Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Aquaman JL crossover felt wrong somehow

lusocyke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Just started reading New 52 Aquaman and, although it's awesome, I hated it when it had the JL crossover.

I felt that it lost the "uniqueness" it had and, not only that, but the way they made the Atlanteans the villains only made me sympathize more with them. Sure they weren't attack by the surface world, but JL barely tried to talk things out with them. I haven't been reading any other JL comic so I don't know if this is only a badly written issue that is out of character or if this is the direction they went with.

TBH, I found myself not liking Arthur for the first time in the New 52.

Is it just me that is crazy or were the issues bad?

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those issues were some of the best in the New 52....I don't know why you didn't like them...But the fact is that Arthur is made to choose between 2 worlds and he will be many times in the future...He can't side with Atlanteans due to although them being right, their moral compass is off the charts....

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@lusocyke: I believe it's Aquaman's greatest story ever and the reviews for the whole event have been some of the best in the entire New 52.

The problem was that they were being manipulated and they didn't have time to react. Everything happened really fast. Aquaman did what he could to prevent any loses on both sides, and in the end he saw the only way to end this was to take his rightful throne. Giving Orm to the surface was the best way to end the conflict once and for all, since he was the one the surface people actualy saw leading the Atlantean attack (and not Vulko). Also keeping Vulko in Atlantis made sense so he could interogate him. Plus Aquaman did everything with a heavy heart especially giving up Orm, but it was the most conclusive way he could find to end the whole thing.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dan12456

Interesting since so many people have it as the peak of Aquaman greatness. Different people like different things though. (I personally enjoyed the Trench arc from the N52 more, but Throne of Atlantis was still amazing imo)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a3162faeafe3
    deactivated-5a3162faeafe3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Throne of Atlantis was the best arc of the new 52 along with Court of Owls.

lusocyke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol, I knew that I'd be alone in this. I understand, my problem wasn't that it was poorly written. My problem was that the JL members, with the exception of Arthur, didn't even try to understand the Atlanteans, they just attacked.

Now, I understand that the lives of innocents were at stake but they could've talked things out a little. I also think that they could've done more with Aquaman trying to protect his brother.

That said, I liked that this resulted in a moment of Orm being a reluctant hero. I like how Aquaman's villains are mostly being humanized. With Orm only trying to do what's best for his people, but ending up seeing the good in humanity, and Black Manta wanting to destroy Arthur because of the death of his own father.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Geoff Johns run of Aquaman simply blew me away. I think the very final issue of his run is my favourite. I won't give any spoilers, but I've never been more psyched when reading a damn comic. New 52 Aquaman is easily my favourite New 52 title.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The Geoff Johns run of Aquaman simply blew me away. I think the very final issue of his run is my favourite. I won't give any spoilers, but I've never been more psyched when reading a damn comic. New 52 Aquaman is easily my favourite New 52 title.

Just as a side note, I was also amazed by Charles Soule's run on Swamp Thing.

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jb681131: I hear this a lot. Swamp Thing actually makes an appearance in the Aquaman Vol 5 trade I think. I've only read the Alan Moore run of ST.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lusocyke: It definitely looks bad on the part of the Justice League, considering that they didn't really give Aquaman much time to talk with his brother in order to really find out what was going on. However on the other side of things, the entire East Coast was about to be under attack in an entire city has already been flooded, so it's understandable why the Justice League wanted to get things done in mediately.

But like Orm said in jail, Atlantis was attacked first, and even though it was manipulation by Vulko and not an intentional Act of War by the United States, the fact is, Atlanteans were also killed, and first, but no one seemed to care about that.

It was just a messy situation.

Stanlos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lusocyke said:

Just started reading New 52 Aquaman and, although it's awesome, I hated it when it had the JL crossover.

I felt that it lost the "uniqueness" it had and, not only that, but the way they made the Atlanteans the villains only made me sympathize more with them. Sure they weren't attack by the surface world, but JL barely tried to talk things out with them. I haven't been reading any other JL comic so I don't know if this is only a badly written issue that is out of character or if this is the direction they went with.

TBH, I found myself not liking Arthur for the first time in the New 52.

Is it just me that is crazy or were the issues bad?

It's the stench of Try Hard I think. We had Orm's lightning and water incapacitating the likes of Superman and Wonder Woman for one contrivance. We did have Mera be awesome (for which I must be grateful as she is a fave from way back when I first learned to draw) but we also had a League rendered pretty much catatonic to serve the plot.

And the biggest problem like most GJ big stories, the potential was great while the delivery was a whimper.

The story felt rushed, front loaded, and riddled with PIS moments. I expect this now whenever I see GJ in the credits for writer. I learned my lesson with Infinite Crisis.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15  Edited By Pokeysteve

Keep reading. That arc was blah for me too but it gets better. Got me interested in Aquaman's world.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.