Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9486 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

He ever had a arc-nemesis?

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I think that Two-Face might be a candidate.

dropkickjake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There was Deathstrok during the New Teen Titans. Also, Blockbuster during Dixon's run on Daredev- errmm... i mean Nightwing.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All three, Deathstroke, Blockbuster, and Two-Face, would all fit the bill if more focus was given to them in terms of the Nightwing series.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for graysonofgotham
    graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2 said:

@nathaniel_christopher: Ah yeah, totally forgot Blockbuster. But I disagree about Deathstroke.

Deathstroke and Dick Grayson have a long history pre New 52. I don't see how you can disagree with that. Dick has faced Slade as Robin, Nightwing, and even Batman before the reboot.

I3IO_HAZARD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By I3IO_HAZARD

Deathstroke is his arch-nemesis

dropkickjake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2 said:

@nathaniel_christopher: Ah yeah, totally forgot Blockbuster. But I disagree about Deathstroke.

Honestly, I think the only one that might not work is Two-Face because of his very strong ties to Batman. Blockbuster's ties to the Bat are smaller, and Deathstroke was created for the New Teen Titans, and I believe particularly had it out for Dick. He's the only one of the three not created for Batman, and he was created for what was probably the best selling book Dick ever starred in.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2 said:

As has already been stated, Dick and Slade had clashed numerous times Pre-Flashpoint, with a lot of bad blood existing between them. Before the Green Arrow/Deathstroke thing popped up after Identity Crisis, I would've said he was more Dick's villain than anyone else's.

dropkickjake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2 said:

As has already been stated, Dick and Slade had clashed numerous times Pre-Flashpoint, with a lot of bad blood existing between them. Before the Green Arrow/Deathstroke thing popped up after Identity Crisis, I would've said he was more Dick's villain than anyone else's.

The fact that Deathstroke "outgrew" the Titan in general and Dick in specific is one of the more... insulting things done to Dick. "Oh, this is a popular and interesting villain? Better get him away from Grayson."

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't consider Deathstroke a arc-nemesis to Nightwing, mostly because he is connected to a bunch of other heroes. I don't think NightWing has a true arc-nemesis for himself...maybe blockbuster but most of his villains are Batman villains

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathaniel_christopher said:

@waezi2 said:

The fact that Deathstroke "outgrew" the Titan in general and Dick in specific is one of the more... insulting things done to Dick. "Oh, this is a popular and interesting villain? Better get him away from Grayson."

I actually thought Arrow/Deathstroke was handled far better than Nightwing/Deathstroke ever was, which is where my earlier point about Dick getting villains, but then not having them receive the proper focus. After Identity Crisis, it was made very clear that Slade was gunning for Oliver, that he perhaps hated him, and that the feeling was mutual. You had Oliver training and preparing for Slade's attack, getting into his head even by being trained by one of Slade's old teachers, and Slade in turn keeping track of Oliver, and working with others to bring him down, etc.

Basically, no writer has ever really tried to do that for Dick, to make him a Joker or a Lex Luthor that will last through the ages. Very annoying in my opinion.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2 said:

@nathaniel_christopher: I got to read Green Arrow one day.

Haven't been reading it since early New 52 myself, though it was already going downhill prior to that as well. May give it another chance sometime soon. If you ever get around to it though, check out the Longbow Hunters trade, as well as anything written by Judd Winick.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathaniel_christopher: I read Winick's Green Arrow/Black Canary, and I liked that a lot.

Have you read Winick's Batman? Is it good?

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By youknowwhattodo

Blockbuster is probably the closest we have come to a Dick Grayson arch-nemesis. During Morrison's Batman and Robin run, it did seem as though Jason Todd as Red Hood was going to shape up to be Dick Grayson's arch-nemesis but obviously that is no longer the case :(.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

I consider Deathstroke to be the arch-nemesis as I consider Two-Face more of a Batman foe/friend/lost cause and Blockbuster just (to me) lacks the iconic staying power that an arch-nemesis should have (underlined by the fact he was killed and never brought back).

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2 said:

@nathaniel_christopher: I read Winick's Green Arrow/Black Canary, and I liked that a lot.

Have you read Winick's Batman? Is it good?

Yes! I'd say his work on Batman is just as good as his work on Green Arrow. He is the guy who gave us Under the Red Hood after all, which in my opinion still stands as the greatest Jason Todd story after his resurrection. Everyone else has pretty much been competing for second best since.

Avatar image for blackhawk000111
    blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tim Seeley made promise to give Dick arc namesis

nightwingism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fist of Cain is a thing in Nightwing 30, what if his new arch nemesis is going to be David Cain, the father of Cassandra Cain? Long shot, yeah, but it isn't that bad of a bet

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By redwingx

James Gordon Jr is Dick's Joker.

He has him no more but you said has he ever had one soooo

DwightSpitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Jason Todd maybe? lol I dont know... like people already said, he doesnt really seem to have an arch-nemesis.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwingx said:

I thought he was Babs?

dropkickjake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dropkickjake

@waezi2: Scott Snyder set James Jr up as Dick's "dark reflection," villain (much like the Joker is for Bruce) in a book called Black Mirror while Dick was Batman. You should check it out; its arguable one of the best Dick Grayson stories of all time.

Speaking of Dick's time as Batman, Professor Pyg could have been set up as a wonderful villain for Dick, maybe not arch-nemesis, but certainly the top tier of his rogues. If only they hadn't given him to Bruce

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwingx said:

I'd say that's a hefty comparison, and a bit of an exaggeration. I think there was potential for that to happen, but it was never actually fulfilled. They really only had the one confrontation, which didn't leave a lasting impact at the end of the day. Indeed, Jr's become more a Batgirl villain than a Nightwing one.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.