhaven never happened in the New 52.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Crash_Recovery

@darkwingdan: Right-O. I heard him say that to Kev Smith. At this point it's hard to tell what in previous continuity means anything. I still love the stories from the Dixon/McDaniel era though. It's a shame those trades are out of print.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well we know he's going to be out of Gotham more often anyways due to working with the JLI. Besides that, and since Haley's is no more, I say he should go back to Bludhaven. They've retconned so much other stuff, no reason they couldn't retcon it being nuked to kingdom come, or even just simply rebuilt like Coast City was. If they go the route of them rebuilding it, that gives the added benefit of Dick being able to remember his old adventures there and show us more of his past, and establishing what's still canon from his time there.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SmoothJammin

@Nathaniel_Christopher said:

Well we know he's going to be out of Gotham more often anyways due to working with the JLI. Besides that, and since Haley's is no more, I say he should go back to Bludhaven. They've retconned so much other stuff, no reason they couldn't retcon it being nuked to kingdom come, or even just simply rebuilt like Coast City was. If they go the route of them rebuilding it, that gives the added benefit of Dick being able to remember his old adventures there and show us more of his past, and establishing what's still canon from his time there.

The best thing about Bludhaven was the distance if offered away from Gotham. It was far enough so that Bats was out of Nightwing's hair. When a crisis hit Gotham Dick literally only had to cross a couple bridges to get there. You're right though, what with all the n52 retcons you'd think they can handwave Bludhaven being wiped off the planet. They've already taken so much away from Dick. We're getting a poor man's Batman basically(literally) unless something changes quick.

SuperJedi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By SuperJedi17

I started reading new 52 and i want to see bludhaven,just to see what all the hoopla is all about,and to some of the architecture.

Vitacura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Vitacura

A whole new city. A mix between Amsterdam and Las Vegas. :)

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SmoothJammin

@Vitacura said:

A whole new city. A mix between Amsterdam and Las Vegas. :)

I wish this place existed in real life..

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SmoothJammin

DOTF is exactly what I mean when it comes to Nightwing in Batman crossovers. He'll never be deemed 'special' so long as Batman leads the charge. Dick Grayson is a sad example of a guy who can't have his cake and eat it living in Gotham. A very good character just a step behind the elite when you peg him as Batman's assistant. You can never bank on him to win the the fights that matter. You forget he even stood in for Bruce for an entire year. Break free kid! ..Listen to Joker.

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#16  Edited By wessaari

The fact that Kyle said that gives me so much hope. His presence in Batman is important to Bruce, but Dick has been getting a bad shake in return. The end of Batman 17 gives me hope that Dick needs his space away from Bruce and hopefully all of Gotham.

LuigiBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LuigiBat

The ending panels of Batman 17 do basically show that Dick will be on his way out of Gotham, he brushes Bruce off and rides off on his motorbike.

Glad he's moving away to start anew (nowhere else to go but up from here) now. Perhaps we won't see Dick getting his ass kicked so much now. One thing I've found contradictory is how Dick could've been Batman for a year yet consistently gets shown being beaten to a pulp by villains in his own series. Doesn't add up.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By consolemaster001

G-G-G-G-Gotham !

lilcraig92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lilcraig92

I had pick chicago before dc came out and said it

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep its not official that Nightwing will be doing his own thing in Chicago for a while, and more importantly will be far away from Gotham.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.