Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9430 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

Can Nightwing surpass Batman?

• 146 results
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Nighthunter

Well I think the Title says everything

What do you think?

Can the former boy wonder surpass the dark knight?

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Darkchild

i dont think so. Batman would have to die to be able to surpass him

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Nighthunter

Colt Python says:

"The real question is as popular as Batman is..do you think DC would let him surpass Batman?"

I agree with you in fact I think that one time I read that some guys from DC admitted that the reason Grayson hasn't surpassed Batman is because they have been holding it

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Vrakmul

He will only surpass batman when batman becomes a very very old man.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Darkchild

Colt Python says:

"The real question is as popular as Batman is..do you think DC would let him surpass Batman?"

yes and no

Yes because they are always wanting to up the anty on current characters. And personally i dont think Nightwing is getting crap of comics. his comics now are nothing of what he can truly do.

No because give me a break its freaking batman

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vrakmul

Nightwingprodigalson says:

"Dreadnaught says:
    "He will only surpass batman when batman becomes a very very old man."

I'm not totally sure

NW is:

-More agile

-Way Younger and almost as his level

-Better Leader

-More natural warrior

And Batman is always saying that NW is surpassing him (at least since Donna's wedding)

"

Batman ages way more slowly than a normal person does . About ten times more slowly.

Pink Awesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Pink Awesome

I cant see Nightwing surpassing Batman until Batman retires, but even then it isnt surpassing so much as just handing over the reins. Nightwing just doesnt have the said 'brilliant mind' that Wayne has.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nighthunter

Dreadnaught says:

"He will only surpass batman when batman becomes a very very old man."

I'm not totally sure

NW is:

-More agile

-Better Leader

-More natural warrior

And Batman is always saying that NW is surpassing him (at least since Donna's wedding)

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Vrakmul

"Yeah NW will never be as smart as Batman but it doesn't mean he can't do it (if DC allows it)"

Very few comic book companies allow their cash cow character's to be exeeded, much less allow them a succsessor.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nighthunter

Yeah NW will never be as smart as Batman but it doesn't mean he can't do it (if DC allows it)

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nighthunter

Dreadnaught says:

"Nightwingprodigalson says:
    "Yeah NW will never be as smart as Batman but it doesn't mean he can't do it (if DC allows it)"

Very few comic book companies allow their cash cow character's to be exeeded, much less allow them a succsessor."

Yeah you're right but since Batman will probably be killed soon maybe NW will have his time to REALLY shine

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vrakmul

"Dreadnaught says:
    "Nightwingprodigalson says:

Very few comic book companies allow their cash cow character's to be exeeded, much less allow them a succsessor."

Yeah you're right but since Batman will probably be killed soon maybe NW will have his time to REALLY shine"

Look at superman, he's been here since 1938 and they still haven't allowed him to be exeeded, much less having a succsessor any time in the near future.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nighthunter

Is a little bit diferent Superman didn't have a Succesor or a sidekick old enough and the only one near (superboy) was killed

Batman has his candidates of succesor decided

And besides Bruce Wayne can be killed but since Batman is a simbol they can still have it

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nighthunter

Tim Drake will surpase him in detective skills and maybe in inteligence

Grayson will surpase him in the other things

Avatar image for renegade_lantern
    Renegade Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Renegade Lantern

YES!!!!!!!!! He can!

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Batman will never get old.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Nighthunter

Colt Python says:

"Every human has the ability to surpass another.Eventually DC will have to let him surpass BATMAN though because heroes will get old eventually."

agreed

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Methos

Colt Python says:

"Every human has the ability to surpass another.Eventually DC will have to let him surpass BATMAN though because heroes will get old eventually."

actually no he won't...

of he at least has the technology available to him to live forever without any mortal damage affecting him

M

Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By Spectrum

A) You dont surpass Bat's he lets you through

B) Bat's will never die. Hes one of the big three WW, Sups and him arnt goign anywheer for a reall long time,

weather or not they get a new Batman i dont know, but what you should be asking is

can Nightwing surpass Bruce Wayne?

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Colt Python says:

Your talking like this is the real word. If Nightwing was going to surpass Batman, he would have done it already.

Dick Grayson isn't half the man Batman, was, is, and well become. Think about what your saying, Batman is part of the DCU Trinity. Can you honestly see Batman being gone, and Nightwing, NIGHTWING standing next to Superman and Wonder Woman? You guys are smoking crack.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Methos

Colt Python says:

"It can happen."

The Tech that Supergirl sold him from Kandor (Supergirl issue 7) rewrites his DNA on the fly, giving him a healing factor that makes Wolverine look like a spastic with a guide dog.

he is truly immortal with that Tech

M

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Colt Python says:

"Methos says:
    "Colt Python says:
    "It can happen."
    The Tech that Supergirl sold him from Kandor (Supergirl issue 7) rewrites his DNA on the fly, giving him a healing factor that makes Wolverine look like a spastic with a guide dog. he is truly immortal with that Tech M"

How do you know that somewhere down the line DC won't say "ya know what Batman is getting stale, not many writers are comin in to do this.Batman isn't fresh.lET'S DO SOMETHING NEW!.Let's have Bruce step down as Batman ad give Grayson and Drake a chance.""

60 plus years of Batman re-inviting himself. Thats how.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Methos

it might happen... but that would be against everything we know of Batman as a character...

he will never step down while there is still crime in the world, that is one of the founding basics of the character

M

Eradicator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Eradicator

I don't think Dick or Tim will surpass Bruce. Batman is one of the corner stones of the DC universe. To much has been invested in his persona, and he IS the measuring stick of bada$$ in D.C. Nightwing will always play second to Bats until they completely remove him from that picture. Batman has to many protege's floating around and in my opinion they have had ample opportunity to have Batman surpassed and have chose not to. They know there bread and butter!

Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By Spectrum

Eradicator says:

"I don't think Dick or Tim will surpass Bruce. Batman is one of the corner stones of the DC universe. To much has been invested in his persona, and he IS the measuring stick of bada$$ in D.C. Nightwing will always play second to Bats until they completely remove him from that picture. Batman has to many protege's floating around and in my opinion they have had ample opportunity to have Batman surpassed and have chose not to. They know there bread and butter!"

nicely said

crazy spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By crazy spidey

not on my watch shoots Nighwing in the spine take that Bi4tch

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nighthunter

By accident I found this old interview from ign to Judd Winnick and I think he does make a point in case batman is replaced

IGN Comics: Could there or should there ever be a Batman other than Bruce Wayne?

JW: Well, unfortunately, I'm gonna give you the chickens--- answer that it all depends on the story. It depends on how it's done. It can be done really, really well in the short term. That's the thing, you can't ever permanently replace Batman. I think anybody reading that story knows that if someone else is putting on the cowl, it won't be forever. Because it can't be. The triumphant moment will come when [Bruce Wayne] returns. That's the story. The story is what happens before he comes back, it's not that he'll never be Batman again. It's foolish to even argue about that point. And foolish in the sense of going on message boards and saying, "I can't believe they replaced Batman." No they haven't, they replaced Batman for now. He's coming back and the point is how he's going to do that and that's going to be fascinating. And they're going to enjoy the ride until it happens.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Judd Winnick? Green Arrow fan boy Judd? Real World ass!@*$ Judd? That doesn't hold much weight for me. Sorry.
    Post Edited:2007-11-01 23:04:56

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Nighthunter

King of Kings says:

"Judd Winnick? Green Arrow fan boy Judd? Real World ass!@*$ Judd? That doesn't hold much weight for me. Sorry.
    Post Edited:2007-11-01 23:04:56"

ok the guy sucks but what he said about batman makes sense

CasterDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#30  Edited By CasterDude

I truely think dick nightwing can pass bruce he knows everything bruce knows and other stuff like from mr.terific.the question and every other super horo in the dcu and bruce is all self taut hes gunna pass him if dc allows it he should pass him he is ten fold better than bruce

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Eternal Chaos

Doesn't Batman have that gadget Kara gave him that makes him immortal or something? If that's the case, Nightwing'll be far from successful.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Eternal Chaos says:

"Doesn't Batman have that gadget Kara gave him that makes him immortal or something? If that's the case, Nightwing'll be far from successful."

Give this man a cigar lmao

Apparition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Apparition

Nighthunter says:

"Colt Python says:
    I agree with you in fact I think that one time I read that some guys from DC admitted that the reason Grayson hasn't surpassed Batman is because they have been holding it"

lol that's silly. they're all fictional characters! they arent holding him back. everything he does, they write for him. the reason he'll never surpass batman is because people like batman more.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#34  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Apparition says:

"Nighthunter says:
    "Colt Python says:
    I agree with you in fact I think that one time I read that some guys from DC admitted that the reason Grayson hasn't surpassed Batman is because they have been holding it"

lol that's silly. they're all fictional characters! they arent holding him back. everything he does, they write for him. the reason he'll never surpass batman is because people like batman more."

True.

speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By speedlgt

The thing that always rubs me wrong abut DC (and I love DC) is that they seem to be stuck on the trinty concept. thus anyone not the big 3 kinda will never get pushed as much. I dont see the reason behind that at all. DC has a ton of great heros (better than marvel in some respects) that could be pushed to limit and make them a ton of money. But DC will ony focus on the 3. Nightwing is caught up in that mix. I always saw nightwing as the one to lead the DCU in the future. In a world with out the big 3 Nightwing leads the JLA and thus leads the superhero community. the other thing I see is nightwing and Drake both being batman and making up for each others weak points. no one can repalce batman but those 2 in a combined efffort could do it

Apparition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Apparition

speedlgt says:

"The thing that always rubs me wrong abut DC (and I love DC) is that they seem to be stuck on the trinty concept. thus anyone not the big 3 kinda will never get pushed as much. I dont see the reason behind that at all. DC has a ton of great heros (better than marvel in some respects) that could be pushed to limit and make them a ton of money. But DC will ony focus on the 3. Nightwing is caught up in that mix. I always saw nightwing as the one to lead the DCU in the future. In a world with out the big 3 Nightwing leads the JLA and thus leads the superhero community. the other thing I see is nightwing and Drake both being batman and making up for each others weak points. no one can repalce batman but those 2 in a combined efffort could do it"

you want them to get rid of the big three?

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Nighthunter

speedlgt says:

"The thing that always rubs me wrong abut DC (and I love DC) is that they seem to be stuck on the trinty concept. thus anyone not the big 3 kinda will never get pushed as much. I dont see the reason behind that at all. DC has a ton of great heros (better than marvel in some respects) that could be pushed to limit and make them a ton of money. But DC will ony focus on the 3. Nightwing is caught up in that mix. I always saw nightwing as the one to lead the DCU in the future. In a world with out the big 3 Nightwing leads the JLA and thus leads the superhero community. the other thing I see is nightwing and Drake both being batman and making up for each others weak points. no one can repalce batman but those 2 in a combined efffort could do it"

To be fair Superman and Batman are the ones that get a lot of attention, sadly wonder woman doesn't get as much attention or appearances as the other two.

speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By speedlgt

not at all I like the big three But I see that nightwing has his place as the future. Problem the future is like 50 years away the way heros age.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Nighthunter says:

"speedlgt says:

To be fair Superman and Batman are the ones that get a lot of attention, sadly wonder woman doesn't get as much attention or appearances as the other two."

Thats true.

But I can agree with speedlgt to. Like in the issue of the new JLA when there picking teams. They look at the pic of Nightwing and they all agree he should be in, but Batman says no, he already asked and Dick turned them down. Now thats just dumb (in my opinion) that was a prefect opportunity to showcase Nightwing along side the Big Three. Show the readers how he matches up with the upper echelon of the DCU.

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Eternal Chaos

Nighthunter says:

"speedlgt says:
    To be fair Superman get a lot of attention..."

Get rid of Superman and the world will be better. LoL

Apparition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Apparition

speedlgt says:

"not at all I like the big three But I see that nightwing has his place as the future. Problem the future is like 50 years away the way heros age. "

to tell you the truth as long as there is a dc i think superman, batman and wonderwoman will be about the same age they are now.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Nighthunter

Gambler says:

"Nighthunter says:
    "speedlgt says:

To be fair Superman and Batman are the ones that get a lot of attention, sadly wonder woman doesn't get as much attention or appearances as the other two."

Thats true.

But I can agree with speedlgt to. Like in the issue of the new JLA when there picking teams. They look at the pic of Nightwing and they all agree he should be in, but Batman says no, he already asked and Dick turned them down. Now thats just dumb (in my opinion) that was a prefect opportunity to showcase Nightwing along side the Big Three. Show the readers how he matches up with the upper echelon of the DCU. "

well if I'm not wrong Nightwing has already declined membership in the justice league at least for times lol besides being the leader in the obsidian age, which had a very good lineup in my opinion

Also if I'm not mistaken, I think it was Meltzer the one that asked Didio to let Red Arrow be the titan that would join the JLA. And that Nightwing stayed with the outsiders, another thing that it's stupid in my opinion

and batman's personal opinion lol

G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By G'bandit

well it says that nightwing was one of dc's greatest and he didnt even had a comic yet so i really think he is superior... its just that batman is DC's baby... even if Dick was there since the bigining they even have tried to kill him.. but batman is still alive and kicking... i really think is just that DC dont let him be better.. but still he is..... x im waiting for the movie that is comming 2009 nightwing and the teen titans is already in development and i bet it kicks batman's hairy butt :p

blade hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By blade hunter

im not to sure about nightwing over taking batman but i think tim drake will

Avatar image for charmanderomega
    charmanderomega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By charmanderomega

i think if nightwing and batman were in a battle to the death they would both die

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By John Valentine

Nighthunter said:

NW is:

-More agile

-Better Leader

-More natural warrior

And Batman is always saying that NW is surpassing him (at least since Donna's wedding.

Hmmm... Nightwing is what in his early twenties? Bruce must be approaching his mid-late thirties by now......

Nightwwing is so close to Batman's skill levels at a reasonably young age but it must be kept in mind that he's been a crime fighter since he was twelve and he's been trained in acrobatics since before that. Moreover, Nightwing was trained by Batman himself.

Nightwing may not be as clever but he will surpases Batman as a crime-fighter. Tim Drake on the other hand will become a better detective.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By lordraiden

Can he surpass him (Batman)? Yes! Will he surpass him? That's left up to the imagination of the writer and the credibility of the story :-)

knife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#48  Edited By knife

Nightwing is the ONLY one who can replace Batman or take over the cowl,
    he has more intelligence and he is also more human then Batman.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#49  Edited By NightFang3  Online
    Nighthunter said:
    "

Tim Drake will surpase him in detective skills and maybe in inteligence

Grayson will surpase him in the other things

"

Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Precise

No, but he could equal him.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.