Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

So I found this petition... Decided to post it because why not?

Avatar image for captainomnitron
    CaptainOmnitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CaptainOmnitron

"DC Comics has been keeping the character of Billy Batson AKA Shazam AKA former Captain Marvel under the name Shazam since 2011. While I understand the lack of rights to the NAME Captain Marvel as Marvel Comics holds the trademark rights for it, DC Comics has alternatively used the name Captain Thunder for alternate versions of Billy Batson for decades and for some reason has chosen NOT to market him under that name. The name Shazam makes things needlessly confusing for people as over the years dozens of cartoons and comics have made it clear his name is NOT Shazam, but the word he says to turn into a superhero.

I feel using the name Shazam is just making this mistake all the more prevalent and with DC Rebirth underway and rectifying mistakes of the New 52 I feel this is a mistake that can be fixed, to make Captain Thunder the new permanent name for Billy Batson as a superhero. The name Shazam only makes things confusing and harder for characters like Mary Batson AKA Mary Marvel and Freddy Freeman AKA Captain Marvel Jr. A simple one letter change would be all that is needed to rectify this. I hope if this catches Mr. Johns eye that he will at least consider trying to make the change. I am not asking for a miracle, I just want to see my favorite DC hero get the attention and respect he deserves."

https://www.change.org/p/geoff-johns-rename-shazam-to-captain-thunder-for-dc-rebirth

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

No, that would be just as bad

They can still call him Captain Marvel (and should) just not on the cover of comics or other merchandise/extended media

(feel like now's a good time to go back to my old user av)

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@captainmarvel4ever: That still won't work. Frankly, I want him to be called Captain Marvel as badly as you do. However, you say not on the cover and merchandise?

So on the cover and merchandises labels it says "Shazam" and in the comic book pages he's called Capt. marvel.

Dude tthats even more confusing lol

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto: Not really

Loading Video...

Lot's of other series do the same

Besides, in my eyes it's not just about Billy, it's about him, the Marvel Family, The Wizard Shazam, Sivana, the Monster Society of Evil, Black Adam, and any other corresponding Earth-S characters

So the power of SHAZAM itself works fine to encapsulate all of that mythos

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

haha bit of a useless petition tbh, doesn't matter what they call him unless they market him or feature him in actual stories.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By kidchipotle

@captainmarvel4ever said:

No, that would be just as bad

They can still call him Captain Marvel (and should) just not on the cover of comics or other merchandise/extended media

(feel like now's a good time to go back to my old user av)

The only thing I find problematic is the merchandise, how would they inform people his name is Captain Marvel if it can't be on the box?

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidchipotle: Dosen't matter, it's not brand recognition that matters, it's the character and the message

Besides, if he really does go places then it'll catch on. Most many major series (shows, movies, games etc.) out there aren't named after the lead character

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kidchipotle

@kidchipotle: Dosen't matter, it's not brand recognition that matters, it's the character and the message

Besides, if he really does go places then it'll catch on. Most many major series (shows, movies, games etc.) out there aren't named after the lead character

Yeah but their name is still shown on the box in some form. For example, Legend of Zelda is obviously about Link but his name isn't in the title. So on a toy box, the logo would read Legend of Zelda but somewhere it would inform you the characters actual name is Link. If they can't do that for the Marvel family, that would still severely confuse people.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidchipotle: Yeah but that's a very minor detail

Yes, merchandising and toys is where the money is for comics and movies, but even so it's still a very minor hurdle

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainomnitron: How would this be less confusing ?

Also have you read the New52 origin story for Billy Batson/Shazam! ? It is pretty clear. He doesn't aquire powers given by the wizard Shazam!, he inherit the powers and becomes the wizard's successor.

New52 was a reboot, so I don't find that strange that his name got changed.

But now that Rebirth in here, it would be logic that he reclaims his original name. For it to change again would be incoherent. And Captain Marvel is a much cooler name than Captain Thunder.

laughingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be okay with Captain Thunder. Sounds better than Captain Marvel anyways.

Avatar image for captainomnitron
    CaptainOmnitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Empirical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They chose shazam because it was the most popular name associated with the character since they couldn't use the name cap marvel anymore. Kids that don't read comics even used to call him shazam before dc changed his name. Captain Thunder sounds silly to me but maybe it's becsuse I don't hear it as much as Cap Marvel. Tbh this petition is a waste of effort, nothing is going to come out of it.

@captainomnitron: but captain shazam makes the same amount of sense as captain deadpool

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it

LordOfFate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if the could get away with calling the title Billy Bastion as Captain Marvel or Captain Marvel Earth's Mightiest Mortal or Red Marvel or Captain Thunderbolt or Marvelous.

Aimless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly I got used to the name Shazam quite quickly and they should just stick with it now.

Shazam has been his name for a while now so changing it again is just going to cause even more confusion.Plus new readers know him as just Shazam so it'll be alright as time progresses

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But Shazam is awesome!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.