Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9487 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

3 ways to make Dick Grayson a tier 1 superhero

• 112 results
    vernierhawk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@vernierhawk001 said:

How about a DC Animated Universe movie (like the Judas Contract adaptation that was cancelled)

Was just thinking about this the other day after seeing the new Flashpoint movie. It's long since time the Titans at least got one, and Dick especially could use one. The Judas Contract would've been great, the entire business with Trigon even better.

Yeah...I'm sad they scrapped it. I heard they are adapting the new JL origin (N52) for the next movie folloed by two Batman movies( Son of Batman and Assault on Arkham). Guess the powers-that-be don't think tis time for Titams yet (which puzzles me considering that they just revived a version of the show)

I was also reading a @batwatch review where he was mentioning that Talon (as a book) was kind of on the rocks in terms of sales and that a crossover would do it some good. I think that a team-up between Dick and Calvin Rose would be awesome. FOr some reason I think they would get along well

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathaniel_christopher said:

@vernierhawk001 said:

How about a DC Animated Universe movie (like the Judas Contract adaptation that was cancelled)

Was just thinking about this the other day after seeing the new Flashpoint movie. It's long since time the Titans at least got one, and Dick especially could use one. The Judas Contract would've been great, the entire business with Trigon even better.

Yeah...I'm sad they scrapped it. I heard they are adapting the new JL origin (N52) for the next movie folloed by two Batman movies( Son of Batman and Assault on Arkham). Guess the powers-that-be don't think tis time for Titams yet (which puzzles me considering that they just revived a version of the show)

I was also reading a @batwatch review where he was mentioning that Talon (as a book) was kind of on the rocks in terms of sales and that a crossover would do it some good. I think that a team-up between Dick and Calvin Rose would be awesome. FOr some reason I think they would get along well

I have to be honest and say I haven't read any of the Talon series so i'm not sure. However a crossover can always benefit characters when handled properly.

I think the Judas Contract would've been right up DC's alley. An important and amazing story, that featured a variety of characters. We've seen with Crisis on Two Earths that these movies can be well written, give a decent amount of character focus to everyone, and still have a satisfying conclusion. It'd be a great way to market further characters and build their fanbases, while at the same time testing the waters to see which characters held the most interest for future products and storylines.

vernierhawk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vernierhawk001 said:

@nathaniel_christopher said:

@vernierhawk001 said:

I have to be honest and say I haven't read any of the Talon series so i'm not sure. However a crossover can always benefit characters when handled properly.

I think the Judas Contract would've been right up DC's alley. An important and amazing story, that featured a variety of characters. We've seen with Crisis on Two Earths that these movies can be well written, give a decent amount of character focus to everyone, and still have a satisfying conclusion. It'd be a great way to market further characters and build their fanbases, while at the same time testing the waters to see which characters held the most interest for future products and storylines.

Exactly. And I really don't understand the hesitancy because DC has already had major success with two different shows introducing various incarnations of the Titans (specifically Teen Titans). THe young kids who grew up watching that would have aged enough to enjoy a more adult version but would still have an idea of who the players are because of the tv show.

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Dayvid3

It's the costume

Ghost_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me I think in order to fully cross over to the A-list these things have to happen:

1. Build up his rogues gallery similar to Batman & Flash who each challenge him in unique ways.

2. Let him take on and defeat/overcome well known A-list villains and threats more often to help build up his creditability more.

3. Showcase him as the best leader in the DCU just as he was Post-Crisis that everyone in the hero community knows and trusts in addition to having a natural ability to inspire the best in others. I'd love to see him leading an adult version of The Titans or maybe the Justice League or Justice League of America. Also, whenever a major crisis takes place Nightwing should be the one leading everyone in battle (even if he doesn't come up with the plan) due to his natural leadership qualities plus being one of the best tacticians & strategists on the planet in general.

4. Display how good he is in hand to hand fighting ability and why he SHOULD be ranked in the top 5 best martial artists in the world. He was trained by Batman afterall (and was his best protege) and proved more than capable of successfully carrying the mantle of The Bat better than anyone outside of Bruce himself.

Instead of Batman vs Nightwing, I'd love to see a Nightwing vs Lady Shiva rematch to prove just this point since Shiva has made it known that Dick has a lot of potential as a fighter and seems to want to fight him anyway. So far, the only reason he's lost to Shiva is because he was too young and inexperienced at the time when they first fought/met and he just adopted Robin identity. The second time around Nightwing was injured beforehand which played a big part in his performance and why he lost according to Shiva. So, I'd love to see a proper hand to hand/melee battle between these two which could set up a great long term rivalry and help further boost him up.

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

seriously, Why are people so opposed to making nightwing Batman's equal? How does it in anyway, affect B-man? wouldn't his character be proud of such an achievement? Dick is basically his realest son (after Damian) and is actually the most successful. I reckon it'll make the character better (Johns made Aquaman tier 1 now since he can punch around with wonder woman IMO). PLUS, he has the fans already... even on Comichron, the nightwing title is one of DC's top books in terms of sales on a MONTHLY basis, that kinda indicates the financial potential this character has...

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

seriously, Why are people so opposed to making nightwing Batman's equal? How does it in anyway, affect B-man? wouldn't his character be proud of such an achievement? Dick is basically his realest son (after Damian) and is actually the most successful. I reckon it'll make the character better (Johns made Aquaman tier 1 now since he can punch around with wonder woman IMO). PLUS, he has the fans already... even on Comichron, the nightwing title is one of DC's top books in terms of sales on a MONTHLY basis, that kinda indicates the financial potential this character has...

I agree completely. What always gets me is that if nothing else the sales speak for themselves. That should tell DC how popular the character is, and that more should be done to promote and market him. The Teen Titans series was a hit, Young Justice was another one, and he was a major character in both with a sizable fanbase. I really don't understand why he hasn't been given his own movie, or been featured in a TT movie.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Dick Grayson is actually a Tier One superhero. Many people(especially the general public) still think of him as THE Robin.

JayAaerow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

He has great potential of being a true A-Lister. What's sad was that he was almost there before the reboot. All he needed was more media attention and I agree with the whole he needs to beat Batman. Or put up a better fight that doesn't come from him mouthing bruce and then getting backhanded and then him hitting the ground.

Now with the New 52.....Most of what made him cool is gone. Teen Titans, Justice League, Outsiders, etc. He isn't quite the best leader in New 52 like he was before this cause it doesn't exist anymore.

He REALLY needs a Rogue Gallery. And one that WILL STICK! And use pre-existing characters. Cause these new characters(Saiko and Paragon) just aren't good in my opinion. They come outa nowhere and they're only survived due to plot. And he stumbles with them. He also lost what little he had. Deathstroke is now going to be in Red Hood instead(-_-) and even Lady Vic is going to be a Batwing villain(Despite her initial appearance in HIS title back in 1999). The only good Rogue Gallery member he has are Lady Shiva and Prankster. Lady Shiva seems like a interestingly new concept for him. I hope she appears and we don't have just one sided fights like 13 and 14. Honestly, him getting schooled cause of cracked ribs and played by penguin was embarassing. With Prankster, he's new and doesn't come outa nowhere and able to Challenge the 2nd to the dark knight himself physically and be on par. He seems like a villain he must outsmart if anything. In any case, he needs way more A-List Villains and not these random characters who can all of a sudden go on par with him.

He also needs more friends. Joey is like his only friend. And Mike. Everyone else is either Batfamily or just plain horrible(Roy and Starfire......). Funny how he and Jason Todd somewhat switched places. Now he's all of sudden close to Tim and has 2 Great friends of Nightwing? And then there's the part where both Wally and Donna Troy are no longer canon to New 52. And he's not in a team book(Though it's hinted he will be in the JLI)!

And yes, he really needs a media portrayal! His own series and not be limited to being part of a cast like teen titans or make guest appearances. I haven no idea why they still haven't done so. Many fans are making webseries on youtube cause he's that popular! Yet, they had no problem thinking of a show with Green Arrow? I never thought he was popular enough IMO and that was a major surprise when it came out successful.

Really, all his problems as being used to his fullest potential is limited by DC, who seem to not wanna allow him to do anything that makes him look better then his mentor overall. It strikes me how many fans of Nightwing have been pushing for this. The endless threads and fourms about this very thing and yet, it's still so slowgoing. And last time when he was almost there, the reboot screwed him over. But then you read RHATO and they seem to have no problems giving Jason Todd his qualities as a character(Leadership role, his friends, relationships with Tim, etc. Made a thread about this.)

It's amazing though that he's still here and actually is one of New 52's best selling titles and DC wanted to kill him off in the Infinity Crisis. And ever since Dan Didio and DC was told no by other writers, this happened,.......hmm.....coincidence? *Raises eyebrow*

There must be a conspiracy here XD

mkukie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree Nightwing can be big, he is so acrobatic and fast. Maybe Dick should travel the world gorilla style for a few years and learn some new tricks, but lets face it I don't think Nightwing could ever land a decent punch on Batman but Nighwing should at least be able to stand his ground instead of gettin pimp slapped so blatantly.

mkukie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reignmaker: Wow.... Well said. I wish there was a way to get this out to DC and have fans sign off on this.

Kyle Higgins (IMO) is probably the best writer for Nightwing. He loves the character and only wants the best for him. Dan Didio just needs to let Kyle run Nightwing as he pleases

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.