Follow

Cyclops

Character » Cyclops appears in 11232 issues.

The first X-Man, Scott Summers possesses the mutant ability to fire powerful concussive blasts through his eyes that act as a portal to another dimension full of the force that makes up his optic blast. He is visually distinctive for the ruby quartz visor he wears to control his devastating power. A born leader, Cyclops succeeded his mentor Professor X to command the X-Men.

The best repercussion from AVX...Cyke has new fans

• 62 results
    fivestarga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fivestarga

This event seemed to do the one thing I think Marvel has wanted deep down all along and that is help Cyke gain some fans. There are some of us that have been loyal Cyke followers since the 90s and earlier, but he was just never the popular guy when compared to characters like Wolverine. Now I could be completely wrong here, and maybe marvel doesnt want Cyke on the same level as their most popular but I have noticed a big increase in admiration from fans on this site. Now I personally believe Cyke has been a bad man since basically taking the reigns of the mutant race after "No more mutants" was uttered. Watching him re-establish the X-men in Astonishing and defeat opponents that were far more powerful like Osborn's avengers with strategy the way he did was as impressive as if he physically did it. If you didn't believe he was an interesting character, or didn't care for his personality before but find him to be a badass now after AXV...as I Cyke fan I can accept this newly found change.

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

True. A lot of people have realized tat Cyclops was right.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By BatteredArmor

I haven't seen many new fans, I've just seen allot of old ones speaking up

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Blood1991

@BlackArmor said:

Agreed, many were sulking over how terribly they wrote him throughout the event.

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Crimsonlord53

So that's all scott needed to get new fans was to go bat sh.t crazy and risk the whole world on a hunch.

xeon1cs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xeon1cs

@Crimsonlord53: If by on a hunch, you mean his time-traveling son told him these exact events would happen, minus him getting the Phoenix Force, then sure.

Avatar image for illyanarasputin
    IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By IllyanaRasputin

I wasn't a big Cyclops fan until recently, he was always just a swoony school boy in love with Jean Grey. I first started liking him when he reassembled X-Force and Messiah CompleX and then in Second Coming and now I even like him better after AvX. I like that he makes the cut-throat decisions. I like that he's an angry dragon because at the end of the day he does what's best for his race. Team Cyclops! :)

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Aiden Cross

I've always liked Cyclops. I wouldn't consider myself a fan though. I just think he's an interesting character undeserving of the hate he sometimes gets.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lykopis

@Blood1991 said:

@BlackArmor said:

Agreed, many were sulking over how terribly they wrote him throughout the event.

And this is why I love you. <3

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

The man in The Ruby Quartz mask.
    lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11  Edited By lorex
    @Crimsonlord53 said:

So that's all scott needed to get new fans was to go bat sh.t crazy and risk the whole world on a hunch.

Why not, look at how many times Wolverine has flipped out over the years and look at how popular he is.
    Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

@Blood1991 said:

@BlackArmor said:

I've seen many posters on here, CBR, reddit, Comics Alliance, and other sites talk about how Cyclops was proven right and how this event caused them to like or sympathize with Scott. As for many of us complaining how him being written terribly, well yes, he was written terribly for most of the event. We're just happy at the ending and the fact that Cyclops was proven right.

fivestarga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fivestarga

@IllyanaRasputin said:

I wasn't a big Cyclops fan until recently, he was always just a swoony school boy in love with Jean Grey. I first started liking him when he reassembled X-Force and Messiah CompleX and then in Second Coming and now I even like him better after AvX. I like that he makes the cut-throat decisions. I like that he's an angry dragon because at the end of the day he does what's best for his race. Team Cyclops! :)

It's not how you start but how you finish they say. Still, it's nice to see the Cyclops team growing.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#15  Edited By McKlayn

@HopesummersFORtheFUTURE: totally off topic here but it bugs me how they make cap admit the avengers totally ignored mutant affairs prior to AvX but not to anything he did wrong in AvX, yes Cyclops and the X men screwed up some but so did the Avengers yet you NEVER see any of them admit it, instead they are all on their high horse about how evil Scott is despite him being possessed during most of the bad stuff.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

I remembered making this when the event just started. Lolololol.

No Caption Provided
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@McKlayn: yeah i feel bad for scott in jail, cant the avengers give him a chance to redeem himself

One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By One_Eye

@god_spawn said:

I remembered making this when the event just started. Lolololol.

No Caption Provided

I'm going to make this my icon starting now!

One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By One_Eye

@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:

@Blood1991 said:

@BlackArmor said:

I've seen many posters on here, CBR, reddit, Comics Alliance, and other sites talk about how Cyclops was proven right and how this event caused them to like or sympathize with Scott. As for many of us complaining how him being written terribly, well yes, he was written terribly for most of the event. We're just happy at the ending and the fact that Cyclops was proven right.

I was ecstatic when my friend told that news the other night.Marvel can try to gloss over the truth all they want but anyone with common sense can acknowledge that the Avengers played their part in this debacle as well.

guardiandevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By guardiandevil

@HopesummersFORtheFUTURE: I don't think the Avengers won't give him a chance, everyone seems to have written Scott off as an outright villain now. They wouldn't throw any other leaders like reed richards, black panther, cap. etc in jail but cyclops definitely got the short hand of the stick from Marvel

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guardiandevil: i cant wait for avx consequences #2 to come out........ i saw the cover for it and it was scott surounded by inmates and it looked like they were going to fight him

guardiandevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By guardiandevil

@HopesummersFORtheFUTURE: The Consequences mini-series looks to be much better than the whole AVX event as a whole

xgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By xgirl

@Aiden Cross: yup i agreed with that

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

jean grey fans must be jumping for joy.......what goes around comes around

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheCrowbar

@HopesummersFORtheFUTURE: I don't follow?

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheCrowbar: being a jean grey fan myself i like it when scott gets hurt

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheCrowbar

@HopesummersFORtheFUTURE: I don't see how the two are related. Jean gave her blessing and psychically coerced Emma and Scott together to avoid a mutant Armageddon (From the White Hot Room).

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheCrowbar: the only reason scott and jean arent together is because she died

thveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By thveej

@Fuchsia_Nightingale said:

That image is probably my favorite thing that came out of AvX.

Mark me down for Team Cyclops. I'm all about people calling out moral victories and then not giving a F**** about the consequences. THROW UP DE X IF UR DOWN.

Cytorrak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Cytorrak

Cyclops has always been popular. Lemme pull up the wiki article quote:

"In 2006, IGN.com rated Cyclops #1 on their list of Top 25 X-Men from the past forty years. Wizard Magazine also ranked Cyclops the 106th Best Comic Book Character of All Time. In 2011, IGN ranked Cyclops 39th in the Top 100 Comic Book Heroes and readers of Comic Book Resources voted him the 9th Top Marvel Character of All Time. "

It's just Cyclops has been increasingly getting crapped on since the movies. In the first two he was relegated from leader to minor character. In the third one he was murdered off-screen.

In an effort to make him "darker" as the people who didn't like him complained about his boyscout image, they did lots of things that damaged his character. He got possessed by Apocalypse and donned a black costume. He became Basilisk in an alternate reality where his eyelids had been cut off. He took a piece of The Void into his mind. He started a relationship with Emma, and it was all downhill from there.

Then everyone in the comics was attacking Cyclops for creating a new X-Force team. Note, I said new. Cable had previously controlled X-Force, and back then it was also a team filled with teen heroes who did the X-Men's dirty work, AND it was sanctioned by Xavier. Still, Cyclops did the same thing, and suddenly this was horrible. They didn't get upset with the people on the actual team, but with Cyclops for putting it back together. They also didn't get upset with Wolverine for pretty much immediately after doing the exact same thing.

Then Schism happened, and that's when people really started calling BS. When Cyclops first joined the X-Men, he was a teenager. So were all the other team members, with Iceman being the youngest. When the next team rolled around, it was also made up of teenagers, except for Wolverine. Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, all teens, not to mention a couple members that died.

Then there was New Mutants, Generation X, the X-Terminators, New X-Men, and previous incarnations of X-Force. All teams with young mutant heroes, which no one ever had any problem with.

Then Idie kills some Hellfire Club mooks who had just taken out the entire team of X-Men, and Logan blames Scott. Nevermind that Scott didn't order her to do it, nevermind that Logan was supposed to be there but instead chose to get drunk at a bar, it was all Scott's fault. Logan had previously made no effort to the students, he'd skipped lectures and outright told them he did not care about them. Then he kills a bunch of illegitimate kids he didn't know he had, and he has a mid-life crisis.

Suddenly the entire idea of the X-Men is bad because you know, Cyclops is in charge. So Logan goes all alpha dog and starts peeing everywhere, and takes half the X-Men and leaves, then names the school after the only member of the X-Men to have killed more people than him.

Now we've got this event. It was one thing that everybody turned against Scott, it was one thing for him to end up imprisoned, but Marvel's developed a history of doing this. Remember the end of Civil War? Captain America gets put in prison, and shot? And before that he's given a speech about how he's out of touch for not using myspace? Remember the New Warriors, and how Speedball was imprisoned for the crime of surviving an explosion he didn't cause? He wasn't even the one that attacked Nitro. It would be like your friend attacking someone with a grenade, and then getting arrested for surviving the blast. So Speedball became bleedball for a while, and that was just sort of swept under the rug when people didn't go for his new dark and edgy look. The rule seems to be, in Marvel events now, the good guy goes to jail at the end.

Hulk loses it, comes back to Earth, World War Hulk. Admittedly I didn't read all of that event, but I seem to remember him going nuts and imprisoning and torturing a bunch of heroes. Daredevil went evil with Shadowland. Wolverine has gone evil so many times now they have specific protocols for dealing with him. Archangel became Apocalypse, and in the end had all his memory erased and became a new person. Iron Man's excuse for all the messed up stuff he did during Civil War was having his mind rebooted.I feel like I could keep going forever. Quicksilver went nuts and stole the Terrigan Mists, and was powering up depowered mutants with glowing red eyes. Scarlet Witch wished for no more mutants resulting in the near death of her entire species. Justice went to prison for killing his father in self defense.

My point is, in all of these cases these crimes were forgiven, forgotten and excused within months. The only other hero to have gotten this kind of treatment really was Pym for slapping Wasp and he's mostly been forgiven for that these days.

Cyclops meanwhile, is all but entirely innocent in this situation. Nobody thinks Jean is evil for the things she did while she was the Dark Phoenix, but Cyclops is when the same thing happens to him? He was the only member of the Phoenix Five not to be corrupted until the very end, and to begin with the only reason he became the hose was because of Iron Man's meddling. It's one thing for him to accept responsibility for the others, that's what a hero does, but these pages, the way the other characters are talking about him.

Captain America throwing a tantrum over Scott declaring this a win, Havok calling him an insane egotist and a disgrace and insulting him, Wolverine asking him if he's killed anyone, and taking time during Professor Xavier's euology to tell everyone how very much he wants to kill Cyclops. It's garbage. Complete and total garbage.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Blood1991

@mrmisanthrope: Of course he is popular even if you don't like him no one can deny that. Other characters like Wolverine, Rogue and Storm are also incredibly popular X-Men that take a lot of hate, but they still have large fan bases.

fastolfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By fastolfe

@mrmisanthrope: 1 x 10^999999999999 percent correct! I think Marvel has an agenda to keep giving Scott Summers the short end of the poop stick. Throughout the ages he is constantly harassed as not having fun but when it hits the fan, he's the man. Leading up to the schism, when the hell has Wolverine become so... paternalistic? He gave his blessing for his daughter to be on X-Force. Where was Wolverine when Cable took over the new mutants to become X-Force? Ridiculous. He absolutely lives in a glass house throwing boulders at Scott.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Crash_Recovery

@Aiden Cross: I've been a Cyclops fan and this event has served to push me away rather than bring me to support the character.

All-New X-Men is all about preventing the classic X-Men from becoming their future (current) selves, so in that sense, even Marvel is acknowledging that Cyclops has jumped the rails of what a hero and leader should be.

Flopsop200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Flopsop200

@mrmisanthrope: You hit the nail on the head my friend. I especially agree with how distasteful it was for mass murderer Logan to get on his high horse during Xavier's eulogy and talk about not taking revenge on Scott because that's not what Xavier would of wanted........Ok buddy what about everyone else you take revenge on? lol ridiculous. Logan pulls the possessed card at least every other year minimum, you'd think he'd share some of that forgiveness he's been given over the years.

UltraBiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By UltraBiel

@Crash_Recovery said:

@Aiden Cross: I've been a Cyclops fan and this event has served to push me away rather than bring me to support the character.

All-New X-Men is all about preventing the classic X-Men from becoming their future (current) selves, so in that sense, even Marvel is acknowledging that Cyclops has jumped the rails of what a hero and leader should be.

Did you really needed a new X-book to realize that? Since the beggining of the event Marvel made so the readers would think he and the x-men were the villains, but the writing was so bad that it ended the other way around. I Say for myself, I hated Cyke until that event.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#36  Edited By McKlayn

@mrmisanthrope: Great post that pretty much sums up the stupidity of everything, 110 percent behind everything you posted lol

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#37  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@HopesummersFORtheFUTURE said:

@TheCrowbar: the only reason scott and jean arent together is because she died

That was part of the reason and another reason you seemingly blatantly ignored that Crowbar seemed to clearly point out.

@TheCrowbar said:

@HopesummersFORtheFUTURE: I don't see how the two are related. Jean gave her blessing and psychically coerced Emma and Scott together to avoid a mutant Armageddon (From the White Hot Room).

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmisanthrope said:

Cyclops meanwhile, is all but entirely innocent in this situation. Nobody thinks Jean is evil for the things she did while she was the Dark Phoenix, but Cyclops is when the same thing happens to him? He was the only member of the Phoenix Five not to be corrupted until the very end, and to begin with the only reason he became the hose was because of Iron Man's meddling. It's one thing for him to accept responsibility for the others, that's what a hero does, but these pages, the way the other characters are talking about him.

Captain America throwing a tantrum over Scott declaring this a win, Havok calling him an insane egotist and a disgrace and insulting him, Wolverine asking him if he's killed anyone, and taking time during Professor Xavier's euology to tell everyone how very much he wants to kill Cyclops. It's garbage. Complete and total garbage.

Yeah i feel bad that nobody is giving scott a chance to redeem himself and at least jean grey didnt kill somebody everybody loved :P

One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By One_Eye
    No Caption Provided

@thveej said:

@Fuchsia_Nightingale said:

That image is probably my favorite thing that came out of AvX.

Mark me down for Team Cyclops. I'm all about people calling out moral victories and then not giving a F**** about the consequences. THROW UP DE X IF UR DOWN.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Rickbarry

@Blood1991: @god_spawn: I just downloaded AvX consequences 2. I was cheering for the guy all issue. Get an Ipad, guys. It's so much easier for comic readings.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BatteredArmor

@mrmisanthrope: Well said .You just summarized allot of the hypocrisy booth in universe and out of universe at Marvel. It's really ridiculous that Cyke could be treated this way when allot of what you said is common knowledge within the MU's super hero community, it seems like they would have to be forcing themselves not to see how screwed up what they are and have been doing is

@Rickbarry said:

I just downloaded AvX consequences 2.

How was it? Better then the first issue?

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By slimlim

@BlackArmor said:

@Rickbarry said:

I just downloaded AvX consequences 2.

How was it? Better then the first issue?

I won't say its better or worse... but definitely worth a read for Cyclops fans as its 90% about him.

One good thing is AVX Consequences 2 does show a different side to Scott compared to his most recent appearances. Since his incarceration, he generally comes off as pretty cold. This issue sheds some light into whats really going on behind that mask.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BatteredArmor

@slimlim: Thanks, I found some scans from it online so I kind of know what to expect now. It looks pretty good

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#44  Edited By Lvenger

Cap may have done some things wrong but he acted a helluva lot better than Cyclops did. AvX has just cemented my hatred of the character even more.

xtremekidx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By xtremekidx

after reading only avx 12 i can say i enjoyed the growth i saw from back when i saw him in tv shows and also xmen season 1 where he was training and busting his ass for the right thing and now he understands that you need to sacrifice something to gain greater good....that was established so well in his talk with cap...no matter how you look at it he won in the end...he brought back mutants.. :)

Aero_gt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Aero_gt
    No Caption Provided

Oh please, most of these fans only started liking him after the event, they don't know the true epitome of our Messiah Cyclops.

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By slimlim

@Aero_gt said:

Oh please, most of these fans only started liking him after the event, they don't know the true epitome of our Messiah Cyclops.

Well, to be fair to Cyke's new fans, he was a little bit of a stick in the mud during the 80s-90s.

Its only till Morrison and Whedon that the character was fleshed out more. Although i feel AvX was handled poorly (a lot of x-men acting out of character for the sake of moving the plot to where Marvel wanted it), i do feel that the growth of Cyclops has very interesting opportunities.

Xavier was a Mutant Pacificst (at least on the surface - only resorting to violence for defence and protection)

Magneto was a Mutant Terrorist

Whereas Cyclops now seems on his way to becoming a sort of MUTANT REVOLUTIONARY

Aero_gt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Aero_gt

@slimlim said:

@Aero_gt said:

Well, to be fair to Cyke's new fans, he was a little bit of a stick in the mud during the 80s-90s.

Its only till Morrison and Whedon that the character was fleshed out more. Although i feel AvX was handled poorly (a lot of x-men acting out of character for the sake of moving the plot to where Marvel wanted it), i do feel that the growth of Cyclops has very interesting opportunities.

Xavier was a Mutant Pacificst (at least on the surface - only resorting to violence for defence and protection)

Cyclops deep down is still the same boy scout, but he adapts. He will morally grey to give his all for the sake of mutants and even went out of his way to try and save humans in AVX. As for the fans it is nice to see positive post, but as long as they don't go overboard and become another Batman like fanbase.

Cyclops4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Cyclops4ever

@slimlim said:

@Aero_gt said:

I like that "MUTANT REVOLUTIONARY" concept. Cyclops doesn't have liberal or conservative type agendas, he just wants what is best for his people and humans as well who don't hate on mutants. I see the school as liberal douches and the avengers as stuck up conservative fascists, where as Cyclops is an intelligent moderate who just wants what is right for the people and the world. TEAM CYCLOPS put up your X signs!

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cyclops could do no wrong??? cool!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.