Follow

Deadpool

Character » Deadpool appears in 3321 issues.

Wade Wilson is a former test subject of the Weapon X program, where he received his regenerative healing factor through the scientific experiments conducted upon him. A prominent enemy, ally and later, member of X-Force. He's famous for breaking the Fourth Wall.

Comic Book Question of the Week Results: Favorite Deadpool Run

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

1993 was a great year and it's not just because Jurassic Park hit theaters. You see, it was also the year Deadpool stopped being a cameo in other books and starred in his own limited-series by Fabian Nicieza and Joe Madureira. Yes, it was only four issues, but it proved the Merc with a Mouth has what it takes to hold his own title (not to mention it introduced one of my favorite lesser-known villains, Slayback). Cut to the present and it's fair to say Wade has become quite a cash cow for Marvel. He's had numerous titles, stuck his lovely face in even more books in Marvel's catalog and now has his very own video game. But we here at Comic Vine wanted to know which Deadpool series is your favorite? After leaving the poll open for two days, the answer is clear: CABLE & DEADPOOL (which was also written by Fabian Nicieza!).

No Caption Provided

CABLE & DEADPOOL taking the prize isn't all that shocking, but I will admit I'm surprised by just how much it took the lead over some other great titles. Lasting fifty hugely entertaining issues, the team-up series never failed to enthrall. Constantly delivering massive laughs, solid visuals, strong chemistry between the leads and some emotionally gripping storylines, CABLE & DEADPOOL isn't just a must read for Deadpool fans -- it's a must read for anyone and everyone. I was tempted to vote for it, but I figured SUICIDE KINGS could use some love and it looks like I was right. Honestly, I'm also amazed the legendary 1997 run didn't receive more votes. Check out the poll results below:

• Cable & Deadpool 31%
    • Deadpool (Current) 23%
    • Deadpool (2008) 13%
    • Deadpool (1997) 9%
    • Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe 6%
    • Deadpool (1993) 4%
    • Deadpool: Suicide Kings 3%
    • Deadpool Corps 2%
    • Deadpool Killustrated 2 %
    • Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth 2%
    • Deadpool (1994) 1%
    • Deadpool MAX 1%
    • Deadpool Pulp 1%
    • Deadpool Team-Up 0%
    • Deadpool: Wade Wilson's War 0%

Do the results surprise you, Viners? Be sure to speak your mind below about the votes in general and which series earned your support. Also, don't forget to check the homepage next Tuesday for an all-new Comic Book Question of the Week!

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I voted current because i love the mixture of comedy and seriousness. But i guess i must read some of that Cable & Deadpool stuff then.

impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

If you haven't read Joe Kelly's run from 1997, I highly recommend checking it out.

The_Scourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Surprised that the current run got so much love and Suicide Kings got close to none

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Daniel Way is who got me interested in Deadpool, loved his take on him

thehood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad to see that Merc with a Mouth and Deadpool Corps got at least SOME votes. No, neither were as good as Way's run which was happening at the same time, but Gischler's Deadpool gets way more hate than it deserves.

Ben_Dover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If 3/4 of you guys that voted read Joe Kelly's run, this poll would have turned out much differently. He laid the foundation for the character, and in my opinion, is a much better writer than most of the others.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I didn't vote. The only one I have read yet is merc with a mouth.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
    Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted current because i love the mixture of comedy and seriousness. But i guess i must read some of that Cable & Deadpool stuff then.

Same here.

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

This proves that pretty much everyone voting either went back and read Cable & Deadpool, or has only been reading since.

There is no way Deadpool: Wade Wilson's War got 0% and Corps got more. Way was the worst thing to happen to Deadpool. I appreciate that the current series is a well-made one, but it's spam to the starving. If this series came out during Kelly's run, or Simone's, or Priest's...it would seem like a joke.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find the lack of respect for Joe Kelly's run disturbing. If you are a fan of the character you would know what I'm talking about.

Avatar image for shallbecomeabattoo
    Shallbecomeabattoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really love the idea of Deadpool, but disliked EVERY solo book of him so far.

When he is part of a team, like Uncanny X-Force or Thunderbolts, he works much better for my taste.

redhood21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its probably his best imo. i thought pulp would have done better :/ i liked it

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Not a surprise at all really. For me the Circle Chase will always be the most interesting Deadpool story, but this was a good winner too!

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cable and Deadpool was awesome!!! and it is a must read for any comic fan!

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jwalser3

LOL Deadpool nothing for team ups

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't vote because I couldn't choose between 1997 and 2008. The Cable part of Cable Deadpool is a bummer for me since anyone from an X-Men future is a huge buzzkill. I get it Nate! The future sucks! I thought the run was good but I needed more Deadpool in my diet when I first read it. I'm loving the current Deadpool but not enough has happened to make it a definitive run.

CuddlyPlane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Way started my love of Deadpool and I've read Pulp, Killustrated, Corps, KtMU and the current... I'm really interested in reading Cable and Deadpool now because of this turnout!

SadiaVicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_mast said:

This proves that pretty much everyone voting either went back and read Cable & Deadpool, or has only been reading since.

There is no way Deadpool: Wade Wilson's War got 0% and Corps got more. Way was the worst thing to happen to Deadpool. I appreciate that the current series is a well-made one, but it's spam to the starving. If this series came out during Kelly's run, or Simone's, or Priest's...it would seem like a joke.

He made Deadpool and Deadpool readers retarded.

He is INDEED the worst thing that happened to Deadpool, EVER.

Avatar image for crimsonalchemist
    CrimsonAlchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't vote but I loved Joe Kellys 97 run was my favorite. Cable & Deadpool winning is pretty cool I really enjoyed that series and it was the one that put me on to Dp.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

I really liked the majority of Cable and Deadpool, but man did it peter out and end on a whimper.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By reignmaker

I'm surprised Joe Kelly's (1997) run wasn't ranked higher. I do think it got more praise from its readership then it actually deserved, but it's still underrated based on the fact that there weren't many people reading it when it came out. In terms of quality I'd say it was a solid 'B' book, but it did a lot in establishing DP's character.

henrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Muadib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started with Daniel Way...but his run with Cable was pretty awesome too

JTKirk101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cable Deadpool is still my favorite series of all time. The new DP series is pretty incredible too

Croi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If 3/4 of you guys that voted read Joe Kelly's run, this poll would have turned out much differently. He laid the foundation for the character, and in my opinion, is a much better writer than most of the others.

Completely. Anything after Cable and Deadpool just doesn't cut it for me.

mavfan626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Classic Deadpool (1997) and Cable and Deadpool are by far my favorite runs of Deadpool, the current series isn't to far behind though.. I like the way Deadpool is depicted in the new series, it's like Way's series never happened and Deadpool returned to his bada$$ self again..

Deadpool Pulp is a great read, I really think it could for another 4 issues or at the least a short run. Suicide King is pretty sweet, when it comes to Deadpool comic it was really well balanced between the humor, action and the storyline...

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

The reason the 1997 Joe Kelly run didn't get more votes was because nobody is aware of it's legendary awesomeness (By nobody I mean all the Deadpool fanboy posers out there).

Also the fact Daniel Way's run got more votes than Joe Kelly's run is disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. If it wasn't for the fact that Gerry and Brian's series and Cable and Deadpool beat Way's series, I'd give up on humanity.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

What I read of Kelly's run was great, I also really liked Deadpool Pulp.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dabee

I loved all of the runs, including Way's run (which gets a terrible wrap, @the_lobster_) People really don't give it enough credit. It's not disgusting just because the votes disagree with you, and talking about 'fanboy posers' certainly doesn't help prove your point.

I really can't remember how I voted, or if I even did, because I loved all the runs. (I do, however, like that the current run printed my letter. :-))

JairamGanpat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I voted for Deadpool Pulp. It was awesome.

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JamDamage

I actually liked Remender's Deadpool from Uncanny X-Force, other then that Kelly's was the best.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The more I think about it, Way did a great job making a Deadpool that uses more prep than any iteration before it. Typically his plans devolve to: guns, ammo, swords, go time. Wade's insane plans in the 2008 series were not only hilarious to read but it also gave him enough of a skillful edge to go toe-to-toe with big wigs like The X-Men, Norman Osborn, Bullseye, and The Hulk. At the same time Joe Kelly made a lot of character defining arcs that gave Deadpool a much darker side while setting the foundation for his inappropriate sense of humor. So Wade was the most interesting in 1997 but he was slightly funnier in 2008. Is it any wonder I couldn't pull the trigger on the vote?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I can't believe the current run beat 2008 by 10%

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@the_lobster_: RIIGHT!!? How dare people have their own opinions...

Just-- FYI; that was sarcasm..

Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

Whoever voted for Corps should be ashamed of themselves. I read the first issue a few days ago and it was the first comic I've read in a long time that I struggled to get through, since the art and story were both so bad.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

The current Deadpool should have gotten a negative percent because it's complete garbage.

EliCrofoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By EliCrofoot

@teerack: Probably because Way's run was absolute garbage. Duggan's run is miles ahead of it.

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ever since joe kelly left ....deadpool SUCKS

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

Cable & Deadpool is probably the greatest run on the character. However, this current run of Deadpool is definitely ringing some bells.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

The current run is great, I always look forward to it.

Hadez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the 97 run is the best one to date

Avatar image for chubbymunchkins
    chubbymunchkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By chubbymunchkins

Not that it really counts as his own series but, I thoroughly enjoyed Deadpool along with the X-Force.

SlamAdams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 59

#45  Edited By SlamAdams

Damn, I missed the poll. Although, despite the awesomeness of Joe Kellys run and Suicide Kings, I probably would have just gone for Cable and Deadpool as well. I thought Remender had an awesome handle on him too in Uncanny X-Force

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

@dabee said:

I loved all of the runs, including Way's run (which gets a terrible wrap, @the_lobster_) People really don't give it enough credit. It's not disgusting just because the votes disagree with you, and talking about 'fanboy posers' certainly doesn't help prove your point.

I really can't remember how I voted, or if I even did, because I loved all the runs. (I do, however, like that the current run printed my letter. :-))

If you look at Way's run more critically you'll realize how bad it is. The numerous plot-holes, the amount of changes to characters with no explanation how they changed, plus Deadpool went from a deeply disturbed interesting character who hides his insecurities through humor.....to just Peter Griffin in a red and black costume. I'd gladly go into more detail, but than I'd be ranting and nobody really reads a rant.

As for the poser comment....If you haven't read the characters best run, than yes you're not a true fan. Can you call yourself a Punisher fan if you haven't read Garth Ennis' stuff? Can you call yourself a Daredevil fan if you haven't read Frank Miller's run? Can you call yourself a Captain America fan if you haven't read Ed Brubaker's run?....No you can't, cause if you don't read a character at it's best, than your appreciating a character at it's worst. Thus you're not a "true" fan.

@the_lobster_: RIIGHT!!? How dare people have their own opinions...

Just-- FYI; that was sarcasm..

Yeah I got that, and I'm not mad at people having different opinions. I'm mad how uninformed they are.......The only people who liked Way's run over anything else are people who as I've said above haven't read Deadpool at his best. They jumped on board after he became popular from the Wolverine movie and Ryan Reynolds and now they claim to know everything about Deadpool and what he really is, even though they've only read the character's worst run.

I'm fine with people having different opinions, and if you like Way's run after reading Joe Kelly's run....that's okay. Heck, even if you haven't read Joe Kelly's run but have read Cable and Deadpool, and still like Way's run....that's fine too. At least you've read Deadpool at his best, and not just him at his worst.

Those are the people, I'm mad at. The people who came on board during Way's run and than claim it was the best thing ever. Without doing their history.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.