Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

New 52's 5th wave: your own cancellations and announcements

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Stormbox
    Avatar image for spidermonkey2099
    spidermonkey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By spidermonkey2099

Well, I don't know what books need to be cancelled, but I would love to see a book that features Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown. Perhaps Black Bat and Spoiler could be the Batman and Robin of Hong Kong?

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Stormbox

@spidermonkey2099 said:

Well, I don't know what books need to be cancelled, but I would love to see a book that features Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown. Perhaps Black Bat and Spoiler could be the Batman and Robin of Hong Kong?

Well for every announcement in dc theres a cancellation (to keep with the name "the new 52")

For your title i could see cancelled batman and robin (or change the focus of the title) or batman the dark knight since both titles are redundant with batman and detective comics around

Avatar image for spidermonkey2099
    spidermonkey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By spidermonkey2099

@Stormbox:

I could see them possibly canceling batman the dark knight, as from what I hear it's the weakest the batman titles, but I don't think they'll be canceling Batman and Robin anytime soon.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Squalleon

i would cancel Batman the dark knight,the ravagers,legion lost,The Fury of Firestorm!

DC has to concentrate on the foundations of its universe before it expands it.

Plus the bat family has to many titles

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By SmashBrawler

@Squalleon said:

i would cancel Batman the dark knight,the ravagers,legion lost,The Fury of Firestorm!

Legion Lost has already been cancelled.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By SupBatz

Definitely cut Batman: The Dark Knight. The title itself just is unnecessary with Batman and Detective Comics both around. In it's place I'd love to see a sort of Bat-family "team-up" book. It goes arc by arc showcasing Batman teaming up with different members of the Bat-family (or maybe not even showing Batman, perhaps team ups between different Bat-family members). We seldom get to see Batman and Batgirl team up or Robin and Batgirl so that'd be a cool opportunity. That or (as someone suggested above) reintroduce Stephanie Brown and Cass Cain in its place.

I'd also say cut Suicide Squad and Birds of Prey just because I really dislike the directions and writing choices. That or get new writers for each.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By Squalleon

@SmashBrawler: yeah i looked it up after i wrote it,i wasn't sure thats why i wrote it

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SmashBrawler

As much as I'd like to see both B&R/BTDK and Batman Inc (after Morrison leaves) go, I'll keep as realistic as I can my unrealistic expectations.

Cancellations:

• The Fury of Firestorm: The Nuclear Man
    • Worlds' Finest

Announcements:

• Doom Patrol (by Jeff Lemire)
    • R.E.B.E.L.S. (by Tony Bedard)

...and that's all I've got for now LOL.

Catsnlynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Catsnlynne

How many waves are there and when is the next wave?

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Stormbox

@Catsnlynne said:

I dont know, this is just speculation

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By TheCrowbar

The Cutting Board:

1.) Red Lanterns

2.) Green Lantern Corps( I don't know the sales, but I've never picked up an issue)

3.) Ravagers

4.) Fury of Firestorm

5.) World's Finest

Replacements:

1.) Cyborg: Measure of a Man. A comic devoted to the issue of what it means to be human, and the internal battle of man and machine on the back drop of helping organize the rest of the heroes of Earth into a more cohesive response force.

2.) Doom. A villainous response to the Justice League, what happens when a bunch of B-listers get together to try to commit crimes but as a team. Now what happens when they steal from the wrong bank in the wrong city and are in the fight of their lives against cops and one of the biggest crime lords in the DCU<Insert someone new here>.

3.) Powergirl with Amanda Conners, Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmoitti because I SAID SO.

4.) Birds of Prey: Staring Cassandra Cain (Black Bat), Stephanie Brown (Spoiler) and their mentor Black Canary. An all female book with street level characters using their wits and skills to survive in a city where metahuman crime is rampant.

5.) Static Shock: I'm sorry we had a dumb editor, please forgive us. Because seriously,we need less monstrous black men and more normal human african american heroes, like Static.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Sovereign91001

@TheCrowbar: BOP already exists, why would DC relaunch a title already in continuity?

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Sovereign91001 said:

@TheCrowbar: BOP already exists, why would DC relaunch a title already in continuity?

Does it? I've never seen it on the shelf. Anyway it can be named "Girls of Gotham"(Because I have no idea what I'd call it now) but I'd like to see more female teams in DC.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Sovereign91001

@TheCrowbar: Yep, Black Canary, Katana, (Formerly) Poison Ivy, Batgirl, Starling and A Talon (upcoming). Agreed, more female teams would be awesome.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By Supreme Marvel

Not really bothered about cancelling comics. If I read more, then I might say which should be cancelled. I'd rather have good stories out than books that sell well. If it were up to me, I would make sure the ones I picked had good creative writers.

I'd like these

• Red Robin/Black Bat - Written by Ed Brubaker
    • Shazam - Written by Geoff Johns
    • New Gods - Written by Grant Morrison
    • Spectre - Written by Bill Willingham
    • Lex Luthor - Written by Paul Cornell
    the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By the_tree

Cancel:

• The Fury of Firestorm: The Nuclear Men
    • Catwoman
    • Legion of Superheroes
    • The Ravagers
    • Red Lanterns

Add:

• WildC.A.T.s- Written by Adam Beechen, art by Jim Lee
    • Red Robin - Written by Fabian Nicieza, art by Marcus To
    • Shazam - Written by Geoff Johns, art by Gary Frank
    • Booster Gold - Written by Keith Giffen, art by Mike Norton
    • Cyborg - Written by John Rozum, art by Ivan Reis
    Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By Saren

Cancel TDK and start a Martian Manhunter ongoing, cancel Ravagers and start a New Gods/Fourth World ongoing, cancel Red Lanterns (face it, that book is now basically 22 pages of Atrocitus dealing with his RAAAAAGE every month) and start a Damian Wayne/Robin ongoing, cancel Firestorm and start a Spectre/Shazam/Power Girl ongoing.

If Superboy's title continues to be 22 pages of him moping about how angsty he is every month, cancel that sh!t too.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By arnoldoaad

Cancellations

-The Fury of Firestorm: The Nuclear Men (lol, no one likes this title at all)

-DCU Presents

-Savage Hawkman

-Deathstroke

Add

-The Brave and the Bold to replace DCUP, but here is the thing not by one writer but 2 writers and the same writers of the main stories, so for example if Batman/Green Lantern team up then Scott Snyder/Geoff Johns would write it, or Flash/Green Arrow by Lemire and Manapul & Buccelano , and it would be mostly 1-3 issues storylines so that would make well written stories by good creative teams that at the same time will help the whole integration of the DCU and it would be easier to produce than solos, just very quick crossovers.

- Kidflash by Nicieza and Marcus To, i would love RR to return but lets give Bart Allen a chance

- Doom Patrol by Matt Kindt

-R.E.B.E.L.S. by Tony Berard (I MISS THIS ;_;, This was LSH done right)

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Billy Batson

Cancel Constantine and replace it with Hellblazer.
    BB

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Loki9876

cancel Deathstroke, Savage Hawkman, the Red Lanterns.

Shazam by Geoff

Somebody said this I don't remeber who it was a book with Tim Drake, Jason Todd, Dick Grayson and Damien Wayne

Blue Beetle and Booster Gold

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#22  Edited By RazzaTazz

Doom Patrol would be cool, also a return of Showcase

Catsnlynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Catsnlynne

Keep: 
    Earth 2 
    Green Arrow 
    Flash 
    Savage Hawkman 
    Stormwatch 
    Demon Knights 
    Bring back: 
    Captain Atom 
    Cancel: 
    Legends of The Dark Knight 
    Batgirl 
    Batman 
    Batman and Robin 
    Superboy 
    Batwoman 
    Birds of Prey 
    Catwoman 
    Supergirl 
    Sword of Sorcery 
    Wonder Woman 
    Batman Beyond Unlimited 
    Batman Incorporated 
    Batman The Dark Knight 
    Superman 
    Batman Arkham Unhinged

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Eternal19

@SmashBrawler said:

As much as I'd like to see both B&R/BTDK and Batman Inc (after Morrison leaves) go, I'll keep as realistic as I can my unrealistic expectations.

Cancellations:

• Worlds' Finest

Announcements:

You want DC to get rid of batman and robin? Why? I know it hasnt been the greatest book lately, but I feel its a neccesary book in the batman franchise. Even more important than Detective Comics

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SmashBrawler

@Eternal19 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

Cancellations:

• Worlds' Finest

Announcements:

You want DC to get rid of batman and robin? Why? I know it hasnt been the greatest book lately, but I feel its a neccesary book in the batman franchise. Even more important than Detective Comics

I disagree. If it was so important, it would have been around way longer. They can always put Damian somewhere else. Plus, I only want them to get rid of one Batman book, and Batman: The Dark Knight would be my instant choice. I only put B&R up there for the sake of completism.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Eternal19

@SmashBrawler said:

@Eternal19 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

Cancellations:

• Worlds' Finest

Announcements:

I disagree. If it was so important, it would have been around way longer. They can always put Damian somewhere else. Plus, I only want them to get rid of one Batman book, and Batman: The Dark Knight would be my instant choice. I only put B&R up there for the sake of completism.

ya they could put him somewhere else, but he would end up probably being a side character like he is in Scott Snyder's current batman series, where he only shows up for comic relief or to show how immature he is. Robin is such an important character in the batman mythos that he deserves a starring role in a batman book. Which is why I was happy when DC announced that they were going to do a Batman and Robin book.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SmashBrawler

@Eternal19 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@Eternal19 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

Cancellations:

• Worlds' Finest

Announcements:

ya they could put him somewhere else, but he would end up probably being a side character like he is in Scott Snyder's current batman series, where he only shows up for comic relief or to show how immature he is. Robin is such an important character in the batman mythos that he deserves a starring role in a batman book. Which is why I was happy when DC announced that they were going to do a Batman and Robin book.

Fair enough.

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Stormbox

@Catsnlynne said:

Keep: Earth 2 Green Arrow Flash Savage Hawkman Stormwatch Demon Knights Bring back: Captain Atom Cancel: Legends of The Dark Knight Batgirl Batman Batman and Robin Superboy Batwoman Birds of Prey Catwoman Supergirl Sword of Sorcery Wonder Woman Batman Beyond Unlimited Batman Incorporated Batman The Dark Knight Superman Batman Arkham Unhinged

Lol a bit overkill dont you think?

Btw thats not how waves work. They usually cancel 5-6 titles and replace them with new titles, to keep the name "the new 52"

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29  Edited By TheOptimist

@Stormbox: I decided to take this from a little bit more of a sales-analysis view.

The titles I would see as at all potential risk would be those that fall below the Top 100 sales mark, which for some time was actually a consistent indicator of those series that would be cancelled within a year (those series would also remain at the 100 breakpoint for at least 3 months in a row and then begin to dip further down). 17 series become eligible under that criteria. I would disqualify Team 7 and Sword of Sorcery from consideration for this wave cut, but not for future cuts. The remaining titles are (in lowest sales order): Firestorm, I Vamp, DCUP, Hawkman, Deathstroke, Demon Knights, Batwing, Stormwatch, LOSH, Ravagers, Dial H, All Star Western, Green Arrow, Superboy and Birds of Prey. Of those, I would eliminate Demon Knights & Green Arrow from consideration, based on February creative change indications (and possibly Birds of Prey, because of hints of creative change upcoming there, as well as Legion, due to the reteaming of Levitz & Giffen which may be afforded cushion). Thus follows:

Highly Likely: Fury of Firestorm, Savage Hawkman, DC Universe Presents, Deathstroke

All four of these titles were in the lowest sales bracket, have had the largest drops over 6 months (DCUP excepting) and the largest annual drops. FoF, Hawkman & Deathstroke were also 3 out of 4 of the lowest selling trades released (DCUP has not released yet, the other 1 of the 4 lowest selling trades was LOSH). All 4 have received multiple creative changes, including a round in October.

Possible: Stormwatch, Batwing, I Vampire

Expectations for Stormwatch were higher than it has been reaching. Batwing is the lowest of the Bat titles, but isn't truly tanked right now, and I Vampire surely has held up far better than it was expected to do. Stormwatch has dropped a lot over the past year... Batwing a lot over the past few months... and I Vampire has consistently hung in the bottom bracket... but any of these 3 could truly go either way in this turn. A tie-in opportunity could delay death, a slower drop in November could prove a saving grace and editorial interest might at least allow them to ride out to the point of reaching a natural story conclusion (a pat on the back, let's wrap kinda mentality). All 3 fall in the bottom 3rd of collection sales, but aren't that far off from the likes of Green Lantern: New Guardians or Supergirl.

Unlikely: Dial H, Ravagers

They're both dropping in sales, and the drops are still pretty pronounced... but the sales expectations on them probably aren't that heavy, and I would call it premature to drop them now. Maybe next wave, but not really all that much of a chance today.

Highly Unlikely: Superboy, All Star Western

Both might be under the Top 100 but have maintained sales relatively well over a long term. They might be cancelled, but not until 2014 (and there are boosts ops along the way).

As Far As Replacements Go:

Sales Wise, prior books that held up relatively well: Superman/Batman, Brave & the Bold, JSA (I know, E-2, but shh.), Booster Gold, Robin/Red Robin, Secret Six, Power Girl, Zatanna, Confidential-Style Books

Creative Wise I'd Love to See: Cyborg, Lois Lane, Joker & Luthor, Shazam, Justice League Task Force, a growth of core franchises like: Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman

A Final Note: None of these cancellations are "suggestions" or what I want... I'm rather fond of some of those books, most especially I, Vampire, which I would plead to save if possible... but I think it is sometimes more reasonable to look at sales data to make a conclusion (ex: cancellation of Justice League & Batman? Not likely right now)

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By tupiaz

@Catsnlynne said:

At the moment the fourt wave is on its way and will be put in from January to March. When the next wave comes nobody knows, but it will be there it is a never ending thing. However a pretty smart more to make your rooster of comics new and fresh.

If Green Arrow don't pick up sales I think it will get cut.

Hklb95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hklb95

dc comics has already announced i vampire and dcup to be canceled

the other three that i would cancel are:

Savage Hawkman, Batwing, birds of prey

adds:

Impulse- bring back wally west as impulse

Kid flash- Bart Allen

Blue and Gold- blue beetle and booster gold

Man Hunter- about martian manhuner

Another young justice comic- another team comic, the group is becoming to small

Scout36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Scout36

CANCEL:

1.Firestorm

2.I, Vampire

3. Sword of Sorcery

4. Team 7

5. Dial H

New titles:

1.ROBIN, THE BOY WONDER

2. THE DARK KNIGHT CHRONICLES

3. FLASH FORWARD (NEW FLASH TITLE)

4. TITANS

5. BOOSTER GOLD: HERO OF TOMORROW

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By slade_wilson

Cancel:

• Stormwatch
    • Firestorm
    • Birds of Prey
    • World's Finest
    • Superboy

Announce:

• Shazam!
    • New Gods
    • Red Robin
    • Doom Patrol
    • Deathstroke: An Eye for an Eye (Limited 5 issue series, Deathstroke throws down against Warlord!)
    Backflip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34  Edited By Backflip

Cancel

- Fury of Firestorm

- The Ravagers

- World's Finest

- Dial H

- Batwing

- Hawkman

- Batman: The Dark Knight

- Red Lanterns

Announce

- Shazam! by Geoff Johns/Gary Frank

- Martian Manhunter by ....No idea atm :P

- Red Robin by Fabian Nicieza

- Batgirls (Team up book of Black Bat and Stephanie Brown) by Bryan Q Miller

- Power Girl by Amanda Conners

- New Gods by Grant Morrison

- Doom Patrol by Grant Morrison

- Luthor By Paul Cornell

LifePool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LifePool

Cancel:

• Stormwatch
    • Firestorm
    • Batman: The Dark Knight (one less Bat book for me to pick up)
    • World's Finest
    • Superboy

Announce:

• DC Team-Up (Lovin' A+X!)
    • WildC.A.T.S.
    • Cyborg (don't care for the character or JL, but all the other members have a solo, so he should aswell)
    • Secret Six (oh, please God)
    • Rogues' Gallery (a book featuring DC villains... being villainous)
    Hauntsalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hauntsalot

They should cancel these titles in my opinion:

The Fury of Firestorm

Hawkman

Batman: The Dark Knight

Batman and Robin

World's Finest

Dial H (I really don't understand the point of this comic in terms of development)

Sword of Sorcery (which I think may have already been canceled)

(There is just too much Batman, with Damien dead there is no need in carrying on the B & R title even though it appears that "Harper" is the new Stephanie Brown. She can make appearances in Batman Inc. and Birds of Prey.)

The next wave should be:

The Spectre

Martian Manhunter

Captain Marvel vs. Black Adam (I really don't know why they haven't done this yet. With the current hype behind Shazaam this title may outsell everything but the Batman titles)

Doom Patrol

Sandman Mystery Theatre

It would also be nice to see a few new teams but not JUSTICE LEAGUERS

There should be a team title with: Deathstroke, Grifter, Red Hood (who should perhaps leave the Batman thing for now, he doesn't really belong there), The Crimson Avenger, and Arsenal.

Another team should consist of the lesser known DCU and really it could be called "The Lesser Knowns" or for the continuation of Justice League call it "Justice League of America: B-Squadron" featuring: Blue Devil, Red Tornado, Ragman, Black Condor, and some other lesser knowns.

If they do a Legion of Doom I really hope they don't focus on the main villains of the universe like Solomon Grundy, Joker, Lex Luthor, etc. I would really like to see someone like Kobra or even perhaps The Black Mask or even Black Adam or Zoom.

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cancel a batman title or two

Bring in a book exploring the quirky or darker side of DC. We need another magic based series. Or one in the far flung reaches of space that DOES NOT HAVE LANTERN on its name or a Challengers from the Beyond, dimension hopping book kinda like the new X-Treme X-men. It would be a great way to reintroduce Wally, Donna and co. and still give them a purpose. Maybe a younger generation/ legacy character team up book (though they're not really "legacies" anymore considering half of them haven't MET) but not Teen Titans. They could go the YJ animated team but in actual comic continuity

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cancel:

Red Lanterns

World's Finest

Katana

Bring on:

Titans (Nightwing-led young adult team. Bring back an older Ms Martian and Aqualad) by Kyle Higgins

Cyborg by Scott Snyder (Dude can establish mad lore for him)

New Gods by James Robinson

GCPD by James Tynion IV

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.