Follow

Daredevil

Character » Daredevil appears in 4764 issues.

As a child, Matt Murdock was blinded by radioactive waste while trying to save an elderly stranger about to get hit by a truck carrying the dangerous material. In turn, his other senses were heightened to superhuman sharpness and he gained a form of "radar sense". By day, he is a successful trial lawyer; but by night, he guards Hell's Kitchen as Daredevil: the Man Without Fear.

Why is Daredevil so consistently well written?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

...For a character who isn't generally one of the most popular in the Marvel World (he has his fans but is no Iron Man, Spiderman etc), he does seem to be in some really well rated stories...just wondered why this is?

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@bezza said:

...For a character who isn't generally one of the most popular in the Marvel World (he has his fans but is no Iron Man, Spiderman etc), he does seem to be in some really well rated stories...just wondered why this is?

Daredevil has had good writers the last ten or so years. Also both Andy Diggle and Mark Waid have received criticism for their work so it hasn't al been great (at least in some fans perspective). Daredevil has also had some pretty bad years. the 90's and some of the stories between Kevin Smith and Bendis (besides David Mack hasn't been that great). And the years before Frank Miller a lot of writers seemed confused about him a couldn't get him right. In the end good writers do good stories some are better at doing crime noir/street level characters where others are better at space operas. Daredevil have had the right writers for a long period. Perhaps not an interesting answer but it is the right one.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Wolverine008

I've noticed this phenomenon too. With big time characters, you often get mediocre stories, gimmicks, and poor characterization just to fit the plot. When you pick up a Daredevil comic, you are more often than not going to get a phenomenal story. I think what contributes to this is that Daredevil is so small time. Due to his lack of popularity, Marvel really doesn't focus too much with his comics and they just let Daredevil writers do their thing. They don't hassle them into doing gimmicky deaths with DD and such, and that creative freedom allows for writers to consistently craft incredible, enthralling Daredevil stories.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bezza

I've noticed this phenomenon too. With big time characters, you often get mediocre stories, gimmicks, and poor characterization just to fit the plot. When you pick up a Daredevil comic, you are more often than not going to get a phenomenal story. I think what contributes to this is that Daredevil is so small time. Due to his lack of popularity, Marvel really doesn't focus too much with his comics and they just let Daredevil writers do their thing. They don't hassle them into doing gimmicky deaths with DD and such, and that creative freedom allows for writers to consistently craft incredible, enthralling Daredevil stories.

This is very true. Over on DC one of the best comics I am told is Animal Man who is relatively unknown, yet consistently people are struggling to do justice to Superman. Even Scott Snyder isn't really convincing in unchained. The current Daredevil comic is in my opinion brilliant. It reminds a lot of the old Frank Miller comics...

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

He's set in a gritty, dark environment that allows such great stories to exist. Add in some great villains and some great backstory and you already have yourself a good foundation. Daredevil also takes itself a lot more seriously than many other superheroes, leading to many Batman-esque stories, only many times darker and many times more violent.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Frank Miller's work on the character is so seminal that people wanna up hold that standard. That's my two cents anyway.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 41

Frank Miller's work on the character is so seminal that people wanna up hold that standard. That's my two cents anyway.

This is genius

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Bendis said that Miller established it as the Marvel book which you just can't screw.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

This. The Writers have a standard which they try to reach.
    Plus the character isn't constantly rebooted which make his world and him consistent.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By daredevil21134

I have a feeling Frank Miller might not dig the current series lol

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PunyParker

SHUT UP!....i read the NOW comics and that's all that matters.
    So Spider-Man is a brutal,jackassy jerk,and Daredevil is a happy-too-shoes ,smart ass..... ( :P )

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

So Spider-Man is a brutal,jackassy jerk,and Daredevil is a happy-too-shoes ,smart ass..... ( :P )

To each his own brother

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bendis said that Miller established it as the Marvel book which you just can't screw.

Good quote. Out of interest which do you prefer, Bendis or Miller? I haven't got any Miller yet, I am about to order "Born Again" but I do think the Bendis Vol 1 I have got is absolutely stellar! One of my top 5 graphic novels for sure..

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

@punyparkersaid:

Good quote. Out of interest which do you prefer, Bendis or Miller? I haven't got any Miller yet, I am about to order "Born Again" but I do think the Bendis Vol 1 I have got is absolutely stellar! One of my top 5 graphic novels for sure..

Bendis is my favorite writer,so it is an obvious choice. :)

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@bezza said:

@punyparkersaid:

My favorite run is actually Brubaker

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Miller

Bendis

Smith

Waid

It's acclaimed run after acclaimed run. I don't understand it either, but I'm not complaining.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PunyParker

@punyparker said:

@bezza said:

@punyparkersaid:

I heared a lot of praise,and i'll read it.

And i was talking writer in general,not only a Daredevil run.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

Yeah, when did that happen?! I had to stop buying spiderman comics for my Spiderman loving 8 year old as they got too dark and violent. Ironically she would probably be ok with Waid's Daredevil!!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@jonny_anonymous said:

@punyparker said:

@bezza said:

@punyparkersaid:

I heared a lot of praise,and i'll read it.

And i was talking writer in general,not only a Daredevil run.

Oh well my answer would still be Brubaker lol

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PunyParker

Oh well my answer would still be Brubaker lol

Fair enough. :)

@bezza said:

Yeah, when did that happen?! I had to stop buying spiderman comics for my Spiderman loving 8 year old as they got too dark and violent. Ironically she would probably be ok with Waid's Daredevil!!

Ock occupied Peter's brain......and he's trying to be a more "effective" Spider-Man.....

You can buy her Spidey comics again,now,cuz Peter's back. :)

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

It's amazing how the quality of the stories go up when the writer doesn't hate the character and the character's fans. Unlike SOME writers...

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik said:
    @wolverine08 said:

It's amazing how the quality of the stories go up when the writer doesn't hate the character and the character's fans. Unlike SOME writers...

Ah, Cornell doesn't hate Wolverine, he's just having fun trolling Wolverine fans! You can't knock him for that :)

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: If Cornell comes to my con, I will do absolutely nothing to him but I will most certainly entertain fantasies of punching him in the mouth.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik said:

@wolverine08: If Cornell comes to my con, I will do absolutely nothing to him but I will most certainly entertain fantasies of punching him in the mouth.

I think Cornell knows how bad his Wolverine is, and has already prepped for a situation like this.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Erik

@erik said:

I think Cornell knows how bad his Wolverine is, and has already prepped for a situation like this.

His booth will probably have a riot shield or something.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@bezza:

Look to Gail Simone´s team book you have Birds of Prey and Secret Six some dont have lot big names or are popular but are good books.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I don't know. I'm readin it now and every story gets progressively more dark. Matt's life gets real ****ty, lol

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

I don't know. I'm readin it now and every story gets progressively more dark. Matt's life gets real ****ty, lol

I might have to disagree.This series might not be a walk in the park put it's nowhere near as dark as the stuff Matt has faced before

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bezza
    Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@captain13 said:

@daredevil21134 said:

I might have to disagree.This series might not be a walk in the park put it's nowhere near as dark as the stuff Matt has faced before

Even Miller's run had very lighthearted moments, like when there was a Power Man and Iron Fist crossover for example. You have to have lighthearted parts before you can drag him through the mud, or else you'll be left with a character who isn't Daredevil. But all the stuff with Bullseye, Ikari, cancer, graverobbing, Milla, etc. seems pretty dark to me. *Shrugs*

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13: Again they have some dark stuff in them but in Miller's run there isn't a running gag about his blindness in almost every issue. There isn't Matt jumping around making jokes and a regular basis,there isn't a woman constantly saying how Matt is Daredevil. My problem mostly has to do with the characterization of Matt Murdock. Things like the constant smiling and the witty jokes I can do without.So while Miller's run had it's lighthearted moments it wasn't over the top like wearing a sweater saying i'm not Daredevil

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.