Follow

DC Multiverse

Concept » DC Multiverse appears in 1367 issues.

The Multiverse is a pivotal concept in DC Comics. Over the years, it has gone through many changes, and has nearly been destroyed on a few occasions, but always ends up intact.

DC Has Two God's By The Name Of Zeus

Avatar image for darkknight96000
    darkknight96000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By darkknight96000

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    So anybody know makes them different from each other?
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#2  Edited By cbishop

Poor editing. :^/

~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By ~The Wanderer~

The first is the Olympian Zeus, married to Hera, father of Athena, Artemis, Ares, etc.  King of the gods in Greco-Roman mythology.
    The second is " Zeus" in name only, and is king of the " Gods of Magic", a more obscure group of beings that borrow their powers to the current Shazam (Freddy Freeman).  Some of them (Zeus, Apollo, Mercury, Hercules, Atlas, Achilles) share the names/titles and domains of their Greco-Roman counterparts.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cbishop
    @~The Wanderer~:
    I think the CV info is wrong on the "Gods of Magic" Zeus.  Either that, or Trials of Shazam (T/S) got it wrong.  Shazam asked the gods for powers for Captain Marvel, and they gave it.  Why would there be another being out there named Zeus?  My understanding from T/S was actually that these were the forms these characters were wearing today, not that they were different characters.  They're just never going to be able to justify including Solomon with the gods, but they keep convoluting the story to try.
    ~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ~The Wanderer~
    @cbishop: 

No Caption Provided

/Trials of Shazam #2.
     /Trials of Shazam #2.

To not mention, the Olympian Zeus has appeared a couple of times since Trials of Shazam (in Wonder Woman), and looks and behaves nothing likes Magic-Zeus.
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cbishop

@~The Wanderer~:
    Well, okay, I have been wrong before, and apparently, this is me being wrong again. lol   

...I still think that's bad writing though.  To me, that's the writer saying, "I couldn't make the powers of Shazam work with the Zeus we already have at DC, so let me really eff things up with this explanation."  I will say this though: if I had to pick between the two, I like the T/S version better.  I would rather see some kind of explanation along the lines of the DC Greek gods taking on new forms (for whatever reason). 

Thanks for settin' me straight tho'. ;)

~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ~The Wanderer~
    @cbishop: 
    LOL, Trials of Shazam was written by Judd Winnick after all, so some poor writing is to be expected.
    I do think however that this was probably the one explanation that could make the most sense while still keeping the iconic names and not messing up Wonder Woman's continuity.
    No problem. xD 
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cbishop
    @~The Wanderer~:
    Y'know what?  I can hate on the writing, but not the writer. lol   I've just never been able to do that - maybe because I'd like to get into writing full time myself.  Every time I start seeing a pile up of negativity towards one writer, I start running across stuff of theirs that I really liked.  Every writer's going to have their weakness (although Erik Larsen and Robert Kirkman may be exceptions to that statement [gee, wonder who my favorite comic writers are]), but even tho' I hate something like this Zeus explanation, this kind of convoluted claptrap is sometimes necessary, when you have years of comic history working against you.  I supposed he did alright with what he had.  I don't totally like it, but like I said, I like his Zeus better than the one associated with Wonder Woman. <shrugs>

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.