Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Justice League - Vol 1. The Extinction Machines confusion (spoilers)

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've just finished reading this trade that includes the Rebirth issues 1-5 by Bryan Hitch and Tony S Daniel. I've got a few questions about what I just read.

I'm confused.

So, the Kindred are these four giant types, each one for some reason is full of people from earth - sort of like giant wicker men. Each of the Kindred has a special type of power, which aren't really used at all, but they claim that they have these powers and that they were 'stolen' from them by some of the Justice League.

Now, they're on earth and trying to sing a song that will bring about something. I'm not sure what that something is. They are, however, trying to get the song finished before another thing called The Purge takes place, or before The Breaking of Worlds takes place. Either of these two things apparently can put an end to their plans.

Inside the earth are three large spheres that for some reason slowly cause earthquakes. I think this is in order to stop the Kindred from doing whatever mysterious thing they're trying to do.

Aquaman has found small crystals in the ocean that sing a song as well, which he can understand for some reason. He takes these crystals and puts them in the seabed at different points around the globe. Somehow these crystals help to stop the earth breaking up. How they work or what they are is not explained.

Superman pushes some of the spheres into the Earth's core but brings one up to the surface. So not sure if it was Aquaman's crystal figures or Superman that stopped the Earth breaking up.

I think the Earth breaking up was part of the plan to stop the Kindred from doing their thing. Why?

The Kindred speak to Wonder Woman, who is actually inside one of these giants for some reason, asking her who she is. She floats around in there for most of the arc. Why are they talking to her in riddles?

To ameliorate the Kindred's power, The Flash just decides to take his power back. One minute he couldn't run, next minute he says yolo and can run and take his power back. The Lanterns also decide to take their power back... and can do it!

Superman brings one of those large core bomb things close to them and the Lanterns siphon a whole heap of Cyborg zombie lookalikes from a different dimension into one of the giants. Why?

Giants are destroyed. End of trade paperback.

So who were the Kindred? Were they good or bad? Am I happy they were destroyed?

What was the Purge? Were they good or bad? Why were they against the Kindred?

Why was the Earth breaking apart? This is bad, I take it.

What the hell did I just spend all that time reading? I enjoyed most of this book but now that I've finished I realised how crazy all this was. I literally don't know what happened.

laughingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rainshadow777 I think it's going to play out for awhile. The most recent issue is about these creatures called the Timeless. I had to reread it a couple times to realize it's a bunch of time lapses, and then I realized somebody basically set off time nukes and the heroes are now in several different eras. I think this was something the Kindred were trying to stop? I'm not sure honestly.

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rainshadow777 I think it's going to play out for awhile. The most recent issue is about these creatures called the Timeless. I had to reread it a couple times to realize it's a bunch of time lapses, and then I realized somebody basically set off time nukes and the heroes are now in several different eras. I think this was something the Kindred were trying to stop? I'm not sure honestly.

I am a fan of long term plot development (I'm looking in your direction Dr Manhattan), and I presume there will be some more info on all of this at some point. Still, it's such a confusing story with little pay-off for the poor consumer who shelled out legal tender for it. At least a little hint or twist or something to hang one's hat on - that would have made a difference.

MasterOfEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rainshadow777: go on youtube and look up Comics Explained. that should help. other than that, the only thing i noted was when the kindred mentioned the upcoming Forever Crisis

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterofevil: It's a sorry state of affairs when a reasonably functional human being like me has to resort to third parties to have their comics explained.

After that I'll get someone to demystify the TV Guide, then I'll get around to having the IKEA catalogue explained to me.

Or the book can be written so that it makes some semblance of sense.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.