Follow

Daredevil

Character » Daredevil appears in 4764 issues.

As a child, Matt Murdock was blinded by radioactive waste while trying to save an elderly stranger about to get hit by a truck carrying the dangerous material. In turn, his other senses were heightened to superhuman sharpness and he gained a form of "radar sense". By day, he is a successful trial lawyer; but by night, he guards Hell's Kitchen as Daredevil: the Man Without Fear.

Is Daredevil really blind?

DarkFeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DarkFeline

I have not read the comics, Btw.

So Iv been watching the Netflix and Marvel Daredevil, and don't get me wrong, I love it, its amazing!! but At times it seems hes only a little bit blind. he says he sees a world on fire, But that would just mean he sees a world little bit different (not blind). Like take when Foggy found out about him being the black mask, he held up his middle finger and asked how many fingers he was holding up, Matt said one, I get that, but in the beginning when he went blind, he like really couldn't see anything! so how come now he see a would on fire, I thought that like he just know how everything happened through his other senses.

Please answer.

Thanks

P.S. Small update I thought of.

Ok here is one way to put it. It seems he uses his eyes at times (like saying he sees a world on fire), but then says hes blind (it makes no sense to me).

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By acer51

Lets put it this way: He can't use his eyes.

The seeing world on fire thing was a visual representation of him sensing heat which he had to learn through concentration and training.

Everything he "sees" isn't him using his eyes but his hyper-developed senses, he knows foggy flipped him the bird because he can feel the body heat of his finger, the movement of air around it, its smell and can probably even hear the blood rushing through his indexes veins if he concentrates.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He can't see in a traditional sense

DarkFeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thank you so much, that helps a lot! :D

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

No Caption Provided

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

In comics he is "more" blind than he is portrayed in the series.

He can only see vague silhouettes of objects not details. For example cash, he can't SEE the difference between them, that's why he used to fold them differently. Or how he can't understand which cab is free or occupied.

LeRizador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In comics he is "more" blind than he is portrayed in the series.

He can only see vague silhouettes of objects not details. For example cash, he can't SEE the difference between them, that's why he used to fold them differently. Or how he can't understand which cab is free or occupied.

^

and pretty much what acer said.

ClassicKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Daredevil will always be Daredevil, netflix or comics....

Some radioactive waste had spilled all over Matt's eyes when he was escaping bullies. Since then he's become blind. Like most blind people in real life, Daredevil uses his Radar sense (just like echo location).

vanceastro2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

This is not very accurate. While it is true that comics' Daredevil only sees silluetes , his radar sense gives him some advantages that normal cant see : the fact that the radar can "see" in every direction ( its omnidirectional) , the fact that it allows him to "see" up to several squares away and up to 60 metres height , the fact that the radar sense through things (like clothes and walls) and the fact the radar sense works the same in the darkness or under smokescreens or abnormal weather conditions. If you ask me, thats way better than having normal vision. Yes, it is true Daredevil radar only gives him info about shapes and distance, but the radar sense's pros outweights its cons. For all practical purposes, comics' DD sees more than a seeing man. Scans to prove my points:

Radar sense "seeing" through things:

Radar sense ommnidirectionality:

Radar sense lenghty field of vision:

FireKnight12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can he drive?

vanceastro2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fireknight12:

Yes he can, and he has been doing so since the very early Stan Lee issues. Take a look a Daredevil vol 1 #8,where Daredevil drives a car to the river, because he had detected there was a hidden bomb inside it. Then, in Daredevil vol 1 #54 he drives into an air field and then rents a plane with a fake licence. In DD vol 1 #233 he drives a taxi where he is taking the defeated Nuke to the Daily Bulge. He even drove the Avenger s jet in issue #100 of volume 1.

Ravengrey32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So the radioactive waste didn't really blinded him?

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If you don't want to read the comi, I'd recommend you to watch the Daredevil series on Netflix.

Season one explains it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.