Follow

Cyclops

Character » Cyclops appears in 11232 issues.

The first X-Man, Scott Summers possesses the mutant ability to fire powerful concussive blasts through his eyes that act as a portal to another dimension full of the force that makes up his optic blast. He is visually distinctive for the ruby quartz visor he wears to control his devastating power. A born leader, Cyclops succeeded his mentor Professor X to command the X-Men.

Why dosent he where an inhibitor braclet?

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By warlock360

guess its his trademark and he probably is used to it.

Magick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Magick

Cyke is always stuck with his visor on or his sun glasses. How come he dosent just where an mutant inhibitor braclet, and take it of when he has to fight?

Avatar image for lantern_of_hatred
    Lantern Of Hatred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Lantern Of Hatred

he has not the skills, to remove a braclet in the thick of combat, plus he would be firing a continuous beam till it was back on

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#4  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

That would actually be a good idea. You could take it a step further and give it a trigger (like his visor) so he can turn it on and off even faster without having to take off the bracelet. The trigger could even be a mental one to increase his speed even more. By then he'd be pretty much how he'd be if he never fallen out of the plane. This most likely won't ever happen though because his visor and his "disability" are big parts of his character.

EpicNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EpicNinja

The Visor acts as a control for Scott. The mental block on his brain does not allow control over his power that he should have. If he used an inhibitor bracelet, when he removed it he would not have the ability to choose the size of his beams. This is why the visor is used instead. The size and width of his beams are controlled on the side of the visor and in the fingertips of his gloves. Allowing him various combinations of X,Y,Z axis of the beam. With the inhibitor he would have no such control. If however he gained that control again he would have no need for an inhibitor or a visor.

Another theory I have is, the inhibitor would keep him from absorbing energy while it was on his arm. So after taking the bracelet off in battle or drastic cases, he would have to wait to absorb energy before he could fire his concussive blast. Remember his body does not produce energy for the blast, it just converts the absorbed energy into the beam.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#6  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Stop trying to confuse me with logic ninja-guy.

Avatar image for akira_overdrive
    Akira Overdrive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Akira Overdrive

Buckshot says:

"Stop trying to confuse me with logic ninja-guy."

Thats what ninjas do..

EpicNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EpicNinja

Akira Overdrive says:

"Buckshot says:
    "Stop trying to confuse me with logic ninja-guy."

Thats what ninjas do.."

Or do they....

DFChewie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DFChewie
    EpicNinja said:
    "

The Visor acts as a control for Scott. The mental block on his brain does not allow control over his power that he should have. If he used an inhibitor bracelet, when he removed it he would not have the ability to choose the size of his beams. This is why the visor is used instead. The size and width of his beams are controlled on the side of the visor and in the fingertips of his gloves. Allowing him various combinations of X,Y,Z axis of the beam. With the inhibitor he would have no such control. If however he gained that control again he would have no need for an inhibitor or a visor.

Another theory I have is, the inhibitor would keep him from absorbing energy while it was on his arm. So after taking the bracelet off in battle or drastic cases, he would have to wait to absorb energy before he could fire his concussive blast. Remember his body does not produce energy for the blast, it just converts the absorbed energy into the beam.

"
    I agree, except I'm not sure he could control the focus of the blast if he had complete control. In Astonishing X-Men, he temporarily gained control but it seemed like he could only fire a generic blast. I think that's all the visor, and he'd probably still use it if he had complete control -- he just wouldn't need the glasses anymore.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#10  Edited By xerox_kitty

I guess the same principle applies to Rogue.  At the very least she could wear one for dates ;)

Am I right in thinking that his powers are also solar derived, or was that a crazy addition from the animated series?  So perhaps if he were to get lot underground he might be able to see without the visor??  Actually, my memory is kinda fuzzy right now, but I don't think Cyclops ever made the best use of having Leech around during the early X-Factor days.  
    DFChewie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DFChewie

I think it's that he absorbs solar energy, which is stored in a pocket dimension and released through dimensional apertures in front of his eyes (between eyeball and eyelid).

The sunlight absorption and the dimensional apertures are both in canon, and they kinda retcon each other, but this theory works.

G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By G'bandit

he looks cool with the shades!

Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Meteorite

The fact that Cyke's powers are uncontrollable are one of the things that make his character so awesome. With the power to control it he's just some boring as guy named Scott.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AtPhantom

Cyclops I can understand, cause he can't control it without the visor and all, but why doesn't Rogue get one? that would certainly make things easier for her.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gunswordfist
    AtPhantom said:
    "Cyclops I can understand, cause he can't control it without the visor and all, but why doesn't Rogue get one? that would certainly make things easier for her."

Yeah that would make my date with Rogue a lot easier.
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Korg

It would also completely destroy like 30 years of character development. Their limitations and flaws make them more heroic.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#17  Edited By gmanfromheck
    xerox-kitty said:
    "I guess the same principle applies to Rogue.  At the very least she could wear one for dates ;)
    Am I right in thinking that his powers are also solar derived, or was that a crazy addition from the animated series?  So perhaps if he were to get lot underground he might be able to see without the visor??  Actually, my memory is kinda fuzzy right now, but I don't think Cyclops ever made the best use of having Leech around during the early X-Factor days.  
    "
    She should totally do that.  Especially if she wanted a little somethin'-somethin.'
    gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gunswordfist
    G-Man said:
    "xerox-kitty said:
    "I guess the same principle applies to Rogue.  At the very least she could wear one for dates ;)
    "
    She should totally do that.  Especially if she wanted a little somethin'-somethin.'"

That's what I'm here for.
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By John Valentine
    Korg said:
    Their limitations and flaws make them more heroic."

That's totally true.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#20  Edited By xerox_kitty
    G-Man said:
    "xerox-kitty said:
    I guess the same principle applies to Rogue.  At the very least she could wear one for dates ;)
    She should totally do that.  Especially if she wanted a little somethin'-somethin.'"
    Something something something Dark Side?? ;)
    Poor Rogue, her first "somethin'-somethin'" was  when she was held prisoner in Genosha, and Wipeout had removed her powers.  I never really understood what was implied when I read it as a kid, but re-reading it now... That's pretty strong stuff for a 1980's comic.

Cyclops never had to worry about that.  He's had other things to distract him, like all the psycho telepaths he seems to attract... I guess when hot chicks can read your mind, they don't care about what colour your eyes are :p
    DFChewie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DFChewie

Dur. His eyes are red! ;)

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Korg

Actually, his eyes are brown/hazel. We've seen them plenty of times.

Constantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Constantine

he should have a inhibitor as well as glasses

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.