Follow

Cyclops

Character » Cyclops appears in 11232 issues.

The first X-Man, Scott Summers possesses the mutant ability to fire powerful concussive blasts through his eyes that act as a portal to another dimension full of the force that makes up his optic blast. He is visually distinctive for the ruby quartz visor he wears to control his devastating power. A born leader, Cyclops succeeded his mentor Professor X to command the X-Men.

Something Cyclops supporters (like myself) need to admit:

• 121 results
    soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By soduh2

The one unjustifiable mistake Cyclops made in this event was withholding the information he received from Cable. This could have altered the course of this event, let the Avengers know about Cable's bad future. Though it's difficult to tell whether or not they would have listened to Cable's warning after he tried to kill Captain America, Iron Man, and the Falcon.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By evilvegeta74

Once the Avengers set their minds to something , you already know what next , regardless of!

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By TheCrowbar

@soduh2: There's the whole "Can I even trust Avengers, the guys that never help us out, regardless of us coming and fighting THEIR war against Norman Osborn,"

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By fodigg

What about when he killed Professor X?

soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By soduh2

@fodigg said:

He had the phoenix force. Scott was talking to Jean Grey about something feeling "off" when he only had 1/5 of the Phoenix force, he certainly did not have control when the entire phoenix was within him.

trutrutru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By trutrutru

kind of irrelevant as far as im concerned. wouldnt have changed a thing

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@trutrutru said:

Yup.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

Cyclops: Cap, I have to tell you something Cable told me.

Cap: You mean the guy that just tried to kill all of us?

Cyke: Yeah...

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#9  Edited By McKlayn

Really? Dude Cyclops went to Captain America when the witch went crazy before house of M, was all like she needs to be brought to justice blah blah, hes all like

"She's a Avenger we will handle it"

No other explanation just the respect and trust of Cyclops. Cap shows up says basically the same thing, gets the same reply but that's not enough. he can shove that shield up his ass he deserved to get his head optic blasted off

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By BatteredArmor

@trutrutru said:

pretty much

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ssejllenrad

@McKlayn said:

Really? Dude Cyclops went to Captain America when the witch went crazy before house of M, was all like she needs to be brought to justice blah blah, hes all like

No other explanation just the respect and trust of Cyclops. Cap shows up says basically the same thing, gets the same reply but that's not enough. he can shove that shield up his ass he deserved to get his head optic blasted off

This.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12  Edited By lorex

Once Captain America showed up with the Avengers to force Cyclops to give up Hope it was too late from then on to talk about it.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By frozenedge2

Cap would've given him the whole "Are we sure the future Cable saw was our definite, sure as hell gonna happen future or just one possible future out of many" speech. Which he isn't wrong to think considering all the alternate and possible future crap everybody in Marvel has been through

Avatar image for samuel_larson_10
    samuel_larson_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By samuel_larson_10

@McKlayn said:

yeah x men should have handled it

One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By One_Eye

@frozenedge said:

Cap would've given him the whole "Are we sure the future Cable saw was our definite, sure as hell gonna happen future or just one possible future out of many" speech. Which he isn't wrong to think considering all the alternate and possible future crap everybody in Marvel has been through

Some form of collaboration would've helped, however, all Cap could think was to just watch the X-Men more closely.

allthatsgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By allthatsgeek

Hypocrite line of the year:

Hello Slim, killed anyone lately?

IDK, HAVE YOU?!

xeon1cs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xeon1cs

@fodigg said:

What about it?

Professor X tried to mentally shut Cyclops down. Scott was forced to retaliate in self-defense. You'd think Xavier of all people would know you don't do that to a Phoenix Host. I guess Wolverine forgot to mention that to the Avengers as well.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fodigg

@xeon1cs said:

@fodigg said:

What about it?

Professor X tried to mentally shut Cyclops down. Scott was forced to retaliate in self-defense. You'd think Xavier of all people would know you don't do that to a Phoenix Host. I guess Wolverine forgot to mention that to the Avengers as well.

So he has the power over reality itself and he can't think of a way to stop Xavier other than killing him?

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheCrowbar

@allthatsgeek said:

Hypocrite line of the year:

Hello Slim, killed anyone lately?

IDK, HAVE YOU?!

I lol'd.

@fodigg said:

@xeon1cs said:

@fodigg said:

What about it?

So he has the power over reality itself and he can't think of a way to stop Xavier other than killing him?

Power and control are two different things. His power had doubled mere moments before.

soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By soduh2

@fodigg said:

@xeon1cs said:

@fodigg said:

What about it?

"Think" while your mind is being driven by a cosmic entity.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By fodigg

@TheCrowbar: @soduh2:

And if he hadn't taken on the Phoenix--the full Phoenix anyway--willingly, you may have a case there. In fact, if I were Scott's lawyer I'd angle that the Avengers were responsible for infecting the Phoenix Five to begin with and from then on they weren't in control. But, Scott's not making that defense. He was perfectly happy to have the Phoenix and he pushed to get all of it. He's responsible for what happened to Charles.

Not that Wolverine isn't now as big a hypocrit as Beast, but you know, the writers hate the characters.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheCrowbar

@fodigg: Scott isn't making a defense for himself. His goal was to save his people, he did that. He's happy to take those consequences, justified or not, because he got what he wanted.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fodigg

@TheCrowbar said:

@fodigg: Scott isn't making a defense for himself. His goal was to save his people, he did that. He's happy to take those consequences, justified or not, because he got what he wanted.

Right, so it follows that he genuinely wanted the Phoenix, at least initially when all five got it, so he's responsible for any actions committed while empowered by the Phoenix Force whether it was influencing him or not.

Edit: If Scott got drunk off his ass and ran over Xavier in a car he'd be no less responsible for killing him, is my argument.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheCrowbar

@fodigg: No, he didn't ask for the power, Tony Stark accidentally gave it to him.

If you're drugged without your consent you're not liable for what you do under that drug's influence.

aaunderoath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By aaunderoath

@fodigg said:

@TheCrowbar said:

Right, so it follows that he genuinely wanted the Phoenix, at least initially when all five got it, so he's responsible for any actions committed while empowered by the Phoenix Force whether it was influencing him or not.

Edit: If Scott got drunk off his ass and ran over Xavier in a car he'd be no less responsible for killing him, is my argument.

Exactly, except the same rules should apply to Scarlet Witch, Wolverine, Magik, Colossus, Namor, Magneto, Quicksilver, Spider-Woman, Pym, Venom, Kaine, etc. But they don't, every other person in the Marvel universe who is now a hero that has at one point or another been the cause for the lose of innocent lives, whether it be mind control, outside entity, or their own creation(ultron), they should be facing the same consequences as Cyclops. But they aren't Cyclops is the first person to take the rap for "not being of sound mind". Hell even Steve Rogers was "possessed" by Red Skull during Cap Reborn but a simple "whoa woops I wasn't in control" was good enough. Yet Cyclops isn't even posing a defense, HE accepts that stuff went down when he wasn't in control so he's doing his time, no complaints. He was right in that the Phoenix could jump start the mutant population and he was also right that the Avengers never helped them when they needed it.

soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By soduh2

@fodigg said:

And if he hadn't taken on the Phoenix--the full Phoenix anyway--willingly, you may have a case there. In fact, if I were Scott's lawyer I'd angle that the Avengers were responsible for infecting the Phoenix Five to begin with and from then on they weren't in control. But, Scott's not making that defense. He was perfectly happy to have the Phoenix and he pushed to get all of it. He's responsible for what happened to Charles.

Not that Wolverine isn't now as big a hypocrit as Beast, but you know, the writers hate the characters.

Well, Cyclops claimed that something felt "off" when he only had 1/5th of the phoenix force. The Avengers actions (taking out Namor, Colossus, and Magik) gradually increased the amount of phoenix he had inside of him. While he took the rest of the Phoenix for himself AFTER he, unwillingly mind you, gained half of it.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fodigg

@TheCrowbar said:

@fodigg: No, he didn't ask for the power, Tony Stark accidentally gave it to him.

If you're drugged without your consent you're not liable for what you do under that drug's influence.

True, and that's what I would argue happened if I were Scott's legal counsel, but it could be countered the pursuit of additional power after that initial indicated quite clearly that he wanted the power and took it willingly, if not forcefully, and his own testimony would support that. Even if you argued that his desire for more power was influenced by the initial taste, it's not like addicts and alcoholics are given a pass when they go out for more drug to feed their habit. They're still culpable.

@aaunderoath said:

@fodigg said:

@TheCrowbar said:

Exactly, except the same rules should apply to Scarlet Witch, Wolverine, Magik, Colossus, Namor, Magneto, Quicksilver, Spider-Woman, Pym, Venom, Kaine, etc. But they don't, every other person in the Marvel universe who is now a hero that has at one point or another been the cause for the lose of innocent lives, whether it be mind control, outside entity, or their own creation(ultron), they should be facing the same consequences as Cyclops. But they aren't Cyclops is the first person to take the rap for "not being of sound mind". Hell even Steve Rogers was "possessed" by Red Skull during Cap Reborn but a simple "whoa woops I wasn't in control" was good enough. Yet Cyclops isn't even posing a defense, HE accepts that stuff went down when he wasn't in control so he's doing his time, no complaints. He was right in that the Phoenix could jump start the mutant population and he was also right that the Avengers never helped them when they needed it.

Not all those things are synonymous. I'd hardly rate mind control and unforeseen consequences with insanity, let alone willing possession. However, I would agree that Scarlet Witch getting a pass was ridiculous.

@soduh2 said:

@fodigg said:

Well, Cyclops claimed that something felt "off" when he only had 1/5th of the phoenix force. The Avengers actions (taking out Namor, Colossus, and Magik) gradually increased the amount of phoenix he had inside of him. While he took the rest of the Phoenix for himself AFTER he, unwillingly mind you, gained half of it.

Not a bad point except that by pointing out he felt that he was being influenced even as early as when he'd just received 1/5th power and didn't seek help proves he was aware of the danger and is culpable.

---

Edit: To be clear to all three of you, I think the whole event was crap and that ever major character (e.g., Scott, Logan, Storm, Emma, Cap) was written horribly out of character. I'm just arguing that, as written, Scott is the clear bad guy who did bad stuff and is responsible for that. But I wouldn't defend the quality of that writing.

soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By soduh2

@fodigg: "Not a bad point except that by pointing out he felt that he was being influenced even as early as when he'd just received 1/5th power and didn't seek help proves he was aware of the danger and is culpable."

Technically he did seek help when he created the echo of Jean Grey. But also by creating the echo, seeking help, it showed that he still lacked his humanity. Sort of an inception sort of way, Cyclops' methods of mantaining his humanity showed how far from it he was. Also looking at the dinner he and Emma were eating while the Avengers were fighting them.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

sorry the middle picture didnt show up

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    Cytorrak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Cytorrak

As Cap got there, Emma told Cyclops that Cap would not listen no matter what he said, and had already made his mind and wanted to take Hope.

Cable also told Cyclops that war was unavoidable, that it was the only way.

xmentas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By xmentas

@allthatsgeek: Honestly....like Wolverine is some saint now.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#33  Edited By McKlayn

ok as a big big supporter of Cyclops ima try not to get into the who did what when where, Scott did some actions you could say he shouldn't depending on how you look at them. in the comic though HE ADMITS THAT, and accepts whatever punishment.

SO WHY ON EARTH can't they make Cap admit he was just as wrong, that he helped to push him over the top and that HE COULD OF handled things better.

and no not that lame line "We should of helped mutants more" cause as much as that is true, its not the only thing you screwed up on. For god sakes admit your at least 50 percent responsible for all the deaths caused by the Phoenix in the last battle, it's this type of writing of Him and Wolverine that makes me and many other readers absolutely hate them and not care what Cyclops did, he was right and they need to stfu.

xeon1cs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By xeon1cs

@McKlayn said:

ok as a big big supporter of Cyclops ima try not to get into the who did what when where, Scott did some actions you could say he shouldn't depending on how you look at them. in the comic though HE ADMITS THAT, and accepts whatever punishment.

SO WHY ON EARTH can't they make Cap admit he was just as wrong, that he helped to push him over the top and that HE COULD OF handled things better.

and no not that lame line "We should of helped mutants more" cause as much as that is true, its not the only thing you screwed up on. For god sakes admit your at least 50 percent responsible for all the deaths caused by the Phoenix in the last battle, it's this type of writing of Him and Wolverine that makes me and many other readers absolutely hate them and not care what Cyclops did, he was right and they need to stfu.

Because if Cap admits he was wrong, everything about their new flagship Uncanny Avengers title would crumble into pieces.

iSummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By iSummers

cyclops was right

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By dernman

Cap was right also.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By evilvegeta74

Cyclops will always win in a stare down!

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By dernman

Unless he is looking in a mirror.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Dernman said:

Cap was right also.

HAHAHAHA

Good one.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By dernman
    @TheCrowbar said:

@Dernman said:

Cap was right also.

HAHAHAHA

Good one.

Truth can be funny.
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Dernman said:

@TheCrowbar said:

@Dernman said:

Cap was right also.

HAHAHAHA

Good one.

Truth can be funny.

It can be. But Cap wasn't right in the least.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By dernman
    @TheCrowbar said:

@Dernman said:

@TheCrowbar said:

@Dernman said:

Cap was right also.

HAHAHAHA

Good one.

Truth can be funny.

It can be. But Cap wasn't right in the least.

Except that he was.
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Dernman: Feel free to elaborate.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By dernman
    @TheCrowbar: I've already been down that road multiple times.
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheCrowbar
    No Caption Provided

@Dernman:

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#46  Edited By joshmightbe

Why is noone on here pointing out how horribly out of character AVX was for almost everyone involved

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By dernman
    @TheCrowbar: Oh right because a biased fanmade picture that doesn't tell the whole story is suppose to mean something.
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By dernman
    @joshmightbe said:

Why is noone on here pointing out how horribly out of character AVX was for almost everyone involved

That was pointed out several times.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#49  Edited By joshmightbe

@Dernman: I'm talking about this thread

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Dernman: Take a chill pill.It's a parody.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.