Follow

Darth Vader

Character » Darth Vader appears in 1467 issues.

Once a heroic Jedi Knight known as Anakin Skywalker, Darth Vader was seduced by the dark side and became a dark Lord of the Sith. After severe injuries at the hands of Obi-Wan Kenobi, locking him in a metal suit, Vader would go on to terrorize the galaxy. Under the apprenticeship of Darth Sidious, Vader served as a powerful enforcer for the Galactic Empire and hunted down any surviving Jedi after Order 66. However, in spite of everything he had done, there were still remnants of good in him.

Darth Vader #4

undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

This issue of DARTH VADER fully crosses us into some very Mass Effect-y territory, and it works amazingly. This isn’t terribly shocking since the latter is clearly influenced and inspired by the former, but Vader and Aphra’s solution to a bad case of “lacking an unstoppable army” is a novel, bizarre and extraordinarily dark one that ties all the way back to the prequels. Aphra’s new droids also prove their mettle and prove to be quite the pair to be reckoned with, and it’s here that Kieron Gillen does some great work in making the droid duo feel like they’re doing something different. The similarities between them and the fan-favorite HK-47 were much more apparent last issue (it felt like if they were combined, HK would pop out) but this issue gives us a much better look at 000’s personality and temperment, as well as the fascinating reason he was shut down, and zeroing in on BT-1. Gillen still has an incredible knack for writing Vader as clipped, kurt, and straight to the point while still making him someone that feels like the kind of person one would follow through the gates of Hell, whether he cared or not. There’s a dark charisma that Gillen infuses him with, making him feel like all that he does is effortless, even when it’s clear he’s struggling. Aphra also gets to shine here, showing herself to be far more than a motor-mouthed comic relief character and having a couple of truly genuine moments of pathos while still showing that the dark side comes in many shades.

Salvador Larroca changes gears somewhat in this as he shows a lot more implied violence and fighting than in previous issues, without feeling like he’s cheating the reader. He’s already shown Vader to be more than capable of dealing with most any threat that crosses his path, and while he’s also been great about having the dark lord struggle, by this point it should be clear that Vader isn’t going to be stopped by some bizarre droid-mutants. Larroca keeps the pace brisk too, not just in the fights but as the characters go from place to place. He gives the feeling that Vader is constantly walking quickly at full stride and depending on everyone else to keep up. It’s a small, subtle touch that makes the character not only feel more real, but more fleshed out without needing to say or do anything else. Edgar Delgado’s colors take a turn for the dark and dreary in this, but it fits the tone of the issue to a tee. Not that the other issues were exactly rays of sunshine, but this one feels downright oppressive and claustrophobic. It makes the inclusion of Doctor Aphra all the more necessary as she can feel and react to things similarly to how the reader would, while Vader retains his stoicism.

The Bad

Without giving anything away, there’s a part in this issue near the middle, when Vader is in combat, where it becomes difficult to discern exactly what’s going on and what the plan is. It only lasts a couple of pages, but it’s jarring considering how well the rest of the issue is paced and blocked.

The Verdict

This issue feels like it picks up the pace of the series perfectly, finally calcifying Vader’s main plan while checking in with one or two of the loose threads that had been left in the form of the bounty hunters. This feels like a clinic on how to write a great villain book: Vader’s obviously not a GOOD person, but Gillen and Larroca make him a COMPELLING one. He often traded on pure cool-factor, but this series seems intent on making him an actual, thinking, complex person.

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Can't wait to read this but I'm not good for it until next week. :(

Avatar image for infinityomelette
    InfinityOmelette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This book is all about Vader being Vader. In fact, the Star Wars book seems to be an extension of the Vader Book. (That's not a bad thing.) I've been really surprised about all the new Star Wars books that I'm now starting to look forward to them more than the Marvel vanilla books.

Best Scene: Vader vs. The Geonosian Queen and the exchange between the two...

P.S. Doctor Aphra is really cool too. I think I'm crushing on a fictional character again. ;)

LordRyus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing Issue!

I can't believe I'm actually liking Vader with companion characters. Especially Aphra, who really breaks the mold on his typical companions of Imperial minions or Bounty Hunters. I really like the idea of new molds of characters, it's refreshing to someone like me who's read most of the old Expanded Universe. I'll add that I went into this issue thinking she'd die very quickly and it might be amusing, but Gillen really pulled all the cords to get me to really start to worry she would die. Won't obviously spoil that, just saying well played Gillen.

marcohtx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By marcohtx

Those two droids are seriously effed up.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5  Edited By owie  Moderator

I agree with "the bad." The action scene there wasn't very well blocked out and it was hard to tell what was going on. I'd personally go for more like 4 stars on this issue: good, but for me not quite as good as last issue.

Also, I don't know HK-47, but Triple-0 has been pretty damn entertaining.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.