Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3322 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

DEADPOOL #35: A Spoiler-Filled Discussion

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    No Caption Provided

The latest volume of DEADPOOL, written by Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn, has really won us over. What began with a gory and comedic story arc quickly transformed into a fun ride that shows consistent signs of depth and occasionally sprinkles in just the right amount of darkness. That's exactly what Wade Wilson, a.k.a. Deadpool, needs to avoid feeling like a walking punchline and these co-writers have been delivering the goods. Today's issue, DEADPOOL #35, is technically a jumping on spot and, if you've read our review, you know we think it's awesome. So awesome, in fact, that we want to have a detailed discussion about it. So, find a beverage (or snack, but be sure not to talk with food in your mouth), grab the issue, get cozy, and let's discuss it.

Oh, and there's obviously spoilers in here. Not sure how you wouldn't know that by now given the title and all that, but we feel obligated to let you know.

Usually an issue of DEADPOOL goes heavy with the depth or heavy with the comedy, but it's not every day we see both balanced so perfectly. Right off the bat, the layout allows the co-writers to offer some emotional beats and some laughs back to back. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly was a, well, ugly time for Wade Wilson, but now that he finally has his daughter, Ellie, we can't help but cheer for the guy. He's been through so much darkness, despair and torment in his life, so to see him try and bond with his daughter is heartwarming. Unfortunately, she has a lot of questions -- and understandably so -- and he's just not sure how to answer them. It's these subtle moments where the creative team brings their A game. Deadpool tries his best to avoid hurting her and pretty much most of the truth he could offer would indeed hurt the girl. He even refuses to take off his mask, likely thinking his own daughter would fear him. How heartbreaking is that?

Artist Mike Hawthorne gives Deadpool expressions that'll pull every ounce of empathy you've got in you. These bits are complemented by the issue's "big bad," Dracula, as he attempts to modify a Spider-Slayer. You know, so he can punch Deadpool really, really hard during the day. Wade did steal his fiance, after all.

I wonder if his e-mail is DraculaRulez1897@aol.com
    I wonder if his e-mail is DraculaRulez1897@aol.com

There isn't anything hysterical like the "pull my finger" gag between Ellie and Wade in this one -- it's purely focused on Deadpool trying to do the right thing. Actually, doing the right thing is basically the theme of this chapter. Sure, Deadpool later puts a homeless guy's life in danger (we'll get to that), but we're talking about Wade's way of doing the right thing. After Agent Preston realizes they should stop talking because Deadpool's clearly struggle with his answers, Deadpool visits Ellie's grandma. Why, you ask? To let her know that her granddaughter is safe. See, Deadpool isn't just a heartless clown, people. Okay, maybe the scene does take a comedic turn which involves dentures, slushies, and puking, but the point remains: this issue's all about Wade trying to help others.

Ellie's grandma isn't the only visit on his schedule, either. If you've been following the volume -- if not, go catch up now, slacker -- then you know Deadpool's friends from North Korea's Weapon X program are in trouble. Luckily for them, Deadpool has some very, very intelligent friends associates. Kim and the other experiments meet Wade and the X-Men at the Jean Grey School. There's some banter here and there, but there's one encounter which pulled my heartstrings. Perhaps I'm just a sap, but if you've been reading the volume, then you know what Kim has endured and this was such a happy bit between him and Kurt Wagner.

Okay, maybe that part choked me up a little bit.
    Okay, maybe that part choked me up a little bit.

Heartfelt scene, isn't it? Well, in true Deadpool fashion, it isn't long before the jokes and laughter fade away and the hints of darkness begin to emerge. In this case, a room that's meant to inspire hope and fix Kim and his allies' medical condition only brings back terrible, terrible memories. The layout really allows this bit to resonate and it helps us see just how much the Merc with a Mouth can relate to what Kim is feeling.

The co-writers warm up our hearts just before ripping them out.
    The co-writers warm up our hearts just before ripping them out.

Even though the mercenary's spewing quite a few comedic remarks, the issue has mostly been character-driven and focused on showing that Wade's not just some emotionless killer with a healing factor. Enter Dracula to lighten the mood! The big action scene seems like the co-writers had a blast with it. Wade's witty and rude, but Dracula's written like your cliche, overconfident villain who loves to monologue. The dynamic between the two is hilarious because Wade decides to momentarily play along with his generic rambling and then foils his plans by using... stairs!

Dracula almost pulls an ED-209 (you're welcome, RoboCop fans).
    Dracula almost pulls an ED-209 (you're welcome, RoboCop fans).

Deadpool's eluded Dracula, but he can't just let the Spider-Slayer wander the streets of New York. That's downright irresponsible, you know? To solve this conflict, the co-writers came up with something so absurd and funny. Seeing as it's a New York subway, there's a homeless person and Deadpool enlists the dude's help. Wade has the poor guy dress as him and then distract Dracula. While the robotic foe is distracted, Wade puts thermite on his back and the opponent begins to burn.

The bit with the homeless guy is full of entertaining dialogue ("Jaysis!"), but even this scene is proof of the co-writers' impressive handling of the book. Even after all of the absurd and over-the-top laughs, Dracula's final moments as the Spider-Slayer are spent commenting on Deadpool's physical condition (the homeless dude is wearing his costume, remember?). After all of these smiles and gags, we're once again reminded that Deadpool may joke and mess around a lot, but a lot of that is to cover up just how damaged he is on the inside. To avoid making the moment too heavy-handed, there's a bathroom joke immediately after it. What? Like you wouldn't have an accident if a giant robot with Dracula's face in its chest chased after you?

When all is said and done, we're left wondering about Kim's condition. Wade needs to rush back to the X-Men's place and Beast requests just one thing from Wade: his liver. Oh, and the biggest spoiler of all: Michael is late with his part of the cable bill. What a magical mooch.

Master the spell that gets you a job, Michael.
    Master the spell that gets you a job, Michael.

Do you share our enthusiasm for the issue? Tell the world how you feel about DEADPOOL #35 and the run in general in the comments section below.

Iragexcudder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Iragexcudder

Spot on. I love this run

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

What a huge breath of fresh air. Prior to the previous arc, Deadpool was at the very top of my pull list every month. But with Original Sin and John Lucas's intolerable art, I simply couldn't enjoy one of my favorite series anymore. The throwback issue was a really nice break from that, but it wasn't until this issue (with Hawthorne and Bellaire's return) that I fell in love with this book again. This write up sums it up perfectly: it's the perfect blend between serious and funny, and we see a ton of character depth going on here. I love how dedicated Wade is not only to his daughter, but to his wife as well. Lesser writers would have had him simply see her as a sexy body, however the co-writers here consistently write him as a pretty decent husband (well, as much as the Merc with a Mouth can be). I can't wait to see where this arc goes, and I have a feeling that the "feels" are just beginning.

murderpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This article/discussion is much needed. Great idea Katz

Now that ending has me concerned. It was already bad enough to have labs involved at the x mansion, but beast saying he needs his organs has me worried that he will experience a "fit"

It is almost exactly what butler and his cronies were doing except its beast (and he doesn't exactly ask nicely) who needs to harvest.

We know wade's mind has been tampered with, it's not at all a great place to be (ask presbot). The psychosis that is deadpool's behavior might have him lose his $#!+ and do something to further entrench himself as the dangerous madman of the marvel universe.

I like to think that wade has begun to get some footing in the friends department,high profile friends at that. His friendship with cap and Logan at the end of good bad ugly was one of the things I desperately wanted to see.

Hank mccoy needs better bedside manner is all I'm saying considering his client

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

I'm so excited for zenpool.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#5 k4tzm4n  Moderator

It is almost exactly what butler and his cronies were doing except its beast (and he doesn't exactly ask nicely) who needs to harvest.

We know wade's mind has been tampered with, it's not at all a great place to be (ask presbot). The psychosis that is deadpool's behavior might have him lose his $#!+ and do something to further entrench himself as the dangerous madman of the marvel universe.

I like to think that wade has begun to get some footing in the friends department,high profile friends at that. His friendship with cap and Logan at the end of good bad ugly was one of the things I desperately wanted to see.

Hank mccoy needs better bedside manner is all I'm saying considering his client

I get where you're coming from and I think that's a possible reaction, but I think Hank's lack of manners and blunt deliver is there to stress just how important and urgent the matter is. Kim's life is seemingly on the line and there's just one thing that can apparently save him, after all.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#6 inferiorego  Staff

This is actually a G-Man idea, tested by the fabulous Gregg.

Fenderxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

I really like the spoiler discussion idea, hope everyone else does to, because I would like to see more. That said, I love seeing Deadpool attempt at being a good father and taking seriously, add in the hilarious dracula and fighting naked ... this issue was a ton of fun!

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@murderpool said:

This is actually a G-Man idea, tested by the fabulous Gregg.

I like this idea as well, I hope to see more in the future.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The unofficial Deadpool week continues! Anyways, havnt read much of his newest series - but with it getting great reviews every where I look, I may have to make a special trip to my local shop today to pick up the trades and get all caught up. Loved Danial Way's run and hoping this lives up to all the hype.

nickxh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still not too keen on the art.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickxh: You don't like Hawethrone's art??

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Transformers1024

@dagmar_merrill: Ive honestly never understood why people didn't like it - I thought it was fun and creative.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@transformers1024: If you've read other Deadpool comics you'd probably realize why. It doesn't really follow past continuity nor does it really further Deadpool as a character much.

I will admit that it is pretty fun.

Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: I've read his 90's stuff, Cable and Deadpool and various of his minis over the years and loved all of those about as much as I did with Way's run. Continuity or character development never bothers me when I read Deadpool as long as I'm getting a creative and funny story.

The only Deadpool story I absolutely cannot read is the Deadpool Corps.

chaos911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has been a really great deadpool run so far huh? I really need to catch up. I mean, I know of most of the major developments so far, but I haven't got the time to actually pick up the issues so I'll probably collect the trades. Oh and I'm gonna say it:I loved Way's run because it was pretty much my first introduction to deadpool. Technically suicide kings was though (or was it prelude to deadpool corps I can't remember that well, I learned of Deadpool through Hulk vs, or was it Marvel Ultimate Alliance? ). My first deadpool memories are hazy at the moment

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Oh kurt...

Btw, im so glad the art has changed. I hate seeing Deadpool drawn and treated like a cartoon.

murderpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How bullish of me. I just assumed without checking cause Katz usually has the dp reviews covered. Much props gman

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.