Follow

Daredevil

Character » Daredevil appears in 4764 issues.

As a child, Matt Murdock was blinded by radioactive waste while trying to save an elderly stranger about to get hit by a truck carrying the dangerous material. In turn, his other senses were heightened to superhuman sharpness and he gained a form of "radar sense". By day, he is a successful trial lawyer; but by night, he guards Hell's Kitchen as Daredevil: the Man Without Fear.

Do you like that Daredevil is Catholic?

Avatar image for deactivated-57e73afcc9b00
    deactivated-57e73afcc9b00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you like that Daredevil is Catholic? (73 votes)

Yes 81%
    No 5%
    Don't Care 15%
     • 
    Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I preferred, Batman, Spider-man, Wolverine, and Superman, I appreciated Daredevil as a kid, since I have a disability and I am Catholic. Although, I wish creators were more respectful towards the faith. I thought Brian Michael Bendis' Daredevil was absolutely incredible, but it bugged me that he kept referring to him as a Devout Catholic. Brubaker did the same thing if I recall. They are still both a couple of the best comic book runs that I have ever read. I love them, but I don't like when authors don't respect others' faiths. He should not go on about not praying, and he shouldn't be having sex that wasn't ordered towards procreation and bonding with his wife, without recognition that he's sinning. Any lustful thought or deed is considered a sin by the Catholic faith. We're all big sinners (according to my Catholic faith), but if he's Catholic, he should seek reconciliation.

On a side note, I loved how they portrayed the priest in the Netflix show! I had conversations with various priests that mirrored what was going on in that show. I just wish they portrayed Confession correctly though.

SinisterSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SinisterSoul

I don't care as long as there is not any wannabe comic writers like Kevin Smith writing terrible stories because of it.

@baneofdemon22: I think the main mistake is calling him a devout Catholic. I'm not religious myself, but I have a Catholic friend that tells me that less than 10% of Catholics are actually good Catholics. Him having a religion and not following it completely actually is what makes him more like a normal person that many religious people can relate to.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Yes.It adds more to his character but it's hardly explored through out his comic history.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By kcomicfan

It is good for the character. However It is unbelievable as characters like Thor exist in the Marvel universe.

ILOVEMARVEL23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes. Originally all comic book heroes were basically blank slates so kids could easily fantasize about being the heroes they read about. Most of them didn't really develop realistic personalities until the 70s/80s but Frank Miller took it a step further by giving Matt a religion. Most of the time it is presented to us as Matt Murdock is a Catholic among other things, which is the way I prefer it. I do agree with the above post which says that he should not be referred to as a devout Catholic. I did not like how his religion was used by Kevin Smith, but I still think Smith told a decent story anyway.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.It adds more to his character but it's hardly explored through out his comic history.

Do you think it should be explored more?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

Yes.

Sometimes. Originally all comic book heroes were basically blank slates so kids could easily fantasize about being the heroes they read about. Most of them didn't really develop realistic personalities until the 70s/80s but Frank Miller took it a step further by giving Matt a religion. Most of the time it is presented to us as Matt Murdock is a Catholic among other things, which is the way I prefer it. I do agree with the above post which says that he should not be referred to as a devout Catholic. I did not like how his religion was used by Kevin Smith, but I still think Smith told a decent story anyway.

What did you not like about Smith using it?

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
    deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course, it's a huge part of Matt and it's typically done really tastefully.

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: I didn't like the way Smith used it to manipulate him. Or the cheap excuse he used saying drugging Matt made him more manipulatable.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hellsangel said:
    @daredevil21134 said:

Yes.

To what extent would you like to see it explored? Do you think he should be a devout Catholic or a man conflicted like we see in the show?

Avatar image for vivecchimmaster
    VivecChimMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God no. Keep that bureaucratic religious garbage outta comics.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hellsangel: I am a religious guy myself,but religion and politics tend to make people uncomfortable so I'll say keep him conflicted.Making him devout might be too much for some.I don't see how writers refer to him as devout,he's hardly ever in church nor do we see him pray too often.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e73b68b7ed7
    deactivated-57e73b68b7ed7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not religious, but I do like that Daredevil is a religious character. It gives him more character and makes him seem more realistic. But I also wouldn't ever want to feel like I am being preached at when reading a comic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: Was Daredevil being a religious character one of the things that originally attracted you to him? It was for me.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By daredevil21134

@daredevil21134: Was Daredevil being a religious character one of the things that originally attracted you to him? It was for me.

Absolutely.And the fact he said under Miller that he didn't drink alcohol.

Tommy Who?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Tommy Who?

I like that Daredevil is Catholic. I'm a liberal American atheist of European descent, but that doesn't mean I necessarily want to read comic books about people who share my sociopolitical, cultural and ethnic background. How boring would that be?

Very, the answer is very.

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Definitely. I'm not Catholic myself, but his religion is a defining character trait and it makes him interesting.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hellsangel said:

I agree with you. I also think most superheroes shouldn't drink alcohol.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:
    @hellsangel said:

To me it doesn't make sense when they do unless you have some kind of healing factor like Wolverine or some strong immune system.The stuff screws your body up.But yeah,I liked that about Daredevil.Waid kept making go to bars regularly and it annoyed me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hellsangel said:
    @daredevil21134 said:
    @hellsangel said:

To me it doesn't make sense when they do unless you have some kind of healing factor like Wolverine or some strong immune system.The stuff screws your body up.But yeah,I liked that about Daredevil.Waid kept making go to bars regularly and it annoyed me.

Waid is a terrible writer. He seems to live in a bubble and have no idea how the world actually works. I don't know wtf marvel was thinking when they gave Daredevil to him to taint. I just hope he stays far far away from all the charecters that care about.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hellsangel: Agreed completely.I'll never understand how people overlook all his childish banter and immature puns because he spent an issue or two on racism and used words like cancer and depression.For every serious plot he tried to execute there's a million gags and one liners to distract the reader from it.I dread what he has in store for Black Widow.Good news is that Soule's DD 1 sold out so lets hope the numbers hold up.He barely spent time analyzing Matt's depression,it was used a plot device to make him act like an idiot.I really wanna stop talking about Waid now.The dude killed Daredevil for me for four years.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yes I love Daredevil is religious and Catholic, since I myself am. It makes the character interesting and adds some depth to to him. I love the conflict and struggle that comes from not being the "good Catholic boy/man " he thinks he should be. But I can totally understand were people like @izzy0292 are coming from, to not to feel like there being preached at, every time they read a Daredevil story. I also agree that he shouldn't be a devout Catholic, but I do wish his religion and faith was explored more, it was one of the things that I loved about Guardian Devil.

bakera8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bakera8

I always prefer they keep comics secular to appeal to as many people as possible, but with Daredevil I don't care. Mostly because every time I have seen it done it was ever over the top.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By renamed040924

Yes, the man who dresses as a devil to prey on the fears of criminals at night, being the man who goes to church to pray to God and convicts those criminals in court during the day, is a fantastic dichotomy that defines Matt Murdock's character.

pastepotpete1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes i do actually

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yes

cornbreadfed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What Nick said

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
    Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the only thing that I find very interesting in him...

Ravengrey32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know he was a catholic because I have never read Daredevil comics before

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes I DO like thae fact that Daredevil is Catholic(as are other Marvel heroes/heroines such as the X-Men's Nightcrawler( Kurt Wagner) who is from Bavaria( a predominantly Catholic area of Southern Germany which produced Blessed Francis Xavier Seelos as well as Benedict XVI)!, Bruce Banner,(Hulk) the Invisible Woman and Human Torch, anti heroes like Venom(aka Eddie Brock), the Punisher( Frank Castle, a former seminarian before he became a US Marine and ultimately a black clad vigilante) whereas the Thing(Bashful Ben Grimm), Shadowcat (Kitty Pryde), Moon Knight(Marc Spector) and the late Doc Samson are all of the "Hebraic persuasion"- ie Jewish.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who went to Catholic schools from grade 1 thru 12 (even though I don't bother with religion or belief now) I do like that they explicitly keep Matt a Catholic. It shouldn't define him, but it should add to his character. Once in a while, a flashback or comment on his Catholic upbringing is nice mixed with the so-called 'Catholic Guilt'.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.