Follow

Daredevil

Character » Daredevil appears in 4764 issues.

As a child, Matt Murdock was blinded by radioactive waste while trying to save an elderly stranger about to get hit by a truck carrying the dangerous material. In turn, his other senses were heightened to superhuman sharpness and he gained a form of "radar sense". By day, he is a successful trial lawyer; but by night, he guards Hell's Kitchen as Daredevil: the Man Without Fear.

Nature of Daredevil's Radar Sense

MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By MrMiracle77

So, Daredevil has a radar sense, the exact nature of which has varied a bit from writer to writer.  I happen to know a thing or two about radars that make me rather curious about the capabilities of Matt's abilities.

- The Doppler Shift is an effect that causes an object reflecting EM radiation to alter the frequency of its return as a result of moving towards or away from the emitter.  Is Daredevil's radar sense sensitive enough to pick up this variation?  Can he accurately gauge an object's speed by its Doppler Shift?

- How well can Daredevil distinguish ground clutter?

- At approximately what frequency does Daredevil's radar sense operate?  Given the detail that he can pick up from a subject, I'd guess anywhere from 25 Ghz or above.

- How well would the sense deal with jamming at his operating frequency?

- Is the radar sense pulsed or frequency modulating?

- How can he use the radar sense through glass?

- Do metallic antennas at the proper wavelength-related size absorb the sense rather than reflecting it?

I could go on and on, but this is about as far as I'm willing to go on the subject tonight.  Have fun with the brainy stuff.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By joshmightbe

technically its actually sonar, like with bats and dolphins

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @joshmightbe said:

" technically its actually sonar, like with bats and dolphins "

That's one theory but not definite.

@MrMiracle77 said:

" So, Daredevil has a radar sense, the exact nature of which has varied a bit from writer to writer.  I happen to know a thing or two about radars that make me rather curious about the capabilities of Matt's abilities.  - The Doppler Shift is an effect that causes an object reflecting EM radiation to alter the frequency of its return as a result of moving towards or away from the emitter.  Is Daredevil's radar sense sensitive enough to pick up this variation?  Can he accurately gauge an object's speed by its Doppler Shift?  - How well can Daredevil distinguish ground clutter?  - At approximately what frequency does Daredevil's radar sense operate?  Given the detail that he can pick up from a subject, I'd guess anywhere from 25 Ghz or above.  - How well would the sense deal with jamming at his operating frequency?  - Is the radar sense pulsed or frequency modulating?  - How can he use the radar sense through glass?  - Do metallic antennas at the proper wavelength-related size absorb the sense rather than reflecting it?  I could go on and on, but this is about as far as I'm willing to go on the subject tonight.  Have fun with the brainy stuff. "

Since Daredevil's radar sense has never been properly explained.There is no way to answer all of these questions. How his sense actually works is left up to theories. Read this... 

According to one theory, Daredevil's "radar sense" functions via his brain's generation of energy within a certain portion of the electromagnetic spectrum. The signal emanates from sending regions of his brain, after which it travels outward, bounces off objects around him, and returns to receiving regions of his brain. Another theory is that this sense functions more closely to sonar in which Daredevil hears the faint echoes of sounds as they bounce off nearby objects. His sense may operate by a combination of these techniques or by other, unknown means. In any event, via this ability, Daredevil synthesizes a very close analogue of three-dimensional human sight. After he lost the Radar, Matt's instructor Stick retaught him his Radar/Senses through special training. Stick told Matt the radiation gave him a "free ride" but now he must develop it like everyone else. Its resolution is not very fine, probably on the order of several feet at a distance of one hundred feet. By repositioning his head and adding input from his other senses, Daredevil is able to resolve the image of an average flagpole (three-inch cylinder) at a distance of over eighty feet.   
    G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By G'bandit
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By daredevil21134
    Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#6  Edited By Deadcool

Spider-sense, How does it works?
    Cosmic awareness,  How does it works?  
    That little girl that know things,  How does she works?

Lol comicbooks.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

theres a thread underneath this one that posed and answered the same question.

it can't be determined, even whether its radar, sonar, or something else.
    this is very clearly outlined in the Handbook. pretty much because writers
    over time were never consistent about how exactly it works.

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Jotham

F***ing magnets, how do they work?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Jotham: voodoo
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By daredevil21134
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @joshmightbe said:

" technically its actually sonar, like with bats and dolphins "

That's one theory but not definite.

@MrMiracle77 said:

" So, Daredevil has a radar sense, the exact nature of which has varied a bit from writer to writer.  I happen to know a thing or two about radars that make me rather curious about the capabilities of Matt's abilities.  - The Doppler Shift is an effect that causes an object reflecting EM radiation to alter the frequency of its return as a result of moving towards or away from the emitter.  Is Daredevil's radar sense sensitive enough to pick up this variation?  Can he accurately gauge an object's speed by its Doppler Shift?  - How well can Daredevil distinguish ground clutter?  - At approximately what frequency does Daredevil's radar sense operate?  Given the detail that he can pick up from a subject, I'd guess anywhere from 25 Ghz or above.  - How well would the sense deal with jamming at his operating frequency?  - Is the radar sense pulsed or frequency modulating?  - How can he use the radar sense through glass?  - Do metallic antennas at the proper wavelength-related size absorb the sense rather than reflecting it?  I could go on and on, but this is about as far as I'm willing to go on the subject tonight.  Have fun with the brainy stuff. "

Since Daredevil's radar sense has never been properly explained.There is no way to answer all of these questions. How his sense actually works is left up to theories. Read this... 

According to one theory, Daredevil's "radar sense" functions via his brain's generation of energy within a certain portion of the electromagnetic spectrum. The signal emanates from sending regions of his brain, after which it travels outward, bounces off objects around him, and returns to receiving regions of his brain. Another theory is that this sense functions more closely to sonar in which Daredevil hears the faint echoes of sounds as they bounce off nearby objects. His sense may operate by a combination of these techniques or by other, unknown means. In any event, via this ability, Daredevil synthesizes a very close analogue of three-dimensional human sight. After he lost the Radar, Matt's instructor Stick retaught him his Radar/Senses through special training. Stick told Matt the radiation gave him a "free ride" but now he must develop it like everyone else. Its resolution is not very fine, probably on the order of several feet at a distance of one hundred feet. By repositioning his head and adding input from his other senses, Daredevil is able to resolve the image of an average flagpole (three-inch cylinder) at a distance of over eighty feet.    "

true
    jesse1018

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All DD's senses (minus sight obviously) are essentially maxed out. His hearing not only amplifies lower decibel range but also picks up other frequencies. I do think his proficiency with his 'radar' allows him to use the Doppler Effect as a speed gauge. Bats can catch flies with echo location, I think DD can manage street clutter. Aside from overload, his weakness is supersonic objects and the 'latency' time of sound vs light. DD has top-notch reflexes, but you need input to react to. As for the overload, why doesn't DD have some kind of sound dampening technology? Sure, while it's active he'll probably have impaired radar resolution, but that's better than a splitting headache and radar white-out.

Pearl_Sea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.