Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3316 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

Thoughts on current Deadpool (2015-) run? *spoilers. duh!*

Robert2928

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I figured since the movie was coming out this year that Deadpool comics would "jump the shark" for a bit. Usually I buy single issues every Wednesday but from what I was seeing on the Marvel Comics App previews I just wasn't impressed enough to drive to my local comic book store. I kept seeing stuff about Mercs for Money (Along with multicolored Deadpool Pop! Figures) and then Deadpool 2099 so I kept my distance and my money

I seen the collected editions on Amazon and figured I'd give the books a shot...what a mistake. I thought the whole Mercs for Money was like a spin off title and not in the main book but boy was I wrong. Marvel was really shoving them in people's faces. Seems like a shameless cash grab by Marvel to me to reskin and sale Deadpool Pop! figures to me. Does anybody here actually like the Mercs for Money?

Next is the whole "Deadpool 2099" stuff which seems like another spinoff series? I'm just lost as to why it's being printed in the main book? I mean the retro bits in the previous run (like the Heroes for HIre stuff) actually made sense and tied to the main plot? Like providing some character development for Deadpool and establishing that he was around during those times despite being created in 1991? So getting a glimpse into Wade's life in the 70's makes sense (a trend which has continued in "Deadpool's secret secret was", "Deadpool: Back in Black", etc.) but the 2099 stuff? Not so much. Especially since there are now 2 additional versions of a female Deadpool making 4 in total [Lady Deadpool, Gwenpool, Deadpool 2099 (red suit), the other Deadpool 2099 (white suit)] Marvel we get it. Women are "strong, independent and don't need no man to save them."

Honestly why is Wade Wilson reduced to the supporting cast in his solo series? I can understand in team books where Deadpool isn't the main focus like in Cable and Deadpool, X-Force, etc. but this is his solo series...*sigh* Truth be told Deadpool seems to be going through a bit of an identity crisis due to the sudden boom in his popularity possibly due to the movie being overall well received be the general moviegoer audience? I mean I went to the Spirit Halloween Store and Deadpool had his own section...an entire section dedicated to Deadpool alone. That's crazy. At this point It's fairly obvious that the writers don't know what to do with the character and are in the process of just throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks. The only thing that has the tone of a Deadpool book so far has been the whole "Deadpool vs Sabertooth" and the rest has been filler.

Is anyone else on the Deadpool forums following this run or is it just me?

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

I figured since the movie was coming out this year that Deadpool comics would "jump the shark" for a bit. Usually I buy single issues every Wednesday but from what I was seeing on the Marvel Comics App previews I just wasn't impressed enough to drive to my local comic book store. I kept seeing stuff about Mercs for Money (Along with multicolored Deadpool Pop! Figures) and then Deadpool 2099 so I kept my distance and my money

I seen the collected editions on Amazon and figured I'd give the books a shot...what a mistake. I thought the whole Mercs for Money was like a spin off title and not in the main book but boy was I wrong. Marvel was really shoving them in people's faces. Seems like a shameless cash grab by Marvel to me to reskin and sale Deadpool Pop! figures to me. Does anybody here actually like the Mercs for Money? Yes, and they are a joke about marvels franchise politics such as reusing names for characters that have nothing to do with the original hence why they are named heroes for hire initially, the absurd amount of Deadpool books telling to many stories for just one Deadpool and those definitive totally permannte status quo changes, that are absolutely gonna be permanent marvel likes to throw out. Compared to the Deadpool squad these guys have much more personality, too.

Next is the whole "Deadpool 2099" stuff which seems like another spinoff series? I'm just lost as to why it's being printed in the main book? I mean the retro bits in the previous run (like the Heroes for HIre stuff) actually made sense and tied to the main plot? Like providing some character development for Deadpool and establishing that he was around during those times despite being created in 1991? So getting a glimpse into Wade's life in the 70's makes sense (a trend which has continued in "Deadpool's secret secret was", "Deadpool: Back in Black", etc.) but the 2099 stuff? Not so much. Especially since there are now 2 additional versions of a female Deadpool making 4 in total [Lady Deadpool, Gwenpool, Deadpool 2099 (red suit), the other Deadpool 2099 (white suit)] Marvel we get it. Women are "strong, independent and don't need no man to save them." Evidently you don't its making fun of the replacement policies. Hence why we have an ninety-year-old black women and a character that claims to hate Deadpool and be much better than him still calling herself Deadpool. Also setting up the conflict with Shiklah and will probably end with old Deadpool unceremousl becoming Deadpool again and essentially lampshading how those future scenarios are never gonna happen in the main continuity anyways.

Honestly why is Wade Wilson reduced to the supporting cast in his solo series? I can understand in team books where Deadpool isn't the main focus like in Cable and Deadpool, X-Force, etc. but this is his solo series...*sigh* Truth be told Deadpool seems to be going through a bit of an identity crisis due to the sudden boom in his popularity possibly due to the movie being overall well received be the general moviegoer audience? I mean I went to the Spirit Halloween Store and Deadpool had his own section...an entire section dedicated to Deadpool alone. No, Deadpool comics were already selling crazy well before that and this run started before the movie was out. the movie just made general audiences even more crazy about him. That's crazy. At this point It's fairly obvious that the writers don't know what to do with the character and are in the process of just throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks. The only thing that has the tone of a Deadpool book so far has been the whole "Deadpool vs Sabertooth" and the rest has been filler.

Is anyone else on the Deadpool forums following this run or is it just me?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.