Follow

Cyclops

Character » Cyclops appears in 11209 issues.

The first X-Man, Scott Summers possesses the mutant ability to fire powerful concussive blasts through his eyes that act as a portal to another dimension full of the force that makes up his optic blast. He is visually distinctive for the ruby quartz visor he wears to control his devastating power. A born leader, Cyclops succeeded his mentor Professor X to command the X-Men.

What would you do to expand Cyclops?

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

Not many characters have had the growth and development Cyclops has had over the last few years. Cyclops has shown he can be one of the best tacticians in Marvel, he saved the mutant race, he's made the hard decisions when he has had to. He has optic blasts commonly referenced as "being able to punch through mountains". He's been with almost every telepathic mutant hottie so what more is there for Mr. Summers? We've seen Cyclops show he is proficient in hand to hand combat. We've seen him use a gun once, he's shown using swords on occasion, so what would expand on? What would you change? His optic blasts are cool but do you think something more could be done to Cyclops? Me personally I would like to see him use a sword again or show him becoming a better hand to hand combatant. I would love to see him go and train with Cap some more, train with Shang-Chi, or Iron Fist or Daredevil or something like that. Cyclops has done it all quite frankly, but there is room for him to grow still, so what would you do? Would you want him to become a dark leader than he is, or lighten up? Would you like to see him carry a gun sometimes or use a sword more often? Would you change up his control levels over his powers? What would you do to expand Cyclops?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ab1ccc482197
    deactivated-5ab1ccc482197

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Don't forget he has shown to have pretty decent physic resistance. Hiding that little black box in his mind. The event with the Void. He mentioned how Jean showed him a few tricks, which implies he has trained to resist physic intrusion. I think that's something I would like to see commented on more. Maybe against other telepaths combating the X-Men.

I don't think he needs a gun. He has something much more dangerous locked away behind his eyes.
    Maybe elaborate more on his martial training like you mentioned. Just his overall routine, so the general audience can get a grasp of how much this guy trains and studies. 
    Maybe something along the lines while most of the X-Men are out on a break, enjoying a summer picnic or something. He is still inside locked away going over tapes from training sessions, etc.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3  Edited By lorex

Scott has developed into quite the man of actin over the years but aside from the visor and learning how to use it, he is no closed to controlling his powers than he ever was. It has been speculated over that years that Scott's difficulties controlling his powers
    are psychological in nature not physical. I would not mind a story where he thought he lost his powers, and left the x-Men for a while. In fact he did not loose them but in order to use them he would have to learn to overcome his disability and control his powers.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By dernman

Scott is so tied to the X-Men as he should be but I would like to see him just for a little while on a non mutant team. 
    I think you would be surprised on how he acts on a non mutant team. 
    With his relationships with non mutants and being on a team that doesn't deal with mutant issues.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I was discussing this with Revamp yesterday, and honestly, what Scott needs more than anything else is a ****ing writer who understands the subtleties of the character. After Second Coming, there's not a doubt in my mind that Scott went to Kurt and Nathan's graves and apologised. But the audience wasn't shown that, because Fraction is a git. 
    Aside from a few moments that show that Scott is wearing the "callous leader" facade and is in fact a very emotional an guilt-ridden human being, I'd like for him to get a significant power upgrade, since his brothers both got them inexplicably from DnA. Have his blasts reach Black Bolt (pre-DnA weakening him, **** you DnA!) levels of devastation when the visor comes off. Other than that, I'm happy with him as Messiah for the human race, boyfriend to Emma Frost, and friend to non-douchey X-Men.

He, Logan, Beast, Colossus, Bobby and Remy need an issue where they all head to a bar, get drunk and play pool together though. I would kill for that issue.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By dernman
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    I was discussing this with Revamp yesterday, and honestly, what Scott needs more than anything else is a ****ing writer who understands the subtleties of the character. After Second Coming, there's not a doubt in my mind that Scott went to Kurt and Nathan's graves and apologised. But the audience wasn't shown that, because Fraction is a git.  Aside from a few moments that show that Scott is wearing the "callous leader" facade and is in fact a very emotional an guilt-ridden human being, I'd like for him to get a significant power upgrade, since his brothers both got them inexplicably from DnA. Have his blasts reach Black Bolt (pre-DnA weakening him, **** you DnA!) levels of devastation when the visor comes off. Other than that, I'm happy with him as Messiah for the human race, boyfriend to Emma Frost, and friend to non-douchey X-Men.  He, Logan, Beast, Colossus, Bobby and Remy need an issue where they all head to a bar, get drunk and play pool together though. I would kill for that issue.
    I have always liked Cyclops. There is a lot there to him as a character and I think a lot of readers just write him off. 
    I would like to explore his attitude towards non mutants. I think there has been a subtle change that could prove interesting. 

I can go for a power upgrade for when he takes off his visor.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Dernman said:
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    I was discussing this with Revamp yesterday, and honestly, what Scott needs more than anything else is a ****ing writer who understands the subtleties of the character. After Second Coming, there's not a doubt in my mind that Scott went to Kurt and Nathan's graves and apologised. But the audience wasn't shown that, because Fraction is a git.  Aside from a few moments that show that Scott is wearing the "callous leader" facade and is in fact a very emotional an guilt-ridden human being, I'd like for him to get a significant power upgrade, since his brothers both got them inexplicably from DnA. Have his blasts reach Black Bolt (pre-DnA weakening him, **** you DnA!) levels of devastation when the visor comes off. Other than that, I'm happy with him as Messiah for the human race, boyfriend to Emma Frost, and friend to non-douchey X-Men.  He, Logan, Beast, Colossus, Bobby and Remy need an issue where they all head to a bar, get drunk and play pool together though. I would kill for that issue.
    I have always liked Cyclops. There is a lot there to him as a character and I think a lot of readers just write him off. I would like to explore his attitude towards non mutants. I think there has been a subtle change that could prove interesting.    I can go for a power upgrade for when he takes off his visor.
    Cyke is my second favourite character ever, and I'm a huge Cyke-fanboy. I agree with you about readers writing him off. He's not an immediately appealing character, you have to look deeper.
    Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Chaos Burn

i think he just needs a boss, and to stick to being a field leader, not mutant emporer....

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By ReVamp
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    I was discussing this with ReVamp yesterday, and honestly, what Scott needs more than anything else is a ****ing writer who understands the subtleties of the character. After Second Coming, there's not a doubt in my mind that Scott went to Kurt and Nathan's graves and apologised. But the audience wasn't shown that, because Fraction is a git.  Aside from a few moments that show that Scott is wearing the "callous leader" facade and is in fact a very emotional an guilt-ridden human being, I'd like for him to get a significant power upgrade, since his brothers both got them inexplicably from DnA. Have his blasts reach Black Bolt (pre-DnA weakening him, **** you DnA!) levels of devastation when the visor comes off. Other than that, I'm happy with him as Messiah for the human race, boyfriend to Emma Frost, and friend to non-douchey X-Men.  He, Logan, Beast, Colossus, Bobby and Remy need an issue where they all head to a bar, get drunk and play pool together though. I would kill for that issue.
    Yeah. This pretty much explains what I think. No more "harda** and I'm pretty much happy, though a power boost can never hurt.
    Avatar image for apatheticavenger
    ApatheticAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -3

#10  Edited By ApatheticAvenger

@FadeToBlackBolt: I couldn't agree with you more, especially about Cyke and his best X-buddies going out to get drunk and play pool. Beast would rant about Hemingway and Byron while drinking a mojito, Bobby would show-off to the ladies by making ice for their drinks, Gambit would do card tricks, Colossus would arm wrestle everyone in the bar while drinking from an entire keg, and Logan would...well, he's Logan, he does this all the damn time. As for Cyke, he would just sit back and relax, enjoying the company of his mates. Then he would beat everyone at pool by using his precision optic blasts, like a boss.

As for expanding on Cyclops' character, I wouldn't mind seeing him carry around a sword for close-combat. Pretty much the only ways to make Cyclops more bada** without just increasing the power level of his optic blasts would be to make him either a ninja or a cyborg (or both).

Kind of like this.
    Kind of like this.

Cyclops is already Messiah of the mutant race, might as well give him a cybernetic arm and a katana.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BatteredArmor

Mutant power asorbing power kinda like bishop but diffrent some how maybe make his powers on more of a Vulcan level. give him a sword and let him relax moere. give him some time away from the X-men like 5 issues on his own and let him beat wolverine with nothing but strategy not even an optic blast......Oh and make him not suck in movies and put him first class as older than Havok
    Avatar image for rod_the_blade_star
    Rod_The_Blade_Star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give him a hobby. Peter is an artist. Storm has her plants. You could have him build ships in bottles. It's a detailed oriented act that makes sense given his character and if he builds pirate ships it can be a reference to his dead father. Being able to split his optic blasts or this

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By RainEffect

Make him more and more like Tom Cruise. xD

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

I'm glad this got bumped.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By CATPANEXE

Not much offhand. As you mentioned, he does have many facets to his character, but their just not often highlighted, like his great h2h and sword fighting skills for example.

But that's sort of obvious, the characters powers will almost always be shown off in use more then the rest of their abilities. Against the current grain though...

- Show Scott as compassionate and caring more: Scott cares about people, he's shown doing it but in a reserved callous businessman sort of way when he is. This is probably why a lot of readers see him as sort of a jerk. The writers need to show his nurturing side a little more. He shouldn't be all " we're all sacrificing for the greater good ". Show him sitting down and putting his arm around a friend who is confused about their place in the world. Show him hands on when someone is injured holding their hand and assuring them, ect.

- Have him more on a one on one basis with The Avengers, Captain America, and other various characters who hold any position or office in the Marvel Universe. In other words Scott needs to get out and network more. He's the leader of a sovereign nation and race. He agreed with Steve that he needs to make the X-Men into heroes to be looked up to, so let's see this then. He doesn't impress me as the kind of man that would just consider a notion, or try, but the kind that does things immediately. It's been since when? Prior to even Heroic Age since this choice was made, and solidified in Heroic Age? Enough sitting and defending Utopia and the mutant race from incoming threats. Scott needs to lead them as a team of heroes, like he did against the Skrull's in secret invasion. They need to be running around the world big and proud saving the human race from villains and catastrophe. Their more than capable and resourced, and Scott's more then capable to lead them to do this, which is why he's the one in the position in the first place.

- Expand the use of Scott's initial mutation: Scott can do more than convert cosmic energy and shoot it out of his eyes. There's a much detailed science laid out to his power. Also it's not even nearly that limited. Take when he channeled Storms summoned lightning after it was buffered through Colossus's body and fired a different kind of white beam for instance. Scott can do more with his power, a power which he has taken down the likes of Master Mold with. They need to show this, he certainly has enough diverse situations were this could be applied and he would have to get creative. Too much lately he's shown using his power like a gun, and in a reserved fashion. I think were definitely past that stage and past that point a long time ago.

-------------

added: I can think of a a good story to open the window to show this and any listed off, Vs Dr.Doom. It's a long shot but I've been sort of waiting and wondering why they haven't done it yet. When Magneto became the leader of Genosha, Dr.Doom immediately noticed another powered country and took it upon himself to challenge and fight Magneto directly in the name of himself and Latveria. Doom also loves a large collection and pool of power. Added, he has long standing grudges against Magneto, Namor, and Emma, especially in light of the recent Cabal fiasco, where Doom got screwed, and many with the X-Men in particular, more recently Doomwar and World War Hulks, the later something he is still dealing with the fallout of. It seems right that Dr.Doom would make a big pass at Scott and Utopia. It had it's faults, but it was fun watching Scott as tactical opposite of Norman Osborn and Dracula. It would be cool to challenge him against Dr.Doom, and set-up the perfect opportunity for the writers to really show what Scott is capable of, especially given he would have to win this one somehow, as well relate all the point made here.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By jrock85

Since his optic blasts apparently come from another dimension, there are a lot cool things that can be done with his powers.

Steps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Steps

I would feed him

whitelantern64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By whitelantern64

Yeah Scot is almost protrayed as almost emotionless really, if the writers can bare for him to show remorse and sympathy directly, do it indirect ways. Like after seeing a x-men on a bad week, sends them to a mssion on a tropical island. Or give authorization to another x-men leader to arrange memorials for Kurt and Cable. That would work perfectly cause it shows the readers that he cares but how he wants to put a persona of nonchalance.

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By cosmo111687

Give him Mr. Fantastic's powers and then put him in the dryer for about three hours.

Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#20  Edited By Hawkeye446

@cosmo111687 said:

Give him Mr. Fantastic's powers and then put him in the dryer for about three hours.

Hahahahaha!

luckydomino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By luckydomino1

control his powers be less a jerk

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jrock85

I'd like to see his optic blasts evolve so they can be used for various effects other than just concussive force.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@jrock85 said:

I'd like to see his optic blasts evolve so they can be used for various effects other than just concussive force.

Well...he can use them to cut things when slim, flat, or focused enough or he can just hold a beam long enough over an object it gets friction burn :P.

Avatar image for theblaquebasterd
    THEBlaqueBasterd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By THEBlaqueBasterd

heres a thought..give him his own title.. call it "Slim" or sumthin (j/k) startoff with flashbacks of ALL the recent important events hes been in &show it completely (with a fresh perspective) from his POV.. allow us to see thru his eyes exactly how many sacrifices hes had to make, how hard they were &that behind the man who seems to make the most impossible almost cold hearted decisons effortlessly.. he is (inside) remorseful of the consequences, but doesnt show it to protect his ppl

have him be placed in situations where he utilises his martial arts &specifically aikido skill more.. have his inherent trigonometric capability (bankshot master) be applied more &to more situations than just involving his O.B. also remember the fact he's trained for yrs to fight &operate fully &indefinately blind &is an ace pilot perhaps top5 in MU,

if theres still an illuminati.. he should be in it as mutant rep.. bein the mutant saviour/sovereign &all that would heighten his stature as a true power player

those are just a few things i can think of off top of my head

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- I disagree with him carrying a gun or sword, he is now the face of the X-Men and the small benefit of having a secondary weapon is not worth the way it would make him look to the general mutant fearing public. Just like Captain America's shield does not look threatening, neither does Cyclops visor, regardless of what real power it holds back.

- Although it is not shown on panel, I'm sure he continues his martial arts training, they just do not specify with whom.

- I also disagree with a power boost, it would do nothing to make the character any more interesting and they are very powerful already. Expanding his powerset to include new ways to use the energy that powers his optic blasts is worth discussion, but it would really depend on the direction taken and letting the new abilities grow over time and not just appear overnight.

- I 1000% agree he needs to be shown interacting with the powers-that-be in Marvel more often, every time there is a major meeting he is never there. Xavier had the relationship with the other leaders, Scott is smart enough to know he needs to have it as well as the X-Men need allies like the Avengers on good terms for their very survival, but the writers seem to like him standing on Utopia all smug like he does not need anyone and will do it all himself.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jrock85

@god_spawn: I meant something similar to what Darkseid does with his Omega Beams. Not necessarily that powerful, though.

ApatheticAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ApatheticAvenger

How many people want to see him wear a trench coat like in Wolverine and the X-Men?

No Caption Provided
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jrock85

@ApatheticAvenger: Not his style.

Besides, I don't want to see anything that reminds me of that awful cartoon. LOL

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BatteredArmor
    ApatheticAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ApatheticAvenger

@jrock85 said:

@ApatheticAvenger: Not his style.

Besides, I don't want to see anything that reminds me of that awful cartoon. LOL

There were quite a lot of things that rubbed me the wrong way, not the least of which was Cyclops taking backseat to Wolverine as team leader. Others include: Jean coming back, Cyclops not ending up with Emma, and Magneto being portrayed poorly (as opposed to his EPIC portrayal in the Fox series).

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jrock85

@ApatheticAvenger: I had a problem with a LOT of the character portrayals in that series. The title alone told me that it was going to be crap.

ApatheticAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ApatheticAvenger

@jrock85 said:

@ApatheticAvenger: I had a problem with a LOT of the character portrayals in that series. The title alone told me that it was going to be crap.

Hard to believe there once was a time when Marvel didn't whore Wolverine around like the greatest thing since Batman.

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By thatlad

I actually enjoyed that series, it was enjoyable and didn't take massive continuity liberties. Shame it got cancelled

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jrock85

@ApatheticAvenger said:

Hard to believe there once was a time when Marvel didn't whore Wolverine around like the greatest thing since Batman.

Its getting harder and harder to remember those days, my friend. Not that I dislike Wolverine.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By CATPANEXE

Nipple windows on his costume. Make me a true believer Marvel and make it so!

Lion_Heart22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By Lion_Heart22

I think he needs to become a hand to hand beast. Scott's already proven that though he isn't highly regarded as a martial artist, he can handle his own against the best of the best. I'd like to see that expanded.

I'd also like for the writers to give us a more in-depth or intimate view of Cyclops. We all know he is repressed. He believes he can't allow himself to show weakness, guilt or doubt, especially now that he's become the most important mutant on Earth, but inside we know he's very conflicted. Just look at him at Cable's funeral. Showing him thinking about Kurt and Nathan being gone, his best friend Hank abandoning him, thinking about what Jean would think if she were alive, that's the kind of stuff I'd like to see.

Finally, upgrading the sheer power of his blast would be cool. Maybe even expanding on his ability to metabolize other type of energy, such as Storm's lightning, to use for his optic blast. They could very well make him immune to energy attacks without it being too far fetched.

ApatheticAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ApatheticAvenger

@Lion_Heart22 said:

I think he needs to become a hand to hand beast. Scott's already proven that though he isn't highly regarded as a martial artist, he can handle his own against the best of the best. I'd like to see that expanded.

Finally, upgrading the sheer power of his blast would be cool. Maybe even expanding on his ability to metabolize other type of energy, such as Storm's lightning, to use for his optic blast. They could very well make him immune to energy attacks without it being too far fetched.

Those would both be very cool.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jrock85

@Lion_Heart22 said:

I'd also like for the writers to give us a more in-depth or intimate view of Cyclops. We all know he is repressed. He believes he can't allow himself to show weakness, guilt or doubt, especially now that he's become the most important mutant on Earth, but inside we know he's very conflicted. Just look at him at Cable's funeral. Showing him thinking about Kurt and Nathan being gone, his best friend Hank abandoning him, thinking about what Jean would think if she were alive, that's the kind of stuff I'd like to see.

Absolutely.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BatteredArmor

@Lion_Heart22 said:

Everything you just said is brilliant, Yes yes and h*ll yes

azizsikdar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By azizsikdar

Tell him to smile a little bit, he's pretty depressing for a guy whose been married to Jean Grey, had an affair with Emma Frost and flirted with Psylocke?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.