Follow

Cyclops

Character » Cyclops appears in 11232 issues.

The first X-Man, Scott Summers possesses the mutant ability to fire powerful concussive blasts through his eyes that act as a portal to another dimension full of the force that makes up his optic blast. He is visually distinctive for the ruby quartz visor he wears to control his devastating power. A born leader, Cyclops succeeded his mentor Professor X to command the X-Men.

Is he the ideal host of the PF? (contains Spoilers)

Lokheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lokheit

If you've read AvX 5, then you know about the 5 X-Men carrying the Phoenix with them after whatever happened when Ironman hit it. None of them would be able to host the entire PF, but apparently all of them are powerful enough to carry a part of it (the Cuckoos were able to carry it in parts after all).

One of them is Scott Summers.

During Phoenix Endsong, it was revealed that the PF wanted Jean to be with him because the energy from his optic blasts could feed the Phoenix forever.

Now Cyclops himself is hosting a portion of the Phoenix Force. Being a living battery that can keep feeding the Phoenix, would even just a fraction of it be completly invincible? No matter how much power it uses, it will never weaken because it has access to unlimited energy to keep gaining strength. In a sustained fight, would it even win against old hosts of the complete phoenix force?

I know we don't have any feedback of how strong are this new hosts (except for Cyclops getting rid of the avengers, including red hulk, with a single shot before leaving to earth), but it's still a power based on the Phoenix with access to Cyclops energy which feeds it.

PS: There is still the possibility that the writters completly forgets about this and PIS any battle involving him ¬¬

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator  Online
    PS: There is still the possibility that the writters completly forgets about this and PIS any battle involving him ¬¬

As per this event, yeah.

Interesting analysis, but I seriously doubt much thought and research was put into this event that it would be the actual answer.

Hareil0079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hareil0079

@Lokheit said:

If you've read AvX 5, then you know about the 5 X-Men carrying the Phoenix with them after whatever happened when Ironman hit it. None of them would be able to host the entire PF, but apparently all of them are powerful enough to carry a part of it (the Cuckoos were able to carry it in parts after all).

One of them is Scott Summers.

During Phoenix Endsong, it was revealed that the PF wanted Jean to be with him because the energy from his optic blasts could feed the Phoenix forever.

Now Cyclops himself is hosting a portion of the Phoenix Force. Being a living battery that can keep feeding the Phoenix, would even just a fraction of it be completly invincible? No matter how much power it uses, it will never weaken because it has access to unlimited energy to keep gaining strength. In a sustained fight, would it even win against old hosts of the complete phoenix force?

I know we don't have any feedback of how strong are this new hosts (except for Cyclops getting rid of the avengers, including red hulk, with a single shot before leaving to earth), but it's still a power based on the Phoenix with access to Cyclops energy which feeds it.

Yea remember that in Phoenix ES, marvel will make up some BS why he wont be able to have unlimited potential

Osian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Osian2

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I remember correctly the only reason Scott never goes max power with his blast is because his body can't take the strain and he would die. But now that he has the phoenix (a creature of life/rebirth) it could be possible to unleash the full potential of his power i.e. Full power blasts all the time.

It will be interesting if the writers actually make use of this as we've never seen the full potential of his power so far because of his brain injury.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator  Online

@Osian2: You are correct as to why he can't access his full power. He has an entire universe of his optic energy and he can't expel it all at once is due to physical limitations. He has almost killed himself on 2 occasions that I know of cause of it.

Osian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Osian2

@god_spawn: Civil was the last time I remember him going full power and he destroyed a bunker door that was strong enough to survive a nuke so who knows what his power level will be now that he's merged with phoenix.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By BatteredArmor

Interesting point, 20 bucks says Bendis isn't aware of this

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator  Online

@Osian2: IIRC that was one of the times he was close to killing himself there. Another was way back in the day when he blasted through a mountain and he didn't just knock himself unconscious, his brain shut itself down.

Hareil0079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hareil0079

@Osian2 said:

@god_spawn: Civil was the last time I remember him going full power and he destroyed a bunker door that was strong enough to survive a nuke so who knows what his power level will be now that he's merged with phoenix.

He almost killed bishop in the process. Yet his optic blasts couldn't put a dent in tony's bunker

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator  Online

@Hareil0079 said:

@Osian2 said:

He almost killed bishop in the process. Yet his optic blasts couldn't put a dent in tony's bunker

What issue was it again? I want to check it out again myself.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Gambit1024

I thought only Omega-mutants can only host the whole Phoenix Force.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Kallarkz

@Hareil0079 said:

@Osian2 said:

No he did not. Bishop was caught by surprise with his max and was only struggling to contain it because he didn't want to kill the people in the nearby area.

He could have easily dealt with the power but unleashing it would have caused destruction for miles and killed nearby team mates so he sent it in space.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Mercy_

This is just such bull. I can't even...ugh.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mercy_

@god_spawn said:

@Hareil0079 said:

@Osian2 said:

What issue was it again? I want to check it out again myself.

Civil War: X-Men. Issue 3 or 4 if I'm not mistaken.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator  Online

@Mercy_: Thanks, love.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mercy_

@god_spawn: Checking now.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mercy_
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kallarkz

"Can't contain it"

Bishops body does have limits to what he can contain but he was going through so much because he was trying to hold it all in.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator  Online

@Mercy_: Sweet.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mercy_

@Kallarkz said:

"Can't contain it"

Bishops body does have limits to what he can contain but he was going through so much because he was trying to hold it all in.

I think the point being made is that he wasn't able to process/handle it. He had to release it.

@god_spawn said:

@Mercy_: Sweet.

It also stands to mention that Cyke was being mind-controlled.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator  Online

@Mercy_: I remember that. It's been sometime since I read the issue though.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kallarkz

@Mercy_ said:

@Kallarkz said:

"Can't contain it"

I understand.

No he couldn't contain it forever but he was able to for a period of time.

But I don't want to start splitting hairs.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Blood1991

I do enjoy the Irony of Scott and Emma being PF'd out, but choosing heroes to be evil vessels was kinda used like four months ago.....

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By XsPectre28

@Gambit1024 said:

glad someone else remembered this key fact....... despite colossus having juggernaut powers he isnt omega level, nor is magik, namor, or cyclops for that matter but they only wield shards of the phoenix as the the 3 in 1 aren't omega level either but i guess the split into 3 made it alil easier to wield. JUST BRING JEAN GREY BACK

Osian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Osian2

@XsPectre28 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

glad someone else remembered this key fact....... despite colossus having juggernaut powers he isnt omega level, nor is magik, namor, or cyclops for that matter but they only wield shards of the phoenix as the the 3 in 1 aren't omega level either but i guess the split into 3 made it alil easier to wield. JUST BRING JEAN GREY BACK

I always hated the idea of "Omega" and "Alpha" mutants I mean what's to say that an alpha mutants power can't evolve into omega level? Also out of the billions of mutants that used to exist only a few of them were omega level and even then it's not as if they were that powerful anyway. I don't think you have to be an omega level mutant to harness the phoenix force anyway because their have been hundreds of host who were aliens and I doubt everyone was amutant and an omega level at that.

One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By One_Eye

@Osian2 said:

@XsPectre28 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

I always hated the idea of "Omega" and "Alpha" mutants I mean what's to say that an alpha mutants power can't evolve into omega level? Also out of the billions of mutants that used to exist only a few of them were omega level and even then it's not as if they were that powerful anyway. I don't think you have to be an omega level mutant to harness the phoenix force anyway because their have been hundreds of host who were aliens and I doubt everyone was amutant and an omega level at that.

@XsPectre28: @Osian2: I agree. "Omega Level" to me has always amounted to mutants being delegated to plot-devices. Even Storm who possess "Omega Level Potential" has suffered, Bobby Drake is getting moderate exposure, and Jean is used to troll the fan-base at best. Honestly, power-levels, power-readings, and multiple transformations, power-levels that feature the Greek alphabet, and such remind me of too many shonen-themed animes and manga. They just need to go away.

Osian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Osian2

Just found these images where Scott became the Phoenix host during the teen titans crossover.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Hareil0079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hareil0079

@Mercy_ said:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Thank you for posting that, I got into a debate not to long ago and you ended up proving my point

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By PowerHerc

No, he's not.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator  Online

@lykopis:

I remember all of this too -- plus, there was one time that Cyclops stated he could blast through a planet....don't ask me for the issue, I can't remember, but it was in the older titles.

I believe it was during his solo series in 2001 and it was when he was attacking the Juggernaut and BT Cassidy. It was definitely hyperbole on Scott's part, kind of like Sentry and his million suns. Scott doesn't have the showings back then or even now for that statement to be true.

Logically, he shouldn't need his visor anymore but don't forget who is writing this. =/

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator  Online

@lykopis: He's not going to be killed off. Too illogical. Marvel can make pretty stupid events, but when turning away as much money Cyclops, Emma as a couple and the team in total makes as a whole would be stupid. Marvel may kill of some characters, but not the major ones where it makes a difference. Like Black Goliath in Civil War. Nightcrawler and Cable in Second Coming. Sure they were popular but not influential. Bucky "died" in Fear Itself but only so Cap could get his mantle back and Bucky was fine a few issues later. Thor died in Fear Itself but he was still in the running of his own title, he was gone for only a few issues. Hence why I don't see Cykes being killed off, Emma and him splitting especially for someone like Namor, or them turning the X-Men evil as so many have predicted or have been wondering with this event. Marvel may be stupid with events, but as a business, they are not. If they were, AvX wouldn't be grossing more than Civil War.

MarvelGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MarvelGrey

I hope they actually do something with Illyana after this event because she hasn't done anything memorable in the last few years. As for a death in this AVX event It very well may be Hank Pym, or Scarlet Witch (hopefully). As for all of them holding the Phoenix force they were all the strongest on he moon at that moment. Emma is one of the strongest telepaths at this moment. Scott still has the void so it could be potential energy there. Colossus the bearer of the Cyttorak ruby. Magik use to be Darkchilde (how i miss that) and Namor has arrogance that defeats Doom's.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now that the Phoenix has created it's own set of Power Rangers...

No, Cyclops is not the ideal host for the Phoenix, neither are any of the others that were chosen as hosts. I'm sure some kind of half-ass reason as to why they were chosen will be provided, and I fully expect to be disappointed in it

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#34  Edited By x_29

@Mercy_: It will all be over soon

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gambit1024: that is supposedly true but i guess marvel can rewrite history all they want

rpgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By rpgr

Why does everyone say they were chosen? They were substitutes to Hope and her peeps.

ARIARAIDEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ARIARAIDEN

Imo he seems to be the most suitable host of the PF.

vernierhawk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By vernierhawk001

Wow. I'm so far out of the loop (been on a bit of a DC kick). Cyke has Phoenix Force powers now?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.