Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Did DC made a mistake by killing New 52 Superman ?

Mister_X_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mister_X_1

By this time some of you might now that DC is planing to kill of New 52 Superman and replace him

with Pre New 52 Superman. What do you think about it ?

Was it the good move ?

Or was it a bad move ?

I am honestly split on this.

Change is good, and replacing New 52 Superman with Pre New 52 Superman is a good idea on

paper, they can make a lot of great stories out of this move.

But the biggest mistake I fear is the return of the Superman Louis Lane love romance.

The reason why I'm saying this, is because I actually liked the idea of Superman falling

in love with someone else. And I also feel that Lois has gained an independent personality, in

pre new 52 she just marries Superman, but in New 52 she revels his identity to the world, which

one do you think has a personality ?

But this is my opinion, what yours ?

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

Mister_X_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Lvenger

Perhaps but I'm of the opinion that, though it was cool to see two Supermen in the same universe, that could only be a temporary thing. DC needed to get rid of one Superman and make the other the main Superman of their universe. They chose to remove the aggressive, brash and impulsive recent Superman and replace him with the wiser, more experienced and mature Pre Flashpoint Superman so I'm fine with the choice they want with, hopefully they can make it work and do a better job on the Superman line than they have been thus far.

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rainshadow777

I'm no Superman expert, but it's hard to imagine that DC would stray too far from the original blueprint, so I'm sure the Lois Lane romance is never far from the drawing board. However, I do think some of the old Superman tropes are a little tired so hopefully things stay relatively fresh.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I am happy just because of Jon. The potential here is amazing!

Some of your problems are already solved:

• I feel for every story that "could happen" with N52 Supes, P52 Supes unlocks double the amount. Because unfortunately N52 Supes hasn't brought any new ideas to the table and the writers, having no continuity behind them, found it easy to just retell basic stories again and again. P52 Superman takes that freedom the writers abused back. Now they have to think outside of the box.
    • P52 Lois is also back. N52 Lois won't have anything to do with Supes she will become Superwoman in her own title. And Lois is a mother now. Like Supes that will create new kinds of friction.

My only fear is the unnecessary convolution but that I bet is a retcon waiting to happen.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm no Superman expert, but it's hard to imagine that DC would stray too far from the original blueprint, so I'm sure the Lois Lane romance is never far from the drawing board. However, I do think some of the old Superman tropes are a little tired so hopefully things stay relatively fresh.

If it makes you feel any better it is the first time Lois and Clark had a child. Which introduces amazing storytelling potential, new dynamics and keeps things fresh.

Mister_X_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Did pre new 52 Lois Lane retire from the Daily Planet ?

Mister_X_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger

But wasn't that what was good about new 52 Superman ?

He was different, brash, rough, and everything pre new 52 Superman wasn't, and the romance that the pre new 52

is famous for was not there.

And DC can come up with ideas, they just took the easy way out and brought back the already ready and perfect

pre new 52 Superman, they could have recreate the Darkside-Superman war, the Zod-Superman war, they could have

made pre new 52 Superman Superman prime, turn him evil, and take on the Justice League.

What do you think ?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Did pre new 52 Lois Lane retire from the Daily Planet ?

Pre 52 Lois has nothing to do with the Daily Planet of this universe. She writes expose books undercover, anonymously.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think so, not only because it mes the comics more convoluted, but it also makes things near impenetrable for new readers, and it's just weird knowing Superman is the one character who has been misplaced, as a pose to all the others.

Overall this is a very lazy move on DC's part, instead of just doing a good job writing the character, just trying to satisfy unreasonable fans, which ultimately is what keeps comics from moving forward.

I'll go into more detail when i share my thoughts on Rebirth, or make a post of my own in the forums

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@mister_x_1:

No that was the worst thing about New 52 Superman.

And that's exactly the reason why fans didn't like New 52 Superman, he wasn't the character they remembered. That's why

I was always of similar opinion to Squalleon that Pre Flashpoint Superman had more story telling potential than New 52. He was a more established character, he had more options for plots

Making Pre New 52 Superman an evil Superman Prime rip off would have been the absolute worst, most travesty ridden act they could do. Not only is it an intrinsically bad and terrible idea, it would enrage longtime and classic Superman fans and fans with nostalgia for the Pre Flashpoint Superman. Hell it's the one thing which would be worse than killing this version of the character off.

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
    MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not a fan of the move. I get all the things that were missing from New 52 Supes. I get that Superman is meant to be the greatest hero of all time, and New 52 Supes paled in comparison to most versions of the character. However this move just seems so artificial. I mean, I know that everything is artificial in a comic book, but this just feels weird. I'd have rather they just put some good writers on New 52 Superman, and slowly develop him into the perfect Superman.

Anyway, the Superman they're replacing him with is actually an evil sand monster.

And if they have to bring a Pre-New 52 family back, or something shown in convergence, it should be Wally West and family.

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rainshadow777

@rainshadow777 said:

If it makes you feel any better it is the first time Lois and Clark had a child. Which introduces amazing storytelling potential, new dynamics and keeps things fresh.

I'm not sure this does make me feel any better. Superman picking up groceries on the way home... Lois giving the baby bottles... Being woken up in the middle of the night with the baby crying... Lois bitching about Superman's pay packet...

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:
    @rainshadow777 said:

I'm not sure this does make me feel any better. Superman picking up groceries on the way home... Lois giving the baby bottles... Being woken up in the middle of the night with the baby crying... Lois bitching about Superman's pay packet...

Τhe kid is 10 years old...

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rainshadow777 said:
    @squalleon said:
    @rainshadow777 said:

Τhe kid is 10 years old...

As long as the kid gets to bed on time so Superman can get on with saving the planet then I guess that's ok. But seriously, yes I do see the point that there is a lot of potential for interesting stories with this.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

about time, hope he dies by someone choking him with his Ipad headphones. Good riddance.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't think they should kill the New 52 Superman.

Stanlos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it is time for new leadership at DC (long past time actually). On the bright side, they can scarcely get worse.

Yes, I think it was a mistake to do as I think it was a mistake to build a universe around Flashpoint/52.

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
    deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

It was the best thing to do

bighero6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I'm okay with N52 Sups going away simply because I've fallen in love with Classic Superman now with a Son.

GeoKnowsBest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was the best thing to do

Yup. Nu52 Supes was garbage.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. He wasn't bad in the beginning, but slowly became more and more edge like. DC could have done more to make him better and fans should have been less scared of change. He was a New version for a new generation and I do hope he comes back.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.