Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3332 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

Deadpool Movie, should it be rated R or PG-13?

• 78 results
    evodmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By evodmasters

I created this thread just to see what you think the movie should be rated. To get mine out of the way, I vote for an R rating. I do not believe that Fox can get everything that is Deadpool with PG-13's limitations. What is your vote and reasoning?

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

I'm good with any rating as long as the movie is everything we fans have ever wanted for a Deadpool movie.

RoosterCogburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RoosterCogburn

R. but that wont be because they wont make as much money off it.
    so i guess its going to be pg13

SladeRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SladeRogers

R defintely R. It's Deadpool.
    OldManDuncan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By OldManDuncan

For the love of God make this R.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Magian

The ideal would be an R rated Deadpool but because of marketing it will probably be PG-13.

Avatar image for abnormally_warm_guy
    Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

That depends.  

Do you want the movie to be as good as it can be? Then you want R (not going to happen though. Not with Punisher's grossing numbers.) 

Or do you want it to be a franchise? With lots of cool (but not as cool) movies? Then you want PG 13. So it will make money because parents and teens will go see it. 

I frankly don't care if it is a franchise. But I'm not putting my money into it sooo....
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Amegashita

It should be PG-BH, Probably Gonna Be Horrible.

Okay, I'm kidding.  R.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

R = Fail, i know people loves the R.
    Pg13 = Fail, but still with a big chance of not being a fail.
    Also most of people belive the story have something to do with the rating, and is not the story, is about some bizzarre things, Kick Ass is and R rated movie, for the "bad words" not for the violence, Watchmen was for the fact you se nongay sex on screen, yes gay sex is pg13, i dont know why, also the fact they never have the get out of bed after sex scene, they have sex on the ship, that is also a r rated thing, actually i knew a guy that once tell me, how the R Rating works, blood and violence are not big part of the R Rating system.
    R rated movies are R rated for the most bizzare reasons, you could think.

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By The Lobster

I'm good with both, personally I think being R rated isn't necessary for any movie. You can still make a violent mature movie PG13 style. 

Anyone who doesn't believe me should watch this movie.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Lobster said:
    "I'm good with both, personally I think being R rated isn't necessary for any movie. You can still make a violent mature movie PG13 style. 

Anyone who doesn't believe me should watch this movie. "

Yeah, i think people overrated R rating thing, i mean many movies are R rating for the worst reason you could think.
    -chapel-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By -chapel-

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! 

ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13  Edited By ShirEPanjshir

There are lots of good movies around that contain violence etc. but still are rated PG13.
    An R rating isn't necessary for me. Plus PG13 would make more sense, since they'll make more money off of it, and we all know what FOX likes the most!

Avatar image for the_ace_of_knaves
    the ace of knaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DeathpooltheT1000: what do you mean R=fail PG-13=fail? Deadpool can appeal to an audience outside of comics. 

And no Kick Ass wasn't rated R for the cursing... it was because of the violence. People being exploded in an industrial microwave... a guy being crush in a car compactor... a room full of drug dealers getting sliced to pieces with a sword... big daddy stabbing people in the throat... if Kick Ass was pg-13... wave good bye to all that violent awesomeness.

It annoys me when people say ratings don't make the movies. Tell me this... would Die Hard be the same movie if it was pg-13? no. Would Terminator? No. Would Aliens? No. Would Dusk till Dawn? No. 

The key here is how big the budget is. If they keep it relatively small, around the 50 million mark, it will be rated r. Less financial risk, less reason to aim it at a large audience. And seeing as they want Robert Rodriguez as director, i think its safe to say they want it to be quite a small budget, more of a cult hit film, not a summer blockbuster.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By 123422

As long as they make the action crazy & violent a la Kick-Ass & Expendables, i don't mind about the ratings

rogue_mar1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By rogue_mar1e
    @SladeRogers said:
    "R defintely R. It's Deadpool. "
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Gambit1024

It should be R, but they'll make it PG-13... 

While we're on the subject of ratings, Wolverine and Daredevil should've been R as well... 

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By roadbuster
    @evodmasters said:

" I created this thread just to see what you think the movie should be rated. To get mine out of the way, I vote for an R rating. I do not believe that Fox can get everything that is Deadpool with PG-13's limitations. What is your vote and reasoning? "

While Deadpool's early 90s roots and contemporary update are seeped in hyper-violence, the transition period where Deadpool's popularity base actually solidified (and where Wade went from purely psychotic killer with immature wise cracks to an actual character) was the late 90s works by Joe Kelly and the relaunch by Gail Simone.  If you actually look at those stories they're not hard to pull off with a hard PG-13 since the emphasis was on humor and heavily stylized action-movie violence.  When he's an unkillable bloodless zombie, he falls closer to the Looney Toons end of the spectrum than graphic violence against a teenager, especially when that violence is played for laughs. 

Heck, Deadpool v. Bullseye was basically Mr. & Mrs. Smith (PG-13) with meat-armor and monster trucks.

An R rating is unnecessary to tell an entertaining Deadpool story. 

Another to consider it... think about your most memorable Deadpool moments and ask yourself whether and an R rating is necessary to execute it.  To you help you out, here's a blog that documents the Top 70 of the author's favorite Deadpool moments: 
    http://www.4thletter.net/2009/04/the-top-70-deadpool-moments-day-1-stranded-in-the-combat-zone/
    the ace of knaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mainline:  I don't know how you can say Deadpool vs Bullseye arc was pg13. The scene where he sticks that butchers knife in the guys skull eliminates it from pg13 straight alone.

Deadpool, the character, is an assassin/mercenary. Add that to him having a healing factor that can regrow whole limbs... making it pg13 is watering the character down. If the movie is pg13 you won't be seeing him get an arm chopped off and it regrowing. Well you could, but it'd look lame because there would be no blood.
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By roadbuster
    @the ace of knaves said:

" @Mainline:  I don't know how you can say Deadpool vs Bullseye arc was pg13. The scene where he sticks that butchers knife in the guys skull eliminates it from pg13 straight alone.  Deadpool, the character, is an assassin/mercenary. Add that to him having a healing factor that can regrow whole limbs... making it pg13 is watering the character down. If the movie is pg13 you won't be seeing him get an arm chopped off and it regrowing. Well you could, but it'd look lame because there would be no blood. "

1. Star Wars The Clone Wars is PG and there were people impaled on-screen.  Decapitation, loss of limbs, etc. are all regular features of that series and the films.  With PG-13 you can get even more graphic and suggestive and, frankly, you don't gain much at all by showing verses implying. 
    2. Boba Fett, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, every PG-13 action hero and their third cousin... is an assassin/mercenary... what's your point? 
    3. Quite the reverse... it's because he can lose the limbs and regrow them they can show it... heck, that happened in X-Men 3.  Wolverine was allowed to be especially aggressive to a mutant who's limbs grew back... nonetheless that PG-13 film allowed him to jab bone spikes into people's faces, stab, cut, and get all the action one desires. 

Bottom line, artful PG-13 will get you any an every action beat you've ever seen in a Deadpool comic, all R provides is gore and there's few- if any- memorable Deadpool moments requiring gore.  I think you misjudge what PG-13 is today... many films have been rerated... things like Spawn (1997) which released with an R are PG-13 today. 

Put it this way, what Deadpool defining moment... something that captures who and what Deadpool is to you- and you think everyone else- that requires and R rating to be communicated on screen?
    fACEmelter88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By fACEmelter88

I don't care as long as it's made but I really think if it was R it would just be more violent than PG-13 because he really isn't much of an f-bomb dropper or anything like that but honestly a PG-13 movie would probably work better so there is a better chance of it being "Deadpooly." Anyway the current Deadpool is more of a joke than what he once was. Back during his first mini-series and first volume (#1-#69) he was the goofy, schizophrenic mercenary he is now but he actually had serious and semi-serious stories and issues, c'mon "Agent of Weapon X," dealing with T-Ray, not sure about his past, his healing factor not working, struggling with his moral compass, dealing with memories of being all scarred and tortured then crazier then a mercenary  (EXAMPLE:kid deadpool) but one of the better story arcs that is goofy and serious is Dead Reckoning along with his his other dealings with Landau, Luckman and Lake.

BEST VILLAIN FOR A DEADPOOL MOVIE IS AJAX (tormented one another in the facility then lots of good fights.) T-Ray would be good too.

the ace of knaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mainline: Deadpool, for me, is a tragic guy. A big part of the tragedy that is Deadpools life is his origin. Being experiemented on and disected every single day by Dr Killbrewe helped send him over the edge, it needs to be shown. I'm not talking just hearing him scream and all that, what you'd find in a pg-13 movie. I'm talking some gruesome scene showing the guy being torn apart and treated like a piece of meat, his body being taken advantage of because of his healing factor. We need to see the horror this guy goes through in every detail, it needs to be shocking. Plus the actual dead pool, a game on betting who dies first doesn't seem like pg-13 material.

I strongly believe there needs to be a sorta morbid, horror feel to the film. Not just action and comedy. 

Deadpools story is an horrific tragedy... a guy who goes to extreme lengths to cure his cancer so he can be with the woman he loves... ends up going wrong... ends up being tortured and experimented on every day until he snaps and goes insane.
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By roadbuster

That's a pretty minority view of what makes the current Deadpool character and his popularity and still doesn't require R.  Rape, torture, horror, etc. can be depicted in PG13, see Taken (2008) if necessary. 
    Between Deadpool (multiple volumes), Cable/Deadpool, Agent X, Suicide Kings, Merc With A Mouth, Corps, Lady, Wade Wilson's War, and Team-Up... the only one that needs an R is the MAX title. 

As for all the origin stuff... Deadpool is exactly the type of character who's story can be told without origin.  I imagine if you polled most people who claim they like Deadpool, more than half won't know his origin beyond vague references to mutation and Weapon X, and fewer still will suspect it has anything to do with such graphic torment (much less necessary to the enjoyment of the character... I'm sure an on-screen dissection really primes audiences to enjoy wise cracking later... or maybe it would, it worked on network TV's Heroes with Claire).  PopCulture Deadpool isn't really a character, he's a concept, and that concept doesn't require "a guy being torn apart" to "shock" or provide "morbid horror". 

Put it this way.  Comic books are a medium, just like film.  What allows the comics to get away with showing all the things they do in the comics without slapping a M, MAX, or AO rating on them?  The fact that comics are a medium and an art that grows within restrictions.  They show symbolic images of graphic violence that themselves are not that graphic but convey their point.  No doubt, they could render photo-realistic images of violence- after all, comics are just a medium- but neither did they need to nor did they choose to.  Film is the same.  It can show photo-realistic images of stuff, but like drawn art it can select to draw back and merely communicate the idea.  Given that the bulk of Deadpool's titles and appearances are mainstream audience friendly, it's tough for me to believe that the R is needed.  I can believe it for the Punisher when the main title and portrayal of the character revolves around images and ideas too intense for the mainstream, but that doesn't seem to apply to Deadpool currently.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mainline said:

" @the ace of knaves said:

" @Mainline:  I don't know how you can say Deadpool vs Bullseye arc was pg13. The scene where he sticks that butchers knife in the guys skull eliminates it from pg13 straight alone.  Deadpool, the character, is an assassin/mercenary. Add that to him having a healing factor that can regrow whole limbs... making it pg13 is watering the character down. If the movie is pg13 you won't be seeing him get an arm chopped off and it regrowing. Well you could, but it'd look lame because there would be no blood. "

1. Star Wars The Clone Wars is PG and there were people impaled on-screen.  Decapitation, loss of limbs, etc. are all regular features of that series and the films.  With PG-13 you can get even more graphic and suggestive and, frankly, you don't gain much at all by showing verses implying. 
    2. Boba Fett, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, every PG-13 action hero and their third cousin... is an assassin/mercenary... what's your point? 
    3. Quite the reverse... it's because he can lose the limbs and regrow them they can show it... heck, that happened in X-Men 3.  Wolverine was allowed to be especially aggressive to a mutant who's limbs grew back... nonetheless that PG-13 film allowed him to jab bone spikes into people's faces, stab, cut, and get all the action one desires. 

Bottom line, artful PG-13 will get you any an every action beat you've ever seen in a Deadpool comic, all R provides is gore and there's few- if any- memorable Deadpool moments requiring gore.  I think you misjudge what PG-13 is today... many films have been rerated... things like Spawn (1997) which released with an R are PG-13 today. 

Put it this way, what Deadpool defining moment... something that captures who and what Deadpool is to you- and you think everyone else- that requires and R rating to be communicated on screen? "
    Thanks dude that my point, people miss that the main reason why pg13 thing are pg 13, example, the WWE during months used a incest storyline, and also a rape one, it was pg, but when the choked a guy with his tie, it pased to pg13, also once they show blood and goes pg13, how rape and incest are pg and blood and tie choking is pg13?
    For one reason, the rating system works in a weird way.
    Kick Ass was Rated R not for the violence, i know that is popular idea, but i remember i read a magazine with a interview with the director, he say it, is bizzarre, but i have a movie with a guy on fire, with a guy that explodes and a psychotic little girl, that say bad words, the main reason why this movie is rated R and not PG13, is the fact a little girl say bad word, that is pretty dumb and scary.
    the ace of knaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mainline: I saw Taken, the proper version, the one that wasn't cut to shit and ruined by Fox. The one you guys had in America was the cut to shreds crap version.

If my view of Deadpool is the minority view... then it saddens me. It means we have people who like the character for lame, superficial reasons.

And no, Deadpool isn't the type of character who doesn't need an origin. You take away the tragic, horrific past of Deadpool... you are left with some unsypathetic, shallow, piece of shit character. You take away Deadpools origin he becomes one of those lame 90s characters that he is satirizing.

Wade Wilson's horrific plight is a KEY part of Deadpools story, this is utterly undeniable. You cannot tell the Deadpool story without the tragedy. There needs to be some DEPTH to the character. Not just some wise cracking bad ass who likes swords.
    GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GT-Man

Depends
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By roadbuster
    @the ace of knaves said:

" @Mainline: I saw Taken, the proper version, the one that wasn't cut to shit and ruined by Fox. The one you guys had in America was the cut to shreds crap version. If my view of Deadpool is the minority view... then it saddens me. It means we have people who like the character for lame, superficial reasons.  And no, Deadpool isn't the type of character who doesn't need an origin. You take away the tragic, horrific past of Deadpool... you are left with some unsypathetic, shallow, piece of shit character. You take away Deadpools origin he becomes one of those lame 90s characters that he is satirizing.  Wade Wilson's horrific plight is a KEY part of Deadpools story, this is utterly undeniable. You cannot tell the Deadpool story without the tragedy. There needs to be some DEPTH to the character. Not just some wise cracking bad ass who likes swords. "

1. Taken, network TV "24" with Jack Bauer, TV14 Comedy Central stand-up, network TV "Law & Order" plotlines- all of which probably render more graphic violence, raunchy humor, taboo topics, or dramatic intensity than hand-drawn Deadpool save MAX.  I'm still not at all convinced you've provided an explanation of anything Deadpool that requires a "R"... even if I agree with your interpretation of Deadpool, you can tell that with a PG13... after all, the comics did.

2. Enjoying a character for what the company produces is not lame (and if it's superficial it's because the character is superficial- or at least sold that way).  For all your emphasis on emo origin, a) it barely gets mentioned in his books (vs, say, half-as-young X-23 who trips over her origin every second appearance), you know, by the people who are writing and selling him; b) the character existed for a long time without an origin. 

In fact his wiki entry states 

"The character's back-story has been presented as vague and subject to change, and within the narrative he is unable to remember his personal history due to his mental condition. Whether or not his name was even Wade Wilson is subject to speculation since one of his nemeses, T-Ray, claims in Deadpool #23 that he is the real Wade Wilson and that Deadpool is a vicious murderer who stole his identity. There have been other dubious stories about his history - at one point the supervillain Loki claimed to be his father.  Frequently, revelations are later retconned or ignored altogether, and in one issue, Deadpool himself joked that whether he is actually Wade Wilson depends on who happens to be writing the comics at the time. " 

An origin that's vague, changing, not remembered by the character, much less the writers, is hardly "KEY". 

3. How can you say "those lame 90s characters that he is satirizing" he IS one of those lame 90s characters!  He was one of those knock off unimaginative EXTREME hyper violent characters created by Rob Liefeld (the mind that gave us The Fighting American and the cast of Youngblood)... it doesn't get much more 90s than that!  Again from his wiki: "Nicieza contacted Liefeld, saying "this is Deathstroke from Teen Titans." Nicieza gave Deadpool the real name of "Wade Wilson" as an in-joke to being "related" to "Slade Wilson""  Deadpool didn't come out with a tragic origin, depth, or character... he wasn't even particularly a bad ass, he was a semi-competent villain who talked a big game but got one-upped by 90s era X-Force routinely. 

Now granted, he evolved, but even if your vision was one glimmering period of his past, he's evolved past that as well.  What you're doing is like saying Adam West's Batman is the definitive version and neither Batman's original interpretation before that nor his popular interpretation afterwards are valid... claiming one brief period in time (live action TV for the Batman illustration, or a handful of issues for Deadpool) that has had few tangible effects on the character's contemporary popular portrayal or acceptance is all-important such as to require a retelling of that moment in a manner requiring a ratings change.  For the Batman example that's like saying the next Nolan film needs to give homage to the camp of West's Batman.  Deadpool has moved on.  You might lament it but it's the price of popularity which I doubt it's in Marvel's business interests to sacrifice on the altar of a very skewed view of authenticity. 

The majority, popular view of Deadpool as non-emo, not particularly tied to an origin, and not really all that tragic does not mean that version is superficial... this list is largely consistent with the popular PG13 version of Deadpool and the vast majority of fans would be happy if even a tenth of these best moments made it to screen (said moments analyzed): http://www.4thletter.net/category/features/top-70-deadpool-moments/
    the ace of knaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mainline: Taken... the proper version... the directors vision is a hard R. Fox cut it to shreds for American audiences.

And no... i'm saying Joe Kelly's Deadpool is the definitive Deadpool. And it is. Joe Kelly turned this lame, hyper violent, 90s villain into a character with a complex psychology, a tragic past and made him sympathetic yet at the same time despicable. Joe Kelly's treatment of Deadpool is the best Deadpool has ever been written. And apart from a few parts of Cable and Deadpool... nothing has ever come close. Deadpool is not all fun and games, he isn't a clown... as he is made out to be in recent comics. He is a guy that is laughing on the outside... but deep down he is totally broken up and tortured. Think Martin Riggs from the Lethal Weapon series. On the outside he acts all crazy and makes wise cracks... but underneath that exterior he is totally ruined. That is what makes Deadpool a great character. A deep character with real development.

Yes some parts of Deadpools past is murky and ambiguous, but there are certain things that are, well, certain.

Wade Wilson started out as a merc who had a code of honour, he only killed people who deserved it. Like dictators and warlords. He wanted to settle down with the woman he loved, Vanessa(Copycat) but he got terminal cancer. He didn't want to be a burden to her, he didn't want her to watch him waste away. So he went to extreme lengths to cure that cancer (volenteered to become a human lab rat). Experiment went horribly wrong... ended up thrown into a prison where he was tortured and experimented on every single day. Was put into a "dead pool".

Long story short, he went through a totally traumatic experience, and ended up going completely insane.

That is ESSENTIAL to the story of Deadpool. Shit, that's how he got his name! You cannot tell the story of Deadpool without all of that. And no it's not "emo". It's serious and tragic story telling. And Ryan Reynolds agrees with me going by his latest interview.

Fact is, the Deadpool movie will be trash if you want the modern day version of him on film. Sure it might be funny and have great action, but i want more from the Deadpool film. I want depth and character development. The Deadpool movie needs to be R because it needs to show that he is not a hero, that this will not be your standard superhero movie. That this guy has been through the ringer and come out the other side as an insane and violent mercenary who has a skewed sense of morality and tortures blind old ladies.

Seems to me you are people like you want the lame Daniel Way version of Deadpool on the screen.

Whilst me and people like me, including Ryan Reynolds, want a more serious, deep version of Deadpool on the screen. Like Joe Kelly's.

See the very essense of the character is tragedy... and how it is dealt with. The way Deadpool deals with the tragedy that is his life is what appeals to people who are interested in real story telling... not just jokes and action. He laughs at how crap and absurd his life is. THAT IS THE MAIN CHARACTERISTIC of Deadpool. Undeniable. The film needs to show this. Show the tragic nature of the character... then show how he deals with it.
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By roadbuster

"That is ESSENTIAL to the story of Deadpool. Shit, that's how he got his name! You cannot tell the story of Deadpool without all of that."   

Sure you can.  Every Deadpool appearance in non-comic media to date has done so. 

You're pining for Adam West's Batman when the franchise has moved on. 

the ace of knaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mainline:  Not at all... you are pining for the Adam West style Deadpool. The lame, shallow Daniel Way style. I'm pining for the Chris Nolan style Deadpool. The serious, adult Joe Kelly style.

And like I said, Ryan Reynolds exact quote about the script was "Emotional filth". So yea... he and the guys who wrote the script agrees with me.

You keep hoping for your shallow, Daniel Way style Deadpool movie that is just a bunch of jokes and action scenes with no character development.

I'll keep hoping for a serious and compelling Deadpool movie. That has real character development to go along with the comedy and action.
    Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#31  Edited By Dracade102

it should be rated X

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By roadbuster
    @the ace of knaves said:

" @Mainline:  Not at all... you are pining for the Adam West style Deadpool. The lame, shallow Daniel Way style. I'm pining for the Chris Nolan style Deadpool. The serious, adult Joe Kelly style. And like I said, Ryan Reynolds exact quote about the script was "Emotional filth". So yea... he and the guys who wrote the script agrees with me.  You keep hoping for your shallow, Daniel Way style Deadpool movie that is just a bunch of jokes and action scenes with no character development. "

You've missed the point, I'm referring to time period not tone.  West's Batman is the past, just as your version is past.  That said, I don't think your version ever existed. 

Joe Kelly cemented Deadpool as a joke the day he decided Deadpool would break the fourth wall.  Everything you're reading into his run is undercut by the fact Deadpool knows he's fiction.  That's the joke.  For us, on Deadpool. 

Your overwrought interpretation of his torment is an emo-Deadpool few recognize... he can't be genuine or tragic because, even by Kelly's admission, he's not real even in his own reality.        
    Ultimate JSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 28

#33  Edited By Ultimate JSA

pg-13 i don't get why everyone thinks it should be R he's not that grotesque

the ace of knaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mainline:  Of course Deadpool is real in his own reality... in Kelly's series he broke the fourth wall because he had completely split from reality... due to the traumatic experience he went through with Weapon X.  He THOUGHT he was a comic book character... because he was totally and utterly insane.

You don't think my version ever existed... jesus... i can't actually believe this. Do i have to bring out the Ryan Reynolds quotes? Am i, Ryan Reynolds, Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick the only people on the planet who sees Deadpool for what he really is? No, thought not.

The FACT is Joe Kelly established Deadpool as a guy who uses his humour and to some extent, plays up his craziness, to numb the pain of his shitty life and to try and excuse his sometimes utterly despicable nature.. Like i said earlier, Martin Riggs from Lethal Weapon. He acts the way he does because that's how he deals with the tragedy of his life. Deadpool deep down, hates himself, he hates what he is... he wants to prove to people that he maybe a monster on the outside, but not a monster on the inside... that's why all of his best stories have been about him trying to better himself and become a good guy. THAT IS DEADPOOL. He's like Buggs Bunny crossed with The Punisher crossed with Frankenstein's monster.

This new version pioneered by Daniel Way is a pale shadow of the Deadpool i grew up reading. This new version is just some clown who likes killing people and has never had any character development.

If you want this new version of Deadpool brought to the big screen, the version without any real character development or depth, just some shallow wise cracking bad ass nut job who likes guns... fine. But it will be a crappy, shallow piece of shit that no one apart from teenage boys will take seriously.

I want more for Deadpool. I want a proper film with proper characterization and development to go along with the insane action and humour.
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By roadbuster
    @the ace of knaves said:
    " @Mainline:  Of course Deadpool is real in his own reality... in Kelly's series he broke the fourth wall because he had completely split from reality... due to the traumatic experience he went through with Weapon X.  He THOUGHT he was a comic book character... because he was totally and utterly insane.  
    When you think you're a comic book character and all your 4th wall allusions are correct then you've broken the 4th wall and you're a joke.  This isn't Deadpool being insane, this is being Deadpool being right for the sake of our laughter. 

"Guys, Looney Tunes is making a full length feature... it needs to be rated R because there's the hunting of sentient beings by those who want to devour their flesh, animals get chopped to pieces, people get guns shot in their face, babies are endangered, people have anvils and pianos falling on their heads crushing in their skulls, and there's mad scenes where they're hit so hard their teeth fall out... damn, it's gonna be intense!" 

Except they're not real.  In the cartoon they're not rendered that graphically, in tone it's not that graphic, and all the while it's played as a joke.  Barring MAX, Deadpool- Kelly or not- it's been the same... the books render fine as PG13, even from his origins he was created as an intentional joke (a play on Deathstroke) and written that way ever since, the acknowledgement and the breaking of the 4th wall cements it.  The reason Deadpool can get away with torturing grandmas, punching out minors, and all the other "edgy" stuff he does in-comic that other's could not without going MAX is because he's looney tunes... he's not real, knows it, just as we do.  There's no consequences for fake characters.  Even an "extreme" character like Wolvie would have his character marred if he tortured an old lady, but looney tunes brush it off because they're a joke.
    oldgum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By oldgum

R, or it will be too lame

the ace of knaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mainline:  Deadpool isn't a fake character though... he is a part of the 616 universe. He interacts with other characters.

If all Deadpools stories were told in a stand alone universe, not connected to the 616 and he didn't interact with anyone else? I'd totally understand where you are coming from.

But, that is not the case. Deadpool isn't in his own little universe, he is in the 616. Deadpool might be "loony toons". But he is still "real" in that he exists in the 616. He thinks he is a comic book character in a fictional world... everyone else thinks he is completely insane.

The point is, Deadpool, the character, is not all fun and games. He isn't just a joke character. See the difference between Deadpool and someone like say, Ambush Bug, is that with Deadpool you can tell serious stories.... just with a totally crazy antagonist. Ambush Bug is there solely to be satirical and break the fourth wall.
    Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the ace of knaves:  

Deadpool is a fake character. Everyone in the Marvel universe is. Just Deadpool is the only one aware of this. Which is part of why he's awesome. 

@DeathpooltheT1000:
    Whoever told you "gay sex" is not R doesn't know what they're talking about. The media is often harder on homosexual relations (no matter how liberal Hollywood may be).

Brokeback moutain: No graphic violence+ very little language+ Gay Sex (and it's not even graphic)=R 

Short Bus= Almost all gay characters, gay sex (I'll admit it is graphic... I wish I didn't see this movie)=R. 

The list goes on. Just saying.
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By roadbuster

Don't lose sight of what you're arguing.  The point for you is that R = origin story, character development, and emo-Deadpool.  You've still yet to show that PG13 can't be dark, tortured, or provide character development- be it The Dark Knight, 24, Law & Order, or whatever.  All this circular debate seems to be about is showing him on a operating table and having him torture grandma... both of which can be rendered in just as much detail as the PG13 comic book. 

As for the necessity of his origin or imaginary depth, since he's insane his origin is rather irrelevant- as illustrated by The Dark Knight's Joker- there's story, plot, etc, but no need for a character arc.  An irrational actor does not require exposition of rational origins to tell a compelling story.  It's NOT "key" which is why Deadpool's origins are muddled, rarely referenced, if not altogether forgotten in-comic.  He's not Batman where his origin drives him, or X-23 where her origin haunts her, or just about every other sane character... his origin simply doesn't matter because "insanity"  explains every and any action he takes.  That's why he's a concept not a character.  They can make him a hero or a villain in any given story without any lead up and no one will blink twice because his motivations are that irrelevant (whereas other characters have to go through arcs to explain them switching sides).  His super over-powered regeneration abilities is just a stand in for the invulnerability of Looney Tunes type characters, allowing him to do anything without consequences. 

His own actions barely have any consequence on himself, even "existing" in the 616 universe is practically as a cartoon... he's not held to account, by other characters, like a real person but like a cartoon making a cameo.  It's arguable he does live in his own pocket universe were Rhino gets carried around as a keychain or Steve Rogers invites him to be part of the Secret Avengers without blinking... those aren't the real versions of the characters, they're faux life-model decoys pulled into the gravity of Deadpool's cartoon world.  As Joe Kelly comments: 

"With Deadpool, we could do anything we wanted because everybody just expected the book to be cancelled every five seconds, so nobody was paying attention. And we could get away with it."

I'm glad you got some sort of rich experience out of it but it doesn't seem like that was the aim even from the creator.

Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mainline: 
    I wouldn't say that everyone he ever interacted with is an apparition of his mind. He still has bearing on the Marvel U. Other people mention him even when he's not in the comic.

Your theory on Deadpool is a little extreme for my tastes but it is thinking outside the box. I dig that.
    Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By ReverseNegative
    moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By moviegeek17

A PG13 Deadpool film would feel way too tame to me anyway.R all the way!

Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There have been a lot of great PG 13 action films. I think people confuse PG 13 with a "kid's movie".

Don't get me wrong. I'd rather see it R too. But PG 13 will not be the deciding point for whether or not it will be good.

-Vigil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By -Vigil-

As   fACEmelter88 said, the R-ratedness would likely be gore, and I figure there's enough suffering in the world already, I don't need it in my movies. PG-13 please!

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By roadbuster
    @Abnormally Warm Guy said:

" @Mainline:  I wouldn't say that everyone he ever interacted with is an apparition of his mind. He still has bearing on the Marvel U. Other people mention him even when he's not in the comic.  Your theory on Deadpool is a little extreme for my tastes but it is thinking outside the box. I dig that. "

I don't think I said that.  The interactions occurred, but their relevancy to the MU is debatable.  Rhino doesn't mutter about that time he was traumatized by Deadpool.  When people are in the "Deadpool-verse" they can act completely cartoony and rather than us throwing a fit about characterization, we'd just shrug and say, "That's Deadpool!"  For example, if Rogers starts speaking only in military recruitment slogans ("Be all that you can be", "Army of one!", "The few the proud", "Accelerate life", etc) or Black Widow's accent comes on thick and has an abnormally high fixation on mooses and squirrels in a Deadpool book that would be completely normal for Deadpool despite the declaration that he's a 616 character.  It's not just him that's insane but the villains he fights, the supporting characters, etc. they all behave in a manner different than mainstream 616, much like the cast of Nextwave.  In 616, Fing Fang Foom in giant purple pants is not rational... but it fits Nextwave or Deadpool just fine.
    Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mainline: I still think Deadpool has a liner storyline. Unfortunately, (like many from his genre)  that storyline changes when a new writer takes over (like Fabian wanting his creation to be a good guy so he retconned the whole T-Ray thing... or did he? It's debatable).

I like the depth of his mind and what plagues him. I see his comedy as a way to escape what he doesn't like about his life.

Deadpool does know he is a comic book character. Can you imagine how hard that would be? To know you're a fictional character or even a puppet of another's whims? It'd be very depressing. That is his comolexity. He's the sad clown that is so for the most ridiculous reason ever!
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By roadbuster

The character is popular.  I'm not denying that.  I'm saying he isn't popular because he's tortured, has a screwed up origin, or because he has a deep and believable psychosis. 

It's fine if you want to read that into the comedy but it's not there on the page.  We're not reliably told that he doesn't like his life or has existential angst about being fictional.  Quite the reverse.  Whereas works which turn on 4th Wall breaking actually develop this point (say Roger Rabbit, Cool World, Space Jam, Last Action Hero. and the like) Deadpool has had more than enough opportunities to flesh it out but it is reliably played for laughs rather than philosophy. 

Here's the point.  A "depth of mind" or a rich character can provide rationalized reasoning for their behavior... even nut jobs like those in 12 Monkeys... but with Deadpool he can do literally anything and you couldn't question it.  That's not deep, that's just insanity.  If Deadpool decided to eat underwear or to hunt cats for stew or to wear a hair piece over his face mask or to paint a target on his back or to bathe in pudding... none of us could say it's out of character.  We couldn't point to any particular deep or specific injury or psychosis that drove him to it.  Contrast against Spider-Man or Batman... in 1 Month 2 Live, Spider-Man lets a bank robber go... that sounds out of character, but it goes to the pleading the man made, tied back to making mistakes when you first get your powers and needing a second chance... it ties back to his origins, his psychosis, his guilt complex... that's depth and character.  If the same man pleaded with Deadpool, we couldn't say that Deadpool would let the man go, leave him for the police, shoot him in the head, or rob the place himself... random behavior isn't depth. 

Does that make him a bad character?  Depends, but certainly he's in good company with The Joker (who arguably has clearer motivations than Deadpool)... but it does mean his origin/torment doesn't drive his character (or require an R to show it).

Gunslinger6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Gunslinger6

R would definitely be better but it can still be a good movie with PG-13 if the writer gets Deadpool's personality right. Anyway, after Punisher: War Zone Marvel said they wont make R-Rated movies (shame, I loved War Zone).

Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mainline:

Well the beautiful thing about this is we don't have to agree. We both get something different from Deadpool and enjoy him in different ways. There's a lot of room for intereperation with Deadpool. But I agree about the R thing. It's not necessary (would I personally like ot see some hilariously over the top gore... sure but it won't make the movie any better) PG 13 will be fine.
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rating process

The MPAA does not release specific guidelines as to what content will receive which rating. However, they do state that many factors are considered including content such as sex, violence, nudity, language, adult topics and drug use. Some guidelines can be derived based on the MPAA's actual rating decisions:

• If a film uses "one of the harsher sexually derived words" (such as fuck) one to four times, it is routine today for the film to receive a PG-13 rating, provided that the word is used as an expletive and not with a sexual meaning (this was mentioned in Be Cool, when Chili Palmer complains about the movie industry.). Both Back to School and Away from Her contain four uses of "fuck" in non-sexual context. An example of a film that might suggest this criterion is Waiting for Guffman, which contains mostly PG-13 content, yet is rated R (brief strong language) because a man auditioning for a role uses fuck in a sexual context while quoting Raging Bull (the only time it is spoken in the movie). Also, some films are rated R but contain minimal use of the word, such as Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, Run Lola Run, 88 Minutes, and Frost/Nixon. Exceptions may be allowed, "by a special vote of the ratings board" where the board feels such an exception would better reflect the sensibilities of American parents. A couple of exceptions were noted: rare films such as Guilty by Suspicion were allowed as many as nine uses of the word; probably because of the precedent set in the 1970s by politically important films such as All the President's Men. All the President's Men was once rated R but then re-rated PG on appeal. It is a common misconception that if a movie uses fuck in a nonsexual context more than once, it will automatically receive an R rating. In reality, PG-13 movies are routinely allowed two or three uses. Some movies such as Valkyrie, I, Robot, and The Sum of All Fears each have fuck said once, but still received the PG-13 Rating. But there have been two extreme circumstances so far: Gunner Palace has 42 uses of the word, 2 used sexually, and The Hip Hop Project has 17 uses. Both films were rated PG-13 on appeal from an R rating. Precedent for this dates back to the early days of the system, in which an independent film called "Saturday Morning" (a documentary including interviews with youth) was allowed many extra uses of the word to accommodate its documentary nature without restricting its primary audience. (See Farber's book, described below, for documentation of the "Saturday Morning" fact.)
    • A reference to drugs, such as marijuana, usually gets a movie a PG-13 rating at a minimum. A well known example of an otherwise PG movie getting a PG-13 for a drug reference (momentary, along with brief language) is Whale Rider. The film contained only mild profanity but received a PG-13 because of a scene where drug paraphernalia were briefly visible. Critic Roger Ebert criticized the MPAA for the rating and called it "a wild overreaction."
    • A graphic or explicit scene of illegal drug use will earn a film at least a PG-13 rating (such as Ray, where Ray Charles is depicted using heroin and marijuana) and, especially in the case of hard drugs, even an R rating. In rare cases, extremely graphic scenes of hard drug use will get a film an NC-17 (see Bad Lieutenant, rated NC-17 "for sexual violence, strong sexual situations & dialogue, graphic drug use.")
    • In May 2007, the MPAA announced that depictions of cigarette smoking would be considered in a film's rating. On a side note, Universal Studios has a policy on depictions of tobacco. Starting April 16, 2007, they presume that no smoking incidents appear in youth-rated (G, PG, PG-13) films, and that if there is such an incident, a "health warning" that usually states "THIS FILM CONTAINS DEPICTIONS OF TOBACCO CONSUMPTION" will appear on any marketing material, DVD packaging, end credits, etc. Walt Disney Pictures no longer allows smoking in its movies, or at least in its newer movies, as 101 Dalmatians was released uncut on DVD after Disney banned smoking in its films despite Cruella de Vil being portrayed as a fanatic smoker.
    • If a film contains strong sexual content, it usually receives at least an R rating. The film Lost in Translation contained a scene in a strip club that had brief topless nudity while the song " Fuck the Pain Away" by Peaches played in the background. The scene was brief and the rest of the film had PG-13 level content, but the film still received an R rating. In general, films containing female nudity receive an automatic R rating. In the case of I Capture the Castle, a shot of a topless woman got the film an R rating "for brief nudity". In many other countries with a similar ratings system (such as the UK, Australia, and Canada), the film received an equivalent of G or PG. However, there are many films including buttock and/or breast nudity (and in some cases, genital nudity) that are rated PG-13 or less. A few examples:
    • Shirtless men are allowed in G-rated films, while topless women usually earn at least a PG-13. Before the adaptation of the PG-13 rating, topless women could be seen in several PG-rated films such as some of the ones mentioned above.. Even after the PG-13 rating had been implemented, topless women have been featured in PG-rated films, but generally in documentaries that depict it in a cultural or scientific context, such as in Babies. If a film contains male rear nudity, it is more likely to be given a lower rating than if the nudity were female. Male nudity is generally regarded as ribald (i.e. mooning) or natural, while female nudity is generally regarded as sexual. When it comes to exposed genitalia, there appears to be a double standard that allows male genitals to be shown much more often and more graphically than female genitals. Some films containing full-frontal male nudity have received PG and PG-13 ratings, such as The Cider House Rules (PG-13), in which a male migrant worker takes a shower and his genitalia are visible for a few seconds, though the scene is very brief and not in a sexual context. Films containing male or female full-frontal nudity usually earn an R rating, or possibly NC-17 if depicted in sexual situations. Many R-rated films have male frontal nudity such as Boogie Nights, Jackass: The Movie, Jackass: Number Two, Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, Kinsey, Sideways, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, The Life of Brian, Watchmen, Zack and Miri Make a Porno and many more. While many films show female full-frontal nudity, in nearly every case, only the pubic hair is seen and the actual vulva is not seen. The end result is that male genitals are far more prevalent than female genitals in R-rated films. R-rated movies have also been allowed to show erect penises, such as in Bruno, The Hangover, and The Departed, while no R-rated film has ever shown aroused (wet) female genitals, suggesting a double standard.
    • Films that have legitimate historical or educational value are often granted leniency. Some have argued that the level of violence in Saving Private Ryan merited an NC-17 rating, but that the film was given leniency because it was a historical war movie (However, in both the UK and Ireland the film received a 15 certificate, in New Zealand the film received an R16 rating and in Australia an MA15+ rating after an appeal against the initial R rating). This argument also came up when The Passion of the Christ was released without cuts, with an R rating.
    • Violence which includes bloodshed will usually receive a PG-13 or R rating, though in extreme cases bloodshed violence may receive an NC-17 rating. The film Scream was originally rated NC-17 for "graphic horror violence and gore" but under appeal by director Wes Craven, it was changed to R with some overly graphic content cut out. It does depend on how long the blood is actually shown and how much of it. Bloodless violence will usually be rated PG or PG-13 (e.g. Alien vs. Predator; the unrated version contains the same content as the PG-13-rated version in terms of violence. However, every violent scene includes bloodshed. The same thing happened with Pearl Harbor, in which explicit gunshot wounds and violence were added to get an R rating on the director's cut DVD.) The anime Appleseed has PG-13 level violence. However, there was a scene of a mecha crushing a man's head, with resulting blood. The MPAA rated it R for "some violence", but the scene was rather undetailed compared to other films of its type, like The Matrix. (In the UK, Appleseed was rated 12A and in Spain it was rated 13.) There Will Be Blood had no explicit violence, but the MPAA also rated this film R for "some violence". There is a scene in which a man is beaten with a bowling pin and a small pool of blood is shown onscreen as a result.
    • Ratings criteria are intended to reflect changing norms and compromises between the diverse needs and rights of various interests in a large and complex modern society. Inevitably, the private views of the Ratings Board members will affect what is deemed acceptable for children to watch, determined in part by the culture of the time. Therefore, an evaluation of ratings criteria must specify what year or approximate period of time is being referred to, when modeling the standards relevant to each film classification. For example, according to This Film Is Not Yet Rated, films depicting homosexual sex scenes have been treated much more harshly than those depicting similar heterosexual scenes.
     Adn actually why a movie is Pg13 and R rated, is thanks to the board of guys, who say if is pg 13 or R rated, there is a votation and they decide, that why i have wtached a bunch of movie with gay sex as pg 13 and other with gay sex being rated r, i think is something about who the actors are.
    Also they care more about sex that violence, then if Deadpool goe in a killing rampage naked = R
    If he goes in a killing rampoage with his suit is = Pg 13
    Also, if you have some actor that they like or famous actors, super famous director, it means is going to be PG 13, then if you have Brad Pitt ihaving sex with geroger Clooney killing 100 million guys = pg13
    If i and another guys kill 30, without having sex = Nc17.
    The Rating System is pure bollshi@$t.

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.