Follow

Cyclops

Character » Cyclops appears in 11232 issues.

The first X-Man, Scott Summers possesses the mutant ability to fire powerful concussive blasts through his eyes that act as a portal to another dimension full of the force that makes up his optic blast. He is visually distinctive for the ruby quartz visor he wears to control his devastating power. A born leader, Cyclops succeeded his mentor Professor X to command the X-Men.

What if O5 Cyclops develops new abilities

anjuwayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

O5 Marvel Girl developed new abilities never seen before what if Scott did the same... What would you want it to be... He is an energy manipulator like Havok and Vulcan, but he can only do it through his eyes... What if that wasn't the case...

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By redwingx

It should stay that way.

I'm all in for Scott to become a swordsman though.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#3 god_spawn  Moderator

Nah. And Marvel at least altered modern Scott's powers, so we don't exactly have two Cyclops' around with the same exact powers.

cresShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cresShadow

he is learning to master his accuracy and skill really early. power isnt an issue. it's the baggage he's been carrying since he started as an X-man but now we are seeing this go away and now he's growing to be a better and wiser person

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for deactivated-60e87a786cc9c
    deactivated-60e87a786cc9c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Cyclops need a good solo to power him up.

AROSS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Given his previous upgrades and potential power ups in alternate universes, I would not suggest him to be a one man army kind of guy. Scott is once and forever an Alpha mutant, no he is an Alpha amongst mutants. Cyclops is the Captain America of X-Men (more like the 1610 version anyways). At first he is a normal guy but when things are serious, he is not someone you would go and mess with. He is capable of holding his team together no matter what situation he was put under and he will always find a way to make it into a victory.

So an upgrade for someone like him would be a power that makes him dominant over others. I am not saying any Vulcan level upgrades, in fact, I don't want any upgrade regarding energy absorption and manipulation, but I would give him a body that is resistance to all forms energy based attacks and a secondary ability remove the powers of anyone who he sees with his eyes, no matter where they are. I am not saying that this is limited to mutants but rather to everyone like rouge (but not on electronics like sentinels people he talks through web cams, holograms or psychic projections) who can absorb the powers, cyclops remove it by looking at that person. However, there is a limitation. In order for this power to work, he has to make visual eye contact with them, directly or indirectly and he need to use it before they use their power. If that happens he cannot stop its effects. Also, whenever he uses his new ability of power removal, he can neither use his traditional optic blast nor his immunity towards energy attacks would work.

Finally, he should have a peak human physiology with enhanced senses and intelligence. So that he would be able to have some solo moment of his own. This peak human biology can be acquired through his previous exposure the terrigen mist (not totally impossible Quicksilver used it to reawaken mutants who have lost this ability), the Void fraction which he traps inside his mind, the seed of the which might've been left by Apocalypse after he is separated from the former, the small spark of Phoenix which was used by cable to resurrect his father, then there is his brother Havok who may have used the mothervine secretly in hopes of resurrecting his dead brother, by working with strong psychics like Jean Grey, Emma Frost or Professor Xavier to help him overcome his personal traumas and mental blocks, by Mr Sinister, who may have placed mental blocks upon a young Cyclops due to discovering that his potential for another mutation which may prevents him from controlling the boy or through the natural means of a secondary mutation like Emma Frost when she faced a near death experience.

All in all, there are multiple options for writers to give Cyclops a permanent or temporary upgrade. But, the problem is, Cyclops is the only mutant who is closest to the level of a human. So if he is going to get an upgrade on his power, it should also be human level as well. Since his optic blast is like Captain America's vibranium shield, his next upgrade should be like that of Spider-Man, a superhuman physiology with sensory ability (such as precognition and clairvoyance) or enhanced sense like wolverine's sense of smell. But, these are not what he needed though.

What Cyclops requires is the power that makes him a top dog wherever he is in. That is an absolute defence against a form of attack (energy attacks since Cyclops is immune to his optic blasts and his brother's one as well; for Vulcan, my theory is because he is merged with Darwin. So that this power is not the same power as that of the Summer family's.) and the ability to neutralise the powers of anyone whom he has a visual eye contact with.

This way Cyclops can be both humanised and has the power to prove why he is always on charge. Also these powers that I suggested can keep him remain the same which evolve him to the point that he is a bigger threat than anyone hoped him to be.

AROSS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnihal: or a solo that follows after he gets his power up. focusing on his dealing with it.

AROSS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwingx: old scoott already knows how to use one and the youngling had training from his father

AROSS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwingx: in the x of swords event he will be wielding a crimson lightsaber

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aross:

Nice! He needs more defense tho

AROSS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phisigmatau: He has a natural defense against energy-based attacks. When Stan Lee created this dude, he explained that this guy's power works similar to photosynthesis. He can absorb energy and convert it into heatless ruby-colored blasts of nothing but hard light with raw and devastating amounts of kinetic power. This makes him only strong in the daylight and not at night time. For his inability to control them, Stan Lee stated that he had childhood physical trauma in his brain which makes him unable to control them.

But it was discarded when mutants with the power to heal started appearing. In Claremont's era, he rewrote the process of photosynthesis with his eyes having interdimensional apertures to a non-Einsteinian dimension of nothing but pure concussive energy. Also, his energy resistance is because of his genetic immunity towards his brother, Havok's powers. Unlike Scott who was written as someone who feeds upon solar energy, Havok was given stronger powers and greater control over it.

Havok has the power to no only absorb sunlight, but all sorts of ambient energy. Like his brother, he also has the power to convert them and his output comes out as heated blueish white plasma beams that he can shoot from his chest and hands. As for Scott on the other hand, he is only a solar battery. So when the readers first saw Scott being immune to Alex's blast, an explanation was needed. Thus comes the genetic immunity. And because Alex's powers involve various types of energy, it makes Scott immune to all of them except for sunlight, which he absorbs.

Now here is my question. Instead of the genetic immunity, what if Scott has the power to negate all forms of energy. Since Ultimates Vol 2. confirmed the existence of the punch dimension the future writers as well as the audience has no other choice but to accept the interdimensional apertures. Also, during Gran Morrison's run, we saw him as unstable and full of inner turmoil. In the prelude issue for the Eve of Destruction, Scott explains the true nature of his powers as well. While we saw him as a competent leader, we also saw him as a family man.

To add to this point, a psychological corruption or empowering does not make someone change completely as a person. It is what we are lead to believe and so does Summers and the other X-Men. What it does is forcing them to accept or embrace the part of themselves that they don't want to. Scott lived as a son, brother, friend, student, leader, teacher, hero, lover, husband, mentor, and father. In many different ways, Scott lived his life to its fullest before the gathering of the Twelve. And within it, apart from son, brother, student, mentor, and father, everything else was with Jean. The heart of the X-Men is its original power couple and their struggle.

When Logan came into the team at first, he served as the counter to Scott's character. This at first despised and later intrigued Scott's wife Jean Grey. Also, Emma's romantic attempts and their journey together slowly turned Scott into someone confident and outspoken. All in all, Scott became the Squall Leonhart of X-Men. But it came with a cost. Scott and Jean's relationship was forever strained. He almost had a psychic affair with Emma and caught redhanded by the last person he would accept.

Now, let's come back to the part about empowering and corruption. Before the Twelve saga, he was a complete man, and joining Apocalypse warped him and slowly changed his personality. However, this is not what happened at all. What happened is the beast within him woke. In biblical and other terms, being empowered means that they have accepted or let go of your inner beast, and being corrupted means having fully embraced it. To make things worse, unlike Logan and Warren who knows when to let his beast out, Scott never leaned it. His whole life is about controlling and overcoming his life of pain and finding a better path.

After his merge with Apocalypse, his beast which he momentarily suppressed with the help of his friends and family slowly became unleashed. His new dry sense of humor, radical approach to the missions, frequent violent outbursts, and everything about him changed. While some say that his love for his friends Jean and Nate kept him together, he began to feel like losing them. Also, with his newfound confidence comes his new ruthless approach in dealing with his enemies. Rather than doing what's right, he begins to do what is necessary.

This was further explored in the Astonishing X-Men. Here we learn that Scott's trauma comes from a more psychological level rather than a physical level. With mutants like Elixr by their side, if Scott wished upon healing his brain injury, he would've done it long ago and he could control his blasts. Instead, he was not. What Josh Whedon showed us is that Cyclops' powers are uncontrollable due to childhood psychological trauma.

Since born, he lived with a military background. As a child who was orphaned and later losing his brother, he repressed his real feelings about things. During his stay at the orphanage, he was never considered by any family to be adopted, even though there was one they disappeared later on. While at the orphanage he was constantly bullied by another orphan but found solace and friendship with a fellow victim. One day the bully committed suicide and his friend slowly became his bully.

To make things worse, he had severe blunt force trauma in his head due to plane crash and gets frequent headaches due to his powers manifesting. One day his powers manifested out of the blue and he ran away from the orphanage. On his first attempt at heroism, he was chased out and called a freak and a monster. This was worsened when he was finally adopted by a man who is secretly a career criminal. Later on, he learned of this and with the help of another mutant named Xavier and an FBI agent named Fred Duncan, he put his adopted father into prison.

As such, before moving with Xavier, he lived a harsh life full of pain and struggle. Emma managed to help Scott overcome this pain by correctly identifying the truth. She helped him overcome his fears, shame, and pain and helped him become a confident man and a leader of his light. Thus we get the present-day Cyclops, whom some of us have.

Now let's get back to the main topic. Throughout long history, his powers were confirmed to have been coming from the punch dimension rather than the photosynthesis process everyone believes it to be. To make his new source of powers more valid, he was written with possessing psionic fields around his eyelids and body which negates the energy. However, it does not negate the blunt damage. To make things more complicated this field can also negate the power of Alex Masters.

The question is why. While everyone tells it is because of Scott's genetic immunity, I think that there is something else in play. Another time he had shown immunity to a mutant's power is when he survived a lightning bolt from Storm in the X Men Worlds Apart comic. In Alex's case, his powers are due to absorbing different types of energies. So why can't Scott have a defensive power?

My conclusion was a power that suppresses others. His psionic fields not only make him immune to his and his brother's beams, but it also makes him immune to a variety of energies including electric, electromagnetic, and radiation-based. All in all, his psionic fields are similar to the right hand of Kamijou Touma from A Certain Magical Index, also known as the Imagine Breaker. As his new power, he should be fully capable of extending this field like Black Panther's kinetic energy wave and use it as an EMP. Thus I propose his powers be something that negates others.

However, I am denying his powers to be the same as those in the visual contact. Rather I want it to be like an EMP wave that interferes with other superpowers. And this extends to all forms of powers since he is immune to most of the energies thanks to his resistance to his own brother's powers. While he can suppress the powers of certain beings, he will not be able to use it against a required group such as the Inhumans whose powers do not involve energy, except Crystal, Blackbolt, and a few others. So I am changing my suggestion of ocular based power erasure to power negation field generation.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aross: daaaang bro that's alot

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 god_spawn  Moderator

@aross:

The question is why. While everyone tells it is because of Scott's genetic immunity, I think that there is something else in play. Another time he had shown immunity to a mutant's power is when he survived a lightning bolt from Storm in the X Men Worlds Apart comic. In Alex's case, his powers are due to absorbing different types of energies. So why can't Scott have a defensive power?

But there really isn't anything else in play here. It's just the genetic immunity to his brother's powers, and also a limited resistance to Vulcan's, and that has been explained and established without any further problems. He has never been shown to be immune to lightning. He's straight admitted not only in the Claremontian era that Storm could kill him with a lightning bolt. I feel you're confusing instances. There was 1 instance in the Claremont run that Storm used Colossus as a filter, which he has shown to do before, for her lightning, to shoot Cyclops. His body was trying to absorb the ambient energy from the lightning bolt but was in severe pain and couldn't hold it for long. And she straight up killed him in World's Apart with a lightning bolt and had to resuscitate him after. He's never shown an immunity to lightning whatsoever.

Now with your proposition of an upgrade and how it manifests itself is something that you have fully explained and all that, so yeah. I do think there is potential. The 83 handbook I believe was the one that made the switch to the dimension, the one later in the 80's I believe switched (86?). Then the later ones in 90's- early 2000's handbook I believe mixed them into the sunlight feeds the portals which keep his apertures open for him to fire the optic blast from the punch dimension. But even back in the Claremont era then we've seen Cyclops funnel energy from Xavier doing so through Jean, doing so through Havok into Scott to fire beams, energy from Jean and the Phoenix as well. So Scott doing stuff with various energies could make sense. But from another standpoint, I doubt it would happen since the mutants have a variety of energy absorbers like Shaw, Bishop, both his brothers. The punch dimension makes Scott standout and that's where he stands today.

AROSS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: You make a valid point. I did miss a few stories here and there and never get my hands on any of the handbooks at all. I have no idea what happened after the events of Eve of Destruction nor before Astonishing X-Men. While I do know how Jean died, I did not know anything before that at all. But you have forgotten one thing about Vulcan though. Cyclops does not a limited resistance to Vulcan's attacks. Rather, he is completely immune to it.

The only time when Vulcan assaulted Cyclops is during Deadly Genesis. In this period of time, Vulcan was fused with Darwin and in this period of time, Gabriel posses the power of his entire team. He has possessed Petra's geokinesis, Suzanne's Temporal Manipulation, and lastly Darwin's instantaneous adaptability. Due to Darwin transforming into an energy being, he was absorbed by Vulcan who along with his friend ended up surviving the island.

Later on, while training with Scott, he showed that he can also manipulate energies by changing its trajectory as well as absorb and emit them. As a matter of fact, it is not Scott has limited resistance to Vulcan's powers but rather Vulcan either completely dominates Scott with his blasts or it was an unnatural phenomenon thanks to his former fusee Darwin, who could've unconsciously change Vulcan's powers into something Scott is not resistant to.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 god_spawn  Moderator

@aross: Well Scott isn’t immune to his Vulcan’s that’s never been shown or suggested. It has nothing to do with Darwin. I’m forgetting where I read Scott is supposed to have limited resistance to Vulcan’s energy, and that itself is a general term. He isn’t immune to him like he is to Alex, and Alex and Vulcan aren’t immune to each other’s powers, so maybe that’s where it stems from. Or maybe some handbook entry. Hell, could just be from a wiki. I know it’s floated around comic forums for a long time. I’d just have to find out where it started.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.