Follow

Cyclops

Character » Cyclops appears in 11231 issues.

The first X-Man, Scott Summers possesses the mutant ability to fire powerful concussive blasts through his eyes that act as a portal to another dimension full of the force that makes up his optic blast. He is visually distinctive for the ruby quartz visor he wears to control his devastating power. A born leader, Cyclops succeeded his mentor Professor X to command the X-Men.

Cyclops was right!

• 115 results
    photowill404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By photowill404

@aaunderoath said:

Not only was Scott right but he was also fixing every problem on Earth using the Phoenix Force. It wasn't until the Avengers poked him that the Phoenix Five started to lose it. Also it really bothers me that everyone blames Cyclops for the things Emma, Namor, Magik, and Colossus were doing BEHIND his back. So there's that, he also didn't just murder Xavier, he asked him 5 times to get out of his head, Xavier essentially threatened to lobotomize him right then in there.

Secondly I'd like to point out in Avengers Disassembled AND House of M Scarlet Witch destroyed more lives and FORCED heroes to kill each other(she-hulk beat the crap out of the Avengers and ripped Vision in half, Scott Lang and the mansion got blown up, Tony was "drunk" in front of the UN, and Hawkeye sacrificed himself to save other because of a fake kree invasion), but for her she's treated like "no guys it's ok she didn't know what she was doing" but the Phoenix taking complete control over Scott's mind was bad news bears .... ಠ_ಠ ... seriously??

exactly. i guess its okay to do all those things if you're an avenger. hell during civil war iron man and reed richards built a super prison and then kept people in there without trail and or due process and neither of them got arrested afterwards. i really think the mutants have gotten a bad deal ever since the avenger characters started getting movies

Osian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Osian2

@sonny1 said:

@slimlim said:

@sonny1 said:

If not for Scarlet witch Hope would have not known that she was chosen because she was the only one that would have been able to give up the Phoenix force and with the Scarlet witches help bring back the mutants. So no Scott wasn't right he needlessly started the fight between the X-men and the Avengers and cost countless deaths including professor X. Scott didn't know what he was doing.

Cyclops was right because the Phoenix force was used to restore the mutant race. Whether or not Scarlet Witch had a hand in convincing Hope is besides the point. She could have done so without Captain America and the Avengers storming into Utopia and attempting to destroy the Phoenix force.

Cyclops was right. Avengers were wrong.

But the Avengers movie made an obscene amount of money at the box office. So Scott is labelled a villain and goes to jail.

No Scott wasn't right because:

1 the phoenix did not restore the mutant race hope and scarlet witch did. They used the phoenix to do it.

2 If he would have worked with the avengers and let them know what was going on, maybe they would have found a solution together and their was no way in hell he would have let the scarlet witch help.

3 He got innocent people killed in the end, and Murdered professor X.

4. The scarlet witch USED her powers along with hope to return the mutants with Hopes. If i am wrong feel free to post the comic to prove it.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Scott wanted Hope to use the Phoenix like she did in the end.

The Avengers didn't want Hope to have the phoenix and by the end that was their plan so he's only as guilty as the Avengers. If Cap was right to stop Hope because the Phoenix is unpredictable then letting Wanda with her CHAOS powers anywhere near is much more risky.

That's right he was possessed by one of the most powerful cosmic entities in the MU and he killed people as a result. Wolverine gets possessed by a demon or goes into a beserker rage and it's all fine. Wanda gets manipulated by Dr Doom and it's hey no biggie. Scott is imprisoned while those murderers are put on the Uncanny Avengers? Something is seriously wrong with Captain Americas sense of justice.

Did she? I see them both saying the same sentence but no power at all coming from Wanda. It's all Hope.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#53  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@photowill404 said:

@aaunderoath said:

Not only was Scott right but he was also fixing every problem on Earth using the Phoenix Force. It wasn't until the Avengers poked him that the Phoenix Five started to lose it. Also it really bothers me that everyone blames Cyclops for the things Emma, Namor, Magik, and Colossus were doing BEHIND his back. So there's that, he also didn't just murder Xavier, he asked him 5 times to get out of his head, Xavier essentially threatened to lobotomize him right then in there.

Secondly I'd like to point out in Avengers Disassembled AND House of M Scarlet Witch destroyed more lives and FORCED heroes to kill each other(she-hulk beat the crap out of the Avengers and ripped Vision in half, Scott Lang and the mansion got blown up, Tony was "drunk" in front of the UN, and Hawkeye sacrificed himself to save other because of a fake kree invasion), but for her she's treated like "no guys it's ok she didn't know what she was doing" but the Phoenix taking complete control over Scott's mind was bad news bears .... ಠ_ಠ ... seriously??

exactly. i guess its okay to do all those things if you're an avenger. hell during civil war iron man and reed richards built a super prison and then kept people in there without trail and or due process and neither of them got arrested afterwards. i really think the mutants have gotten a bad deal ever since the avenger characters started getting movies

200% THIS

xeon1cs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By xeon1cs

@Lapsus: Why is it a weak excuse?

It was the Avengers that forced the Phoenix Force, one of the most powerful cosmic entities in the MU, into 5 unprepared people. It was the Avengers that invaded Utopia prior to this, and demanded Scott give his granddaughter to him, or they'd take her. It was the Avengers that thought sending her to the moon or the Negative Zone would have saved Earth. It was Wolverine (He was with the Avengers) who thought killing Hope was the only way to stop it, even though that would have killed them all.

Xavier, Iceman and a number of other mutants betrayed Scott for no reason. Xavier then tried to shut his mind down. All this while the rest of the Avengers beat the shit out of him and Emma. Is ANYONE surprised that he lashed out and turned into the Dark Phoenix? That is exactly what happened to Jean. Why does everyone seem to forget this?

The only "acceptable" ending to this event with in Uncanny X-Men. And I use the term acceptable loosely, because overall it was still a poorly written event that pushed this "X-Men are wrong" thing way harder than it needed.

No Caption Provided
    LoganX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By LoganX360

Cyclops was right , he was like " What the heck these dumb writers dont know the Telepathy / Phoenix Host Requirement " & started looking for hope to return the phoenix force .. knowing how badly avenger comic sales suffered thru the history of wizard magazine & heroes not to mention that 2 dolla bible of a black n white telephone comic news book u got at the final sales counter at apple comics , Cyclops did not want anypart of promoting a bad story just for Hollywood with no blackpanther Avengers movie line . ..poor cyc he was trying..& trying & trying , they even thru in link between kungfu & dragon energy in the mix ..wtf .....& how the hell is NO Phoenix have anything to do with no more mutants . ?? anyways . yeah cyc was right all along .

Enyalios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Enyalios

@LoganX360: There has never been a telepathy/phoenix host requirement. The first time Jean Gray received the powers of the Phoenix, she had no telepathy, he was a pure telekinetic. Her telepathic powers manifested later, after her return, and then she was retconned into having had telepathy all along but having it shut down by Xavier (you know, the guy everyone on this thread is defending even though he has also recently been retconned into having been playing with the minds of his students for years and lets not forget he has been lusting after Jean since she was a child). And you have obviously never read Guardians of the Galaxy and, specifically, Phoenix IX, a baseline human who gains the power of the Phoenix Force.

Cytorrak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Cytorrak

@Crash_Recovery said:

How did Cyclops and the X-Men win ideologically?

They had no evidence of the Phoenix's motivations but were willing to risk an entire planet on a selfish whim.

Even if they knew for certain what the Phoenix would do, they still killed countless civilians and their founder to pursue that goal.

Did Charles Xavier approve of what happened?

Would Jean Gray have?

Their goal was for the Phoenix to enter Hope, and mutantkind to be restored. That was accomplished. They had mountains of evidence of what the Phoenix would do. The writers acted like the Phoenix has only ever been a force of destruction, but tons of characters have had and controlled it for years. Rachel Summers being the most notable example, but Jean controlled it for many storylines without going dark.

They knew exactly what was going to happen because someone from THE FUTURE came and showed them.

Cyclops didn't kill any civilians. To the contrary, he was trying to fix every problem on the planet. It was the other four that became corrupted, and that's because they were three former villains, and a hero under the influence of Cytorrak. It's so much BS that Namor flooded Wakanda, and Wolverine's response is to snikt out his claws and co "SCOTT SUMMERS!" He wasn't even there.

Scott's chunk of the Phoenix Force remained uncorrupted until he got 4/5ths of a corrupted Phoenix Force, and it overwhelmed him, while he was simultaneously attacked and betrayed by EVERYONE.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#58  Edited By McKlayn

@mrmisanthrope said:

@Crash_Recovery said:

How did Cyclops and the X-Men win ideologically?

They had no evidence of the Phoenix's motivations but were willing to risk an entire planet on a selfish whim.

Even if they knew for certain what the Phoenix would do, they still killed countless civilians and their founder to pursue that goal.

Did Charles Xavier approve of what happened?

Would Jean Gray have?

Their goal was for the Phoenix to enter Hope, and mutantkind to be restored. That was accomplished. They had mountains of evidence of what the Phoenix would do. The writers acted like the Phoenix has only ever been a force of destruction, but tons of characters have had and controlled it for years. Rachel Summers being the most notable example, but Jean controlled it for many storylines without going dark.

They knew exactly what was going to happen because someone from THE FUTURE came and showed them.

Cyclops didn't kill any civilians. To the contrary, he was trying to fix every problem on the planet. It was the other four that became corrupted, and that's because they were three former villains, and a hero under the influence of Cytorrak. It's so much BS that Namor flooded Wakanda, and Wolverine's response is to snikt out his claws and co "SCOTT SUMMERS!" He wasn't even there.

Scott's chunk of the Phoenix Force remained uncorrupted until he got 4/5ths of a corrupted Phoenix Force, and it overwhelmed him, while he was simultaneously attacked and betrayed by EVERYONE.

I must say i enjoy reading some one who makes sense when they type ;D (oh btw If Claremount (sp?) was writing (because let's face it characters are twisted and changed by their writers so asking if a Character would do something totally depends on the writer, then yes Jean and Chuck would of approved.)

Blonde shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Blonde shadow

@Osian2: You forgot Scarlet Witch brought the people she killed back from the dead and she has been willing to accept any punishment anyone gives her. Wolverine has been willing to accept any punishment for the people he has killed. More important I'm an X-men fan every since I first saw them on T.V. I didn't even know about these Avengers until about 3-4 years ago, Being a fan of the X-Men and I know about the history of the Phoenix( even that fact the Jean Grey didn't receive the Phoenix force until after Madelyne Pryor died and that it was the Phoenix that killed itself on the blue area of the Moon not Jean). Surly common sense should have hit Cyclops in the first place to work with Captain America in the first place. Cyclops was right but so was Cap. Lets not also forget Hope couldn't handle the phoenix in the beginning when they were on the blue are of the moon she wasn't ready until she trained in Kun' Lun. Cable's training that finding the five lights didn't help her at all. She had to have the combined abilities of the Scarlet Witch and the Iron Fist the only powers that could counter or handle the Phoenix Force.

Avatar image for eternalgrandmaster
    EternalGrandMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Blonde shadow: Captain America being who he is and his role, was more wrong than cyclops in this event. He didn't consult him before requesting an important mutant into his custody with an army behind him. He didn't take the time to understand the Phoenix he simply asked Wolverine who hates it, and Tony and Beast....He Then made the same mistake invaded Scott's home and tried to kidnap Hope to use as ammunition. After that he simply fought cosmic powered mutants endangering everybody and pushed them to fight back and get frustrated with the Avengers causing them to gain complex's as they were gonna replace the Avengers and dictate the world from there.

Cyclops however should have ceased fighting the Avengers and worked with Captain America like he asked after he tried to punk Scott. And when Hope was on the run was the perfect time for a sit down.Cap never rlly understood Cyclops's cause and Cyclops was being irresponsible thinking the Phoenix force can be controlled by a teenager girl.so what if she's destined for it? he was being unfair to Hope as she wasn't ready...He also offered it to her and then denied her the power. Cyclops isn't to blame late in the vent as he was battling Cap's stupid battle against him ,trying to get Hope back and I guess eventually give her the Phoenix force. He just took things to far while trying to be human. They should have killed Avengers imo.....But Cyc was under control of the Phoenix and pushed to the extreme he's not at fault.

soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By soduh2

@EternalGrandMaster: Cap never rlly understood Cyclops's cause and Cyclops was being irresponsible thinking the Phoenix force can be controlled by a teenager girl.so what if she's destined for it? he was being unfair to Hope as she wasn't ready.

Because Rachel Grey was definitely not a teenager when she controlled the phoenix.

Osian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Osian2

@Blonde shadow said:

@Osian2: You forgot Scarlet Witch brought the people she killed back from the dead and she has been willing to accept any punishment anyone gives her. Wolverine has been willing to accept any punishment for the people he has killed. More important I'm an X-men fan every since I first saw them on T.V. I didn't even know about these Avengers until about 3-4 years ago, Being a fan of the X-Men and I know about the history of the Phoenix( even that fact the Jean Grey didn't receive the Phoenix force until after Madelyne Pryor died and that it was the Phoenix that killed itself on the blue area of the Moon not Jean). Surly common sense should have hit Cyclops in the first place to work with Captain America in the first place. Cyclops was right but so was Cap. Lets not also forget Hope couldn't handle the phoenix in the beginning when they were on the blue are of the moon she wasn't ready until she trained in Kun' Lun. Cable's training that finding the five lights didn't help her at all. She had to have the combined abilities of the Scarlet Witch and the Iron Fist the only powers that could counter or handle the Phoenix Force.

All three are willing to accept their punishment but it's only Cyclops who is receiving any (Imprisonment and abuse). Wolverine and Scarlet Witch are now a part of the Uncanny Avengers, the premier superhero team even though their crimes are far worse than Scotts especially Wolverine. Scarlet Witch is getting a free pass because she wasn't in her right mind but Scott getting possessed by the phoenix, a cosmic force that even Jean Grey, an omega level telepath couldn't fully control somehow doesn't count as a good excuse in the Avengers eyes.

xeon1cs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By xeon1cs

@Osian2 said:

@Blonde shadow said:

All three are willing to accept their punishment but it's only Cyclops who is receiving any (Imprisonment and abuse). Wolverine and Scarlet Witch are now a part of the Uncanny Avengers, the premier superhero team even though their crimes are far worse than Scotts especially Wolverine. Scarlet Witch is getting a free pass because she wasn't in her right mind but Scott getting possessed by the phoenix, a cosmic force that even Jean Grey, an omega level telepath couldn't fully control somehow doesn't count as a good excuse in the Avengers eyes.

To be fair, Jean (and Rachel, and pretty much every Phoenix Host) was fine with the Phoenix Force. Jean was only losing control after she got her mind smashed by the Hellfire Club. Apparently Xavier forgot about this, so he decided to play with Scotts mind. Scott lashing out in self-defense after Xavier tried to shut him down mentally is what pushed him over the edge.

But yes, Scott shouldn't be accountable for what happened after he became Dark Phoenix. Everything until that, he was in control, and he was actually doing good in the world until the Avengers decided to poke him over and over, for no reason.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#64  Edited By John Valentine

Why is everyone acting like Hope's this childish victim? She had been trained her whole life (by Cable) to become the Phoenix host!

Avatar image for eternalgrandmaster
    EternalGrandMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@John Valentine: You can't train to become the Avatar of Life & Death all that ever will exist in the UNiverse. It works only for a little while then you fall to your emotions. Pretty much the Phoenix doesn't belong on earth it needs to travel the cosmos doing Phoenix work.

@xeon1cs: Emma started to kill people that committed crimes and never payed for them.She was Phoenix but that's not the way it works on planet earth can't just kill somebody without trail.....Magik n Colossus started making abominations Whale's with lobster legs...

If you Re-Read the event it wasn't that bad until after Issue 8 where they could have written a better story. They ignored to man y elements that was portrayed earlier on.

Remember Scott Made a corpse out of Moon Dust..And Jean Grey mentioned that he wouldn't have done such a thing if he still had his Humanity...And I agree. That Convo with Jean explains why it's dangerous to be The Phoenix. Scott is breaking outta Jail anyway Go Scott!!. I like his fall from grace lets see if he can climb back up the ladder and become a role model again.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By John Valentine

@EternalGrandMaster said:

@John Valentine: You can't train to become the Avatar of Life & Death all that ever will exist in the UNiverse. It works only for a little while then you fall to your emotions. Pretty much the Phoenix doesn't belong on earth it needs to travel the cosmos doing Phoenix work.

Arguable. Rachel Summers was able to control the Phoenix (largely).

xeon1cs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By xeon1cs

@xeon1cs: Emma started to kill people that committed crimes and never payed for them.She was Phoenix but that's not the way it works on planet earth can't just kill somebody without trail.....Magik n Colossus started making abominations Whale's with lobster legs...

If you Re-Read the event it wasn't that bad until after Issue 8 where they could have written a better story. They ignored to man y elements that was portrayed earlier on.

Remember Scott Made a corpse out of Moon Dust..And Jean Grey mentioned that he wouldn't have done such a thing if he still had his Humanity...And I agree. That Convo with Jean explains why it's dangerous to be The Phoenix. Scott is breaking outta Jail anyway Go Scott!!. I like his fall from grace lets see if he can climb back up the ladder and become a role model again.

Except this isn't how the Phoenix works, or how it has ever worked. Jean was just fine, Rachel was just fine. Pretty much every single Phoenix Host was 100% fine, until a 3rd party came and started interfering.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By John Valentine

@xeon1cs said:

Except this isn't how the Phoenix works, or how it has ever worked. Jean was just fine, Rachel was just fine. Pretty much every single Phoenix Host was 100% fine, until a 3rd party came and started interfering.

Bingo!

sonny1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By sonny1

@trutrutru said:

@sonny1:

1 the phoenix did not restore the mutant race hope and scarlet witch did. They used the phoenix to do it.

The Phoenix was still the key to restoring the mutant race. It came to earth for Hope to use as a vessel. Cyclops knew that somehow Hope and the Phoenix could fix the mutant problem. What cyclops did not know is that they would need Scarlet Witch's help. Had cyclops been given the option to work on a solution hand in hand with the Avengers as equals, they could have figured this all out after Hope accepted the Phoenix.

2 If he would have worked with the avengers and let them know what was going on, maybe they would have found a solution together and their was no way in hell he would have let the scarlet witch help.

He wasnt given the option to work with the Avengers. They came to Utopia and said they were taking Hope. period. No discussions. Not only that, but their plan was to kill/stop the Phoenix. They had two attempts. One in space with Thor, and another on the moon with the laser beam that split the Phoenix.

3 He got innocent people killed in the end, and Murdered professor X.

that happened after he was possessed by the Phoenix. Which was the Avengers fault for trying to kill the Phoenix on the moon. Cyclops never asked for the power of the Phoenix. People were only killed at the end after Cyclops repeatedly asked Professor X and the Avengers to stop. They pushed him to that point. The last thing you want to do is stress out the Phoenix host. The knew very well what can happen (dark phoenix) and decided not to let up anyway.

4. The scarlet witch USED her powers along with hope to return the mutants with Hopes. If i am wrong feel free to post the comic to prove it.

Scarlet Witch did use her powers in conjunction with Hope and the PHOENIX (which the avengers wanted to kill) to restore mutants. The point is all this could have happened from jump if the Avengers didnt come to Utopia to forcefully take Hope without approaching a solution to the problem with the x-men hand in hand as equals. They forced Scott's hand.

some things to note when considering how justified the Avengers were in approaching the problem the way they did.

- In all the times the Phoenix has visited the earth, it has never come to destroy the earth.

- Never has a host ever gone dark phoenix upon receiving the phoenix. Both Jean Grey and Rachel Grey handled the phoenix without issue, with jean only going dark Phoenix due to being manipulated.

If you can prove that the arrival of the phoenix and it finding a host is an automatic, right off the bat, disaster for the planet earth (or even automatic dark phoenix), feel free to post the comic to prove it.

Here's the problem with your whole synopsis, the phoenix was destroying life on other planets along it's path to earth. And for all the avengers knew it was a danger to the entire planet. They wanted to take Hope into protective custody in order to protect the rest of the planet and maybe determine what was going on. Hell the avengers have some of the smartest people on the planet. Having a hunch and being lucky is different than knowing something. Beast being a scientist and having first hand knowledge of the phoenix was probably the most qualified to make that call and with wolverine knowing Scott captain America followed his advice. You are just making excuses for Cyclops. Again according to nova the phoenix force was taking out planets. The avengers weren't taking a chance. And even with Scott having control of the force he didn't bather to return the mutants race back to it's original numbers. He instead decided to act like a god like the rest of the phoenix 5.

When it comes down to it. Scott acted like a jerk. Honestly I never really cared for him as a character anyway.

It was the avengers that ultimately set things right

No Caption Provided

Even in the clip on the right you can see that Captain America was still trying to work with Scott summers, but Scott being the prick he is had to show out.

I guess you can write anything and fan boys and girls will eat it up.

Vec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Vec
    No Caption Provided
    Madame_Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Madame_Mist

Cyke was right. The Avengers take all the glory but none of the struggle.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By lykopis

@sonny1: Pretty much feel the same as you. Great breakdown.

@Vec said:

No Caption Provided

Now this --this is what I needed to see, lol. Don't agree with Kanye (which makes it even funnier) but seriously, this is awesome. :)

tahmidk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By tahmidk

Lol at all the captain america fanboys, all of this is caps fault for coming up to utopia and making threats and ridiculous demands and treats cykes as the big bad when he brought a small army of superheroes for a full scale assault. What happened if cykes gave hope? where would they put her? where the hell would they hide her from a cosmic entity? so retarded. What they were going to train her? Like cykes and cable have been doing for her whole life? Captain America was a simple street thug and a total prick

chocobojam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By chocobojam

honestly i think that the avengers part in this whole AvX theme is to split phoenix into five, so marvel has an excuse to make AvX 12 issues longer. because no matter what others say, there is nothing the avengers can do about the phoenix when it comes to earth looking for hope. they might as well surrender hope to the phoenix. but then again, there would not be an AvX story and it would only be around 4 to 6 issues only.

in the end, cyclops was right and theres nothing cap and his avengers can do about it to begin with.

Vec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Vec

I do think Iron Man with his new found faith realizes that what he did in AvX was wrong and that him splitting the Phoenix caused most of the the problems with the Phoenix five.

trutrutru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By trutrutru

@sonny1:

Here's the problem with your whole synopsis, the phoenix was destroying life on other planets along it's path to earth. And for all the avengers knew it was a danger to the entire planet.

Careful. The word "Knew" implies it being a fact. Which it wasnt. The Phoenix was not a danger to the entire planet. It has never been before, so why now?

Also, even the Avengers knew the Phoenix was coming for Host. Now if it needed Hope as a host, why would it destroy the planet her host is on, destroying her host? We saw that planets were destroyed on its way over, so clearly it does not need a host in order to destroy the earth. Meaning the fact it had a host picked out should be indication enough of the Earth being safe from destruction.

the avengers just couldnt put 2 and 2 together.

They wanted to take Hope into protective custody in order to protect the rest of the planet and maybe determine what was going on.

determine what was going on? Oh, was that what that laser was trying to do when it split the Phoenix? determine and analyze the situation?

They wanted to put Hope in to protective custody out of fear of something they did not understand at all. And given that the Phoenix was destroying planets on its way over to the earth while in its raw form, would it not be in the planet's best interest that it find a host rather than being in a form that has been accidentally destroying planets on its trip over to the earth? If the Avengers truly believed it would harm the earth, would that plan not be incredibly reckless of them? Why open up the possibilities of unknowns you could not possibly adequately prepare for.

either you risk destroying your own planet by keeping the Phoenix from its host and exposing the planet to its raw form, which has been destroying planets in its travel over to the earth.

or the Phoenix reaches Hope anyway, and is instead angered when it finds itself in Protective custody. The last thing you wanna do is piss off the Phoenix, we've all seen what could possibly happen when that occurs.

Hell the avengers have some of the smartest people on the planet.

and yet they've managed to escalate things and cause things to get worse at every opportunity presented to them. Real smart.

Having a hunch and being lucky is different than knowing something.

What is so lucky about the Phoenix repopulating the mutant race? The Phoenix Force is one of the most powerful forces in the universe and has been a being of not only destruction, but also Rebirth. It has also been able to do things one would not think would be possible. Its almost as if almost anything can be achieved with the power of the Phoenix with the right host.

For example, Jean Grey as The White Phoenix of the Crown was able to change the future of a universe by reaching back in time and pushing Cyclops to move on with his life

you add this with information Cable gave Cyclops. Cyclops knowing the Phoenix's essence of death and rebirth, and it isnt hard to see why he would feel the way he would feel.

Beast being a scientist and having first hand knowledge of the phoenix was probably the most qualified to make that call and with wolverine knowing Scott captain America followed his advice.

and im sure their personal relationships with cyclops in no way shape or form would influence what position they would take in relation to Cyclop's plan. Both individuals you named have had a grudge with cyclops and have negatively towards him. Its funny that cyclops is often considered to be too "close" to the situation to be allowed to deal with it. That he wouldnt think logically as a result. Yet Captain America makes decisions based on info provided by individuals who could be accused of being influenced in a similar manner when it comes to matters involving cyclops.

and what was Beasts assessment? and does the fact that he was wrong not weaken him as a point of reference? we all now know the Phoenix never came to destroy the earth. So why put much weight in any who claimed the earth was in danger and that the Phoenix needed to be stopped.

You are just making excuses for Cyclops. Again according to nova the phoenix force was taking out planets.

Good for Nova...but that doesnt mean that was its purpose in arriving to earth. Why would that be the natural assumption to champion to the point of going to war with the x-men? It has never been the case before? why now? if it was going to destroy the earth, why would it even need a host? none of that adds up.

The avengers weren't taking a chance. And even with Scott having control of the force he didn't bather to return the mutants race back to it's original numbers. He instead decided to act like a god like the rest of the phoenix 5.

Yes, as i outlined earlier in this post, the avengers did take a huge risk. If anything, have they succeeded, they would have put the earth in more danger than the x-men plan ever would have. They were stubborn and reckless.

yeah, ridding the planet of weapons of mass destruction, providing food, and free energy. Horrible, just horrible. Also, it was like 4 months after they assumed the power of the Phoenix 5 that Hope asked for the power of the Phoenix. By that time, although not off the deep end, were already being corrupted by the Phoenix force. He couldnt give it to her right away, because she had rejected it.

as Wanda said, Hope was the only one with the strength to let go of the Phoenix. What fault is that of cyclops? He never asked for the Phoenix force for himself or the other 5. It was meant for Hope, and the Avengers messed that up. It was a power they were not able to let go. They never asked for it though. Who's fault is it they got hold of that corruptible power in the first place???

When it comes down to it. Scott acted like a jerk. Honestly I never really cared for him as a character anyway.

who wouldnt in this situation. your race is on the brink of extinction. And you have Captain america trying to take your only chance of repopulating mutants based on assumptions about a force he has had very little experience with. Fearing things that need not be feared given the history of the phoenix and the earth. As it turns out, Phoenix has been visiting the earth for ages according to that iron fist story relating to the Phoenix. There was just no reason for them to think it was coming to destroy the earth; it has never done so and there being a host was the biggest give away. Geniuses....

to me, cyclops is presently one of the more interesting characters in the marvel universe in terms of character development and potential to push future story arcs (at least as far as the xbooks are concerned). Thankfully he isnt dead, and will keep all the character growth he's earned over the last couple years.

It was the avengers that ultimately set things right

not at all....if they sat back and assisted the x-men's plan of action instead of trying to disrupt their plans, this whole situation could have been solved a lot sooner and with zero lives lost. The Avengers didnt do anything, in fact, it was Wanda and Hope ultimately set things right.

cyclops believed Hope and the Phoenix were the key to restoring mutants. thats 2/3 of the solution from jump...had the avengers been helpful, they could have brought Wanda to the table to complete what was needed...nowhere in there does trying to destroy the phoenix...nor keeping Hope from the Phoenix accomplish what was ultimately accomplished. So to credit the Avengers is just silly considering it was the opposite of what they trying to do throughout the entire event.

cyclops was right. Hope, the Phoenix, and Wanda ultimately set things right, despite the Avenger's best efforts throughout the course of the event.

trutrutru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By trutrutru

and about the conversation between cyclops and captain america.

it clearly shows that any sort of discussions cyclops would want in regard to this would happen "another day"....as in..no matter what...we're taking Hope. So great..they try and stop Hope from hosting the Phoenix....try and kill the phoenix...and only after any chance for the mutant race is erased....then they can have a discussion????

and then captain america later states that he "wasnt asking".....meaning there is no discussion here....im telling you whats going to happen.

dont know why you bothered throwing that up..it only proves the point that Cyclops was given no options. Cyclops wasnt given the opportunity to work hand in hand on this as equals. His hand was forced.

SaintJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By SaintJohn

The NEW Cyclops has MORE fans than he did than before so the old fans can screw off. The new version of him actually makes him cool, it shows progression of a character. He learned over the years and by the many many deaths that the old way wasnt working and that you have to get your hands dirty. That to me makes him a GREAT character, Just think about it.

Growing up you were taught "save people who hate you, while not killing anyone" and at the same time your fighting enemies that doesn't mind killing(Sinister,Sabretooth, Apocalypse). That doesn't sound stupid to anyone? Who many people in the world if given powers would save people who spit on you, disrespect you, and try to kill you after you save them? Not one person. So that make sense that he has changed into a badass who is more calculating and cold. Now say Superman for example hasn't progressed as a character at all in 60 years, he is still the same and basically havent learned anything from the deaths over the years.

…teamcyclops x

Now when the P5 were doing nothing but helping the world what happened? The Avengers hopped in.Avengers strike 1

For any real fan of X-Men knows that the phoenix has came to earth many times and never tried to destroy the world.So Cap WAS WRONG. Avengers strike 2

The X-Men are the best ones to handle the Phoenix situation because..........................THEY WERE THE ONLY ONES TO EVER DEAL WITH IT. So for the Avengers to hop in they were wrong. Especially when they know the X-Men have always dealt with it. Avengers strike 3

Wanda has not been punished in any way for her actions and she did worst than Cyclops.

Wolverine is a MASS murderer but isn't punished.

but Cyclops is but through the ringer even though he was possessed.Hmmmmm interesting no one has even been mind co trolled or possessed and did bad things.

soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#80  Edited By soduh2

@trutrutru:

as Wanda said, Hope was the only one with the strength to let go of the Phoenix.

Wanda retroactively defended Cyclops.

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By acer51

Without the Kungfu training and Scarlet witch help Hope wouldn't have been able to control the Phoniex.

So it was Hopes destiny, but these events had to take place before she could gain full control.

VesKaGan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By VesKaGan

@acer51 said:

Without the Kungfu training and Scarlet witch help Hope wouldn't have been able to control the Phoniex.

So it was Hopes destiny, but these events had to take place before she could gain full control.

Sure, all those years with Cable taught her nothing, but three days of carrying buckets in K'un Lun did the trick...

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By acer51

@VesKaGan said:

@acer51 said:

Sure, all those years with Cable taught her nothing, but three days of carrying buckets in K'un Lun did the trick...

She needed the Cable training too, but learning the Ironfist allowed her to take Cyclops power.

trutrutru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By trutrutru

@acer51: not true. Hope was the legitimate host of the Phoenix. It was going to come to her regardless, after it being taken out of cyclops. Also, not jean nor rachel nor countless other mutants ever needed any KungFu training to host the Phoenix. So it was definitely not needed.

80sBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By 80sBaby

Hope isn't Jean, Rachel or any of the other hosts. It was made clear she needed the training, as well as Wanda, so that's pretty much that. Whether you or I think it should've been written that way is irrelevant.

trutrutru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By trutrutru

@80sBaby said:

Hope isn't Jean, Rachel or any of the other hosts. It was made clear she needed the training, as well as Wanda, so that's pretty much that. Whether you or I think it should've been written that way is irrelevant.

No she isnt jean. But just like Jean..she is a chosen Host. As was Raechel. So they have that in common. Beyond that, Hope has been trained from birth. She was being trained on Utopia, before the Avengers derailed any chance for more training. So not only does she have more training than jean had at the time she got the Phoenix, but she at least had some knowledge of it, unlike jean. All the factors pulled together, and you have someone who's been prepped more than Jean grey was. Someone who handled the Phoenix without issue.

In the fight with Bastion Hope tapped into the power of the Phoenix...you could see the flames...after we see that new mutants were emerging. This happened as a result of her tapping into the Phoenix power...not releasing it..not letting it go...in keeping it.....consider that evidence that Hope has the ability to restore the x-gene while keeping the Phoenix force....it would not have revived it in one shot the way it did with Wanda's help, but it could have been done over a longer period of time.

as far as needing more training.......yes she did....but the x-men never got a chance to finish their training.....there was enough time to battle it out on utopia....have a bunch of skirmishes....cyclops visit the mansion....do a worldwide search for Hope...and travel to the moon....all that time that could have been used to to wrap up Hope's training.

more training was needed...but only under the circumstances created by the Avenger's stubbornness and incompetence. so thats pretty much that.

80sBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By 80sBaby

Too bad eveything you wrote doesn't matter since the writers made it clear Hope needed the additional training. Again, whether or not you think she did, even if it's based on "logic" and previous host experiences, is irrelevant. The writers make the decisions not the readers. You may not like/agree with what they wrote but it is what it is. We can guess what might have happened if things went differently but that's a pointless exercise, imo, since we're not dealing with any actual science and the data is dependent on writers' whims. Hope needed the Iron Fist training & Wanda because the actual books said she did. Period.

trutrutru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By trutrutru

Too bad eveything you wrote doesn't matter since the writers made it clear Hope needed the additional training.

yeah...under the circumstances created by the Avengers....Hope needed that additional training........as i stated before. Them fighting the X-men keeps the x-men from providing any additional training before the Phoenix arrives....lol..nice try though

Again, whether or not you think she did, even if it's based on "logic" and previous host experiences, is irrelevant.

Its not irrelevant because those facts and logic prove that everything accomplished in regards to the re-population of mutants could have been accomplished without any of what transpired as a result of Avengers picking a fight with the X-men.

The writers make the decisions not the readers.

You may not like/agree with what they wrote but it is what it is.

im not saying that the writers are wrong...lol.....what im saying is that in material leading up to this event, and in past issues in the marvel universe in general provide evidence that Mutants being restored could still have been accomplished , although differently, under a scenario in which the Avengers dont invade Utopia.

Hope needing spiderman/ironfist training is true given the circumstances at that particular time. All im saying is that there is plenty of material out there that suggests this could have been done without them, had the circumstances been different.

Hope needing them at that particular time...is different than them being the end all and be all to her hosting the Phoenix period. Her needing them at that particular time is different than her exclusively needing them to have hosted the Phoenix period. Im not sure how i can make this any clearer.

We can guess what might have happened if things went differently but that's a pointless exercise, imo, since we're not dealing with any actual science and the data is dependent on writers' whims.

first off. this is a forum. For you to have that stance on this issue makes you even being in a forum a pointless exercise. The whole point of these types of places are to discuss these sort of things. Us not analyzing events, discussing their outcomes and reasons for whatever conflicts that come up in the issues we read, renders the point of these forums pointless. This is what these things are for. period.

Secondly. all this data is dependent on the whims of writers. And past whims suggest clear facts that allow us to logically conclude that how things unfolded in this event are not the ONLY way mutants would have been restored. Im not trying to apply real world examples to comics. Its all common territory here. Just comparing present writer whims to past ones.

Hope needed the Iron Fist training & Wanda because the actual books said she did. Period.

ok....but the actual comic books also said these other things....that after Hope having tapped into the Phoenix power, mutants started popping up.....that a decent amount of time passed between the Avengers arriving to Utopia to the fight on the Moon where the avengers created the P5 (time that could have been used training hope)....im just using information from said books to illustrate that had the Avengers not interfered, we could have had the same result in regards to mutant coming back

Do these books specifically say that Iron fist and wanda were the ONE AND ONLY way to accomplish Hope hosting the Phoenix and restarting the X-gene? do they outright prove that is the case?

i say the answer is no.....

-about ironfist training....although they werent an option based on circumstances....Unit made reference to the LIGHTS as being an option in aiding Hope hosting the Phoenix.....again..circumstances did not allow this...but there it is, mention of a method different than ironfist/spiderman training....

also, im not saying that at that time she did not need more training....but that was due to circumstances created by the Avengers. The x-men were never given an opportunity to wrap up Hope's training.

-about wanda...i'll refer you to Hope tapping into the Phoenix force resulting in the appearance of new mutants

There is a big difference between a story telling us.."hey, this is how things unfolded. And here are what transpired as a result"...and it outright telling us "this is the only way these things could have transpired". And because it doesnt outright tell us there was no other way......and there are previous issues that suggest it could have been done different....i can come to the conclusion that depending on the circumstance, things could have been done different.

there is a difference between a story telling us that under those specific circumstances, Hope needed the ironfist training......and it telling us that she absolutely unequivocally could not have done it without that ironfist training. two completely different things. period

desmond006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#89  Edited By desmond006

Cap and wolverine should have stayed out of it or at least offered help. Their plan was terrible from the start.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By John Valentine

@80sBaby said:

Too bad eveything you wrote doesn't matter since the writers made it clear Hope needed the additional training. Again, whether or not you think she did, even if it's based on "logic" and previous host experiences, is irrelevant. The writers make the decisions not the readers. You may not like/agree with what they wrote but it is what it is. We can guess what might have happened if things went differently but that's a pointless exercise, imo, since we're not dealing with any actual science and the data is dependent on writers' whims. Hope needed the Iron Fist training & Wanda because the actual books said she did. Period.

Yeah, I read what the books said, but I don't think it makes sense.

Even if she needed additional training, were the Avengers really the ones to give it to her? Why didn't Captain America come forward with Iron First and tell Cyke's team about the prophecy, opposed to turning up with two Hellcarriers on the shores of Utopia and demand that they hand Hope over?

I think hard experience with the Phoenix (something the X-Men have) is probably more relevant to training Hope than some mystical prophecy. Just my logic.

Still, having both of them train her would have been even better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing in AvX made any damn sense

80sBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By 80sBaby

@John Valentine: Whether it "makes sense" to us means nothing. The writers are, for all intents/purposes, the God of these books. What they say goes, logic be damned! But I agree, Cap should've approached the situation differently but that's because you and I have the benefit of seeing things from the outside. I can completely understand why both Cap and Cyke handled things the way they did, from their individual POV's. That's kinda the point of the entire series and why the Uncanny Avengers was formed. Both parties messed up, which is why I find it funny that some X-Fans are proudly proclaiming 'Cyclops was RIGHT!!!' as though there's not blame on both sides.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#93  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@80sBaby said:

@John Valentine: Whether it "makes sense" to us means nothing. The writers are, for all intents/purposes, the God of these books. What they say goes, logic be damned! But I agree, Cap should've approached the situation differently but that's because you and I have the benefit of seeing things from the outside. I can completely understand why both Cap and Cyke handled things the way they did, from their individual POV's. That's kinda the point of the entire series and why the Uncanny Avengers was formed. Both parties messed up, which is why I find it funny that some X-Fans are proudly proclaiming 'Cyclops was RIGHT!!!' as though there's not blame on both sides.

At the end of the day Cyclops WAS right and if the righters where god then there wouldn't be such thing as PIS

80sBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By 80sBaby

Jonny_Anonymous: No. At the end of the day, Cyclops was both right AND wrong, just like Cap. As I said, that was the point of the story being told. PIS doesn't actually applly here since this situation with the Phoenix was completely different than the others. Prior to this event, the PF has never been shown as having a special interest in mutant-only affairs.

trutrutru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By trutrutru

@desmond006 said:

Cap and wolverine should have stayed out of it or at least offered help. Their plan was terrible from the start.

agreed....

if they had become successful in keeping the Phoenix from finding a host...would that not have been more risky than it finding one? Would you rather have the phoenix around the earth in the same form it was in when accidentally taking out all those other planets on its way over?

considering it was known by all that the phoenix had a host picked out....them fearing the destruction of the earth is just alarmist....it doesnt need a host to destroy planets...clearly it had other intentions....either of caps or wolverines plans are far more reckless than what cyclops had in mind

Ijan092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Ijan092

How do we really know the true intentions of the phoenix force? since the beginning of AVX it was on a path of annihilation. What happen in the moon was because Hope at first didn't want the power then Stark divided the phoenix and since originally it didn't have it host it looked for five (which it wasn't meant to them because they could barely control it.) In my opinion both sides were right, It brought death and rebirth.

Skunkstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Skunkstein

He was a complete idiot... a lucky idiot, but a complete idiot. Cap was idiotic in many of his actions but his reasons were logical, Cyclops was just an utter complete idiot.

If we took this big gambles about the earth faith just 2 times ever decade we would differently not be alive today.

Lets make the choice; 50/50 save the mutants or destroy the earth... any person saying, ''sure why the hell not'' should differently not be in any position of power.

gambit75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By gambit75

Cap had no logical reasons because he and the Avengers only idiotic plan was to kidnap Hope forcefully from her guardian Cyclops, who was training and preparing Hope for the coming of the Phoenix.

xmentas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#99  Edited By xmentas

@gambit75 said:

Cap had no logical reasons because he and the Avengers only idiotic plan was to kidnap Hope forcefully from her guardian Cyclops, who was training and preparing Hope for the coming of the Phoenix.

as well as possibly kill her...which was Wolverines plan. Basically there plan was "lets keep her here so she breaks out one the phoenix comes to earth or let's possibly kill her too."

trutrutru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By trutrutru

@Skunkstein said:

He was a complete idiot... a lucky idiot, but a complete idiot. Cap was idiotic in many of his actions but his reasons were logical, Cyclops was just an utter complete idiot.

If we took this big gambles about the earth faith just 2 times ever decade we would differently not be alive today.

Lets make the choice; 50/50 save the mutants or destroy the earth... any person saying, ''sure why the hell not'' should differently not be in any position of power.

im pretty sure keeping the phoenix from its host is probably the biggest gamble considering that without a host, the earth would have been exposed to the phoenix in the very same form it was unintentionally destroying planets on its way over.

it having a host picked out should be evidence enough it wasnt going to destroy the earth, as it doesnt need a host to do so. Clearly it had other intentions.

also, considering that there has never really been a phoenix transformation that resulted in an automatic, right off the bat transformation into the dark phoenix, as it takes serious emotional and mental stress to cause such a transformation, i fail to see what threat the earth was in.

the phoenix has always had a special interest in earth...which is why it constantly returns to it.....its almost ludicrous to think it would without reason, come to destroy it..makes no sense

the only one acting irresponsibly and recklessly is Cap

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.