Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9479 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

Best Dick Grayson Voice Actor

vernierhawk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By vernierhawk001

Who do you guys like best? Better yet, whose voice do you automatically use in your mind when reading comics with DG in them (maybe a better measure of how iconic a given actor is)? I can think of Loren Lester, Jerry O'Connel, Neil Patrick Harris, Jesse McCartney....

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By KnightRise

In my head: Me.

Not NPH, though. He's the Flash to me.

vernierhawk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By vernierhawk001

@KnightRise said:

In my head: Me.

Not NPH, though. He's the Flash to me.

Haha....touche and well-played :)

Nightw BR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By Nightw BR

Well I'd love to play Dick Grayson one day, but I maybe never will. I think I like all the voice actors that have portrayed him so far. My list goes as follows Jesse McCartney, Neil Patrick Harris, Loren Lester, Evan Sabara, and Scott Menville tied for top and they're all good I don't think anyone is that bad or even greater than any of the others.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By TheCrowbar

Neil Patrick Harris.

LuigiBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LuigiBat

Neil Patrick Harris probably the best of the bunch, he actually makes Nightwing sound like a man and not like some teenager (as in TNBA).

When I'm reading I don't use his voice in my mind though, I can't actually remember who's voice I use only that its some actor.

Avatar image for graysonofgotham
    graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By graysonofgotham

Neil Patrick Harris.

darktiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By darktiger

@richardjohngrayson said:

Neil Patrick Harris.

agreed

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SmoothJammin

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that the man sounds like a complete puss in Young Justice Invasion? How in blazes does Tim have a deeper voice than Dick when he's likely hitting puberty already? Jesse Mcartney was enjoyable as Robin.. as Nightwing, not so much.

Nightw BR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nightw BR

Doesn't bother me at all some people have deeper voices than others and Nightwing is only 19 in Young Justice: Invasion. In my opinion Jesse has done great as Dick both as Robin and Nightwing, the only actor / character that annoys me on Young Justice is the Riddler I absolutely get annoyed by him.

sunhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sunhawk

Morgan Freeman

vernierhawk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By vernierhawk001

@Nightw BR said:

Well I'd love to play Dick Grayson one day, but I maybe never will. I think I like all the voice actors that have portrayed him so far. My list goes as follows Jesse McCartney, Neil Patrick Harris, Loren Lester, Evan Sabara, and Scott Menville tied for top and they're all good I don't think anyone is that bad or even greater than any of the others.

Awesome. Have you taken any serious steps as a voice actor? Or are you already one?

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @richardjohngrayson said:

Neil Patrick Harris.

Nightw BR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nightw BR

No, I haven't but I hope to get a chance to one day. It would be fun. I've done theatre for the past 5 years. I love to act in plays, one day it would be nice to be an actor on TV now and then. It would be something I'd love to try out one day.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Deranged Midget

Neil Patrick Harris without a doubt. And Dick's look in Under the Red Hood is also his best regarding animated appearances.

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By wessaari

NPH did a great job, and i was surprised how well Jesse is doing on Young Justice. Other than that Scott Menville was also a great voice actor

Skewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Skewer

To me it's Loren lester. I'm not saying the others are bad but Loren lester really sticks out for me and its not my nostalgia. It's because he really made the character the way he should have been, the one from young justice is a bit too much like Tim drake and Niel Patrick Harris sounded a lot younger than Loren lester did.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By SupBatz

Anyone but Scott Menville. He has a very distinct voice which is interesting in its own right. But it just DOES NOT feel like Dick Grayson to me in any way, shape, or form.

Neil Patrick Harris was definitely good. Though I just don't think of him as the definitive Dick Grayson.

Loren Lester made a good Dick Grayson as Robin. He has the definitive teen voice for Dick. But his Nightwing just felt like it was trying too hard to be serious and brooding.

Jesse McCartney is pretty good too. And I'm not bothered that he sounds more or less the same as both Robin and Nightwing.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SmoothJammin

DCU:Probably Neil Patrick Harris

DCNU:Loren Lester

Avatar image for nightwing_beyond
    Nightwing_Beyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20  Edited By Nightwing_Beyond

I grew up with Loren Lester but, I really like Jesse McCartney too. I would love to hear a Nightwing voice with just a touch more gravitas. I can see someone like Ian Somerhalder doing a good job. My dream voice for Dick Grayson would be Justin Cook who played Yusuke from Yu Yu Hakusho. He's just distinct and cocky enough to pull it off.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By JakeN7

@SmoothJammin said:

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that the man sounds like a complete puss in Young Justice Invasion? How in blazes does Tim have a deeper voice than Dick when he's likely hitting puberty already? Jesse Mcartney was enjoyable as Robin.. as Nightwing, not so much.

I agree. Jesse McCartney was fine for Dick as Robin...but 5 years later he sounds the same.

I read his voice as Loren Lester when he's Robin or Nightwing, but when he's Batman I do a deeper Loren Lester. I also think NPH did a great job in Under the Red Hood.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SmoothJammin

@JakeN7:

...Can't...unhear....Roxas..

I read his voice as Loren Lester when he's Robin or Nightwing, but when he's Batman I do a deeper Loren Lester. I also think NPH did a great job in Under the Red Hood.

My introduction to Nightwing was through TNBA, when I want to wax nostalgic and get a better feel for the character Loren Lester's voice is the one I tune my frequency to. I'll be the first to admit I'm actually a huge mulletwing fan lol. Although I loved NPH in Under the Red Hood, it's hard not to imagine him as a natural fit for Wally West.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JakeN7

@SmoothJammin said:

My introduction to Nightwing was through TNBA, when I want to wax nostalgic and get a better feel for the character Loren Lester's voice is the one I tune my frequency to. I'll be the first to admit I'm actually a huge mulletwing fan lol. Although I loved NPH in Under the Red Hood, it's hard not to imagine him as a natural fit for Wally West.

I can't put as much emphasis on ^THIS as I'd like to!

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SmoothJammin

@JakeN7: Glad we're on the same page. Bugger. It's just too bad your a Tim fan lol

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JakeN7

@SmoothJammin: Eh...I don't mind if you don't like him. He's the Robin I grew up with and I'm a huge fan of his pre-Flashpoint incarnation. His New 52 version is very disappointing to say the least. Teen Titans was immediately dropped from my pull list. I'm getting the DotF tie-ins, and any other upcoming crossovers, and that's it until a new creative team steps in (damn you Lobdell! Why did you have to use up all your talent on Red Hood and the Outlaws. You should be able to write two great books!) He's my favorite sidekick, second favorite DC character (behind Batman of course) and my 4th favorite for overall comic book characters (behind 1.Batman 2.Wolverine 3.Spiderman) Hell, one of my earliest memories was when I was like 3 I had a traumatizing experience as I watched my Tim Drake (from TNBA show) action figure fly away (tied to a balloon, long story) as I ran after it and screamed "MY BEAUTIFUL ROBIN!!!"

So yeah I'm a huge Tim Drake fan. I hope you can at least respect my opinion of him. And I will respect your opinion of him...speaking of which why don't you like him? =)

vernierhawk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By vernierhawk001

@SupBatz said:

Anyone but Scott Menville. He has a very distinct voice which is interesting in its own right. But it just DOES NOT feel like Dick Grayson to me in any way, shape, or form.

Neil Patrick Harris was definitely good. Though I just don't think of him as the definitive Dick Grayson.

Loren Lester made a good Dick Grayson as Robin. He has the definitive teen voice for Dick. But his Nightwing just felt like it was trying too hard to be serious and brooding.

Jesse McCartney is pretty good too. And I'm not bothered that he sounds more or less the same as both Robin and Nightwing.

I like your assessment of all of them....especially Menville. It makes sense.

@SmoothJammin said:

DCU:Probably Neil Patrick Harris

DCNU:Loren Lester

thumbs up

@Nightwing_Beyond said:

I grew up with Loren Lester but, I really like Jesse McCartney too. I would love to hear a Nightwing voice with just a touch more gravitas. I can see someone like Ian Somerhalder doing a good job. My dream voice for Dick Grayson would be Justin Cook who played Yusuke from Yu Yu Hakusho. He's just distinct and cocky enough to pull it off.

I immeadiately looked up Justin Cook. Somerhaldder is next...lol

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SmoothJammin

@JakeN7 said:

@SmoothJammin: Eh...I don't mind if you don't like him. He's the Robin I grew up with and I'm a huge fan of his pre-Flashpoint incarnation. His New 52 version is very disappointing to say the least. Teen Titans was immediately dropped from my pull list. I'm getting the DotF tie-ins, and any other upcoming crossovers, and that's it until a new creative team steps in (damn you Lobdell! Why did you have to use up all your talent on Red Hood and the Outlaws. You should be able to write two great books!) He's my favorite sidekick, second favorite DC character (behind Batman of course) and my 4th favorite for overall comic book characters (behind 1.Batman 2.Wolverine 3.Spiderman) Hell, one of my earliest memories was when I was like 3 I had a traumatizing experience as I watched my Tim Drake (from TNBA show) action figure fly away (tied to a balloon, long story) as I ran after it and screamed "MY BEAUTIFUL ROBIN!!!"

So yeah I'm a huge Tim Drake fan. I hope you can at least respect my opinion of him. And I will respect your opinion of him...speaking of which why don't you like him? =)

Tim's characterization is progressively inconsistent to me. He was perfectly fine before

DC decided to kill off his parents, best friends and mentor. They didn't have to turn him into a tragic hero, his plainness was what made him special in the first place dammit.(I apologize for the dammit)How can anyone relate to him and if you can you have my condolences. I was a Tim fan once too :( Alas, one too many tweaks made Robin III an intolerable character for me. Am I supposed to believe he's a genious kid who can decipher Batman and Nightwing's identity when several other inquiring minds have been trying and failing for years? His Red Robin series was surprisingly good, what I can't learn to understand is the seemingly endless supply of plot armor he was fitted with..it was as if he were Mr. Untouchable. I digress. Won't comment on his current status as I've stopped following TT sometime after reading The Culling, the art was a major eyesore for me. I reallly...reaaalllly want to like Red Robin..here's hoping Scott fleshes him out some after DOTF.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jack Donaghy

Jesse McCartney it helps that the YJ Dick Grayson is my favorite version of the character ever. I also liked Loren Lester too but there was just something about his voice that I found slightly annoying at times.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By End_Boss

I don't get the love for Neil Patrick Harris. I mean, there's nothing wrong with the guy or the schtick he usually pulls in his roles, but... He just doesn't sound like Nightwing to me. Maybe Robin. The way I see it, Nightwing should have more gravitas, a little more bite and a little less sass. His time in Bludhaven (at least to my eyes) instilled that in him. I don't know who I would choose to play Nightwing.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For pretty much everything Batman, the 90s animated series is never far from my mind, so of course I have to say Loren Lester.

@SmoothJammin said:

@JakeN7:

I too love the mullet, and I was genuinely surprised to see so much hatred for it when I first started posting on this site.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SmoothJammin

@Nathaniel_Christopher said:

For pretty much everything Batman, the 90s animated series is never far from my mind, so of course I have to say Loren Lester.

@SmoothJammin said:

@JakeN7:

I too love the mullet, and I was genuinely surprised to see so much hatred for it when I first started posting on this site.

It took me some time to adjust to people's criticisms of TNBA Nightwing too. Was feeling a little oldschool the other night so I went and hopped on YT, been watching episodes of BTAS ever since, just to remind myself how phenomenal the 90's were for me as a kid! I'm on Joker's Wild right now. I'd encourage others to do the same if they haven't watched the series in awhile. It's not 100% percent faithful to DC continuity but overall I'd say it's very well put together. Classic animation at it's finest~

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SmoothJammin said:

@SmoothJammin said:

@JakeN7:

It took me some time to adjust to people's criticisms of TNBA Nightwing too. Was feeling a little school the other night so I went and hopped on YT, been watching episodes of BTAS ever since, just to remind myself how phenomenal the 90's were for me as a kid! I'm on Joker's Wild right now. I'd encourage others to do the same if they haven't watched the series in awhile. It's not 100% percent faithful to DC continuity but overall I'd say it's very well put together. Classic animation at it's finest~

The 90's was a Golden Age for superhero cartoons. I think that if you want to get into the medium that any show from that time is a good place to start. As you said, no the stories aren't 100% faithful to the comics, but you can get a good sense of pretty much every character that appears and the relationships between each. For example, I thought that Bruce and Dick were both handled wonderfully.

I watched some over the summer and i'll take your advice and watch some more now. I really need to look into just buying all the episodes on DVD.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SmoothJammin

@SmoothJammin said:

@SmoothJammin said:

@JakeN7:

It took me some time to adjust to people's criticisms of TNBA Nightwing too. Was feeling a little school the other night so I went and hopped on YT, been watching episodes of BTAS ever since, just to remind myself how phenomenal the 90's were for me as a kid! I'm on Joker's Wild right now. I'd encourage others to do the same if they haven't watched the series in awhile. It's not 100% percent faithful to DC continuity but overall I'd say it's very well put together. Classic animation at it's finest~

The 90's was a Golden Age for superhero cartoons. I think that if you want to get into the medium that any show from that time is a good place to start. As you said, no the stories aren't 100% faithful to the comics, but you can get a good sense of pretty much every character that appears and the relationships between each. For example, I thought that Bruce and Dick were both handled wonderfully.

I watched some over the summer and i'll take your advice and watch some more now. I really need to look into just buying all the episodes on DVD.

90s television in of itself was brilliant ..the clinton years were good to my generation :)

I might see if I have the series on my amazon prime, I need to introduce my nephew to some real cartoons when he visits my place.(Too much garbage tv being exposed to kids nowadays) He refuses to wear any other pj's that aren't the Batman ones I bought him. lol. Batman Beyond, JLU and a few other goodies are on my list of shows to tackle in one shot, may as well spin it into my new years resolution.

darkwingdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34  Edited By darkwingdan

When I read a comic with Dick Grayson in it, I have Loren Lester's voice in my head. I really liked Neil Patrick Harris in Under the Red Hood, but having seen all the episodes of B:TAS multiple times, Lester's voice is just ingrained in there.

RedHood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RedHood22

@darkwingdan said:

When I read a comic with Dick Grayson in it, I have Loren Lester's voice in my head. I really liked Neil Patrick Harris in Under the Red Hood, but having seen all the episodes of B:TAS multiple times, Lester's voice is just ingrained in there.

This. Right on the money.

SuperJedi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SuperJedi17

@SmoothJammin said:

@SmoothJammin said:

@SmoothJammin said:

@JakeN7:

90s television in of itself was brilliant ..the clinton years were good to my generation :)

I might see if I have the series on my amazon prime, I need to introduce my nephew to some real cartoons when he visits my place.(Too much garbage tv being exposed to kids nowadays) He refuses to wear any other pj's that aren't the Batman ones I bought him. lol. Batman Beyond, JLU and a few other goodies are on my list of shows to tackle in one shot, may as well spin it into my new years resolution.

I know what you mean about this garbage tv.It's all teen drama's and lame cartoons,while the good ones get cancelled(YJ,GL:TAS).Here's a good metaphor for the drop in quality tv.We had All That! This gen has Incredible Crew.Somewhat similar in genre(child friendly sketch comedies) but one is obviously better than the other.

Getting on topic though,i like to read him as loren lester,but my mind always seems to forget things,so sometimes it turns into some others.

Just to Note,Injustice:Gods among us will have Nightwing voiced by the same fellow that voices lagon in young justice.I think his first name is Yuri. Anyway,yep.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JakeN7

@SuperJedi17 said:

Just to Note,Injustice:Gods among us will have Nightwing voiced by the same fellow that voices lagon in young justice.I think his first name is Yuri. Anyway,yep.

Yeah, his name is Yuri Lowenthal. His best known role would be Sasuke Uchiha from Naruto. He's also played characters such as the Prince of Persia and Ben 10. I think he's pretty talented (even though I hate Lagoon Boy) and I hope he does great as Nightwing. From what I've heard so far, he fits the role perfectly!

SuperJedi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SuperJedi17

@JakeN7 said:

@SuperJedi17 said:

Yeah, his name is Yuri Lowenthal. His best known role would be Sasuke Uchiha from Naruto. He's also played characters such as the Prince of Persia and Ben 10. I think he's pretty talented (even though I hate Lagoon Boy) and I hope he does great as Nightwing. From what I've heard so far, he fits the role perfectly!

Well my bro is a ben 10 fan(i like it a ilttel bit).And he's watched naruto(not bad,but tough to keep a track of it on toonami).But what would be a voice he'd done that would give me a good idea,or spur me towards thinking "yeah he'd be great as dick/NW"? Could you maybe show a link to a you tube video of said work/voice over?

Thanks.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JakeN7

@SuperJedi17 said:

@JakeN7 said:

@SuperJedi17 said:

Well my bro is a ben 10 fan(i like it a ilttel bit).And he's watched naruto(not bad,but tough to keep a track of it on toonami).But what would be a voice he'd done that would give me a good idea,or spur me towards thinking "yeah he'd be great as dick/NW"? Could you maybe show a link to a you tube video of said work/voice over?

Thanks.

Well this video would probably be closest to what you want. It mainly only has his anime characters though.

SuperJedi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SuperJedi17

@JakeN7 said:

@SuperJedi17 said:

@JakeN7 said:

@SuperJedi17 said:

Thanks.

Well this video would probably be closest to what you want. It mainly only has his anime characters though.

Well,they weren't particularly bad,just not what i was hoping for.But i'll have to reserve judgement until i hear him in the game.

Tohoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Tohoma

I'm actually quite fond of Joey Hood as Nightwing. I'm surprised no one has mentioned him. But my favorite voice actor would have to be Neil Patrick Harris.

SuperJedi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SuperJedi17

After hearing Yuri Lowenthal in Injustice my tops 3 are

1.Loren Lester(classic)

2.Yuri Lowenthal

3.Jesse Mccartney.

Nothing against NPH,just doesn't feel like nightwing,feels more spiderman-e.I don't know

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

1. Loren Lester

2. Jesse McCartney

3. NPH

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Alak

Loren Lester (Batman: TNAS) is my favorite followed by Jerry O'Connell (The Batman).

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alak: Hmm don't know that I've heard any of O' Connel's work. Do you know if Nightwing will have a place in Arkham Origins? Loren Lester would be a nice callback if they decide to voice Kevin Conroy for the role of Bats.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smoothjammin:

Here's one of Nightwing's scenes from The Batman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4AZHyoPn34

As for Arkham: Origins, I haven't heard any news of him being in there. Considering how it's supposed to be going back Batman's early career, I doubt he'll see Nightwing at all. The closest reference to Dick Grayson would most likely be him as Robin or maybe even as a member of the Flying Graysons.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

NPH, though I want him to be Riddler.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By RustyRoy

@joygirl said:

NPH, though I want him to be Riddler.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By JulieDC

I like evan sabera who played robin in The Batman. followed by loren lester and then jesse mccartney. I don't think I have heard of Jerry O'Connell's interpretation. The voice I imagine for comics tends to change based upon the era of comics I read. If I read anything dick grayson pre-crisis I can't help but think of Casey kasem's voice regardless of dick's age. Although sometimes I create a voice of my own if I feel the writers interpretation for the comics bares no similarity to a cartoon voiceover.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.