Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3332 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

Deadpool Characters: Movie vs. Comics

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided

Deadpool has been taking comics and the Internet by storm. You can read our early review of the movie on GameSpot and watch our video showing thirteen things you should know before seeing the movie.

Deadpool won't be alone in his solo movie debut. He's bringing some of his comic book friends and enemies with him. Here's a look at what inspired the live-action versions.

No Caption Provided

Deadpool is played by Ryan Reynolds. If you've seen any of the trailers, TV spots, or public service announcements, you know he was practically born to play the character.

Deadpool is the Merc with a Mouth. You can expect a lot of dialogue from Reynolds.

No Caption Provided

Deadpool is as unpredictable as they come. Costumes are often changed in the big screen adaptations, but they've managed to keep Deadpool's look. They've even made it so you can see some expression on his face while he's wearing a mask.

Wade Wilson

No Caption Provided

Wade Wilson was suffering from cancer when he agreed to undergo an experiment that would cure him and give him new abilities. He gained an incredible healing factor, but a side effect is he now has a scarred face due to the cancer cells unable to die.

Vanessa Carlysle

No Caption Provided

Vanessa Carlysle is played by Morena Baccarin. Vanessa was Wade's girlfriend before he underwent the experiment to cure his cancer.

In the comics, Vanessa was a blue-skinned, shape-shifting mutant. She and Wade had a relationship before he became Deadpool except he broke it off before leaving.

There's been no indication that Vanessa in the movie is a mutant.

Weasel

No Caption Provided

T.J. Miller takes on the role of Weasel, Wade Wilson's buddy.

In the comics, Weasel sort of became Deadpool's sidekick. Weasel was a brilliant kid whose future was sabotaged by Deadpool after he accidentally teleported back in time. Weasel made gadgets for Deadpool and helped broker different merc jobs. They eventually had a pretty big falling out.

Colossus

No Caption Provided

Colossus is voiced by Stefan Kapicic with facial performance by Greg LaSalle. Colossus has previously been portrayed by Daniel Cudmore on the big screen in X-Men: Days of Future Past, X2: X-Men United, and X-Men: The Last Stand. There may not be any connection between the different versions after the events of Days of Future Past.

In the comics, Piotr Nikolaievitch Rasputin was recruited by Professor Xavier to become part of his new X-Men. Piotr grew up on his family farm in Russia and has had many adventures with the X-Men over the years.

Blind Al

No Caption Provided

Blind Al is played by Leslie Uggams in the movie.

Blind Al has a mysterious past. It was revealed she was a prisoner of Deadpool's. She was also a mother figure for him. She wasn't treated as a typical prisoner and Deadpool often left her alone in his house in San Francisco. He did make it clear there'd be severe consequences if she tried to escape. Blind Al often gave Deadpool advice and had a good influence on him. Because of this, when Deadpool decided to let her go free, she refused. Eventually he did teleport her to a park and left her there. She has shown up from time to time in the comics afterwards.

Negasonic Teenage Warhead

No Caption Provided

Negasonic Teenage Warhead is played by Brianna Hildebrand in the movie.

There is a pretty big difference between the movie and comic version of the character in terms of looks and powers. When Ellie Phimister first appeared, she was a student in Emma Frost telepathy class. It appeared she was killed immediately but she later turned up, apparently surviving due to a secondary mutation.

Aside from telepathy, Ellie also showed signs of precognition. In the movie, Negasonic Teenage Warhead can unleash localized tactile nuclear ignition. You can see her in action in this clip.

Angel Dust

No Caption Provided

Angel Dust is played by Gina Carano in the movie.

There appears to be a difference again between the movie and comic versions. Angel Dust will fight against Deadpool. In the comics, Christine was a teenager who ran away from home when her powers developed. She assumed her parents would not accept the fact that she was a mutant. She joined up with some other mutants, the Morlocks, living underground in the sewers in Chicago. With her new friends, she had to steer clear of some crooked police officers and fight some mutant hunting Sentinel robots. Christine eventually made her way back home and was surprised to find her parents accepted who she was.

Angel Dust could increase her adrenaline and gain super strength. She could only use her powers for a short period of time before exhausting herself.

Ajax

No Caption Provided

Ajax is played by Ed Skrein.

Ajax, or Francis, worked in the lab where Wade Wilson underwent the experiment that led to him becoming Deadpool. Francis was cruel and sadistic, taking care of any test subjects that got out of line. When Wade first became Deadpool in the lab, it seemed he killed Francis. Francis later returned as Ajax, in armor, and hunted Deadpool down to get revenge.

Stan Lee

No Caption Provided

Stan Lee is the co-creator of Spider-Man, Iron Man, Hulk, X-Men, etc. He constantly makes cameo appearances in Marvel movies. He does have a cameo in Deadpool, but we won't spoil that here. Be sure to keep an eye out for him.

Deadpool opens in theaters on February 12.

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Batman3000

I can't wait to see this!

ravishing_rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Stan the man

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

I love Negasonic Teenage Warhead's new look, but we power sounds like it's been changed to simple "blasting". I really hope her and Colossus are in it form more than one scene.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Seeing this on Thursday

SinisterSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the look of Colossus.

Avatar image for ultimate_knight
    Ultimate_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you for the article. Now I feel more educated about Deadpool and it is nice to get introduced to some obscure characters.

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avatar_of_green: Youre going to start making us go to Gamespot for comic book related movie reviews and other shit that has nothing to do with video games?

Movie looks good though.

Avatar image for 51stpresidentofplanetneutral
    51stPresidentofPlanetNeutral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

@d9000 said:

I love Negasonic Teenage Warhead's new look, but we power sounds like it's been changed to simple "blasting". I really hope her and Colossus are in it form more than one scene.

Yeah. They're probably in two scenes.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

since day 1 i was expecting this one to be more comic-accurate than any other X-Men movie

Avatar image for deactivated-599f6ccbd15bb
    deactivated-599f6ccbd15bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder if we will see Deadpool get decapitated.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@d9000 said:

Yeah. They're probably in two scenes.

No Caption Provided

Tattacus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved Stan Lee's cameo. Too funny.

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iknow said:

Wonder if we will see Deadpool get decapitated.

I think that already happened during X-Men Origins:Wolverine which is now non cannon.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@d9000 said:

To be fair, her comic powers weren't that good and didn't fit with her given/chosen codename, which the movie version seems to do.

SlymPeter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SlymPeter

I must admit: I'm really impatient to see this movie, after these teaser, Deadpool seems even better in real than the comics version !

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

couldnt care less about NTW, but seeing her in the X-men duds makes me wish theyd chosen that for the X-movies

franksands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only one that thinks "Negasonic Teenage Warhead" is a mouthful for a character's name? I saw that it's a reference to a song, but couldn't it be just Warhead or Negasonic or something?

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda didn't like the fact that Wade's healing factor didn't come from Wolverine. I also didn't like the Stan Lee cameo. They should've given Rob Liefeld that cameo.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Loved this movie.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

Speaking of Vanessa, I think there's a chance she' gained powers during the final fight. a) Francis told Deadpool that the powers are activated through stress, b) Vanessa was put in the same contraption and subjected to the lack of air, not to mention the stress from falling from Helicarrier. c) The visible evidence of the mutation isn't necessary Angel Dust and Francis himself are a living proof of it.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kairan1979: But you first had to be injected with the mystery formula that they all got in the "superhero factory".

John-PH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't forget one cameo. A character that I thought was owned by Marvel

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john-ph said:

Don't forget one cameo. A character that I thought was owned by Marvel

He is owned by Marvel. Hence why he was a generic merc and simply named Bob. Marvel probably could try to start some stuff over it if they really wanted to but seeing as he was a background character for like 2 minutes it's probably not worth it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.