Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

New 52 flash or aquaman?

MarcoKoblinsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I wanna buy the TBPs of one of them but can't decide. Do you guys have any advices? I've read the Batman and all green lantern family runs and loved them.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never read Flash, but I loved Johns Aquaman and even when Bunn took over I thought it was ok.

MyNameIsChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The art on Flash is great for the first 4 trades but new 52 Aquaman under Johns was pretty great art and story. If I could only have one it would be Aquaman.

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I think both are good to be picked up in trades, but my decision has to go to Aquaman.

N52 Flash: Good, great art, but at times confusing plot. My favorite trade is volume 3.

N52 Aquaman: Stunning art, wonderful "reinvention" and instantly tells the reader why Aquaman isn't lame.

Avatar image for thecapeddetective
    TheCapedDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Aquaman. I used to think of him as an ordinary character but Johns' run made him more badass.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aquaman for sure. I find Flash to be incredibly boring. It also became the show for a couple issues.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd argue Aquaman.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd pick Aquaman. More consistent and better story imo. Although the Manapuls art on Flash is very hard to pass up and I really loved Gorilla Warfare.

Both are worth your money in the long run, but for now I'd go Aquaman.

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By apokos7
    • Aquaman. The first four volumes (by Geoff Johns with Ivan Reis and Paul Pelletier) are amazing in both story and art. Then, Jeff Parker takes over from Geoff Johns for volumes 5-6. Volume five is a little weaker focusing on minor stories some of which are not that entertaining (and some fill-in artists that ruin the consistency of the book), still a fine read though, but volume six is really great and up there with the first four. Volume seven (by Cullen Bunn with Trevor McCarthy) is not that good in both story and art and you should probably avoid it. Dan Abnett takes over for volume eight (out later this year) and restores Aquaman to his former glory. He is also the writer of the current Rebirth Aquaman series and the final New 52 volume is a soft lead-in to that so you should definitely check it out.
    • Flash. The first four volumes (by Brian Buccellato and Francis Manapul) are amazing in both story and art (although the story could sometimes be a bit more consistent). Volume five is sort of a filler between the former creative team leaving the book and the one coming after. It features a standalone issue which is ok, a team-up with Green Lantern which is fine and a really enjoyable three part story (by Buccellato with Patrick Zircher). So, you could get that or not. Robert Venditti (Green Lantern writer) and Van Jensen with Brett Booth take over for volumes 6-8 (volume eight comes in 2-3 weeks). I really like those issues, volumes six and seven are basically one big story and volume eight stands on its own. Then Robert Venditti and Brett Booth left the book for its final volume, volume 9 (out later this year), probably to focus on their Rebirth projects and in the final arc neither the story nor the art were very enjoyable. So you could probably skip that.

That being said there will be a Flash omnibus in late November that will collect the first four volumes which is definitely worth it. If anything wait for that one. So, my suggestion would be to begin with Aquaman first, but you should check out The Flash as well later on. Finally keep in mind that most of Aquaman's Volume 3 mostly overlaps with Justice League's Volume 3 (another great book) in case you are reading or are interested in both series.

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can confidently say that New 52 Aquaman is my favourite DC comics run. Geoff Johns just kills it. Such great writing, great art, amazing worlds under the water and on land.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I can confidently say that New 52 Aquaman is my favourite DC comics run. Geoff Johns just kills it. Such great writing, great art, amazing worlds under the water and on land.

I can't wait to read it, but did you also read Batman Paul Dini's run and Swamp Thing Charles Soule's run, they are very good contenders for best runs.

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jb681131 said:
    @rainshadow777 said:

I can't wait to read it, but did you also read Batman Paul Dini's run and Swamp Thing Charles Soule's run, they are very good contenders for best runs.

I haven't read either of these. I hear a lot of good things about Soule's Swamp Thing. There are just too many great books to chase, it's frustrating. A good frustrating!

BatDad87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both are really good aquaman actually got me to like aquaman instead of him being the joke of the dc universe. His rebirth comics are backing that up as him being a compassionate guy but a bad ass who you don't wanna mess with.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I would pick Aquaman.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.