Follow

Daredevil

Character » Daredevil appears in 4764 issues.

As a child, Matt Murdock was blinded by radioactive waste while trying to save an elderly stranger about to get hit by a truck carrying the dangerous material. In turn, his other senses were heightened to superhuman sharpness and he gained a form of "radar sense". By day, he is a successful trial lawyer; but by night, he guards Hell's Kitchen as Daredevil: the Man Without Fear.

Comic Creators Mark Waid, Mike Allred, Chris Samnee and Paolo Rivera Talk DAREDEVIL

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Earlier today the DAREDEVIL creative team got together to discuss the direction of their book, and to give readers a peek at some of the interior pages of the series' July issue, DAREDEVIL #15 and #17. Mark Waid, Mike Allred, Chris Samnee and Paolo Rivera started the discussion by reveling in the success of the series thus far. DAREDEVIL has become one of Marvel's most popular titles, and one that has been incredibly (and consistently) well received by critics.

No Caption Provided

`"It's great," Waid said, adding that he's never had this level of critical acclaim in his career. "It is really gratifying, and it makes it much easier to sit at the keyboard every day."

And although Waid and Rivera are both extremely happy with the overall reception, that doesn't mean they weren't the least bit intimidated about coming onto the title.

`Waid says he was intimidated by what Kevin Smith did in Daredevil back in the late '90s, and since then it's been a succession of great talent in the book. Waid says he was tempted to say no at first, but was convinced in that Marvel wanted it to be more of a superhero book, while keeping street-level elements.

And while Waid has had a great time working on the title with Rivera, he's also definitely looking forward to working with artist Chris Samnee on the book. Samnee, who will be taking over for Rivera, is also excited about working on the series and his approach will be very different to that of Rivera's. As for Rivera, he'll still be illustrating covers for DAREDEVIL but he "may try some creator owned projects."

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

Black Cat, according to Waid, won't be appearing in DAREDEVIL any time soon; so anyone looking for a long term relationship sprouting between her character and DD may have to sit tight. She is, however according to Waid, "definitely due for a return visit."

In recent issues, Foggy has been obviously concerned for Matt's mental health and overall well-being. Waid reveals that these "suspicions" of Foggy's may be "redeemed in the near future."

Artist Mike Allred, who will be joining Waid as the cover artist for DAREDEVIL #17 indicated that he received the gig thanks to a fan letter he submitted to Marvel. According to Allred, he's "been a Daredevil fan since he was hanging from monkey bars in elementary school."

Waid revealed that Stilt-Man will be the villain for Allred's issue; one that Waid feels is "perfect" for Allred to draw.

What do you think of the three interior pages of DAREDEVIL #15 by Chris Samnee? Are you looking forward to seeing Allred's work on DAREDEVIL #17? You can check out the full interview transcript here for anything we may have missed.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Source: Marvel

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By zackattack529

why are thye changing cover artist, the regular cover artist has been great!? maybe one of the best..i love every cover that has been on the DD title. i hope it still keeps its greatness with the change

Blizaga101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Blizaga101

@zackattack529: its only for this one issue it is a different artist on the cover, then itll return to rivera afterwards.

im looking forward to alreds issue, i love i,zombie so its a great treat. not sure bout samne though, dont know much about him

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Anything with Chris Samnee I go for! This will really be great.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#4  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I hate this series 

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By KainScion

@spiderbat87: we dont care.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I don't know when, but Paolo Rivera wrote on his blog that he will be leaving Daredevil and Marvel comics.

http://paolorivera.blogspot.com/2012/06/end-of-era.html

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @KainScion

@spiderbat87: we dont care.

And I dont care what you think
    KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By KainScion

@spiderbat87: go take your hate somewhere else.

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By feebadger

I gave this one a try on the Vines' recommendation and i just don't get it. What is it that people are loving about this one so much? Seriously?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @KainScion

@spiderbat87: go take your hate somewhere else.

The article asked my opinion on the series and I answered, it went from my favorite book to being dropped
    chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By chalkshark

@KainScion: The man is entitled to his opinion. The truth of the matter is that Daredevilhas undergone a massive tonal shift. If one were extremely appreciative of the take that Miller, Smith, Bendis, & Brubaker had on the character, then it's well within the realm of possibility that one would not cotton to the current Waid run. I've been diligently filling in my Daredevil collection for several years now, so I can appreciate a return to the more swashbuckling characterization of the Silver Age Daredevil. That said, it's not necessarily what everyone wants. It's super cool if you love it. It's also super cool if spiderbat87 doesn't. We all have books we love. We all have books we hate.

Solarflare32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Solarflare32

Bullseye still dead?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By daredevil21134

@spiderbat87 said:

I hate this series

You and me both

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By daredevil21134

@feebadger said:

I gave this one a try on the Vines' recommendation and i just don't get it. What is it that people are loving about this one so much? Seriously?

I have been collecting DD for a very long time and I can't stand this series.So I don't know.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @chalkshark said:

@KainScion: The man is entitled to his opinion. The truth of the matter is that Daredevilhas undergone a massive tonal shift. If one were extremely appreciative of the take that Miller, Smith, Bendis, & Brubaker had on the character, then it's well within the realm of possibility that one would not cotton to the current Waid run. I've been diligently filling in my Daredevil collection for several years now, so I can appreciate a return to the more swashbuckling characterization of the Silver Age Daredevil. That said, it's not necessarily what everyone wants. It's super cool if you love it. It's also super cool if spiderbat87 doesn't. We all have books we love. We all have books we hate.

Yea, it was the Noir element that attracted me to DD in the first place, the tone and style just made it that much more interesting as Marvel really doesn't have many books that fit that category but now it just reads like "generic superhero book #832" 
    WildStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By WildStyle

Daredevil is such a weird series to hate on imo. I understand somebody who digs the more darker Daredevil style disliking the current change but hate is such a strong word.

I'm just a fan of Daredevil period so I'm digging this new take on the character. It doesn't hurt that the series is actually a quality comic.

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By chalkshark

@spiderbat87: You're definitely correct in your assessment regarding the lack of noir-themed titles at Marvel. I guess Rucka's Punisher is all that's left, at the moment. Might want to give Dynamite's Spider series a shot, if noir is your particular cup of tea. Or The Shadow, though I, personally, prefer the artwork in the Spider.

To be fair, I think the artwork in Daredevil elevates it above your standard, generic super-hero title, but I've always been more appreciative of comic art over comic writing.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By DanialCarroll

Love this series, but it's too hard to tell if I like the new art just from the inks. I need to see it coloured :)

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @chalkshark said:

@spiderbat87: You're definitely correct in your assessment regarding the lack of noir-themed titles at Marvel. I guess Rucka's Punisher is all that's left, at the moment. Might want to give Dynamite's Spider series a shot, if noir is your particular cup of tea. Or The Shadow, though I, personally, prefer the artwork in the Spider.

To be fair, I think the artwork in Daredevil elevates it above your standard, generic super-hero title, but I've always been more appreciative of comic art over comic writing.

Yea I'm getting The Shadow and The Spider. When I first heard Bendis was taking over Moon Knight I thought he was going to recreate the magic he had on his DD run because that character if perfect for a Noir book but no such luck
    the_fallen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By the_fallen11

Daredevil is my favorite Marvel hero. I started with Bendis' run then read Miller's and then Brubaker's. while I do feel like DD has been established as a more darker noir character..I do feel that this new silver-aged direction feels forced. This series has surprised me and I am enjoying it for what it is...the art matches well with Waids take on DD but I do very much miss my dark brooding Daredevil. *sighs* but for now I am enjoying it.

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By chalkshark

@spiderbat87: I had the exact same thought regarding Moon Knight. I thought, ultimately, that it was a pretty bad take on the character. I honestly don't understand why Marvel can't get a decent Moon Knight title in publication. It's not a hard character to grasp.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By daredevil21134

@the_fallen11 said:

Daredevil is my favorite Marvel hero. I started with Bendis' run then read Miller's and then Brubaker's. while I do feel like DD has been established as a more darker noir character..I do feel that this new silver-aged direction feels forced. This series has surprised me and I am enjoying it for what it is...the art matches well with Waids take on DD but I do very much miss my dark brooding Daredevil. *sighs* but for now I am enjoying it.

He's my favorite hero too and I really want to enjoy the series but I can't lol

CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By CombatSpoon86

Allred and Samnee :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.