Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3332 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

Where are the voices?

Avatar image for antarktischer_ureinwohner
    Antarktischer_Ureinwohner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was really excited about the new start of the Deadpool series with Marvel Now! and couldn't wait to finaly see what a new Deadpool will look and feel like. Well now that I read it I can say that it's really good, it's funny, has action and nearly everything I love about the merc with a mouth.... except for his imaginary voices. A big downer in my eyes. I really grew to love those guys and although it is now a new run and I know things change, I wish them back. Please, please give me back my beloved imaginary friends!

What do you guys think? Are you happy with how it is now or do you too feel like you've lost two old friends?

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By The Lobster
    @Antarktischer_Ureinwohner said:

I was really excited about the new start of the Deadpool series with Marvel Now! and couldn't wait to finaly see what a new Deadpool will look and feel like. Well now that I read it I can say that it's really good, it's funny, has action and nearly everything I love about the merc with a mouth.... except for his imaginary voices. A big downer in my eyes. I really grew to love those guys and although it is now a new run and I know things change, I wish them back. Please, please give me back my beloved imaginary friends!

What do you guys think? Are you happy with how it is now or do you too feel like you've lost two old friends?

I'm SOOOOOOO Glad they're gone.

I never liked them. What was interesting to me about Deadpool before Daniel Way gave him the voices with no explanation how he got them, was that Deadpool seemed like misplaced insanity. People would think he was insane but in actuality he was just confused or didn't know better. Sure locking blind old ladies in a dark room with sharp objects isn't the act of a model citizen and may be perceived as crazy but I got the feeling that Deadpool just didn't know better. After he figured out it was a bad thing and not the right way to solve his problems he stopped doing it. That to me shows he wasn't insane, just misunderstood. An insane person wouldn't stop doing something if he knew it was bad, he'd keep doing it.

Deadpool ADHD added with his fourth wall awareness, makes others think he is insane...but he wasn't. That's what I loved about him. He was the outsider not BECAUSE he was crazy, but because society thought he was. If someone came up to you and said "The whole world is a comic book", you'd think they were crazy.....but what if he was right? Would you think they were crazy still?

*sigh*.....Then Daniel Way came along, and Deadpool was given the voices in his head with no explanation how he got them other than, "Oh look at Deadpool, he soo crazy." 

The voices to me just didn't fit. The only person I know who made the voices work was Duane Schwierznkisi (I can't spell his name). He wrote it so that the white box was the writer talking to Deadpool, and the yellow was Deadpool's internal monologue. I wouldn't mind the voices, if every writer wrote it like that but that's not the case. So I'd rather them just be gone with. Do I miss them? Not really.

Plus they kinda subtracted from the whole.....Merc with a mouth......kinda thing. How is he the merc with the mouth if all his jokes are inside his head?
    Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#3  Edited By Joygirl

In his pants.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@The Lobster : I see it like this. Since Deadpool's cells are constantly dying and regrowing, in league with the torture he went through, it causes mental instability in random levels. Sometimes he's somewhat normal if not a little manic and other times he's just plain coo coo for Cocoa Puffs.

I don't MIND the boxes. If no one else is around in the comic they allow for comedic writing since he CAN carry on a conversation with himself basically.

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The Lobster
    @Smart_Dork_Dude: That's a decent explanation, but I still don't like them. I shouldn't have to make up some kind of excuse in order to make up for Daniel Way's lack of explanation.

Maybe I'd have liked them more if there was an explanation behind them. That's what makes me furious. Daniel Way just decided to give him voices so Deadpool wouldn't need a colorful cast of characters to bounce off of.....(Which is stupid because Deadpool has some of the best side characters ever, Blind Al and Weasel are just great characters)....go back and read some of his interviews. He makes it clear that he gave him voices so the book wouldn't become "Deadpool and Friends". Fine, go ahead and do that but at least EXPLAIN how he got them. Don't just throw them in and say "They're there because he's crazy." Bull, that's just being lazy and uncreative, not to mention it undermines what previous fans of the character liked....his motormouth.

Imagine it like this. Imagine if a writer decided to say....."you know, Wolverine is too violent and he's alienating the child audiences we have.....hurm....I think I'll take away his claws." Then you read the first issue of this writers series and Wolverine suddenly has no claws and instead just fights with his fist. No explanation how he lost them, no continuity, just no more claws anymore. People would throw a hissy fit and crucify this writer. Should Daniel Way get a get out of continuity free card just because he can use the excuse that Deadpool is crazy.....which he's really not as I've explained above..... 

Daniel Way got away with this for one reason, and one reason only. Nobody knew it happened. 

Before Way's series Deadpool had a small following of fans. Nothing big. Marvel gave Daniel Way the Deadpool series as a way to introduce new readers to this character because interest was piked because of Ryan Reynolds playing him in the Origins movie. It was successful and now Deadpool is a big-shot......No body knows any better because all they've read is Daniel Way's series and nothing that came before. Which is just sad because Joe Kelly's Deadpool run is some of the greatest stuff I've ever read, and Cable and Deadpool wasn't too shabby either. To them, the voices have always been there....when really they haven't. They just popped in out of nowhere. I've heard people criticize Uncanny X-force because Rick Remender doesn't writer Deadpool with the voices.....WHAT?!!!!!! You scream lack of continuity for that, but not for the lack of continuity that Daniel Way did? That's ridiculous! Oh so it's okay to create something with no explanation, but don't take it away with no explanation....ugh.....

Okay, I'm done ranting.
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@The Lobster : That's a fair complaint. I like Deadpool, I really do. Did I like him BEFORE Origins? Certainly! The only reason I don't outright HATE Way's Deadpool is because I just tell myself the way Wade is the way he is, is because of the cellular decay and regeneration. Would I have liked an explanation of the voices and why the yellow thought box was suddenly another personality? Sure! But I don't subscribe to the idea of it being just because he's crazy either. Is he unstable? Sure, but being unstable isn't exactly the same as being crazy as it means you're prone to psychiatric problems or sudden changes of mood. In fact he would NEED to be at least somewhat unstable given his back story anyway, healing factor causing it or not.

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The Lobster
    @Smart_Dork_Dude: I understand that completely. I wasn't trying to push my opinions onto you either, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If you like Daniel Way's stuff, fine I won't think lesser of your for liking it. Everyone has different tastes, just some people are better at explaining their taste than others. I personally can't stand Daniel Way's run, it's not the worse Deadpool stuff I've read but it's far from the best.

More or less those previous posts were just me ranting about how the Deadpool of old has just disappeared and how I'd do anything in order to get that character back. Which is a shame because in my opinion the Deadpool of old was a much more interesting character so It's kind of like Deadpool has taken a step backwards for me.

I just can't stand it. I feel like an old man saying "Oh you kids have no idea the great stuff we had and probably never will......Back in my day, Deadpool was a complex and kind of disturbing character not this crazy but loveable goofball." 

Oh well....it's like the song goes, the times they are a changin'.
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@The Lobster : I feel the same way about the current direction of Shazam. In all honesty the only reason I can read those back ups is to tell myself this version is just an Elseworlds and not in the main DCU. If I think that way it's actually very enjoyable for me, but if they get eventually get Billy Batson right I'd be willing to accept what came before that point. Maybe.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By InnerVenom123

Way invented them so he wouldn't have to give Deadpool a supporting cast.

They'll probably show up in Thunderbolts, since Way is writing Deadpool there.

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The Lobster
    @InnerVenom123 said:

Way invented them so he wouldn't have to give Deadpool a supporting cast.

They'll probably show up in Thunderbolts, since Way is writing Deadpool there.

I'm not sure.....with 4 other characters to use giving the voices might be overkill unless the issue focuses squarely on Deadpool. 

From what I've been told, Brian and Gerry do plan on using the voices, but they plan on giving a reason behind why they're there which might tie into the ending of the first issue somehow or with the ghost of Ben Franklin who is supposed to appear in issue 2. I don't know if it's true or not, and while I'd rather they not be there, If they do have to use them at least their will be an explanation behind it.
    Zero_Shift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zero_Shift

Immensely happy the voices are gone. Above all else I hated them because they were a tool to allow lazy writing. With the voices Way could just chuck out jokes in Wade's head without having to worry about context or relevance to events happening at the time. Just another one of many things Way did to turned a legitimately interesting and deep character into a walking punchline.

I'm not so sure the David Caruso one-liners are much better that the voices though.

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By slade_wilson

I'm sooooo happy they're gone! Deadpool has the ability to be funny without being shown as a complete basket case. This awesome first book has proven that.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By z3ro180

@The Lobster : how did he get his healing factor back ?

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The Lobster
    @Z3RO180 said:

@The Lobster : how did he get his healing factor back ?

The serum that took away his healing factor wore off. 

I'm not joking, that's how Daniel Way chose to end it. Can somebody say, anti-climatic? 

I'm sure Thanos' curse is there to some affect as well but that's just me connecting dots that don't exist in hopes to make some sort of rational explanation.
    z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By z3ro180

@The Lobster : well since its deadpool ill say it makes sence.

Brit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Brit

the thing i love the most about Way's run is Wade's schizophrenic voices. it's a good thing Duggan & Posehn stayed true to his insanity. he may not have the voices now but he still keeps rambling about noncoherent stuffs - which as always are pretty effin' hilarous... but poetic licenses aside, i wish they would incorporate the voices again..

Croi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Croi

Damn, couldn't be happier that they're gone. Found it interestin' to say the least at first, then they just got tiring because they took away from his projectin' ability to make you laugh your pants off instead of an internal stand-up act. The voices made me stop buyin' the book.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Loki9876

I didn't really like the voices so I'm glad.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#19  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

@Joygirl said:

In his pants.

windew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By windew

I'm not sure how I feel about the voices being gone. It doesn't make much of a difference to me.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those thing arent voices,are him talking as narrator and mind voice.

Yo know, most of character use those thing, what happens is that Deapool knows he is in a comic, so he play with the damn thing, but thank god those thing are gone.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those thing arent voices,are him talking as narrator and mind voice.

Yo know, most of character use those thing, what happens is that Deapool knows he is in a comic, so he play with the damn thing, but thank god those thing are gone.

Joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Joeybagad0nutz

Can we have Rick Remender just write deadpool character instead of Way? Please? Fck Way. Remender actually showed growth with Deadpool.

Rader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wtf is wrong with you people the voices were awesome! Especially the white box that whole madcap thing was fucking bullshit I say bring them back

Robert2928

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whether he has voices or not is irrelevant so long as Deadpool has funny jokes and stays somewhat true to the character. Everyone's interpretation of Deadpool is going to vary and that's not a bad thing. Deadpool is a unique character and I believe Wade can be entertaining whether he is talking to himself or other characters

Hitmanspike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whether he has voices or not is irrelevant so long as Deadpool has funny jokes and stays somewhat true to the character. Everyone's interpretation of Deadpool is going to vary and that's not a bad thing. Deadpool is a unique character and I believe Wade can be entertaining whether he is talking to himself or other characters

Second that!

Avatar image for diegodayspringsegovia
    DiegoDayspringSegovia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rader said:

wtf is wrong with you people the voices were awesome! Especially the white box that whole madcap thing was fucking bullshit I say bring them back

SO TRUE! Deadpool's inner voices are AWESOME. I liked that Daniel Way found some method of showing what's actually happening behind Deadpool's quips, and non-stop rambling.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.