Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9484 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

How are you guys liking Brett Booth on Nightwing?

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#1  Edited By Extremis

Nightwing #19 saw a huge step up in the art department IMO. I hope thy can keep this creative team for as long as possible. What are your guys thoughts?

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Extremis

I think Brett is by far the best Nightwing artist of the New 52. Here's some of his work:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

mpierce2690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

His energetic art style is going to be perfect for Nightwing, though I hope moving off a multi-character book like Teen Titans will give him more time to work on other characters because he's got a bad knack of making every character look like the same person sometimes.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His energetic art style is going to be perfect for Nightwing, though I hope moving off a multi-character book like Teen Titans will give him more time to work on other characters because he's got a bad knack of making every character look like the same person sometimes.

His energetic art style is going to be perfect for Nightwing,

I agree. He really nails Dick's gleeful acrobatism. He always has Dick with this little smirk, which really shows he gets Nightwing. Some previous artists (Barrows, for example) showed Dick serious faced all the time, flipping through the air. But lets not forget Dick is someone who absolutely LOVES what he does. He's a character who enjoys being a masked hero and exudes the love of his craft.

though I hope moving off a multi-character book like Teen Titans will give him more time to work on other characters because he's got a bad knack of making every character look like the same person sometimes.

I've heard people say he draws Dick and Tim similarly yet I don't see it. Dick, Tim and Jason all look rather similar to begin with. They all have similar height, physique and hair. Even an artist like Capullo (who I really enjoy, anyway) seems to show a likeness between each character.

No Caption Provided

But I haven't read Teen Titans so I wouldn't know if he makes likenesses with other characters. Anyway, I'm enjoying his art a lot thus far. Lets hope it continues!

mpierce2690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis: In Teen Titans, almost every character looks the same. Even the girls look a lot like the guys. It's the shape and characteristics on their faces. A little chin hair and dark skin on Bunker isn't enough. It is a recurring issue for most artists, though I have to give Capuallo credit, he does a good job making Bruce, Alfred, and Gordon look very different in facial structure, but sometimes characters end up looking the same still.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like Booth's work so far. I think it's a pretty big step up from the previous issues.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mpierce2690 said:

This. My biggest concern is the same as it always is with the "Robins". They naturally look very similar. If you tried to describe them physically you could almost have someone looking for the same person 3 times over. Booth has the talent, he simply needs to put in the right amount of attention to avoid this with all characters that appear in Dick's book.

mpierce2690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mpierce2690 said:

This. My biggest concern is the same as it always is with the "Robins". They naturally look very similar. If you tried to describe them physically you could almost have someone looking for the same person 3 times over. Booth has the talent, he simply needs to put in the right amount of attention to avoid this with all characters that appear in Dick's book.

I'm not so worried about similarities between the various Robins, because like you said, they all look about the same (though I'll be concerned if Stephanie Brown has short black hair, haha). I would say I like Dick more smirk-y/smile-y, Jason more frown-y/broody, and Tim more calm and calculating. Though I'm not sure how you'd do that, but just off the top of my head.

But as far as Booth goes, I meant more like Superboy looking identical to Tim and if you took off the chin hair and a gave him a lighter skin tone, Bunker would be a dead ringer for them too.

czechoslovakia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am feelin it

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathaniel_christopher said:

@mpierce2690 said:

I'm not so worried about similarities between the various Robins, because like you said, they all look about the same (though I'll be concerned if Stephanie Brown has short black hair, haha). I would say I like Dick more smirk-y/smile-y, Jason more frown-y/broody, and Tim more calm and calculating. Though I'm not sure how you'd do that, but just off the top of my head.

But as far as Booth goes, I meant more like Superboy looking identical to Tim and if you took off the chin hair and a gave him a lighter skin tone, Bunker would be a dead ringer for them too.

I know that's why I said he needs to avoid it with the other characters that will appear in Dick's book, as the chances of Jason or Tim showing up anytime soon are a little slim lol black haired, dudes are quite common in any universe.

mpierce2690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathaniel_christopher: I guess what I'm thinking about is developing different facial structures for different characters and what not. I mean, look at how Capullo does Bruce vs. Gordon:

No Caption Provided

Different face shapes altogether. Bruce's is rather round while Gordon's is long and thin. Now, it's not like Capullo doesn't end up making other characters look the same, all of his Robins look about the same, but I love when there is a conscious effort to distinguish characters by more than hair color or the symbol on their chest.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

I don't like the faces. But overall he is a good artist.

vernierhawk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mpierce2690 said:

@mpierce2690 said:

I know that's why I said he needs to avoid it with the other characters that will appear in Dick's book, as the chances of Jason or Tim showing up anytime soon are a little slim lol black haired, dudes are quite common in any universe.

Finally. I haven't enjoyed the interior work on Nightwing for a while (that wasn't Barrow's right? He mainly did covers, didn't he?) Especially the past two issues.

As for differentiating, they should have kept Todd as having red hair that he dyed black and I think the height differences and physicality or the Robins should be a little different. Dick is more of an acrobat but Todd is more of a fighter/brawler imo.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mpierce2690 said:

@mpierce2690 said:

Finally. I haven't enjoyed the interior work on Nightwing for a while (that wasn't Barrow's right? He mainly did covers, didn't he?) Especially the past two issues.

As for differentiating, they should have kept Todd as having red hair that he dyed black and I think the height differences and physicality or the Robins should be a little different. Dick is more of an acrobat but Todd is more of a fighter/brawler imo.

Agreed. Jason should always be a little shorter than Dick in my opinion, but with more noticeable muscle on his frame.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.