Follow

Defenders

Team » Defenders appears in 793 issues.

The Defenders are a super-group in the Marvel Universe usually led by Doctor Strange. The team that wasn't a team, often fights against supernatural and magic-based opponents. Protecting humanity from the impossible!

Defenders today

milleniumcyke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By milleniumcyke

Why do you think the Defenders have been unsuccessful in making a title run the last several tries? What made it so great back in the day and why can't that feat be reproduced? I think writers like to stick with the big four too much. It was the sometimes quirky, off-beat writing and stories, the characterization, and rotating cast that made the Defenders great. The Last Defenders mini had potential, but as it progressed it was drenched with references to the original series from 30 years ago and had a time travel story that made heads hurt. What are your thoughts?
    Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Malevolent1

*Sigh*

I know this is an old post. But, seeing as I've been re-reading a lot of my old stuff (Fantastic Four and old 70's Defenders), I found myself getting a little nostalgic. I think you asked the key question: How do writer's reproduce that excitement that was simply contagious in the old stuff? Well, part of it, is these were still fairly new, unexplored characters. In terms of painting the "Marvel storytelling canvas", there was so much that was yet unexplored. It seems writer's have relegated themselves to "event driven" arcs. And maybe that is the result of today's mentality. People want something quick as opposed to the long drawn out storytelling and time spent on developing characters and the relationships with the universe around them. The latest event driven debacle, AVX? Mmmmm....I mean, there was so much wrong with how they portrayed some of the characters, not to mention in some spots, the comic actually read like something off Marvel wiki...it was weird.

I will say, that my concerns were mirrored by some in those early books that contained: Dr. Strange, Hulk, Namor, The Silver Surfer and Valkyrie. Pretty much, the most powerful super team ever assembled (save for the Annihilators). I think it was good that they moved to a rotating roster of these characters. Strange and Surfer should never be part of a super team because of their level of power. Guest appearances? Sure, particularly when they are faced with Korvac or Dormammu or someone in that league.

I actually like the "drenching" with comic continuity which is all but gone at Marvel, I actually miss that. There was quality control. Now? Pffft, anything goes!

My suggestion for Defenders?

1) The old Defenders was an assemblage of characters that were outcasts, distrusted, feared or outright hated. I think if one is interested in keeping that theme alive, the roster should include appearances by many of the old members, five already mentioned. Others should include Ghost Rider, Nighthawk, Hellcat, Son of Satan, etc...and more recently, a rotating roster included: Darkhawk, Dr. Druid, Thunderstrike, Nomad and Ice-Man. However, again, keep the heavies down to no more than one, maybe two on any given roster at a time, otherwise the credibility of the villain could be strained.

2) Defenders stories were some of the strangest at Marvel at the time. I loved that about the early books.

3) The early core members often struggled to find cohesiveness of any sort because of such a difference in each character's personality and personal direction. Surfer didn't want to be there half the time because he was tired of humans who couldn't seem to escape their own barbarism; Hulk hated everyone, except the Surfer. I loved the "Stupid magician!". Namor was always insolent and arrogant and could make any endeavor all the more difficult. Yet, they found themselves united against a common threat when they needed it most. Strange, although supremely powerful, seemed to question his leadership skills more often than not. I loved those elements in the early books. Not sure why it wouldn't work now(?).

Just my two cents.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.