Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3322 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

Never realized Deadpool was suppose to be "retarded"...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fairytail123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fairytail123

I haven't read all of his comics but I've read quite a few. I never thought he was retarded, just that he is eccentric, likes messing around and slightly mentally unbalanced. I thought he is quite smart even in Daniel way's run. Doesn't he know several languages? There's no way a retarded person can do what he does. I am not saying he is a genius. However, I keep seeing people saying he is retarded and that iron man said he is 'legally retarded" and he is getting checks from the government for it? I mean I can understand him getting paychecks for being mentally unbalance but for being retarded? Doesn't make too much sense to me...

Crackdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Can you, not say "retarded"

unintelligent would suffice just fine.

Deadpool is of great intelligence. He is no genius, but he is a capable warrior and person. He usually has no mind for strategy, as his healing factor negates the need for stealth, but he is still a tactician. He may know several languages, learning them along the way in his assassination work

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hes not

Avatar image for twix_right_side
    Twix_Right_Side

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Twix_Right_Side

1. I know you probably didn't mean it this way,but just don't say "retarded" in the future. It's looked down upon.

2. He's not really "retarded" or dumb in any sense. Yes,he knows several languages,and some writers write him horribly and make him seem like he's an inadequate joke character. He's highly underrated for his intelligence,mainly because of how some writers portray him (and most people that don't know about him just base him off of TV shows,games,etc). And in fact,he uses his mouth as a tactical advantage in combat (like what Spider man does).

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

This is pretty offensive.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

fairytail123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fairytail123
    @twix_right_side said:

1. I know you probably didn't mean it this way,but just don't say "retarded" in the future. It's looked down upon.

2. He's not really "retarded" or dumb in any sense. Yes,he knows several languages,and some writers write him horribly and make him seem like he's an inadequate joke character. He's highly underrated for his intelligence,mainly because of how some writers portray him (and most people that don't know about him just base him off of TV shows,games,etc). And in fact,he uses his mouth as a tactical advantage in combat (like what Spider man does).

I edited the title...,maybe a quotation will make it more clear to people

that the only reason I used "retarded" it's because apparently in CANON Iron man said he was!

Of course I know it's an offensive word but I think in this context it's perfectly fine. But thank you twix_right_side for being the only one who at least bother to read my post properly to a certain extend...

I only used the word "retarded" because people say in the comics Iron man said he is "legally retarded". I made it very clear that I thought he was smart! So are u guys offend because you think I am looking down on the mentally disabled (let me assure u, I am not. I have family member that is mentally disabled) or that I am looking down on deadpool ( I thought my post made it clear that I like him...)?

Anyway... Can someone tell me; Why did iron man said deadpool is "legally retarded?" and Is it true? Also how do you feel about this statement by iron man about deadpool?

Avatar image for twix_right_side
    Twix_Right_Side

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twix_right_side said:

I edited the title...,maybe a quotation will make it more clear to people

that the only reason I used "retarded" it's because apparently in CANON Iron man said he was!

Of course I know it's an offensive word but I think in this context it's perfectly fine. But thank you twix_right_side for being the only one who at least bother to read my post properly to a certain extend...

I only used the word "retarded" because people say in the comics Iron man said he is "legally retarded". I made it very clear that I thought he was smart! So are u guys offend because you think I am looking down on the mentally disabled (let me assure u, I am not. I have family member that is mentally disabled) or that I am looking down on deadpool ( I thought my post made it clear that I like him...)?

Anyway... Can someone tell me; Why did iron man said deadpool is "legally retarded?" and Is it true? Also how do you feel about this statement by iron man about deadpool?

It depends on the context. Do you remember the scan? It depends because Iron Man may have been lying,he may have been mistaken,etc. I don't think that Deadpool has ever been mentioned to be legally retarded,so I wonder if it was even canon,or if it was an alternate universe story.

fairytail123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on the context. Do you remember the scan? It depends because Iron Man may have been lying,he may have been mistaken,etc. I don't think that Deadpool has ever been mentioned to be legally retarded,so I wonder if it was even canon,or if it was an alternate universe story.

Thanks. I only saw people mentioned it a few times in forums, that's why I wanted to ask if it was real?

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's insane not retarted.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Insane... yes

Retarded... no

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 2

Ugh......I hate that word.... I support swearing, and personally feel that people shouldn't be offended by those words and that the freedom to say swears words should be more emphasized (specially in the media).....but I can't stand words that are meant to be derogatory to a minority. If I had my way, words like "S#!t" and "F@*k" should be used anywhere at any time without punishment, but words like "retarded" should be banned or get the kibosh completely. Not this vise-verse thing we seem to be going through, where "retarded" can make it into a PG-13 movie but dropping an F-bomb grants it an automatic R depending on it's usage.

Sorry, mild little rant there....

But to answer you question, no he's not "retarded" and I'd love to see the scan of Iron Man saying that cause I'd love to chastise whatever writer wrote Tony Stark like that. I wouldn't even say Deadpool is insane, he's perfectly logical and has a somewhat decent grip on reality. Not to mention he learns from his mistakes, where truly insane people pass the blame of their own failings onto other people.

Deadpool's not "retarded" or "insane", he's just not normal according to societies' standards of normality.

Raktus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have said Brain Damaged, not retarded. I mean, there is some evidence for it there. His healing factor kicked in after his heart was removed, the 'insanity' started at that point as well. What if his brain, starved of blood, was damaged just enough to create the personality we recognize as the character today?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Yeah, don't use the word retarded, it's pretty damn offensive and uncalled for. I'd agree with @raktus, Deadpool is brain damaged if anything. You can get government checks for a wide variety of things, especially mental disorders or such, many of them not even "that" severe (relatively, I mean).

Seriously, we need a scan of this.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@raktus: He's insane due to the healing factor keeps regenerating bits of his brain due to cancer.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.