Follow

Daredevil

Character » Daredevil appears in 4764 issues.

As a child, Matt Murdock was blinded by radioactive waste while trying to save an elderly stranger about to get hit by a truck carrying the dangerous material. In turn, his other senses were heightened to superhuman sharpness and he gained a form of "radar sense". By day, he is a successful trial lawyer; but by night, he guards Hell's Kitchen as Daredevil: the Man Without Fear.

How You'd Write Matt Murdock/Daredevil

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

What kind of characterization would we see? What would be the main setting and characters from what point (or points) of Matt's life would we see? Would we see any team-ups? Who would be regulars and how would you fit him into the greater Marvel Universe?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I'm sure I've mentioned a bunch of times about how I would have him travel to Japan and reform the Chaste with characters like White Tiger, Black Tarantula, Elektra, Stick and Master Izo.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Yeah I've you mentioned that once or twice. I agree man that would be very boss indeed, I wish something like that would happen. You mind going in to a bit more detail about you're concept?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#4  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@theheaven_guardian10: Well my idea usually fit in to the timeline as if the entire Waid run never happened but now that Soul has taken over I'm not sure how it would fit in.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think Frank Miller summed up the most important aspect of Matt's character when he said that Daredevil, should have been a villain. He had a crummy childhood, the worst romantic life, he causes destruction everywhere he goes. And yet, against all odds, Matt Murdock continues wanting to help people.

I would take this one step further and say that Matt Murdock, despite commonly being attributed by less hardcore readers as a traditionally "dark" antihero similar to the likes of Batman, Wolverine, etc, is in reality, much more lighthearted as a person, closer to Spider-Man or Superman. At his heart, Matt is an extremely empathetic guy, extremely warm and just loves the feeling of helping people. That's why his original costume was a big dumb bright yellow leotard. Matt Murdock WANTS to be one of the lighter superheroes, the type that stand in the light and inspire hope. At his heart, he IS that kind of person. He wants to swing around and crack jokes like Spider-Man, then go home to his white picket fence, loving wife, maybe a dog or two. He doesn't want to stand on a gargoyle in the rain brooding, he isn't actually that type of person, but that's the life he was forcibly thrust into.

He's unlucky enough to constantly get shoved into the most horrible situations possibly imaginable. He gives the illusion that he's a dark antihero because his world is so dark; villains like Bullseye and Gladiator are outright schizophrenic mass murderers. There's no room for quips when you're in a church with a dozen nuns bleeding out. Spider-Man has never had to deal with something like that. Matt routinely gets his entire life torn apart. He is forced to endure more, and work harder than almost any other Marvel hero. Yet at the end of the day, he still strives to rise above it, and try to be a good person.

I would put emphasis on that, the dichotomy between the lighthearted hero, forcibly thrust into a dark world. I would emphasize his Catholic beliefs, and put more focus on that potential demonic rage he is capable of when pushed too far.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: Very beautiful in depth analysis of the psyche and character of Matt Murdock/Daredevil. It was one of the most detail post I've seen about the character. I really think you highlighted the basic makeup of Matt and why he does what he does.

I would love to read your Daredevil stories, seem like they would be very psychological, emotional and action driven. Also love how you would put focus on his religion has a Catholic, a concept I wish more writers would focus on. I believe you would explore nearly every aspect of Matt Murdock/Daredevil, from his most treasure dreams and memories, to his most darkest fears and impulses.

I think you would definitely get the beauty and rage of Daredevil.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: Spiderman has always been apart of some very dark and similar circumstances which is why he was the one who brought Matt back from the brink of darkness after Karen's death.

Me I would write a happier DD. There was a point when It seemed like writers just wanted to see how much darker they could take him with the character. I would have Matt being a great lawyer and focusing more on his personal life than him being a superhero.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theheaven_guardian10: Thank you for the compliments. To put it in more simple terms, Matt's original idea with the "Daredevil" name likely had more emphasis on the "dare" rather than the "devil." He was originally a colorful, acrobatic hero. But in modern times, the "devil" part has been more prominent, and Matt himself does not enjoy that.

Despite the fact that Matt is often lumped in with dark heroes like Batman, you never hear him proudly proclaiming things like "I am fear. I am vengeance. I am the night! I am DAREDEVIL!" because that is the type of person Bruce Wayne is. He himself is a dark person. Matt Murdock is not, he's a light person thrust into a dark world. The lack of emphasis on this post-Frank Miller, most notably in the Netflix series, where Matt IS just a much more straightforward dark hero, I find to be a lot more shallow. Matt shouldn't "have the devil in him" automatically, and struggle between wanting to kill his enemies. He should have the POTENTIAL for demonic rage, after being pushed too far, but it shouldn't be the norm. That's my opinion anyway, he's more unique if you do it this way.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: You welcome and your ideas warrant them. Yeah I agree with you, I could very much see things like that starting out for Matt.

Although I agree with you on some aspects, I aslo must respectfully disagree. I personally like Matt more straightforward dark hero, who has "have the devil in him" automatically, and struggle between wanting to kill his enemies. I don't find it shallow at all, but I get were your coming from. I find the concept of potential demonic rage, after being pushed too far, very cool and intriguing. I also must disagree again good sir, I find and think DD is very unique and appealing as he is. But you idea woud mostly likely add to that uniqueness.

Avatar image for lactosetolerant
    LactoseTolerant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally loved the way he was written in the Netflix series. At the end of the day Matt's just a normal dude trying to do the right thing, but he struggles with this anger and darkness that follows him throughout his life. I was really intrigued by the idea that he wasn't just doing what he does to help people, but because it's his coping mechanism for all of his anger and frustration and that he's actually addicted to it. I'm not sure if the comics have explored this because I only got into DD recently but I think it definitely offers a somewhat new and complex perspective on superheroes. I know that Batman is kind of similar in that he feels compelled to do what he does for personal reasons, but Daredevil has this rage and savagery about him that sets him apart. I also think that his Catholicism should be a subtle but important trait that isn't shoved in your face but remains emphasized. Along with just adding character to DD, it really opened the door for a lot of moral conflicts and his conversations with the priest allowed readers to delve into his mind and see what Daredevil struggles with on a daily basis.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lactosetolerant: That is one of the best assignments and analysis of Matt/DD I've read, very good job. I would love to read you're Daredevil.

Avatar image for lactosetolerant
    LactoseTolerant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LactoseTolerant

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.