Follow

Cyclops

Character » Cyclops appears in 11209 issues.

The first X-Man, Scott Summers possesses the mutant ability to fire powerful concussive blasts through his eyes that act as a portal to another dimension full of the force that makes up his optic blast. He is visually distinctive for the ruby quartz visor he wears to control his devastating power. A born leader, Cyclops succeeded his mentor Professor X to command the X-Men.

Can he run out of power?

_Magnus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By _Magnus_

could he run out of energy for his optic blasts?

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By PrinceIMC

Yes, during the Apocalypse and the Twelve storyline in the late 90's early 2000's he did. If he's away from sunlight for an extended period and overuses his optic blasts he can run out of power.

One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By One_Eye

@_Magnus_: Yeah, I believe it takes him approximately 16 minutes to recharge... As far as I know I recall his power will still be active but the output will be reduced substantially.

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By TheOptimist

They should really figure out how to harness the energy once released, into some form of battery or generator of some form... couple hours a day and he could solve a nation's energy crisis.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Trodorne
    @TheOptimist: or he gets kryptonian skin cells that store the energy of the yellow sun.
    Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- If I had Emma Frost in my bed I would mainline Red Bull to make sure I didn't run out of energy....oh, your talking about his powers, my bad

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

He just gets tired from using it and the blasts weaken, at least that's from my understanding.

_Magnus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By _Magnus_
    @PrinceIMC: @One_Eye: nice thanks dudes
    BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By BatteredArmor
    @_Magnus_

Instresting question. The way his powers work is that his eyes are portals to a dimminsion filled with non-einstenien opticc energy and the portals in his eyes are fueld by solar energy but his optic blast themselves is not made from solar energy .In practice yes the eventual result is he  "runs out of energy" however in theory he cannot since his energy fills an entire other dimension and no matter how long Cyke lives he probably cannot exaust an entire dimension worth of energy. however he can run out of solar energy and as such the portals to this other dimension would close thus he would be cut off from his energy but still he technically didn't run out he just lost contact with it. also he can become exausted and need to stop channeling the energy so once again while he did not run out of energy he can be cut off. The simplest answer that sais it all is that while cyke can never run out of energy for his optic blast he can run out of both physical and solar energy thus loosing connection to his optic energy and effectivly running out
    Avatar image for deactivated-60e87a786cc9c
    deactivated-60e87a786cc9c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I want him to see let loose on galactus/or ego to see if he can move them.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 god_spawn  Moderator

@mrnihal: He’s already cut loose and couldn’t move the Hulk...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well,that's why I said I want it.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 god_spawn  Moderator

@mrnihal: You just said you wanted to see him cut loose to see if he can move them. That’s a far cry in strength from going max and while ripping the skin of WWH is definitely a good feat, Ego and Galactus is a very high jump. Won’t happen unless he gets some PF boost again.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 god_spawn  Moderator

And no, he doesn’t run out of power since he’s connected to another dimension. The amount of power that leaks through, however, depends on his energy expenditure until he gets tired, he rests a bit, he’s Gucci.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Practice makes a man perfect,lol.Here to lot's of practice scott.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

Practice hellps, but he’s not going to be a threat to those level of characters anytime soon.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But again he already hurt dormamu.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 god_spawn  Moderator

@mrnihal: And Spider-Man beat Firelord. Wolverine was taken out by a guy with a cattle prod that wanted to eat him in a comic written by a chef. Things happen, doesn’t mean they are consistent with the character.

And it’s also arguable Dormammu was weakened in some capacity due to Magik’s limbo going nuts. Regardless, him hurting Dormammu was nothing but fan service and bad writing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well,writers just need to acknowledge his power-up from this & go on with it.Then it won't be fan service anymore.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 god_spawn  Moderator

No writer has taken it seriously. Bendis didn’t considering Cyke was a one and done type deal in blasting and had people tanking his beams fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c522ab96172e
    deactivated-5c522ab96172e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn said:

@mrnihal: And Spider-Man beat Firelord. Wolverine was taken out by a guy with a cattle prod that wanted to eat him in a comic written by a chef. Things happen, doesn’t mean they are consistent with the character.

And it’s also arguable Dormammu was weakened in some capacity due to Magik’s limbo going nuts. Regardless, him hurting Dormammu was nothing but fan service and bad writing.

I don't think it's arguably anymore, like, Dormmamu went straight up to Magik in Uncanny X-Men(2013)#5 and told her word-by-word that was pretty much dying and was going cease to exist given the effects of Limbo on the Dark Dimension(His source of power), which was being ripped apart:

No Caption Provided

And the exchange above was before the whole deal with the X-Men and Cyclops by quite some time IIRC, meaning the effects became even more severe. They even started Uncanny X-Men(2013)#7 with a dialogue from Magik and Doctor Strange discussing that's extremely abnormal why Dormammu even attacked Limbo only now, corroborating to the idea that Dormmy came to stop Magik's powers over the dimension from destroying his own and killing him:

No Caption Provided

Now, I don't pretend to know exactly how much Dormammu was weakened, but the pieces of evidence point out to a considerable level if had to do all that was so desperate if believed that was going to die because of it. Anyway, those are just my thoughts on the topic in specific. Sorry to suddenly intromit myself in the talk.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah,you are alright.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 god_spawn  Moderator

@andromeda101: Nah, it’s cool. I didn’t remember the exact context, but I knew he wasn’t up to par.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.