Follow

Cyclops

Character » Cyclops appears in 11232 issues.

The first X-Man, Scott Summers possesses the mutant ability to fire powerful concussive blasts through his eyes that act as a portal to another dimension full of the force that makes up his optic blast. He is visually distinctive for the ruby quartz visor he wears to control his devastating power. A born leader, Cyclops succeeded his mentor Professor X to command the X-Men.

"X-Perts" on Cyclops

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    http://marvel.com/news/story/16136/the_x-perts_cyclops

Cyclops is one of Marvel's most maligned and most complex characters, here's the current X-Writers and Editors' view on the character.  
    In this fan's opinion;
    • Mike Carey understands him best.
    • Lowe certainly knows what he's talking about.
    • Victor Gischler barely knows what day it is.
    • Aaron likes Scott and Emma as a couple, so he earns points for that, but he really doesn't seem to understand the character beyond the obvious.
    • Gillen and Remender have a nice first year interpretation of Cyclops; either could write him in a "good enough" sense, neither would write him as well as he should be written.
    So how does all this tie into the future of the X-Men;

Jason Aaron shouldn't be writing Schism, as it's clearly going to be written from a perspective that favours Logan. Whether this is intentional or not is not the issue, it's going to happen. 

Mike Carey should be writing Schism, or Paul Jenkins. Both are vastly superior writers to any of the above, and far more qualified to handle the no-doubt sensitive subject matter that will arise.  

What do you think?
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By fodigg
    @FadeToBlackBolt: Could you give a few details on how you view the character? Maybe a defining story arc?
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SC  Moderator

I like that my two favorite X-writers (Gillen and Carey) gave what I consider the best, most thorough answers. Giving a detail of depth to the character, still presenting us a flawed and real character, yet still allowing us to see the bigger picture, the pro and positive and heroic side of the character. In fact if I were knew to comics, I would probably end up walking away from that discussion with those two as my favorites anyway. 

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @fodigg: Yep, no worries.

Cyclops is my favourite Marvel character, edging out Spidey. His best writers, in my opinion, have been Grant Morrison, Joss Whedon and Warren Ellis.  

Leadership:
    All of the above understood what makes Scott great. Cyclops is crippled with self-doubt, this is evident in every decision he makes, that he's ever made. As was shown in Astonishing X-Men, and stated by Mike Carey in the interview above; Scott didn't choose or want to be leader. Charles made Scott leader, and why'd he do that? Because he had nothing else in his life. Hank was a genius, Warren was a rich super-hunk, Jean was an incredibly powerful goddess who Xavier favoured, even Bobby was a confident guy with a loving family. Scott was that weird kid, with no family, no friends and an "eye condition". Charles made him leader to give the kid something to work toward. What Xavier didn't realise at the time, was that Scott was learning and adapting. Cyclops has always questioned himself, and that turned into a constant internal questioning of everything around him. Naturally, this could be misconstrued as paranoia, but it became more of an awareness of the faults and strengths of those around him; which is why he's such an excellent tactictian. He was able to view Magneto's philosophy with the same open-mindedness that he did Xavier's, concluding that for mutants to survive, safety must come before integration; an idea that neither Charles or Erik subscribe to. Magneto views dominance as the only means of achieving a future for mutants, while Charles sees assimilation as the only chance. Scott's view lies somewhere in the middle, he doesn't wish to dominate, but he believes that humans should assimilate into mutant culture as well.  And the best way to do that at the moment, is to make sure that mutants have a tomorrow, hence his Isolationist policy. 

Personality: 
    Cyclops' power, as with a lot of mutants, is analogous to his personality. It's constantly in a state of pure uncontrollable destructive energy, that he's forced to control, channel and unleash at specific times. When Scott was with Jean, she enjoyed him being a quiet, duty-minded and idealistic individual who loved her, and little else. One of the reasons I dislike Jean Grey is that she was selfish. Scott Summers has struggled with self-esteem issues his entire life, and rather than try to help him, she flirts with Logan, and subconsiously encourages him to be more like Wolverine; which is something Scott can't do. Wolverine is a being who exists in a constant state of rage, who's able to calm it. Scott, on the other hand, can't calm it, he has to bottle it up. It Wolverine had Cyclops' personality, he'd have stabbed everyone by now, and similarly, if Cyclops had Logan's personality, he'd be a terrible leader, as he'd rule with his emotions rather than with pragmaticism. Scott doesn't do that, he effectively creates an ideal leader within himself, in what I believe is an attempt to make Professor X proud of him as a son. Xavier gave him this role, and Scott wants to fulfill it perfectly, which is why he is able to separate his humanity from his decisions. He creates, in himself, the reality and the human. He is completely pragmatic, and accomplishes this by closing himself off. Emma, when she started her relationship with Scott, understood this, and rather than ignore it, or ask him to unload all at once, she simply accepted this and loved him for it. Emma would ask how he was, and if he was bottled up, she would simply be there. Jean, however, would press the issue, which is something you can't do when Scott is in "Leader-Mode". His merger with Apocalypse very much caused him to see himself as a flawed human being, and embrace his human side, and in doing so, made him a stronger person. Effectively, rather than seeing attacks on his leadership as personal attacks, which he did formerly (like when he left after Storm became leader), he sees attacks on his leadership as attacks on his leadership. Fortunately though, this allows him to view the issue on its merits, and decide that he's right (which he is). Of course, constant challenges do chip away at him and because he's been in Leader Mode for so long, he hasn't been able to switch off. He hasn't been able to have dinner with Emma and watch a movie. The fact he barely acknowledged Kurt's and Cable's deaths was criticized by many (including myself) at first, but it was actually accurate. Scott can't break, for one second. He can't stop being the Leader. 
     He knows what he's doing is right and that if he breaks, mutantkind will break with him, it will collapse to Xavier's idealism, or be destroyed by Magneto's warmongering. 

He is the Messiah of the Mutant race, not Hope.

As for defining story arcs; Morrison's New X-Men, particularly Murder at the Mansion, Assault on Weapon Plus and Planet X, and Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, particularly Torn and Dangerous.
    VesKaGan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By VesKaGan
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:

As was shown in Astonishing X-Men, and stated by Mike Carey in the interview above; Scott didn't choose or want to be leader. Charles made Scott leader, and why'd he do that? Because he had nothing else in his life. Hank was a genius, Warren was a rich super-hunk, Jean was an incredibly powerful goddess who Xavier favoured, even Bobby was a confident guy with a loving family. Scott was that weird kid, with no family, no friends and an "eye condition". Charles made him leader to give the kid something to work toward. 

Oh yeah, that was during "Torn". But I always thought Emma was just feeding his self-doubt at that time in order to break him. 
    In his "Origins"-one-shot Xavier states, that its his ability to lead and inspire (I don't know the exact wording, because thats one of the few books I only have the translated version of) that made him chose Scott. 

Anyway, nice summary, I really enjoyed reading it :)
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @VesKaGan said:
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:

As was shown in Astonishing X-Men, and stated by Mike Carey in the interview above; Scott didn't choose or want to be leader. Charles made Scott leader, and why'd he do that? Because he had nothing else in his life. Hank was a genius, Warren was a rich super-hunk, Jean was an incredibly powerful goddess who Xavier favoured, even Bobby was a confident guy with a loving family. Scott was that weird kid, with no family, no friends and an "eye condition". Charles made him leader to give the kid something to work toward. 

Oh yeah, that was during "Torn". But I always thought Emma was just feeding his self-doubt at that time in order to break him.  In his "Origins"-one-shot Xavier states, that its his ability to lead and inspire (I don't know the exact wording, because thats one of the few books I only have the translated version of) that made him chose Scott.   Anyway, nice summary, I really enjoyed reading it :)
    Thanks for reading :)

I think it's a bit of both, tbh. That Xavier gave it to him because of his ability to lead, but Scott's sees it as being because he had nothing else. In a perception is reality sense, it's both :)
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Amegashita
    @FadeToBlackBolt:  Excellent character Analysis Fade, you really showed off your knowledge of Scott as a character.  Not a lot of people can even do that.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Amegashita: Thank you very much ^_^
    lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9  Edited By lorex
    @FadeToBlackBolt

I agree with your take on the various X-Men writers and for the most part your analysis of Cyclops. Also I don't know if anyone else feels this way but it seems to me that this notion of Wolverine as a leadership alternative to Cyclops seems like its being forced on us by the editors or from even higher up the Marvel/DIsney food chain than a natural evolution of resent story lines.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @lorex: I agree. It doesn't feel organic at all, especially since Logan hasn't really complained about Scott's leadership at all (in Utopia). It would make more sense for Beast to be the one seceding.
    One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By One_Eye
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @fodigg: Yep, no worries.  Cyclops is my favourite Marvel character, edging out Spidey. His best writers, in my opinion, have been Grant Morrison, Joss Whedon and Warren Ellis.     Leadership:All of the above understood what makes Scott great. Cyclops is crippled with self-doubt, this is evident in every decision he makes, that he's ever made. As was shown in Astonishing X-Men, and stated by Mike Carey in the interview above; Scott didn't choose or want to be leader. Charles made Scott leader, and why'd he do that? Because he had nothing else in his life. Hank was a genius, Warren was a rich super-hunk, Jean was an incredibly powerful goddess who Xavier favoured, even Bobby was a confident guy with a loving family. Scott was that weird kid, with no family, no friends and an "eye condition". Charles made him leader to give the kid something to work toward. What Xavier didn't realise at the time, was that Scott was learning and adapting. Cyclops has always questioned himself, and that turned into a constant internal questioning of everything around him. Naturally, this could be misconstrued as paranoia, but it became more of an awareness of the faults and strengths of those around him; which is why he's such an excellent tactictian. He was able to view Magneto's philosophy with the same open-mindedness that he did Xavier's, concluding that for mutants to survive, safety must come before integration; an idea that neither Charles or Erik subscribe to. Magneto views dominance as the only means of achieving a future for mutants, while Charles sees assimilation as the only chance. Scott's view lies somewhere in the middle, he doesn't wish to dominate, but he believes that humans should assimilate into mutant culture as well.  And the best way to do that at the moment, is to make sure that mutants have a tomorrow, hence his Isolationist policy.   Personality:  Cyclops' power, as with a lot of mutants, is analogous to his personality. It's constantly in a state of pure uncontrollable destructive energy, that he's forced to control, channel and unleash at specific times. When Scott was with Jean, she enjoyed him being a quiet, duty-minded and idealistic individual who loved her, and little else. One of the reasons I dislike Jean Grey is that she was selfish. Scott Summers has struggled with self-esteem issues his entire life, and rather than try to help him, she flirts with Logan, and subconsiously encourages him to be more like Wolverine; which is something Scott can't do. Wolverine is a being who exists in a constant state of rage, who's able to calm it. Scott, on the other hand, can't calm it, he has to bottle it up. It Wolverine had Cyclops' personality, he'd have stabbed everyone by now, and similarly, if Cyclops had Logan's personality, he'd be a terrible leader, as he'd rule with his emotions rather than with pragmaticism. Scott doesn't do that, he effectively creates an ideal leader within himself, in what I believe is an attempt to make Professor X proud of him as a son. Xavier gave him this role, and Scott wants to fulfill it perfectly, which is why he is able to separate his humanity from his decisions. He creates, in himself, the reality and the human. He is completely pragmatic, and accomplishes this by closing himself off. Emma, when she started her relationship with Scott, understood this, and rather than ignore it, or ask him to unload all at once, she simply accepted this and loved him for it. Emma would ask how he was, and if he was bottled up, she would simply be there. Jean, however, would press the issue, which is something you can't do when Scott is in "Leader-Mode". His merger with Apocalypse very much caused him to see himself as a flawed human being, and embrace his human side, and in doing so, made him a stronger person. Effectively, rather than seeing attacks on his leadership as personal attacks, which he did formerly (like when he left after Storm became leader), he sees attacks on his leadership as attacks on his leadership. Fortunately though, this allows him to view the issue on its merits, and decide that he's right (which he is). Of course, constant challenges do chip away at him and because he's been in Leader Mode for so long, he hasn't been able to switch off. He hasn't been able to have dinner with Emma and watch a movie. The fact he barely acknowledged Kurt's and Cable's deaths was criticized by many (including myself) at first, but it was actually accurate. Scott can't break, for one second. He can't stop being the Leader.   He knows what he's doing is right and that if he breaks, mutantkind will break with him, it will collapse to Xavier's idealism, or be destroyed by Magneto's warmongering.   He is the Messiah of the Mutant race, not Hope.   As for defining story arcs; Morrison's New X-Men, particularly Murder at the Mansion, Assault on Weapon Plus and Planet X, and Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, particularly Torn and Dangerous.
    You make me proud to be a Cykes fan, bro.:) Couldn't have said it better myself!
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @One_Eye: Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed reading it ^_^
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @AngelDust616: Thank you ^_^
    Lokheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lokheit
    @FadeToBlackBolt:  Very well put. When I read the "x-perts" stuff on marvel.com I also though that some of them really didn't know too much about him and could screw things up basing the entire arc on decissions made totally out of character.  

Some weeks ago I wrote in my blog how Schism could be made in order to fix things but maintain everyone in character: http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/lokheit/saving-scott-the-real-deal/87-69489/ 

But with each new article about the story arc and the confirmation of the group split, my hopes on that stuff are starting to fade. But maybe my theory is true or close to true and this is some sort of smoke courtain and the division is simply made as a secondary team to do missions while the main team works on Utopia, who knows... after Scott and Logan discussing how things should be made. Keeping my hopes high (even with that "all conducts to a big 2012 event" stuff).

The only thing that really made me happy was Jason Aaron saying that Emma and Scotty is his favourite couple. So they are going to be together as opposed to some rumours of Emma joining Wolverine in case of a split based on that Bachalo art. Or maybe if this isn't indeed a break up but a new scheme of doing things, Emma would still be Cyclops couple but she will operate on Logan's team dedicated to missions out of Utopia so she can breath a bit (she loves Scott, but she hates staying on Utopia).
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Mercy_

Just went through and read this today...I have so much faith in Gillen to write Uncanny. He truly gets these characters in a way that Matt Fraction could never hope to.  

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    Just went through and read this today...I have so much faith in Gillen to write Uncanny. He truly gets these characters in a way that Matt Fraction could never hope to.  

He reminds me of Carey.  

You should hit up his Formspring as well, he almost always answers questions as well. His Storms answers were the best, and I can't wait to read what he says about Magneto, Emma and Xavier. (Gillen is also the type of writer to have read a lot of the book he has written)
    Edgeworth_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Edgeworth_11
    @FadeToBlackBolt: I agree with what you say! I feel these things just hard to put it all into words! Hope when all the dust is settled Cyclops is still around and leading Uncanny X-Men.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Mercy_
    @angeldust616 said:
    @The Dark Huntress: I agree with 100% there. It's too bad Wolverine is getting Chris Bachalo while Uncanny X-Men is getting Greg Land. >_>
    UNCANNY'S GETTING PACHECO! :DDDD Land'll still be there, but my god, we're getting Pacheco :D
    Avatar image for apatheticavenger
    ApatheticAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -3

#21  Edited By ApatheticAvenger

@The Dark Huntress: You know what, it's worth it to look on the bright side of things. :D

Pacheco will probably be more than enough to make for Land. Still wish Bachalo would do some work on Uncanny, I may pick up some issues of Wolverine and the X-Men for the sole reason of enjoying his art. :P

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.