Follow

DC Multiverse

Concept » DC Multiverse appears in 1367 issues.

The Multiverse is a pivotal concept in DC Comics. Over the years, it has gone through many changes, and has nearly been destroyed on a few occasions, but always ends up intact.

Is the list wrong??

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By danhimself

Some of the Earths on the list just seem wrong.  Like the list states that Earth One is the home of Silver Age characters but with Superman Earth One released today that just seems wrong.  Also during DC's Young Justice panel at NYCC they stated that the Young Justice animated series was taking place on Earth 16 but the list states that Earth 16 is the home of the Super Sons.

So I've got to ask...is the list wrong?  Where did the information on the list come from?  Is DC already getting their Multiverse locations screwed up?

Here's the list straight from the DC Multiverse page.

EARTH-0 New Earth 
    The main and central DC Universe.
    EARTH-1
    Like Earth- 2, Earth-1 is an near-exact copy of it's pre-crisis self. Home of Silver Age Heroes. First appeared in Trinity #52
    EARTH-2
    The world of a new and unique Justice Society Infinity. The Kal-L of this world is missing. Visited by the New Earth Power Girl.
    EARTH-3
    Home to the Crime Society of America. The Earth-2 to the Anti-Matter Earth's Earth-1- the villains are based on Golden Age heroes. The two may have annual team ups.
    EARTH-4 
    This world appears to house classic Charleton brand comic characters, including Dan Garrett (the original Blue Beetle), and Captain Allen Adam, with added inspiration from Watchmen.
    EARTH-5
    Home to a version of the Marvel Family more similar to the Golden Age incarnation. Similar to the Pre-Crisis Earth-S.
    EARTH-6
    Ray Palmer is the Ray
    EARTH-7
    Courtney Whitmore is Starwoman
    EARTH-8
    Home of Lord Havok and the Extremists . Very similar to the Marvel Universe. Similar to the pre-Crisis world of Angor.
    EARTH-9
    Home of the Tangent heroes. This Earth's history is radically different- the Atom acidentally causes a nuclear war in 1961, and Superman takes over the world later.
    EARTH-10
    Home to Uncle Sam and his Freedom Fighters, who fight against the Nazis after the Nazis win World War II and take over the world. Also home to a Nazi Superman. Similar to the Pre-Crisis Earth-X.
    EARTH-11
    Home of heroes with reversed genders. For example, Superwoman. Batwoman and Wonderman. The Superwoman and Batwoman of this Earth first appeared before the creation of the 52 in Superman/Batman.
    EARTH-12 
    The setting of the DC Animated Universe, which began with Batman: The Animated Series. Home to the Terry McGinnis version of Batman.
    EARTH-13
    World of dark and arcane heroes.
    EARTH-14
    unknown
    EARTH-15
    Perhaps a perfect Earth with Zod as Superman and Jason Todd as Batman.   Destroyed by Superboy-Prime.
    EARTH-16
    Home of the Super Sons.
    EARTH-17
    A devastated world home to the Atomic Knights. Similar to the original Atomic Knights stories.
    EARTH-18
    A world where superheroes began in the Old West.
    EARTH-19
    A world where superheroes such as Batman and the Blue Beetle fought crime in the Victoria era as seen in Gotham by Gaslight.
    EARTH-20
    A world influenced by early 20th century pulp fiction. Home to a Doc Savage/ Dr. Fate pastiche named Doc Fate, as well as a version of the Bat-Man.
    EARTH-21
    A world where superheroes where around in the 1950s. Vigilantism was outlawed in the 1950s before the heroes banded together to fight a sentient island, as seen in The New Frontier.
    EARTH-22
    A world where Superman was exiled after Magog killed the Joker, leading a generation of violent anti-heroes to take over, as seen in Kingdom Come.
    EARTH-23
    unknown
    EARTH-24
    unknown
    EARTH-25
    unknown
    EARTH-26
    Home of Captain Carrot and the Amazing Zoo Crew.
    EARTH-27
    unknown
    EARTH-28
    unknown
    EARTH-29
    unknown
    EARTH-30
    A world where Superman landed in the USSR instead of America, eventually becoming the premier of the USSR, as seen in Red Son.
    EARTH-31
    Home to a violent Batman, a subservient Superman and more, as seen in the Dark Knight Returns and related titles.
    EARTH-32
     The Batman: Darkest Knight earth.
    EARTH-33
    All the heroes are magic; including Oracle, Kal-El and Bat-Mage, and some heroic versions of villains, such as Weather Wizard and Shade.
    EARTH-34
     A world where Wonder Woman was active in the Victorian Era and fought Jack the Ripper, as seen in Amazonia.
    EARTH-35
    unknown
    EARTH-36
    unknown
    EARTH-37 
    A world where Barbara Gordon became Batgirl in the 1960s and fought corrupt cops and a female Joker alongside Robin, as seen in Batman: Thrillkiller.
    EARTH-38
    Captain Atom and the Atomic Knights
    EARTH-39
    Dan Garrett has the Blue Beetle Scarab armor.
    EARTH-40
    A world where superheroes active in the 1940s worked for the US government and were were active against the Nazis, as seen in JSA: The Liberty Files.
    EARTH-41
    unknown
    EARTH-42
    unknown
    EARTH-43
    A world where Batman became a vampire and fought against them, as seen in the Red Rain series.
    EARTH-44
    Doc Tornado and the Metal Men
    EARTH-45
    unknown
    EARTH-46
    unknown
    EARTH-47
    unknown
    EARTH-48 
    Forerunner's homeworld.
    EARTH-49
    Firestorm has turned the sun red.   Superman and Supergirl have to wear Superboy-Prime style armor to keep powers.
    EARTH-50
    The Wildstorm Universe
    EARTH-51 
    The Utopian society. This world was protected by Nix Uotan and destroyed in the battle between Monarch and Superman Prime . The New Gods immigrated here following the Final Crisis.
    EARTH-PRIME
    Home Of Superboy Prime . Revealed in Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds #5. Unlike Earth-2 that created duplicates of its lost inhabitants Earth Prime was missing Superboy Prime.  May be part of the 52 but unrevealed so far.
    ANTI-MATTER EARTH
    Home to the planet Qward, the Anti-Monitor and the Crime Syndicate of Amerika.
    EARTH-247
     Both created and destroyed in Infinite Crisis. Home of the Post Zero Hour Legion of Super-Heroes who survived its destruction. Revealed in Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds #1
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Amegashita

Could be... but those are a lot of worlds to keep track of >.>;

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Magian

The list was released a long time before the announcements of both Earth-One novels and the Young Justice cartoon if I am not mistaken so DC needs to update the list.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Primmaster64

dizzy

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By danhimself

some of the Earths just seem pointless to me as well...like why assign New Frontier an Earth?  I really doubt that they're going to revisit that reality so waste a spot on it

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By danhimself
    @Retro_Metro said:
    " @danhimself said:
    " some of the Earths just seem pointless to me as well...like why assign New Frontier an Earth?  I really doubt that they're going to revisit that reality so waste a spot on it "
    Do you think the unkown earth's count? "
    not yet but I'm sure that Morrison has something planned for a few of them...since DC has said that he gets first shot at them
    RobertG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By RobertG

Earth 16 was origianlly named the Super-Sons Earth a little before Final Crisis.  DC has recently stated that Earth 16 is the new animated Young Justice Earth.  If I remember correctly, that was stated at one of this years ComicCon conventions.  It is a little scary too me that they cannot seem to be able to keep track of their own multiverse better than the fans do.  They should fix this.  There are plenty of unused Earths floating around in the 52 that they can use for the Young Justice Universe.  Or...

Maybe they are one and the same.  The Superman of Earth-16 (Christopher Kent) was seen in the Countdown: Arena mini series.  He was also killed in that series.  It is possible that the Young Justice series also shares the Earth, but DC probably just screwed up.     
    I beleive the original plan was to make Earth-1 like the silver age, but it was changed to the new Superman: Earth One concept to go head to head with Marvels Ultimate Universe.  There is also a Batman: Earth One planned, and hopefully a follow up book for both.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By danhimself

you know what else bothers me?  how does the 52 work if there's a Marvel crossover?  Does this mean that the Marvel Universe is part of the 52?  If it is then how does Marvel's Multiverse fit in with that?  Maybe I'm thinking about this too much

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Mercy_
    @danhimself said:
    " you know what else bothers me?  how does the 52 work if there's a Marvel crossover?  Does this mean that the Marvel Universe is part of the 52?  If it is then how does Marvel's Multiverse fit in with that?  Maybe I'm thinking about this too much "
    You are. xP
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By danhimself
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @danhimself said:
    " you know what else bothers me?  how does the 52 work if there's a Marvel crossover?  Does this mean that the Marvel Universe is part of the 52?  If it is then how does Marvel's Multiverse fit in with that?  Maybe I'm thinking about this too much "
    You are. xP "
    you were of no help what so ever
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Mercy_
    @danhimself said:
    " @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @danhimself said:
    You are. xP "
    you were of no help what so ever "
    It's my specialty. xP But I do agree with what you said, I don't see how they would be able to integrate universes were they to ever do another crossover. Well, Marvel could do it rather easily, give it a random number and they'll be all set. It would be much harder for DC who has 52 somewhat definitive universes.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By danhimself
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @danhimself said:
    " @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @danhimself said:
    You are. xP "
    you were of no help what so ever "
    It's my specialty. xP But I do agree with what you said, I don't see how they would be able to integrate universes were they to ever do another crossover. Well, Marvel could do it rather easily, give it a random number and they'll be all set. It would be much harder for DC who has 52 somewhat definitive universes. "
    I think they were worried about another pre Crisis situation happening but that's easily prevented if you just use the multiverse concept sparingly like Marvel does....I mean Marvel has an infinite number of alternate realities but they don't really flood the market with books about them...sure they've got the Ultimate, Marvel Superhero, and now the MCU...but the books taking place in those universes are easily identifiable
    The Qu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By The Qu

@danhimself:  I wrote the article myself, consulting Wikipedia and its sources for information. At the time, the young Justice announcement hadn't been made, and Earth-One hasn't ever been said to take place on Earth-One. In fact, I'm pretty sure DC has actually said things to the opposite of that effect. So, from what I can tell, it's  (Currently) correct.

RobertG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RobertG
    @The Qu:
    So why call Superman: Earth One ,  "Earth One"?  Seems clear cut by the name that this would be the current version of Earth-1.  Is DC trying they're very hardest to confuse everyone? 

I also would guess that Young Justice takes place on Earth-12, not Earth-16.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By danhimself
    @RobertG said:
    " @The Qu: So why call Superman: Earth One ,  "Earth One"?  Seems clear cut by the name that this would be the current version of Earth-1.  Is DC trying they're very hardest to confuse everyone?  I also would guess that Young Justice takes place on Earth-12, not Earth-16. "
    Earth-12 is where Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, Superman: TAS, Batman: TAS, and Batman Beyond all took place....DC has stated that Young Justice takes place on Earth 16

@The Qu:   and like RobertG said....why would they call it Superman: Earth One if it wasn't taking place on Earth One?

I'm pretty sure that there is no Silver Age Earth after COIE and Infinite Crisis
    Avatar image for theworldbreaker
    Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Theworldbreaker

Good thing they dont have a list of used Universes that Marvel does. 

Intrestingly enough though, Marvel has a Universe for JLA/Avengers in their Multiverse list but DC does not. hmmm....
    RobertG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RobertG
    @danhimself:  

On the current (updated) DC Multiverse concept page, this is what it says about earth one: 

EARTH-1
    Mentioned several times, but as of yet unseen.

Please note the Earth One graphic novels do not take place on this Earth, or any currently numbered Earth

When is Earth 1 mentioned several times?  When did DC say the Earth One graphic novel was not part of the 52?  Where did this info come from?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By danhimself
    @RobertG:  I don't see how anyone could possibly say that the Earth One books don't take place on Earth One....that's just ridiculous
    The Qu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The Qu
    @danhimself:  There is still a Silver Age. Crisis is the middle point of the timeline, roughly, taking place about five./six years ago, with about five years before that. Dick Greyson is an easy way to gauge this, as he had became Nightwing quite recently, and has aged a few years since then. He was 12 when he became Robin, and roughly 20 or so when he became Nightwing, meaning about 10 years t the least have passed. Numerous things from the Silver Age have been referenced as well, albeit in tweaked ways. Check out Morrison's Batman run, for one. The Silver Age Flash seems largly intact, as does Green Lantern, aside from tweaking Hal's origin. Superman is the only character to truly have a different story post-Crisis, as he was rebooted earnestly.

As for Earth-One, it looks like I might be wrong. I can't find a cite from DC saying it isn't on Earth-One, nor one that says it is- the closest is just saying it IS on one of the EArths. I swear I remember them saying it was distinctly not on Earth-One, and it certainly isn't the Earth-One frmo Trinity.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By danhimself
    @The Qu said:
    " @danhimself:  There is still a Silver Age. Crisis is the middle point of the timeline, roughly, taking place about five./six years ago, with about five years before that. Dick Greyson is an easy way to gauge this, as he had became Nightwing quite recently, and has aged a few years since then. He was 12 when he became Robin, and roughly 20 or so when he became Nightwing, meaning about 10 years t the least have passed. Numerous things from the Silver Age have been referenced as well, albeit in tweaked ways. Check out Morrison's Batman run, for one. The Silver Age Flash seems largly intact, as does Green Lantern, aside from tweaking Hal's origin. Superman is the only character to truly have a different story post-Crisis, as he was rebooted earnestly.  As for Earth-One, it looks like I might be wrong. I can't find a cite from DC saying it isn't on Earth-One, nor one that says it is- the closest is just saying it IS on one of the EArths. I swear I remember them saying it was distinctly not on Earth-One, and it certainly isn't the Earth-One frmo Trinity. "
    they've referenced those stories yes and some of them are in continuity now and that's mostly because of Morrison being allowed to do whatever he wants but the Earth One is no longer the same Earth One from before and again why would they call the books Earth One if it took place on another Earth?  it's obvious that DC has already screwed up their numbering or your list is screwed up...one of the two....Earth 16 can't be the Young Justice Earth and the Super Sons Earth and the new Earth One books are anything but Silver Age stories
    The Qu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The Qu

Earth-16 is the Young Justice Earth- new information superceeds old information. And it was never the Super Sons Earth at all- it was the Earth with the zen Superman from Countdown Arena.

I'll conede the Earth-One point for now, but I'm right on all other counts.Trust me, I double checked on  a few different sites and checked most of the comics myself.

And you are correct- New Earth is not the old Earth-One. But a story is in canon unless newer stories contradict it- the best option. Sure, that leaves out most Silver Age Superman and a good chunk of Batman, but Justice League, Flash, Green Lantern, Atom, and others- all have their Silver Age in continuity.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.