Follow

Dan Slott

Person » Dan Slott is credited in 1275 issues.

Dan Slott is an American comic book writer best known for Avengers: The Initiative, Mighty Avengers, She-Hulk, and The Amazing Spider-Man. His decade-long Spider-Man tenure included the controversial Superior Spider-Man, in which Peter Parker had been replaced by Dr. Otto Octavious. Dan Slott currently writes the Fantastic Four.

In Which I Get Into An Argument With Dan Slott

PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By PumpkinBomb

I thought some of you might be amused to read Dan Slott going berserk online and proving that he has no understanding of comic art. There's more, but these are the key bits. I've since come to the conclusion that he spends his time searching CBR for insults to the integrity of his comic instead of actually, you know, scripting it.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showpost.php?p=12625792&postcount=104
    http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showpost.php?p=12625879&postcount=106 
    http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showpost.php?p=12626010&postcount=110
     http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showpost.php?p=12626131&postcount=113

Then I got a friend of mine who does animation and sculpture to look at Martin's portfolio and he confirmed that the guy was either chronically lazy or had no depth perception. (If you're wondering what the profanity jibe is a reference to, http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showpost.php?p=12281500&postcount=53

Edit: If you're wondering what my point is, look at the images Slott links to and how they directly disprove his own points. 
    Edit 2: You may only be amused if you have artistic training.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By InnerVenom123

I love that he gave you a link to lens crafters. LMFAO.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By InnerVenom123

I don't really have a problem with Martin's art anyway, in all seriousness.

PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PumpkinBomb
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " I don't really have a problem with Martin's art anyway, in all seriousness. "
    The point wasn't so much that we disagreed about Martin's artistic abilities as that he seems to think the guy is better than Steve Ditko, Tim Sale and Mike Mignola.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @PumpkinBomb: Ah.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By InnerVenom123

Is it wrong that I enjoyed him saying "Go f*ck yourself" to that guy who said he was just doing it for the cash? 

Because I just find that awesome for some reason.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By danhimself

I've got to agree with Mr. Slott...it's your opinion and you're entitled to it but running around bashing the guy's work isn't cool

I personally think that Marcos Martin is a great artist and I loved his work on Batgirl Year One

Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Precise

Yup, gotta agree with danhimself and Mr. Slott.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#8  Edited By SC  Moderator

Strange, I usually really enjoy your posts PumpkinBomb, this one I don't quite get, Slott seems like your typical poster really, rather than a berserk one. lol Comic art is complex, I won't question your understanding of it, since if its half as good as your understanding of genetics then its better than most, but barring some of his phrasing, Slott made some reasonably objective points, not proving anything, but justifying the artists skill. I didn't read thought the thread, did you bring up an artist to compare with as examples of where you thought Martin was lacking?

PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PumpkinBomb
    @danhimself said:
    " I've got to agree with Mr. Slott...it's your opinion and you're entitled to it but running around bashing the guy's work isn't cool"
    It was a forum thread about the quality of his art. That's where you state your opinions, believe it or not.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By danhimself
    @PumpkinBomb said:
    " @danhimself said:
    " I've got to agree with Mr. Slott...it's your opinion and you're entitled to it but running around bashing the guy's work isn't cool"
    It was a forum thread about the quality of his art. That's where you state your opinions, believe it or not. "
    there's a difference between stating an opinion and straight up bashing
    PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PumpkinBomb
    @SC said:
    " Strange, I usually really enjoy your posts PumpkinBomb, this one I don't quite get, Slott seems like your typical poster really, rather than a berserk one. lol Comic art is complex, I won't question your understanding of it, since if its half as good as your understanding of genetics then its better than most, but barring some of his phrasing, Slott made some reasonably objective points, not proving anything, but justifying the artists skill. I didn't read thought the thread, did you bring up an artist to compare with as examples of where you thought Martin was lacking? "
    Yeah, but it was in response to another poster so I didn't link it here.
    PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PumpkinBomb
    @aztek the lost said:
    " yeah, can't say I get who's side I'm supposed to be on here...Slott doesn't seem to be doing anything wrong "
    Did you look at the images he linked as "evidence'? 
    Maybe this is an artist-only thing, but my friend and I spent the better part of an hour laughing at him.
    PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PumpkinBomb
    @danhimself said:
    " @PumpkinBomb said:
    " @danhimself said:
    It was a forum thread about the quality of his art. That's where you state your opinions, believe it or not. "
    there's a difference between stating an opinion and straight up bashing "
    There's a difference between straight up bashing and bringing up legitimate concerns about an artist's grasp of anatomy.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By danhimself
    @PumpkinBomb said:
    " @danhimself said:
    " @PumpkinBomb said:
    " @danhimself said:
    There's a difference between straight up bashing and bringing up legitimate concerns about an artist's grasp of anatomy. "
    where's your artwork showing that you're better?
    PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PumpkinBomb
    @danhimself said:
    " @PumpkinBomb said:
    " @danhimself said:
    " @PumpkinBomb said:
    " @danhimself said:
    There's a difference between straight up bashing and bringing up legitimate concerns about an artist's grasp of anatomy. "
    where's your artwork showing that you're better? "
    I'm not claiming I'm a better artist. I'm saying that I have a better understanding of how human joints and muscles work.
    PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PumpkinBomb
    @aztek the lost said:
    " @PumpkinBomb said:
    " @aztek the lost said:
    " yeah, can't say I get who's side I'm supposed to be on here...Slott doesn't seem to be doing anything wrong "
    Did you look at the images he linked as "evidence'? Maybe this is an artist-only thing, but my friend and I spent the better part of an hour laughing at him. "
    ah, sorry, just read the first one...didn't know the links formed an ongoing conversation...well...it was interesting...I'm an appreciator of art rather than a critic though so I can't really take a side in this...but Slott definitely didn't seem berserk or anything of the sort...I've gone more berserk when defending a friend than he did "
    He wrote a passive-aggressive essay longer than his average comic book to protest a one-sentence opinion that wasn't addressed to him in the first place. Maybe it was a liberal use of language, but I think he should be spending his time writing his own series instead of bashing Steve Ditko in online forums.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @PumpkinBomb: Because writers have no free time? :P
    PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PumpkinBomb
    @aztek the lost said:
    "but again, I see nothing wrong with the intent there...as I said, I've gone on huge rants myself when someone directed a negative comment toward a friend of mine on the Internet...so for that part, I don't believe he did anything wrong...it may seem stupid to "yell" at someone over the Internet but until we can finally stab them in the face over the internet, ranting will have to do "
    I just think it's a waste of everyone's time and an insult to his reader's intelligence for him to link to random artwork by each penciller and claim that it represents either sheer brilliance or a fatal flaw in their complete body of work. The Tim Sale page is literally the first image that pops up when you Google his name. And there's nothing wrong with it.
    PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PumpkinBomb
    @aztek the lost said:
    " @PumpkinBomb said:
    " @aztek the lost said:
    "but again, I see nothing wrong with the intent there...as I said, I've gone on huge rants myself when someone directed a negative comment toward a friend of mine on the Internet...so for that part, I don't believe he did anything wrong...it may seem stupid to "yell" at someone over the Internet but until we can finally stab them in the face over the internet, ranting will have to do "
    I just think it's a waste of everyone's time and an insult to his reader's intelligence for him to link to random artwork by each penciller and claim that it represents either sheer brilliance or a fatal flaw in their complete body of work. The Tim Sale page is literally the first image that pops up when you Google his name. And there's nothing wrong with it. "
    I don't think there's anything "wrong" with it myself but when I look at the Superman (that is who it is right? I'm not sure what comic that's from...) in the bottom panel, the way he's standing look's off to me personally but still...it's no Greg Land or anything atrocious like that "
    I was complaining about anatomical problems and he linked me to a guy in an overcoat in silhouette.
    PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PumpkinBomb

So, Steve Wacker just ripped on me. Such is life.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.