Follow

Cyclops

Character » Cyclops appears in 11232 issues.

The first X-Man, Scott Summers possesses the mutant ability to fire powerful concussive blasts through his eyes that act as a portal to another dimension full of the force that makes up his optic blast. He is visually distinctive for the ruby quartz visor he wears to control his devastating power. A born leader, Cyclops succeeded his mentor Professor X to command the X-Men.

Which Era Cyclops Do Fans Prefer and Why?

• 54 results
    One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By One_Eye

Hey, folks how's it going? As you can tell from both my icon and name I'm a Cyclops fan. During my many excursions on the internet I've stumbled across a blog site known stormantic.com and found some rather interesting reads((most of them of course focused on Storm)). While I'm not sure how many people have heard of this site what I found of interest was this...

No Caption Provided

The above image is illustrated by Alan Davis in which Scott is pleading his case as the writers were contemplating killing him off at the end of "The Twelve" storyline. I'm sure just about everyone's read or at the very least heard of the storyline so I won't bore anyone with the details. Anyway, what I found extremely interesting are the responses that followed suit. If I may quote

"Lots of folks know that Cyclops isn’t exactly one of my favorite characters. He’s not someone I would want to know in real life as his personality is more about being stoic, tactical and taciturn. However, those traits are exactly why I love him in the X-Men. He makes Wolverine and Storm more interesting by comparison. In a team book, his perspective creates complexity and his interaction with other teammates makes for good stories.

It was really cool to find the above image by Alan Davis in which Cyclops argues for his existence. At the time this was drawn by Davis, Marvel editorial was about to kill of Cyke and merge him with big bad Apocalypse. Davis was not a fan of this idea and drew this artwork to argue his point. I find it to be a definitive understanding of the character and I agree with everything it says. To me, it’s not about whether Cyclops or Storm is the better leader. It’s about what kind of leader would I rather follow if I were an X-Man.  I prefer Storm because I would rather have an empathic ally than a stern taskmaster.  However, Cyclops represents the patriarch, and like Wolverine, we must learn from and rebel against his authority if we are to become our own leader. Cyclops serves a very important function in the X-Men.  He represents the life lessons of The Emperor tarot card and I wouldn’t want it any other way."

Now my problem with the above comment is first, the crass favoritism towards Storm, second is how the author comparison of Scott to a patriarch or  familial and religious figure, and third is how he makes it sound as though Scott's only role within the team is to serve as an authoritative doormat. Other comments would follow describing Cyclops as the "uncool" desire a return of the old days him being the "nerdy, uptight, and conflicted leader." To me a lot of those comments imply to me that everyone except Cyclops is allowed to experience character growth and become "hip" and "cool" versus being competent, dependable, and consistent. I've even read a comment on another forum in which one person preferred Scott as Jean and Professor Xavier's "lapdog".

In the case of Storm fans; is it really hard to swallow that the only reason isn't able to lead is because she is having to devote the majority her time to being queen of Wakanda or do people just simply not want Scott to lead?

I honestly don't understand the reasoning behind a lot of these fans opinions. The Scott Summers that we have now is a culmination of his character from the sixties on through the eighties. As far as the nineties I don't remember much about him sans the cartoon, Zero Tolerance, and that ghastly costume with those useless pouches, miscellaneous belts, and half-cowl. From what I understand that was an era in which the character practically did nothing and yet it seems people are okay with this out of utter dislike from him and/or  favoritism towards other characters. 

So my question is why is it that others want him to regress back to a time in which there was no character growth for anyone and instead only plot-based characters, gimmicky cross-overs, and just bad writing overall?

Personally my favorite era is his current incarnation. He's over Jean, he's no longer lamenting over his inability to control his powers,he's confident, and he's adorned in a costume that reflects his better years.

No Caption Provided

So, which era of Cyclops do you prefer? What role do you like him best in and why? And please let's keep things civil and objective.

Avatar image for dementedtheclown
    dementedtheclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By dementedtheclown

Same with all X-Men, the Yellow and Blue jumpsuit era from the Cartoon I grew up with.

One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By One_Eye
    @dementedtheclown: Any specific reason? I'm just curious is all.:)
    Avatar image for dementedtheclown
    dementedtheclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dementedtheclown

idk, but I do like seeing his hair, the cowl always looked odd on him to me

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

90s-Messiah Complex. Fraction doesn't know how to write the nuances of his character at all.

Morrison and Whedon write him best.

I do, however, feel this is a good place for my demotivational poster;

No Caption Provided
    One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By One_Eye
    @FadeToBlackBolt:  Man...I'm not sure what to say about that...:) I definitely agree with your opinion on who has written him the best; but dang it this poster is amusing...! Let's hope that the writers find a happy medium for him then!
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @One_Eye: Me too, mate. I'm a HUGE Cyclops fan, and I have a really sick feeling in my stomach that they're going to have him turn evil. Did you read the Schism one shot by Paul Jenkins? It was awesome. I really doubt that Aaron will be able to mimic the subtlety that made Jenkins' Cyclops so good.
    Avatar image for the_umbra_sorcerer
    The Umbra Sorcerer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I like him As long as he's not written by Fraction. I Love him when he's written by Whedon, Yost or Ellis,

One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By One_Eye
    @FadeToBlackBolt: Dude, I TOTALLY agree! As I've stated in a previous thread; I'd like for this event not to turn into the mutant equivalent of Civil War as we've seen how that turned out ...@_@But to answer your question, yes, I both read and enjoyed the one-shot of Schism! Really gave me even more insight to Scott. It was cool to see Scott and Xavier on speaking terms again and even better to see Scott confide in Xavier, however, Charles took no steam from Cyclops whatsoever.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @One_Eye: I LOVED all the father/son references. It's like Scott's been the perfect son for 15 years and he's only just realised that his dad isn't perfect, so he's kind of rebelling a little bit, trying to find his own way, but he still loves Xavier and seems his as the defining X-Man.

From reading the One-Shot though, I don't think the two X-Men factions will fight, they'll just operate in different ways to deal with the new threat.
    One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By One_Eye
    @FadeToBlackBolt: I agree. This story seems as though it's going to be more cerebral rather than a "slobber-knocker" which is more than alright by me. I mean when I look back at the most recent happenings I can see why Scott may want to get back to Xavier's ways versus Wolverine and his newly-acquired X-Force. People seem to forget that it was Logan that decided to take on leading while Scott's washed his hands of the whole ordeal. What if in some bizarre twist Logan becomes more like the Magneto of the good ol' days in that regard?

There's certainly potential here for this budding storyline and I can only hope that it's properly utilized and that it doesn't turn into "We All Hate Scott Summer's Party."
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @One_Eye: That would be interesting, but I'd say that Logan will be getting the more "fan-desired" side, ala, he'll take on all the people who don't like Hope and feel that Cyclops has been reckless. Hell, Hope might even join him (ungrateful brat that she is).

I'm predicting though that Marvel will use this as the catalyst to have Scott (and possibly Emma) turn evil, which is, of course, ridiculous. But I still think it might happen.
    • Emma cheats on Scott with Namor
    • X-Men turn on Scott
    • Scott goes evil
    A better (and more in character route)
    • Emma doesn't cheat on Namor.
    • X-Men turn on Scott
    • Scott and Emma leave Utopia with Magneto, Xavier and a few others to star in a side-book (like X-Men), while Wolverine and the Utopia-story keep focus in Uncanny.  
    I really hope Scott and Logan don't get into a fight though. Their best interactions always show the two as having an antagonistic friendship.
    One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By One_Eye
    @FadeToBlackBolt:  Geeze the first sequence of events would be so contrived....If the story was to go in that direction I'd just drop the X-Books altogether. I've faith that it won't go in that direction and that sensible writing will prevail. I'd rather the latter happen. X-Books definitely  work well with smaller rosters and in Scott's case it'd be awesome for him. Scott, Emma, Xavier, and Magneto? Yes, please! Then splash in some of the newer X-Men to round out the roster. Not so many that everyone's reduced to cameos but add some real potential for character growth.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @One_Eye: Yeah, I'd hate for the former to happen too, and I'd like the latter as well. I'll never forgive Marvel if they make Scott go evil though.

That book would have the best cast ever.
    AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#15  Edited By AssertingValor

all cyclopse versions rule............................................................................
    One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By One_Eye
    @ebuchanan:  Cheers mate!:)
    One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By One_Eye
    @FadeToBlackBolt: It'd make no sense whatsoever. And they better not spout some nonsense about "Well, the Void sliver made him realized that he's truly evil, jealous of Storm, and Wolverine durpadurp..!"

That would suck for a lack of better words.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By Caligula

Whedon writes him best.

One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By One_Eye
    @Caligula: Agreed. I felt Warren Elli did a respectable job as well. I enjoyed Ghost Box and really need to get to reading the rest of his run on Astonishing.
    eldestrisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By eldestrisk

Definitely current Cyclops, him is an example of what I call proper character development. 

One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By One_Eye
    @eldestrisk: Awesome, bro.:) Seems that other comicbook fans believe that just because a character has a physical weakness then that in itself constitutes character growth rather than a character flaw.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I loved him in the early 90s (Uncanny run starting around 281 and Mutant Genesis) he was still badass but still had a sense of humor.
    Misterkyle91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Misterkyle91

I like the cyclops right when he came back from being possessed by Apocalypse and had his Tom Cruise look going. Eve of Destruction Cyclops.
    TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheThe

I didnt know Cyclops had fans ??? How that can be ?

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I liked the late 90's era Cyclops (Jim Lee art no hood) but current Cyc with Emma is my fav. Gives him an edge he didnt have before when he was a puppy obsessed with Jean.

.Spider-man.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By .Spider-man.
    @TheThe said:
    I didnt know Cyclops had fans ??? How that can be ?
    Because he is a good character.
    -Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By -Eclipse-
    @Gambler said:
    I liked the late 90's era Cyclops (Jim Lee art no hood)

Do you like every character Jim Lee draws or something? :P
    Dh4niel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dh4niel
    @Gambler said:
    I liked the late 90's era Cyclops (Jim Lee art no hood) but current Cyc with Emma is my fav. Gives him an edge he didnt have before when he was a puppy obsessed with Jean.
    I completely agree. The 90's Jim Lee costume is my favourite. Did Cyclops really have that much of a character before the Morrison run? Wasn't he really just: "I'll do whatever you say Professor. I love you Jean. I don't like Wolverine. I became a bit moody after I was possessed by Apocalypse."
    davelecave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By davelecave

I completely agree that Morrison and Whedon wrote him best.

Apart from that, I like him with Emma.  Jean cast too much of a shadow.

Oh, and I like him without the hood, makes him look less cold.

One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By One_Eye
    @AngelDust616: Hey, sorry for the late response((life and stuff...>_<)) But I agree! I hope that Marvel continues to add layers and layers to the guy! He has so much untapped potential!
    One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By One_Eye
    @davelecave: I like the hood for a somewhat similair reason. Gives him this rather mature look:)
    Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By buttersdaman000

I have a feeling that Cyclops might get killed off..........

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Chaos Burn

I'm going to point the finger at Emma. I reckon his relationship with her makes him look like a puppet on a string. Also, he just seems out of touch with the rest of the characters

tbone1225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#34  Edited By tbone1225

Cyclops has always been fantastic. And underrated. I think the TV show and the movies have depicted him as really lame. But he's one of the best characters that has ever come out of X-Men comic books. Easily. (Kitty Pryde is better, but who can really beat Kitty Pryde?) Of course, I was always a fan of Leonardo on the ninja turtles, so judge my answer accordingly.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By CATPANEXE
    @Gambler said:
    Same here. I liked how stable, strong, driven, dedicated, cool and front and center the Lee illustrated one was.
    Superskrull86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By Superskrull86

My favorite was The New X-men storyline.
    god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#37  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

The badass leader Cyclops.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BatteredArmor

whichever Cyke is current cyclops is the best one. Scott is just incapable of being anything less than epic. His charecter evolves and each evolution is better than the last
    Drefan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Drefan21

Whedon wrote him best, but I do enjoy the current Scott ( I enjoy Scott , period ). One of the thinks I enjoy about Cyclops are his fans. I do find them to be more mature than other fans. I´m not trying to insult anybody but just sharing my experience. On some boards you can´t have a conversation about Cyclops without Storm-fanboys, Jean-fanboys and Wolverine-fanboys insulting the character or his fans. Or constantly how much stronger and cooler their favourit is even though the thread is not about who is better... Or people who open hate-threads in his forum....

And most Cyclops fans I seen acknowled is flaws and mistakes. But other fans don´t acknowled the flwas of their favourit charakter but have no proplem blaming him.

Sorry but I had to vent^^

shol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By shol

Here's my choices:

- X-Men: The Animated Series - Yes, it's a TV show and is separate from the comics (although I hear it stayed quite true to the X-Men storyline), but this is what made me become a Cyke fan. As a little kid growing up without any father figures, I looked up to Cyke, who was dependable, responsible, and would pretty much do anything for his family, even Wolverine. I thought those were commendable qualities and ones that I wished I would one day have. While I grew out of that phase and don't see him or any other characters as father figures but just as characters, I still consider Cyke to be my all time favorite comic book character due to this show.

- Astonishing X-Men - It was the first X-Men comic I ever read and one of my first comics in general. The writing was just phenomenal and brought a lot of depth to the classic characters that were part of the cast. Since I hadn't read any of the X-comics that came before, I was a bit surprised at how different Cyke was compared to the X-Men TV series. I don't know how to explain it, but I guess 'badass' and 'awesome' would be two words I would use to describe him.

Powerzone789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Powerzone789

definetly 90's, 90's era cyclops was the better because he had more depth to him then the mysterious somewhat shallow character he is today, 90's era was awesome
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By fodigg

Today's Cyclops is probably my favorite Cyclops. Except for the random Jean Grey namedropping. That was weird.

Edgeworth_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Edgeworth_11

Cyclops now is the best.
    TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#44  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    90's Cyclops.
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ssejllenrad

Character-wise... The current no-bs Cyclops.

Design-wise... Ultimate and New X-Men costumes

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#46  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

After the garbage Schism was, still current Cyclops since his attitude and growth into the bad arse he is today made him my fave character.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SC  Moderator

Current Wolverine inspired Cyclops who be bangin dem hoes and keeping bro's on their toe's always right and keepin it tight, got Magneto on his knees.. something about... bee's.. or tree's...  

Oh no wait, Morrison version. 

Avatar image for the_greatest_username
    The_Greatest_Username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

90's Cyclops for me

EDIT: Really I just prefer Cyclops before his Apoc-possession. I really especially Cyclops under Simonson's pen.

As for recent depictions, I do think Whedon made Cyclops "cooler" while imo Morrison's Cyclops came across as pathetic. I also don't like his relationship with Emma Frost. It seems detrimental to both characters.

fury714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By fury714

@Caligula said:

Whedon writes him best.

This.

@dementedtheclown said:

Same with all X-Men, the Yellow and Blue jumpsuit era from the Cartoon I grew up with.

And definitely this one, I will never forget that opening theme music :D

VesKaGan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By VesKaGan

Though I like every depiction of Scott, my favorite era was from the early 2000's to M-Day plus Ellis' characterization and I simply love him during the O5 X-Factor run since Louise Simonsen took over.

People always say he's "not supposed to be a badass". But if you read X-Factor and other comics from that time (I just finished Cyclops: Retribution) he has always been. Not like Wolverine, but in his own way.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.