Follow

Cyclops

Character » Cyclops appears in 11232 issues.

The first X-Man, Scott Summers possesses the mutant ability to fire powerful concussive blasts through his eyes that act as a portal to another dimension full of the force that makes up his optic blast. He is visually distinctive for the ruby quartz visor he wears to control his devastating power. A born leader, Cyclops succeeded his mentor Professor X to command the X-Men.

Scott Summers, Director of S.H.I.E.L.D.

PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PumpkinBomb

Just an idea I had while browsing the "Cyclops needs to evolve, etc." thread. He doesn't need his power set tampered with or sudden personality changes; just put him in an interesting position and let the character develop naturally from there. That said, I think they could have put the MU in a much more interesting position by asking Scott Summers to take over as director of S.H.I.E.L.D. 

Steve Rogers is a nice guy and a great tactical leader, but doesn't really have a lot of experience on the strategic level. Cyclops has that in spades along with the combat experience, as well as having the moral flexibility to make sacrifices for the greater good that would be way out of character for Cap. The latter would still be in charge of the Secret Avengers anyways. Cyclops' training in psionic secret retention could prove infinitely useful, and furthermore it would be a terrific way to integrate the mutant community more with the rest of the world. The Heroic Age is in full swing, and they're still as (literally) insular as ever. What better way to raise the profile and acceptance of the X-Men in post-Osborn America than to put one in charge of world security? Systematic contact with the Avengers and so forth would broaden the X-Men's field of influence and strengthen inter-series ties, and Charles Xavier's return would let him pick up any slack in leadership due to Scott's extra duties. Besides, wouldn't you enjoy the X-Men's base of operations being a souped-up helicarrier?

If anything could epitomize the idea of the Heroic Age more than Captain America in charge of S.H.I.E.L.D., it's Cyclops in the same. Thoughts?

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Icon

I have never thought of this role for him before, but that would be a pretty cool shake-up of the status quo. God knows he would do a great job, and just think of how many people he could piss off by doing it. First there are all the Cyke haters who don't even like him leading the X-Men, then there are the fictional haters in the comics who would be pissed a mutant is now running the show. That makes me want it to happen, but mostly I think in order for Xavier's dream to be realized people like Scott Summers are going to need to work within the broader system, and not just be focused on mutant affairs. 

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Nova`Prime`

You lost a lot of credability when you said Cyclops has more strategic experience then Steve Rogers. Steve Rogers was "built" to be the perfect soldier in both body and mind. He's brain was also enchanced to deal with the stress of planning, executing, and evolving multiple battle plans from the tactical, to the strategic.

jayskee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By jayskee
    @Nova`Prime` said:
    "You lost a lot of credability when you said Cyclops has more strategic experience then Steve Rogers. Steve Rogers was "built" to be the perfect soldier in both body and mind. He's brain was also enchanced to deal with the stress of planning, executing, and evolving multiple battle plans from the tactical, to the strategic. "

exactly
    lennyoks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lennyoks
    @jayskee: Cyclops was trained to be a general, Captain America was trained to be ... A captain??? Steve might have more battle experience than cyclops, but  i gotta say slim seems more of the strategist IMHO.
    jayskee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jayskee
    @lennyoks said:
    " @jayskee: Cyclops was trained to be a general, Captain America was trained to be ... A captain??? Steve might have more battle experience than cyclops, but  i gotta say slim seems more of the strategist IMHO. "

Steve was enchanced so that both his body and mine were ungraded to the peak on human conditoining.  He was a captain in world war 2 , which is higher than a general, an as a century of exprience. let me known when slim has done all that 
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @jayskee said:
    " @lennyoks said:
    " @jayskee: Cyclops was trained to be a general, Captain America was trained to be ... A captain??? Steve might have more battle experience than cyclops, but  i gotta say slim seems more of the strategist IMHO. "
    Steve was enchanced so that both his body and mine were ungraded to the peak on human conditoining.  He was a captain in world war 2 , which is higher than a general, an as a century of exprience. let me known when slim has done all that  "
    I am sorry but no a Captain is not higher then a General.. not even in the Navy. Although you are right on the rest of it with Cap having more experience.
    PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PumpkinBomb
    @jayskee: 
    He has something like nineteen years of experience (1941-1944, Marvel 0-14) to Cyclops' latter fifteen. That's not a huge difference, especially considering how much time the X-Men have spent gallivanting about the timestream, Hell and outer space. I'd argue that Cyclops has a wider range of experience than Steve does.

Steve Rogers was instantly turned into a "perfect soldier" at the age of 24, but Cyclops was trained to be a perfect leader since puberty. I don't know where you're getting the "century of experience" from; Cap spent 50-odd years in an ice floe...
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I rank Scott as the #1 all round leader in comic books, so I could certainly see him leading SHIELD. Lord knows he'd do a better job than Fury or Stark ever did.

As it stands though, I'm fine with Rogers in the role.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#10  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

ummmm noooooooo
    Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Jotham

Dang, I actually think this is a cool idea.

jayskee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jayskee
    @PumpkinBomb said:
    "@jayskee: 
    He has something like nineteen years of experience (1941-1944, Marvel 0-14) to Cyclops' latter fifteen. That's not a huge difference, especially considering how much time the X-Men have spent gallivanting about the timestream, Hell and outer space. I'd argue that Cyclops has a wider range of experience than Steve does.

Steve Rogers was instantly turned into a "perfect soldier" at the age of 24, but Cyclops was trained to be a perfect leader since puberty. I don't know where you're getting the "century of experience" from; Cap spent 50-odd years in an ice floe... "

show me some scans that prove cyclops is a better leader
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @PumpkinBomb said:
    "Just an idea I had while browsing the "Cyclops needs to evolve, etc." thread. He doesn't need his power set tampered with or sudden personality changes; just put him in an interesting position and let the character develop naturally from there. That said, I think they could have put the MU in a much more interesting position by asking Scott Summers to take over as director of S.H.I.E.L.D. 

Steve Rogers is a nice guy and a great tactical leader, but doesn't really have a lot of experience on the strategic level. Cyclops has that in spades along with the combat experience, as well as having the moral flexibility to make sacrifices for the greater good that would be way out of character for Cap. The latter would still be in charge of the Secret Avengers anyways. Cyclops' training in psionic secret retention could prove infinitely useful, and furthermore it would be a terrific way to integrate the mutant community more with the rest of the world. The Heroic Age is in full swing, and they're still as (literally) insular as ever. What better way to raise the profile and acceptance of the X-Men in post-Osborn America than to put one in charge of world security? Systematic contact with the Avengers and so forth would broaden the X-Men's field of influence and strengthen inter-series ties, and Charles Xavier's return would let him pick up any slack in leadership due to Scott's extra duties. Besides, wouldn't you enjoy the X-Men's base of operations being a souped-up helicarrier? If anything could epitomize the idea of the Heroic Age more than Captain America in charge of S.H.I.E.L.D., it's Cyclops in the same. Thoughts? "

@Icon said:
    "I have never thought of this role for him before, but that would be a pretty cool shake-up of the status quo. God knows he would do a great job, and just think of how many people he could piss off by doing it. First there are all the Cyke haters who don't even like him leading the X-Men, then there are the fictional haters in the comics who would be pissed a mutant is now running the show. That makes me want it to happen, but mostly I think in order for Xavier's dream to be realized people like Scott Summers are going to need to work within the broader system, and not just be focused on mutant affairs.  "

first off you both made really good arguements and i admit when i first came into this board i sort of wrote it off
    i like cyclops but i just really cant see him leading Shield of all organizations. 

Scotts just a bit too emotional, hes to used too a family type setting   and besides the x-men usually try to stay away from the spotlight
    PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PumpkinBomb
    @jayskee:  
    Leadership ability is an abstract concept that depends on the needs of the plot line, not a quantifiable trait like strength level. It would be more appropriate to cite story arcs than specific scans; and even then, they've never been placed in near-identical situations with near-identical resources. 

I never said Cyclops was a "better leader", just that he's clearly as qualified for the job and would make an interesting director.
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @PumpkinBomb:
    what about a cooperative position
    Mediant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By Mediant

I'm not sure Scott would be the best leader of SHIELD, but I think it would be very interesting to see. Making him director would have a lot of good plot development and implications-- and I think that's what really matters, not whether or not he's better than any of the previous directors.

karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By karrob
    @lennyoks said:
    Sorry. I am a big cyclops fan but Steve Rogers is the best strategist in Marvel hands down.
    PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PumpkinBomb
    @karrob: 
    Funny what happened in Civil War then. What other multi-team operations has he commanded?
    jayskee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jayskee
    @PumpkinBomb said:
    " @karrob: Funny what happened in Civil War then. What other multi-team operations has he commanded? "

right now steve is in charge of the countries sercurity and the secret avengers and he has set up 4 other avengers teams
    karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By karrob
    @PumpkinBomb said:
    " @karrob: Funny what happened in Civil War then. What other multi-team operations has he commanded? "
    Well Steve surrendered after he saw all the damage that they had done. The Victory was in the bag. Vision disabled Tony's Armor and Steve beat the corn stuffing out of him. He also lead all the Marvel Hero's during the Secret Wars. With that being said Cyclops is also an excellent strategist as well. And I have no doubt that Scott would be a good Director of Shield but Cap has studied military strategy since the SSS as well as developing all the battle strategies for the Avengers. Scott (within the last 10 years or so) has really been thrust into the for front making his transition from field commander to bona fide Mutant leader/commander but prior to that Prof X was the go to guy who developed all the X-men battle plans and strategies. Also usually if there is a team crossover Cap is the leader and field commander. 
    PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PumpkinBomb
    @jayskee:  
    I meant operations that would have qualified him for the position in the first place.  

@karrob:

Even if he'd knocked off Tony's head  they would have lost the war. Rebelling was a stupid decision in the first place, and he only made it worse for everyone involved. In all fairness, he should be in jail right now.
    Avatar image for red_lightning_alpha
    Red_Lightning_Alpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i agree with a lot of things said here, love the idea of Cyclops director of shield. Captain America is a great leader on the battle field he fill people with confidence, he knows what hes doing and shows that he knows what hes doing, but i dont think at any point has he shown that hes a better leader than Cyclops. Cyclops lead the X-Men through a slaughter in Second Coming, he also won the race to get his hands on the first mutant born in like 5 years beating of Sinister and his Marauders and the Purifiers.    

lennyoks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lennyoks

I see steve as a great commander, inspiring  and so on, but not as a strategist. I'll even go so far as to say both tony stark and nick fury are better strategists than rogers. Stark, fury and Scott will play dirty if needed they are generals, rogers is a captain he is the best guy to have leading in the field. Rogers might be the best at  battle strategy, but i think stark fury and  scott are way better at war strategy. And if you say rogers is the best because of experience,  remember nick fury has more of that. 

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @PumpkinBomb said:
    " @jayskee:  
    I meant operations that would have qualified him for the position in the first place.  

@karrob:
     Even if he'd knocked off Tony's head  they would have lost the war. Rebelling was a stupid decision in the first place, and he only made it worse for everyone involved. In all fairness, he should be in jail right now. "
    If everything in the MU made sense, Stark would be in prison and Osborn would be killed. 

But Quesada and Bendick think we're all retards, so here we are.
    PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PumpkinBomb
    @FadeToBlackBolt: 
    Remind me why Stark should be in prison?
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @PumpkinBomb: Civil War, OMD, Secret Invasion, Siege; all his fault. Norman was arrested for general incompetence leading to treason, so should Stark have been.
    PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PumpkinBomb
    @FadeToBlackBolt: 
    I don't think incompetence is a criminal offence. It's not like he conspired with the supervillain community to assassinate American citizens like his successor.

And while I wouldn't call events those his fault so much as Cap's, the Skrulls' and Osborn's,  if I remember correctly he did use his position for personal profit and purposefully tried to start a war with Atlantis. So you're absolutely right that he should have been tried - if anybody knew what he had done. I don't think there's any admissible proof of his actual offenses at this point; given his recent brainwipe, he probably doesn't even remember his shenanigans.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @PumpkinBomb: You're probably right, I'm just furious that the Sentry, the noble schitzophrenic, was used as the scapegoat for the whole thing. It was beyond insulting.
    Kain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Kain

Considering Cap spent the majority of his time as Captain America on ice his "experience" is not a factor as you can't exactly gain a "century" of experience in stasis. Cyclops was the leader of both Avengers, F4 and X-men during the Onslaught crossover, he's also been leading the x-men longer than Cap has been leading any iteration of Avengers. 

Professor X never developed the battle plans for the X-men, most of their battles take place at a moments notice and Cyclops has always had to come up with the strategy to win during those battles. Cyclops has always been the one to bring the X-men victory with his strategic mind.

The fact that Cyclops didn't need a syrum to enhance himself and still be practically even with Cap in strategic brilliance easily makes Cyclops that much more impressive. Caps "experience" is a none issue since he was under ice for a long time and by that time Cyclops had easily matched whatever Cap had done by the time Cap had been thawed out.

Kain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Kain
    @Avenging-X-Bolt said:
    " @PumpkinBomb said:
    "Just an idea I had while browsing the "Cyclops needs to evolve, etc." thread. He doesn't need his power set tampered with or sudden personality changes; just put him in an interesting position and let the character develop naturally from there. That said, I think they could have put the MU in a much more interesting position by asking Scott Summers to take over as director of S.H.I.E.L.D. 

Steve Rogers is a nice guy and a great tactical leader, but doesn't really have a lot of experience on the strategic level. Cyclops has that in spades along with the combat experience, as well as having the moral flexibility to make sacrifices for the greater good that would be way out of character for Cap. The latter would still be in charge of the Secret Avengers anyways. Cyclops' training in psionic secret retention could prove infinitely useful, and furthermore it would be a terrific way to integrate the mutant community more with the rest of the world. The Heroic Age is in full swing, and they're still as (literally) insular as ever. What better way to raise the profile and acceptance of the X-Men in post-Osborn America than to put one in charge of world security? Systematic contact with the Avengers and so forth would broaden the X-Men's field of influence and strengthen inter-series ties, and Charles Xavier's return would let him pick up any slack in leadership due to Scott's extra duties. Besides, wouldn't you enjoy the X-Men's base of operations being a souped-up helicarrier? If anything could epitomize the idea of the Heroic Age more than Captain America in charge of S.H.I.E.L.D., it's Cyclops in the same. Thoughts? "

@Icon said:
    "I have never thought of this role for him before, but that would be a pretty cool shake-up of the status quo. God knows he would do a great job, and just think of how many people he could piss off by doing it. First there are all the Cyke haters who don't even like him leading the X-Men, then there are the fictional haters in the comics who would be pissed a mutant is now running the show. That makes me want it to happen, but mostly I think in order for Xavier's dream to be realized people like Scott Summers are going to need to work within the broader system, and not just be focused on mutant affairs.  "
    first off you both made really good arguements and i admit when i first came into this board i sort of wrote it offi like cyclops but i just really cant see him leading Shield of all organizations.  Scotts just a bit too emotional, hes to used too a family type setting   and besides the x-men usually try to stay away from the spotlight "

Cyclops is hardly emotional, the last few years have showed him as cold and calculating during battle because that's how he has to be to win, he switches off his emotions so they don't get in the way of the right decision. In Messiah Complex for example; Cyclops was willing to have X-force kill Cable for the baby when he thought he was the traitor.
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @Kain:
    thats because hes had Emma's dick up his @$$ for the past 6 years. 

might as well make her the "top cop" 

as for the Cable thing...not really impressive. 

Scotts never really had a problem abandoning his family
    Avatar image for deactivated-60e87a786cc9c
    deactivated-60e87a786cc9c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Maybe in an AU,I want that.But in the main marvel continuity??Not a good idea.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.